ADVERTISEMENT

If it’s only conference play for this year...

BigEastPhil

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2007
- Does schedule stay at 20 or do they expand schedule to 26 games so you play total conference round robin?

- Do you think a conference post season tournament still occurs?

Just curious what people’s thoughts are.....presuming no outbreak of COVID

Looking more long term, I wonder if B1G 10 sees benefit in playing even more games in conference due to medical / health protocols and increased B1G 10 tv revenues and more conference games than 20 becomes the norm.

Last edited:
The one issue I see with playing conference only games that you can’t really judge which conference are better than others

in order to differentiate conferences for the NCAA selection and seeding process it requires having some sort of on the court comparison of the relative strength of the different confrences, which means you need OOC games. A lot of the OOC shapes the net rankings (RPI) as well

I am more curious of football and basketball at same time? Saturday football, Sunday basketball? May Madness?

I would guess 26 B1G games and if lucky, whomever is at .500 or better in league, has a chance to dance.

Reactions: dkostus
It is hard to believe that RU is set for their best season in three decades and the season is very much in doubt and filled with so much uncertainty. The only thing I think is for sure, there will be a college basketball season. NCAA, conferences, and schools athletic departments can’t survive another year without Tournament and TV Deals payout.

My guess is ...(assuming no real change with covid situation)

-26 game Big Ten Only season beginning in January
-Weekday games and an attempt to avoid cross over with your football program having same day weekend game. But sure we will see afternoon football and night time hoops for some Saturdays
-No Fans allowed unless their is released vaccine/ new treatment
-May Madness, a first. With the selection process even more difficult given conference only records for most if not all Power Five schools. The Little guy getting in from mid majors will be tourney winners only more than ever

The Big East is following suit for fall sports. So far sayin it won't affect basketball.

How do you have remote learning with kids not going to classrooms but allow sports to occur?

Optics bad.

You do realize that's how most students who travel during games during the week, actually go through the process?? It's really just never discussed because it's not relevant to the shooting percentages or whether we box out or can we improve our 3 point defense.

Optics are only relevant if you're allowing an outside influence to change your mindset. Since this wouldn't change how we function now, I don't see any issue.

Put me firmly in the camp of if the student body isn't on campus there shouldn't be sports. That goes for any school.

Having said that is the RAC still the RAC with 4500 in attendance and who doesn't get in ?

Reactions: dkostus
- Does schedule stay at 20 or do they expand schedule to 26 games so you play total conference round robin?

- Do you think a conference post season tournament still occurs?

Just curious what people’s thoughts are.....presuming no outbreak of COVID

Looking more long term, I wonder if B1G 10 sees benefit in playing even more games in conference due to medical / health protocols and increased B1G 10 tv revenues and more conference games than 20 becomes the norm.
As I suspected, B1G 10 per Carino is considering a conference only schedule round robin. 26 games.

Put me firmly in the camp of if the student body isn't on campus there shouldn't be sports. That goes for any school.

Having said that is the RAC still the RAC with 4500 in attendance and who doesn't get in ?

If there’s a season, I don’t think there will be ANY fans in attendance.

And, no, the RAC isn’t the RAC without fans.

You do realize that's how most students who travel during games during the week, actually go through the process?? It's really just never discussed because it's not relevant to the shooting percentages or whether we box out or can we improve our 3 point defense.

Optics are only relevant if you're allowing an outside influence to change your mindset. Since this wouldn't change how we function now, I don't see any issue.

I don’t think we are in the same page.

cant tell non athletic students it isn’t safe to go to class while student athletes are on airplanes and in hotels

Reactions: dollarbill
Student athletes have been accommodated since the beginning of time. Optics don’t matter. Optics for athletes is always bad. Having 150 athletes on campus is very different that 30,000 students on campus.

Student athletes have been accommodated since the beginning of time. Optics don’t matter. Optics for athletes is always bad. Having 150 athletes on campus is very different that 30,000 students on campus.

you cant compare anything in the past to this.

Unreal that Rutgers basketball has on the schedule not 1 but TWO marquis games at Madison Square Garden, against Michigan State and #1 Baylor, and not to mention the NCAA regional also at MSG, and they will all likely not have any fans allowed, if not the first 2 cancelled altogether. SAD

Unfortunately I don't think we have any fans at any inside venue this season. Watching the NHL without any fans is different but just glad to see live sports being played. Will be interesting to see if the virus is spread at these bubble venues.

Unfortunately I don't think we have any fans at any inside venue this season. Watching the NHL without any fans is different but just glad to see live sports being played. Will be interesting to see if the virus is spread at these bubble venues.

let’s get past Election Day first before we concede there won’t be fans at games. IF the polls are right this time (a big “if), I think fans will be at the games.

So far so good in all these bubble venues from NBA to NHL and MLS. Sucks that we probably wont be physically able to see sports in person for awhile but seeing games is refreshing and some form of normalcy.

Reactions: red sail
let’s get past Election Day first before we concede there won’t be fans at games. IF the polls are right this time (a big “if), I think fans will be at the games.
You lost me on that .Why would that change if the polls are right this time. Sounds kind of strange ?

Reactions: MadRU
My guess is that they have 4 Games (2 conf, 2 non) before Jan. (No fans)..after January they do a rotation of fans at around 25% capacity.

I am thinking vaccine in in November and season in January.

Maybe a vaccine is approved by November (likely late October to help Trump) but it won’t be widely available right away to all.

And there’s no guarantee it’ll be more than 50-60% effective.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT