ADVERTISEMENT

If Rutgers goes undefeated in the non-conference, will the fans turn out for Iowa?

Do you mean up in Chestnut Hill only? Because overall it's been 5 wins since 86.

Rutgers won 4 straight against BC (86-89) of which 86 and 88 victories were up in CH, and then the 95 tie was up there too. Home wins in 87, 89, 91.
Wow! What was I looking at? Thanks for the correction. I made the edit.

Couch, TV, shut it off when it's obvious we are going to lose.
But what fun is that, sitting home alone? Maybe it is more fun for some.
We were not going to go to the scrimmage Saturday, opting to do our usual weekend loafing. But we had a nice time mixing with other RU fans, talking about the upcoming season, etc. When we are at the game and losing badly, I usually commiserate with someone sitting next to me.

Sad thing is, after Rutgers got the invite to The Big10, the selling point from the ticket office was keep your season tickets or move to better locations now. The premise was the demand for tickets would go through the roof and it did seem like that would indeed happen, common sense would think that. Then of course Ash happened and the rest is history.🤬
Chris was obviously brutal but the wheels were already falling off the bus under Kyle. 2014 turned out to be fool's gold... the team was bad in 2013 (I know they made a bowl but when you get destroyed multiple times at home by mediocre teams it's not a good season) and brutal in 2015.

Chris was obviously brutal but the wheels were already falling off the bus under Kyle. 2014 turned out to be fool's gold... the team was bad in 2013 (I know they made a bowl but when you get destroyed multiple times at home by mediocre teams it's not a good season) and brutal in 2015.
The difference in 2014 was Ralph Friedgen getting a decent Gary Nova to have the best year of his career after regressing in 2013. Maybe one could look at Friedgen as the last wheel that was keeping the bus from going over the Cliff, because that is what happened in 2015.

Reactions: Local Shill
But what fun is that, sitting home alone? Maybe it is more fun for some.
We were not going to go to the scrimmage Saturday, opting to do our usual weekend loafing. But we had a nice time mixing with other RU fans, talking about the upcoming season, etc. When we are at the game and losing badly, I usually commiserate with someone sitting next to me.

Compared to a weekend including 10 hours on Amtrack?

The difference in 2014 was Ralph Friedgen getting a decent Gary Nova to have the best year of his career after regressing in 2013. Maybe one could look at Friedgen as the last wheel that was keeping the bus from going over the Cliff, because that is what happened in 2015.
Fair point about Ralph. Chris sucked. Kyle sucked somewhat less. Let's leave it at that.

Reactions: Knight Shift
This region is big on winners.
This. One of the key things Schiano proved first time out is with enough win folks will show if it is a meaningful game.

Last edited:
the team was bad in 2013 (I know they made a bowl but when you get destroyed multiple times at home by mediocre teams it's not a good season) and brutal in 2015.

It wasn't that the team was bad in 2013, but the assistant coaching staff was really piss poor. I've heard they did not work well together: I've never gotten the full story, but supposedly there was a huge blowup in the locker room at halftime of the Houston game. Don't forget that like Schiano before him, Flood had diddly squat for an assistant coach salary pool thanks to the administration. That's one of the reasons why there was always a revolving door with the coaching staff.

As for 2015, Flood did stupid stuff trying to keep Barnwell in school (I don't know why he stuck his neck out for that knucklehead), but the team was also hamstrung by that mass arrest stemming from the fight the prior April and the drug dealer assault ring. I think it was no coincidence that those 2 incidents were lumped together: there was only one member of the team involved in that ring, but at least 4-6 members of the team were in the vicinity when Stephenson broke that guy's jaw over a parking space. They used some NJ statute about the number of people involved in order to arrest them. I think we lost most of our starting DB's to that. Lastly, we also lost Carroo for 3 games because of the whole lie with his ex-girlfriend after the game.

It wasn't that the team was bad in 2013, but the assistant coaching staff was really piss poor. I've heard they did not work well together: I've never gotten the full story, but supposedly there was a huge blowup in the locker room at halftime of the Houston game. Don't forget that like Schiano before him, Flood had diddly squat for an assistant coach salary pool thanks to the administration. That's one of the reasons why there was always a revolving door with the coaching staff.

As for 2015, Flood did stupid stuff trying to keep Barnwell in school (I don't know why he stuck his neck out for that knucklehead), but the team was also hamstrung by that mass arrest stemming from the fight the prior April and the drug dealer assault ring. I think it was no coincidence that those 2 incidents were lumped together: there was only one member of the team involved in that ring, but at least 4-6 members of the team were in the vicinity when Stephenson broke that guy's jaw over a parking space. They used some NJ statute about the number of people involved in order to arrest them. I think we lost most of our starting DB's to that. Lastly, we also lost Carroo for 3 games because of the whole lie with his ex-girlfriend after the game.
Not going to say anything more than what Flood did for Barnwell is probably not more than what any coach would do at any other school without anyone batting an eyelash. But Flood had to go to great lengths to conceal what he was doing for fear of retribution. But as we like to say in our office, honesty is the best policy, and be transparent in your actions. Flood was not equipped to be a HC, had a decent coordinator for one year, and a circus in the athletic department. Not many coaches would succeed in such an environment.

Not sure how to start this but I see Rutgers is improving under Greg Schiano but with the brutal schedule, they may not win many games.

If Rutgers is ever going to build a program they need to show they can get a signature win against a highly respectable team at home.

That's going to require the fans to come out and make an impact on the game and the teams involved.

I have felt up to this point Rutgers fans focus way too much on Michigan and Penn State, two programs that are at the top of the league most years. And they'll only be happy when they can compete with them every year. But the team needs to show you can at least be highly competitive against a team like Iowa (a great defense, not great offense) first and then start building.

So I'm asking, will the fans turn out for a game like this or will Rutgers continue to feel like neutral site games?
This I know; I will be at all the home games except Nebraska.

Sad thing is, after Rutgers got the invite to The Big10, the selling point from the ticket office was keep your season tickets or move to better locations now. The premise was the demand for tickets would go through the roof and it did seem like that would indeed happen, common sense would think that. Then of course Ash happened and the rest is history.🤬
The search for ever-icreasing revenues by ever-changing executives means they don't think much about the long term and existing fan-base that helped get them where they are. It is always, where is the money we can grab now.

That applies to a lot of corporate situation.. like Disney. It is the way of the world and I find it both short-sighted and sad.

Is Rutgers improving on the field under Greg Schiano? Compared to Ash, I believe most current FCS/FBS coaches put in charge of the program would show some improvement over the last couple of years. Schiano 2.0 has been a bit of a disappointment outside one decent recruiting class led by a man who now coaches at Georgia. Greg needs to put a quality product on the field first and then the fans will come around, in big time sports it doesn't work the other way around.
Wrong

The product on the field will be much better. We have playmakers, we have great special team players ( Korsak alone gives you an 80 yard per game advantage that doesn’t show in offensive stats). We will be 3-0 in Out of Conference and pull off some surprises. Watch out Nebraska. I am looking forward to being at home games.

Not sure how to start this but I see Rutgers is improving under Greg Schiano but with the brutal schedule, they may not win many games.

If Rutgers is ever going to build a program they need to show they can get a signature win against a highly respectable team at home.

That's going to require the fans to come out and make an impact on the game and the teams involved.

I have felt up to this point Rutgers fans focus way too much on Michigan and Penn State, two programs that are at the top of the league most years. And they'll only be happy when they can compete with them every year. But the team needs to show you can at least be highly competitive against a team like Iowa (a great defense, not great offense) first and then start building.

So I'm asking, will the fans turn out for a game like this or will Rutgers continue to feel like neutral site games?
I will say this, and you can call me out on it, if we happen to be 3-0 going in the Iowa game, I would be shocked if there is not legitimately 45,000 or more in the stands for that game. We generally have play Iowa well at home, and there would be some excitement coming into the game. Just my opinion....

Not going to say anything more than what Flood did for Barnwell is probably not more than what any coach would do at any other school without anyone batting an eyelash. But Flood had to go to great lengths to conceal what he was doing for fear of retribution. But as we like to say in our office, honesty is the best policy, and be transparent in your actions. Flood was not equipped to be a HC, had a decent coordinator for one year, and a circus in the athletic department. Not many coaches would succeed in such an environment.
I thought Flood game prep and day coaching was OK/Solid*.. nothing too exciting, but stayed in games. His recruiting and.closing on talent was a concern.

* Well his writing on his notepad drove me bat shat crazy on game days

Luckily the Mets and Yanks rarely play on Saturday afternoons
Saturday the 24th:

Yankees host Boston at 1
Mets at Oakland at 4(ish)

Iowa at Rutgers... prime time! Would be great but not likely.

I agree that the Iowa attendance only gets a bump if we are 3-0. Wagner and Temple won't mean much regardless of margin.

Incidentally, and OT: what do people mean when typing OCC? I always use OOC for Out Of Conference.

We compete easily with Michigan, as evidence by close games in the last few years, and the win when we joined the BiG. You must have meant Ohio State. They are the conference juggernaut, not just for us, but for everyone.

Based on Iowa’s first game, they are very beatable. They couldn’t run against SDSU. We will give them the same rushing treatment we gave B C. Good chance we are 4-0 going into OSU game. We need to stay serious injury free the next 2 games.

Neither is Wagner. But the chance of beating them is extremely, extremely high if we show up ready to play.

Wagner is def a W imo.

RU should beat Temole but they have better players than Wagner.

I’m hoping that the RU alums and fans get 45k actual attendance this Saturday and then over 15k make the quick drive to Philly the following week

ADVERTISEMENT