ADVERTISEMENT

If pikiell resigned after the season would you be happy

Pike has changed your expectation for this program. Schiano did the same thing. And look what it took for us to beg to get Greg back. Sheesh.

Reactions: shields and RURahh
Pike has changed your expectation for this program. Schiano did the same thing. And look what it took for us to beg to get Greg back. Sheesh.

Hopefully if Pike leaves we won't hire some rando from his staff as head coach to keep a recruiting class together, but yeah.

Look, if kyk is right and this is Pike's ceiling he will eventually have to go but that time is not now.

You may wanna peep the contracts lol. Pikes median salary over the remainder of his contract is like $3.1 million. Top 3-4 in B1G. Close to top 15 nationally
Sorry, but you are so far off, its laughable to say he is in the top 3-4.

Where are you even getting that from? I actually have a source.

What source do you have, putting him above 3 million and in the top 3-4?

Reactions: Greg2020
Sorry, but you are so far off, its laughable to say he is in the top 3-4.

Where are you even getting that from? I actually have a source.

What source do you have, putting him above 3 million and in the top 3-4?
Lol. Look at pikes contract and then compare with others. Youre really far offer. Pike has 5 years left on his contract worth $16.1 million aka an average of $3.22 million a year. Now look around the country and you can count probably on your hands and MAYBE toes how many coaches in america wouldnt come here for that type of money. At $3.22/mill/yr over the next 5 years steven pikiell is one of the highest paid coaches in the conference. Not my opinion, but rather a cold hard fact

source:

I love Pike but I trhink the team would be enhanced going forward by putting @kyk1827 into the role of a special assistant. As far back as I can remember, he was calling out the staff for its lack of flow on offense, and Kyk would probably be first in line if it meant replacing Steve Hayn (see, i do read all your post Kyk)

Oh please Lord. Make it stop.

Some of you guys certainly are not fans and don't know what you guys are asking for. Pikiell has changed our program very quickly. We are very respected in college basketball now and are no longer being the team joked about like we have been so for so long. You must want us to become the punching bag of the BIG TEN again. We are so lucky to have Coach at RU. Give it a rest already and go follow some other team. We don't need fans like some of you. Every team has struggles from time to time. Illinois is beating Michigan right now at Michigan 57-36 with 11 minutes left and Ayo is not even playing for Illinois again. It happens.

no one can deny he has improved the status of Rutgers basketball. That being said the team has regressed, they no longer give
100% every game, they are stale on offense, the recruiting this year was not that of a top 25 team, and, most importantly there is no
plan forward.

Don't know why you posted this trash.😡

Pike landed Cliff who has a world of potential...and is already showing some of it.

Some of us have lived through Littlepage, Bannon's naked free throws, Freedie's follies, Rice's non PC moments, Eddie's nonchalant.

I like Pike...and we will go to the dance with him- he's brought us this far!

MO

no one can deny he has improved the status of Rutgers basketball. That being said the team has regressed, they no longer give
100% every game, they are stale on offense, the recruiting this year was not that of a top 25 team, and, most importantly there is no
plan forward.
Insanity

real question .
What do you think Pikes Ceiling is as a B10 head coach?
He needs to improve his in game coaching and substitutions.Hes a solid program builder,but after that where does he top off at compared to other current B10 HCs?
Probably this is close to it . Maybe a little better in the best of years - which would be a 4 or 5 seed ncaa team that makes the big ten semifinal. He has done a great job here but, the ceiling is the ceiling . It took him what 7 years to get stony brook to win that league and I think 3 of this years he had the best player in the league by far in Warney . He’s never going to have the best player in the BIG .

Lol. Look at pikes contract and then compare with others. Youre really far offer. Pike has 5 years left on his contract worth $16.1 million aka an average of $3.22 million a year. Now look around the country and you can count probably on your hands and MAYBE toes how many coaches in america wouldnt come here for that type of money. At $3.22/mill/yr over the next 5 years steven pikiell is one of the highest paid coaches in the conference. Not my opinion, but rather a cold hard fact

source:

You're kidding, right? You either suck at math, or you conveniently left off the first two years of Pike's 7 year contract extension to make it look like he earns more than he does.

Nice try, but that is some real Bullsh**.

The link you provided even shows Pike signed a 7-year, 20 million dollar contract. That averages out to $2.85 million a year......which puts him at or near the bottom.

Pike's contract extension:

2019-20: $1.7 million
2020-21: $2.2 million
2021-22: $2.6 million
2022-23: $3 million
2023-24: $3.25 million
2024-25: $3.5 million
2025-26: $3.75 million

That's $2,857,142 per year over 7 years....not the $3.22 million a year you wrongly cited.

So you are off by 363K PER YEAR. Yikes. Math much?

And I did take a look at Big Ten annual salaries.

Just as I said, Pike is third from the lowest.

Annual salaries - highest to lowest

Tom Izzo, Michigan State $4.1 million
Archie Miller, Indiana $3.3 million
Matt Painter, Purdue $3.025 million
Mark Turgeon, Maryland $3.011 million
Chris Holtmann, Ohio State $3 million
Brad Underwood, Illinois $2.95 million
Fran McCaffrey, Iowa $2.72 million
Chris Collins, Northwestern $2.6 million
Fred Hoiberg, Nebraska $2.5 million
Richard Pitino, Minnesota $2.46 million
Greg Gard, Wisconsin $2.45 million
Steve Pikiell, Rutgers $2.2 million
Juwan Howard, Michigan $2.1 million
Pat Chambers, Penn State (not public - under $1.5 million)

That's 12th lowest this year in the Big Ten, only ahead of PSU's Chambers (who resigned, so that figure will be going way up when they hire a new coach, and Michigan's Howard, who earned 2.1 million this year as part of his 5 year, 11 million deal. That will be ripped up and DOUBLED as soon as this season is over.)

I'll take your apology now.

Last edited:
Reactions: MADHAT1 and RUDead
plan forward.
Troll post. Probably one of 100 aliases Novafan NCAABallz has.

You're kidding, right? You either suck at math, or you conveniently left off the first two years of Pike's 7 year contract extension to make it look like he earns more than he does.

The link you provided even shows Pike signed a 7-year, 20 million dollar contract. That averages out to $2.85 million a year......which puts him at or near the bottom.

That's $2,857,142 per year over 7 years....not the $3.22 million a year you wrongly cited.

That's 12th lowest this year in the Big Ten, only ahead of PSU's Chambers (who resigned, so that figure will be going way up when they hire a new coach, and Michigan's Howard, who earned 2.1 million this year as part of his 5 year, 11 million deal. That will be ripped up and DOUBLED as soon as this season is over.)

LOL. Again, youre basing it off 7 years and saying pike makes 2.85/yr. Im saying based on his new contracts average annual salary he is one of the highest paid coaches in the conference, 3rd actually. He is in essence has a 5 year $16.1 mill contract remaining. How many coaches in the conference can say that? Ill wait.

Idk how youre trying to steer this but youre wrong hunny

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: LETSGORU91

Prior contract years have zero impact on future contracts.

Pike has 5 years at 3.2m left based on your numbers.
Any team looking to “poach” him needs to start at 3.2m/year.

Not sure how his remaining contract compares to other remaining contracts but any new contract starts at 3.2m and not 2.8m.

LOL. Again, youre basing it off 7 years and saying pike makes 2.85/yr. Im saying based on his new contracts average annual salary he is one of the highest paid coaches in the conference, 3rd actually. He is in essence has a 5 year $16.1 mill contract remaining. How many coaches in the conference can say that? Ill wait.

Idk how youre trying to steer this but youre wrong hunny
You seem a little slow, so I’ll help you out! In 2020, RU tore up Pike’s old contract and replaced it with a new 7 year deal starting in 2020 with the final year being 2025-26. We are currently in year 2 of that new deal.

With me so far?

If you average out the seven year, $20 million contract which began last year, that average works out to be $2.85 million a year running through 2025.

You are the one disregarding the first two years of his new contract, which moronically includes this season.... to prove your point that he makes over 3.2 million a year! The average of a contract starts from the first year and runs through the final year you can’t just selectively begin in the middle of that contract to say that’s what he is averaging.
I am 100% right here honey. You’re 100% wrong!

If I wanted to play cute with the figures I can base my argument off just the first five years of the contract, rather than the final 5 years like you did....and Pike would come in making even less, but that’s dishonest.

You need to be cute with the numbers in order to be right when I can just use the actual numbers to be right.

Last edited:
Reactions: MADHAT1
Prior contract years have zero impact on future contracts.

Pike has 5 years at 3.2m left based on your numbers.
Any team looking to “poach” him needs to start at 3.2m/year.

Not sure how his remaining contract compares to other remaining contracts but any new contract starts at 3.2m and not 2.8m.
That 3.2 million over 5 years is what he may have left on his 7 year deal, but a contract’s average is based on the entire contract, not just the remaining years.

It would be like me cutting off the last two wealthiest years of the deal and saying he is only averaging $2.5 million a year! It’s not accurate!

He doesn’t even hit 3.2mill/year for another 2 years!

I don’t care who does it, just figure out the offense. Every other game we look like a team that have never played basketball before. Even the Indiana game, we played like crap the first 10 minutes
Exactly, how can we go from 30 minutes of lights out basketball against Indiana, and then lay a massive egg against Nebraska? Something isn’t adding up but Pike still has my confidence to keep this March towards relevance alive. Anyone here up for another Eddie Jordan experiment?

Reactions: biazza38
You seem a little slow, so I’ll help you out! In 2020, RU tore up Pike’s old contract and replaced it with a new 7 year deal starting in 2020 with the final year being 2025-26. We are currently in year 2 of that new deal.

With me so far?

If you average out the seven year, $20 million contract which began last year, that average works out to be $2.85 million a year running through 2025.

You are the one disregarding the first two years of his new contract, which moronically includes this season.... to prove your point that he makes over 3.2 million a year! The average of a contract starts from the first year and runs through the final year you can’t just selectively begin in the middle of that contract to say that’s what he is averaging.
I am 100% right here honey. You’re 100% wrong!

If I wanted to play cute with the figures I can base my argument off just the first five years of the contract, rather than the final 5 years like you did....and Pike would come in making even less, but that’s dishonest.

You need to be cute with the numbers in order to be right when I can just use the actual numbers to be right.
Wait but didnt u say hes making $2.1/yr? Because your $2.85 figure makes him what 5th or 6th highest? Remember 5 years is an average contract length. He has 5 years left at $16.1, that contract could land alotttttt of quality coaches

Wait but didnt u say hes making $2.1/yr? Because your $2.85 figure makes him what 5th or 6th highest? Remember 5 years is an average contract length. He has 5 years left at $16.1, that contract could land alotttttt of quality coaches
I did say that. He is making $2.1 this year in year 2. The $2.85 figure is the AVERAGE over 7 years!

It is really not that hard, man!
You said he was making 3.2 million right? So, you’re off by more than a million this year.

This 5 year contract thing is all in your imagination. He signed a 7 year deal, not 5.

PIke pulls RU out of the tar pit, make us respectable and is going to be replaced after a bad half a season? WTF.

I don't know what happened to this team this year, but Pike isn't going anywhere and Cliff, Mag and Jaden are the most talented RU players recruited in 30 years. If we see a mass exodus at the end of the year, next year could be rough but the future is very bright for this team.

This is just not a talented offensive team, so they need to play def, rebound and play together on offense to win. They aren't doing that right now and that is why we are losing, There is no magic lineup that will fix it. Every player on the roster has limitations on offense.

Reactions: RUDutch
I'm not even sure what you both are arguing over but this is why college fans shouldn't talk contracts and value - a pro sport thing.

When discussing value - nobody cares about prior years.

All that matters when evaluating a players (or coaches) value:
1. Current year salary
2. Future years salary (AAV - average annual value)
3. Where the AAV ranks against peers.

It appears Pike is about appropriately paid to very slightly overpaid in future years.
However, contracts are always increasing so within a year or two he'll probably be underpaid again.

Thoughts on replacing Pike or not have more to do with the AD than Pike.

Even if I wanted Pike removed - I'm not fully confident in the AD to replace him with a better option.
We aren't bottom if the Big Ten anymore where any new coach would be an improvement (see HC Ash era).

I'm not even sure what you both are arguing over but this is why college fans shouldn't talk contracts and value - a pro sport thing.

When discussing value - nobody cares about prior years.

All that matters when evaluating a players (or coaches) value:
1. Current year salary
2. Future years salary (AAV - average annual value)
3. Where the AAV ranks against peers.

It appears Pike is about appropriately paid to very slightly overpaid in future years.
However, contracts are always increasing so within a year or two he'll probably be underpaid again.
We're not talking about prior years of a prior contract, we're talking about the current contract.

Pike is only in year two of a 7-year deal he signed last year, so it is absolutely necessary to talk about last year's salary as well as this year's. KYK is talking about Pike making 3.2 million a year. That is nonsense. He doesn't even touch three million until the 4th year of his deal (2022-23) and doesn't surpass $3 million until the 5th year of a 7-year deal.

the ENTIRE contract has to be considered when talking about how much a coach is being paid, not just the future portion. How they agree to structure that contract may vary, but the sum of the deal and length is how you determine the average annual amount.

Last year, Pike made only $1.7 million. That was the fourth lowest in the league, and yet we were an NCAA team, no doubt, and would have been dancing if there was a tournament.

This year, he is making a little more, at $2.2 million, which is the third lowest salary this year in the Big Ten, yet we are on the cusp of dancing (and would have been, admittedly if we won on Monday.)

We can still get to the Big Dance, and likely will, even if we don't win against Minnesota, and that is with the third lowest paid coach in the big Ten this year.

What he does with the team in the future years when he is scheduled to make at least $3 million a year remains to be seen, the games have to be played first to judge whether or not he is being underpaid, paid accordingly, or overpaid..... but so far, if anything, he has been UNDERPAID last year and this year.

Realistically, if he resigned, we'd be in good position to land someone better. Wouldn't have a buyout and team is in a good place. Next coach could possibly get us over the hump. Spare me that making the tourney is over the hump. That's a speed bump. We should have at least 3 more wins this season, and be in position to make a better run.

It isn't happening anyway so whatever. But some of you are so content with mediocrity it's ridiculous. Again, no wonder the school is so mediocre with athletics. We almost hired Lance Leipold to coach football for christs sake. Until RU fans and donors, and the damn governor finally stood up for something.

I'm not saying Pike hasn't done well here, but the bar is so damn low. Fact is, this team is off in some regard, and should be playing better at this stage of development. Not bringing transfers in, not coaching any offense, not even having the guys up to play defense most of the year is a red flag.

I'm not saying fire him or he sucks or whatever, but the question was a hypothetical. At what point do we grow tired of just making the tourney and want to take the next step?

Time will tell, and I hope that with fresh recruits buying in, Pike will continue to expand his ceiling and beat his own bar, but that remains to be seen.

Realistically, if he resigned, we'd be in good positions to land someone better. Wouldn't have a buyout and team is a good place. Next coach could possibly get us over the hump.

It isn't happening anyway so whatever. But some of you are so content with mediocrity it's ridiculous. Again, no wonder the school is so mediocre with athletics. We almost hired Lance Leipold to coach football for christs sake. Until RU fans and donors, and the damn governor finally stood up for something.

I'm not saying Pike hasn't done well here, but the bar is so damn low. Fact is, this team is off in some regard, and should be playing better at this stage of development. Not bringing transfers in, not coaching any offense, not even having the guys up to play defense most of the year is a red flag.

I'm not saying fire him or he sucks or whatever, but the question was a hypothetical. At what point do we grow tired of just making the tourney and want to take the next step?
If we went after anyone but knight it's a poor decision

If we went after anyone but knight it's a poor decision

The hypo was if he resigned. Firing him isn't happening nor should it. He deserves another year or two to show where he's taking the program beyond this class, and his buyout would be too much to go after a solid coach. But I would cry if he resigned for the reasons above. Which he won't.

plan forward.
**** off, respectfully

With comments like the ones we are seeing you can really start to tell who actually played the game, who understands what it is like to build a program. i think the most astounding part of all this is people really think the RU job is an easy job. I think a lot of you feel that getting to the NCAA tournament is a minor achievement for a program like RU. You guys think building a program is a straight line up. People ask who we have recruited. Are you guys serious? We are a crappy program trying to grow. Getting Cliff was lucky, getting Jaden was lucky. To be honest, without the RAC last year we probably dont get them. That is the effect of having the RAC at capacity. With an empty RAC you see all the flaws.

Do you realize pikiell got Jaden over Arizona, LSU, Alabama, USC? Are you serious? These schools also pay big money. Do you realize pikiell got Cliff over Kentucky, Auburn, Louisville, Arizona, Arizona State, Alabama, Memphis?? These two guys without a single NCAA tournament appearance in 30 years!!!!

Are you guys kidding me? Should pikiell resign? All of this because we are 6-4 over the last 10 and one bad loss.

Pikiell has the same amount of NCAA tournament appearances in the Big 10 as Brad underwood.

Would you guys shut your mouths and open your eyes a little bit and see the big picture?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT