ADVERTISEMENT

If I’m Luke Nathan . . .

zebnatto

All Conference
May 7, 2008
. . . And I’m trying to figure out how to get a few minutes these are the two skills I work on: draw the charge, hit corner jumper.

Reactions: dkostus
Guys, he will most likely never make an impact here. If we have a rash of injuries and he has a moment or two then great for him, but he is a walk on for a reason, he doesn't have Big Ten Talent

Nobody on here was saying they expect the kid to start, they're rooting for a walk-on to work his ass off on fundamentals so he can take advantage if he does get a chance.

No need to shit on that sentiment. The walk ins work very, very hard for the program without much glory. And with the improving talent, if the kid ever does get some time that will show pretty great progress for him.

Nobody on here was saying they expect the kid to start, they're rooting for a walk-on to work his ass off on fundamentals so he can take advantage if he does get a chance.

No need to shit on that sentiment. The walk ins work very, very hard for the program without much glory. And with the improving talent, if the kid ever does get some time that will show pretty great progress for him.

I am not "shitting" on anyone. I see people ask about him all the time like he is some hidden gem walk-on, he is not. That is all I was saying

Everyone should know what walkons do...work hard in practice, challenge the starters with extreme effort and cheer during the games. Nothing wrong with that. And, if a few guys get hurt, be ready to step in to contribute.

Reactions: Scangg
I am not "shitting" on anyone. I see people ask about him all the time like he is some hidden gem walk-on, he is not. That is all I was saying
Didn't mean just you, but yeah... I'm not expecting him to be some hidden gem, but if he surprises and contributes it will be nothing but a bonus and due to some crazy work on his part. (Or the complete collapse of the team through injury or something else, but I'm looking for the positive here.)

Reactions: zebnatto
I'm not hating on him either. Being a walk on just means you love the game and being part of a team. If he was only looking for playing time he could have went to a lower level. A lot of respect for a kid who loves the game that much

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
No one mentioned or implied hidden gem. If there are a few games where he can contribute 6-8 mins it’s a plus. The OP IS “”If I’m Luke Nathan.” I assume the kid would like to see some action.

Reactions: Scangg
If I am him,I get my degree from one of the Top 50 universities in the world,play hard as many minutes as Coach Pike gives him,and if I don't end up playing overseas and want to stay involved in the game,try to make connections that lead to coaching,academic roles like Mark Peterson,or athletic department roles like Shawn Tucker has from football.

Last edited:
Reactions: higgins3
If I'm Luke Nathan, I'm working my ass off in practice to try to make my teammates better, doing whatever I can to support them on and off the court, and bringing positive energy in the locker room and from the bench.

I'm also working hard on defense and positioning, and passing/ball movement... and showing high energy in practice diving for loose balls and making hustle plays. Giving good defensive minutes and helping the ball move within the flow of the offense will get me on the floor for Pike long before any ability to make an elbow jumper.

Having been a walk on, I sometimes don't appreciate some of the attitudes displayed on this site towards walkons, regardless of the sport. It is not unusual for walkons to be among the hardest workers. While you can't bank on it, there are times walkons break through and become major contributors.

Having been a walk on, I sometimes don't appreciate some of the attitudes displayed on this site towards walkons, regardless of the sport. It is not unusual for walkons to be among the hardest workers. While you can't bank on it, there are times walkons break through and become major contributors.

I think Luke will contribute as a Senior. Particularly with this staff pushing him and a lot of talent around him. You never know...

Was our baseball shortstop a walk on this year? He did pretty well.

Thats great for you! Congrats on the accomplishment, but I can't remember the last time a walk on in basketball made an impact. That was all I was saying. Yes I know in Football, Baker Mayfield went from "walk-on" to Heisman and #1 pick, but I think he also had legit offers so his story is a little different. I get it that being a walk on, you don't get the glory or the freebies that the schollie guys get and it must suck, all I was saying is he likely will never make any impact on the court, and I see countless posts about people talking about him. Don't take any offense to this I wasn't trying to discredit you or any other walk on in sports.

Thats great for you! Congrats on the accomplishment, but I can't remember the last time a walk on in basketball made an impact. That was all I was saying. Yes I know in Football, Baker Mayfield went from "walk-on" to Heisman and #1 pick, but I think he also had legit offers so his story is a little different. I get it that being a walk on, you don't get the glory or the freebies that the schollie guys get and it must suck, all I was saying is he likely will never make any impact on the court, and I see countless posts about people talking about him. Don't take any offense to this I wasn't trying to discredit you or any other walk on in sports.

Not many, but there are outlier success stories. Scottie Pippen, Jeff Hornacek... and really going into the wayback machine, Jim Boeheim.

What the fck do you mean by "impact." Like I said above, if there are a few games where he can play 6-8 minutes of passable D and maybe hit a couple of corner 3's we're talking a plus. Not a 20mpg guy who averages 10 and 8.

It not so much the opinion he will not make an impact on the court. He most likely will not. It is the catty and disrespectful comments some make. You are also right. Outside of football and bball, few players are on full scholarships in other sports because partial scholarships can be given in the those sports. It would be more common for a walkon to succeed as there really isn't a difference between someone on a 25% scholarship and a walkon.

This^.
Wasn't Ethan Happ a walk on? I may be off that one. Either way, there have been walkons at major programs that have turned into productive players. I would bet that Nathan would have had high major offers had he been 30 to 40 lds heavier. It's not like he's clumsy or has no skills. He just wasn't enough of an athletic freak for high majors to offer a 6'10" kid that was only 185lds. He's a project to add strength/weight to. High majors don't take projects like that unless the kid is a plus 7 footer. If he gains that strength and weight, he should be a contributor other than just a practice player and bench cheer leader.

Reactions: dkostus
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT