ADVERTISEMENT

If pikiell resigned after the season would you be happy

RU677381

Sophomore
Apr 21, 2010
no one can deny he has improved the status of Rutgers basketball. That being said the team has regressed, they no longer give
100% every game, they are stale on offense, the recruiting this year was not that of a top 25 team, and, most importantly there is no
plan forward.

• Angry
Reactions: RutgersMO
I don’t care who does it, just figure out the offense. Every other game we look like a team that have never played basketball before. Even the Indiana game, we played like crap the first 10 minutes

Reactions: IL Lusciato
Pike has taken us from cellar dwellar to respectable in the toughest P5 conference. For that, we should be thankful. However, the lack of a half-court offense and poor recruiting, relative to the top half of the league, is a not a formula for sustained success. For whatever reason, we're no longer the gritty teams of Pike's past. I look at Collins at Northwestern and think of Pike, with an NCAA appearance every 6 to 8 years. Guess the fans will have to determine if that's acceptable.

Nebraska’s offense yesterday was beautifully run. So it can be done. We have one play and when it breaks down 12 seconds into the clock we go to one on one ball because that one weave, double high screen is our only play. Pike can have great success here if he somehow fixes this but he probably needs a first rate offensive minded assistant to do that.

Reactions: koleszar
Wait wait I've got an even better one.

Go back in time and have your mother abort you

3db4e3e7968eec372814039501988533f13cad94664f0d16e8badb2251a97be0_1.jpg

real question .
What do you think Pikes Ceiling is as a B10 head coach?
He needs to improve his in game coaching and substitutions.Hes a solid program builder,but after that where does he top off at compared to other current B10 HCs?

Pike has taken us from cellar dwellar to respectable in the toughest P5 conference. For that, we should be thankful. However, the lack of a half-court offense and poor recruiting, relative to the top half of the league, is a not a formula for sustained success. For whatever reason, we're no longer the gritty teams of Pike's past. I look at Collins at Northwestern and think of Pike, with an NCAA appearance every 6 to 8 years. Guess the fans will have to determine if that's acceptable.
Cellar Dweller to now...imagine that. And unless you got a bag man and you are scoring 1 and done's out of the gate, it's a process to build up that recruiting rep. You don't just start landing multiple 4/5 stars every year

I’ve said this for years and nobody wants to believe me but Pike offers a high floor but low ceiling. For most thats okay tho. Leonard hamilton (one of the top 5 coaches in the game imo) just got an extension making only $2.25 mill a year!!! For the money were paying pike we can do sooooo much better. And again, i love him as a man, hes a great dude, just not a good coach

Reactions: BlockR
real question .
What do you think Pikes Ceiling is as a B10 head coach?
He needs to improve his in game coaching and substitutions.Hes a solid program builder,but after that where does he top off at compared to other current B10 HCs?

I think it's impossible to say this until we (hopefully) see what he does with a team that is in the upper tier of the Big Ten in terms of recruiting.

If he recruits teams like this we will get results like this. These results, last night aside, are not terrible. They are great compared to anything we've seen at Rutgers in a long while. But in the grand scheme, they are mediocre.

I think Pikiell gets as good a results out of the kinds of players he's had so far as anyone could reasonably be expected to get. Before last season, approximately nobody expected to make the tournament. Then we have a tournament quality season and everyone assumes the players are great now and it's Pike's fault that we are only decent.

If you told this board in October 2019 that we would be #39 Torvik / #32 Kenpom / #38 NET on March 2, 2021 virtually everyone would've been thrilled and now it's viewed as some colossal failure? It's weird.

He would be hired by another good program so quick. Only Rutgers fans are clueless enough, to not realize how good of a coach he is. He's not a perfect coach, but he's for sure a damn good one. Im enthusiastic about the future of this program, and feel it's just getting started

For years the RAC was lucky to get 5000 fans for a men’s game. Last year we sold out 8000 seats the last 5 games in a row.

You can tell on here which people are part of that 3000.
Maybe just maybe people expect at least EFFORT... something a paying fan base deserves.

Reactions: BlockR
He would be hired by another good program so quick. Only Rutgers fans are clueless enough, to not realize how good of a coach he is. He's not a perfect coach, but he's for sure a damn good one. Im enthusiastic about the future of this program, and feel it's just getting started
Two things

1) hes getting two more years minimum
2) hes not getting poached because we pay him an absurd amount of money, way more than hes worth
3) like it or not we are stuck with him

If Pike eventually fails here it will be recruiting and not coaching that does him in. I know kyk disagrees but you can win in college basketball with defense. The offense, while brutal to watch for long stretches, gets enough open looks that a more talented team could put up some points. If you have the #40 offense and a top 5 defense, that's a top 10 team.

Rough if we lose Myles and Harper... trying to think who else is a B1G loss in this juggernaut?

Pikes got to make the tournament this season, because IF Myles and Geo don't come back,next year could be a Rocky one for Pike ,and his future.

Two things

1) hes getting two more years minimum
2) hes not getting poached because we pay him an absurd amount of money, way more than hes worth
3) like it or not we are stuck with him

Pike is the second lowest paid coach in the Big Ten, and about to become the lowest after this year once Howard gets a HUGE (and well deserved) new contract.

Pike is NOT paid a ridiculous amount of money for what he has done, and still can do, which is finish .500 in the best conference in college basketball, beat a top 5 team at home and give the second best team in the country all they can handle on their home court. OH, and a little thing like taking us to the NCAA tournament for the first time in 30 years.

God, some of you really have to think before you post.... to save yourself from looking like a fool.

This. And the Pike bashers should keep in mind...RU is one bad hire...one roll of the dice...away from returning to the clown show of the past.

Pike is the second lowest paid coach in the Big Ten, and about to become the lowest after this year once Howard gets a HUGE (and well deserved) new contract.

Pike is NOT paid a ridiculous amount of money for what he has done, and still can do, which is finish .500 in the best conference in college basketball, beat a top 5 team at home and give the second best team in the country all they can handle on their home court. OH, and a little thing like taking us to the NCAA tournament for the first time in 30 years.

God, some of you really have to think before you post.... to save yourself from looking like a fool.
You may wanna peep the contracts lol. Pikes median salary over the remainder of his contract is like $3.1 million. Top 3-4 in B1G. Close to top 15 nationally

Reactions: fairhavenfool
Cellar Dweller to now...imagine that. And unless you got a bag man and you are scoring 1 and done's out of the gate, it's a process to build up that recruiting rep. You don't just start landing multiple 4/5 stars every year

I like Pike. He built the program on grit and determination; a defense first identity, which this team has since perplexingly lost. After this season though, we will very likely lose Baker and JY and quite possibly Myles and Mathis as well. Pike needed to capitalize on the recent success with a monster haul - he didn't. Jaden Jones and Cliff not withstanding, the last 5 Rutgers basketball recruits have a total of 1 (One!) other P5 offer. Think about that. You and I both know that level of recruiting is not going to cut it in the B1G. Nebraska's Hoiberg is landing those coveted 5 star and 4 star recruits. Minnesota and Indiana are going to upgrade after terminating Little Ricky and Miller. Look no further than our former Big East brethren.

The point is - somewhere in your red herring argument - between 1 and done 5 star recruits and diamonds in the rough, is where Pike needs to feast - high 3 star multiple P5 offer recruits! And, with the backing of the B1G and APC, we should expect nothing less. I hope Pike succeeds. He's a great ambassador for the program!

This. And the Pike bashers should keep in mind...RU is one bad hire...one roll of the dice...away from returning to the clown show of the past.
What we have seen more times than not since January is several clown showings.

I'll be the first to say, im somewhat irritated- with underwhelming recruiting results. But at the same time - his players turn out better than their offer sheets. Pike already explained- he spots players who can ball - but just got overlooked bc of not being a finished product. But overall he has to recruit better talent and less projects. Can't have 5 projects on the roster at the same time 😂

no one can deny he has improved the status of Rutgers basketball. That being said the team has regressed, they no longer give
100% every game, they are stale on offense, the recruiting this year was not that of a top 25 team, and, most importantly there is no
plan forward.
Freddie, Hobbs ain't hiring you back and Jordan will remain respected as the player, not the Head Coach.

I love Pike but I trhink the team would be enhanced going forward by putting @kyk1827 into the role of a special assistant. As far back as I can remember, he was calling out the staff for its lack of flow on offense, and Kyk would probably be first in line if it meant replacing Steve Hayn (see, i do read all your post Kyk)

I think Pike is a good coach. IF he went somewhere else, I would need to see who we got in his place. Could be great. Could be not great.

Reactions: cyrock3
ADVERTISEMENT