ADVERTISEMENT

If Sears goes under...

G- RUnit

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Sep 13, 2004
Would the property on Route One be too expensive to connect to Cook/Douglas and build a new RAC? Makes more sense than downtown New Brunswick.

Would the property on Route One be too expensive to connect to Cook/Douglas and build a new RAC? Makes more sense than downtown New Brunswick.
It makes no sense with the practice facility being constructed adjacent to the RAC .Building a new RAC probably is low on the priority list right now.Maybe a upgrade to the existing RAC in 2023.

No.

The stadium is fine where it is. When it starts to get filled to max capacity night in and night out, maybe they will start to think about making it bigger.

Right now, no reason.

Reactions: ScarletDave
How about a building where the fans are real close to the action AND the acoustics amplify crowd noise making the building extremely loud even when only 4000 people are there. And a building that is close to campus and any non game basketball facilities may be located.

Reactions: xkiesterx
If Rutgers can find the funds they should buy the Sears site. While it may not be a for a basketball facility it can be used for a host of other things (ie. classrooms, student apartments, student parking, etc...)

Didn't Rutgers own that land at one time ? Whether for a new basketball arena or something else--dorms,Med School buildings, HOCKEY ARENA,Law School,expansion of Cook and/or Douglass, HOCKEY ARENA,Mason Gross facilities,HOCKEY ARENA,etc.

Boy I can't wait for the RAC to be packed again so the new fans realize how loud and how much a home field advantage our arena is

I love the RAC and hope we never lose it. Do worry about the now yearly shrinking of the RAC.

I also worry if we ever did move to downtown New Brunswick of the ensuing logistical Knightmare. Sears property just seems a natural.

lol there was a clown who wanted to build a new football stadium across the highway from there. This idea is only .000001% more ridiculous than that one. Sorry Green!

Reactions: gigantor1024
If Rutgers can find the funds they should buy the Sears site. While it may not be a for a basketball facility it can be used for a host of other things (ie. classrooms, student apartments, student parking, etc...)

Yes, OTHER things. Like a "welcome center" for that side of campus!

Give up the hockey idea already. Enough is enough. We are in debt enough. I do like the idea of RU obtaining the Sears property. It is right by Cook & Douglass. If we ever need a new basketball location I would prefer this over downtown New Brunswick which would be an absolute disaster. It would take forever to get out of a parking garage and out of downtown New Brunswick. I prefer the area where the RAC is now but the area by Sears would be much easier to get out of. than any downtown location.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
There was a time, after World War I, when that land was considered for consolidating Rutgers College, the New Jersey College for Women, and the Ag School on one campus, basically abandoning College Avenue as the other two were already over there.

Then the state put Route 1 through it.

If Rutgers were to regain that land, not doing anything at the moment probably would be for the best. There are too many things to be done with buildings we already have.

And I would not give up on hockey, if you're thinking long term. The growing popularity in New Jersey high schools, the fact both men and women can play it and the fact the Big Ten sponsors it (not to mention the VERY quick ascent of Penn State from crazy notion to tournament team) all point to fielding teams. But they point to fielding teams AFTER we've had a full share for a few years. So I would propose "forgetting" about it for about a decade or so, and then being strongly in favor of it. And yes, a site right on Route 1 would, to some degree, balance the fact it's nowhere near any other athletic facility.

Rutgers should buy it but not for an arena.

I think if an arena ever were to happen it should be in downtown NB, where the Bravo and Church are now.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
Boy I can't wait for the RAC to be packed again so the new fans realize how loud and how much a home field advantage our arena is

jxbews.jpg

Yes, OTHER things. Like a "welcome center" for that side of campus!

At the least they can they can open a B10 / Rutgers store so those driving on Rt 1 can easily stop off for Rutgers / B10 fan gear. The location is great for advertising Rutgers. A welcome center / conference center is also great since it is very accessible to Rt 1 and Rt 18. There is a conference center on Cook already that has soem lodging but this can be a way to upgrade it for the 2020's.

We have a small 2nd generation Sear's in West Milford that would be perfect for Rutgers North gear.
Has a parking lot, but would require a 75 mile rail connect from NB so no BB. The price tag would be cheap.

There was a time, after World War I, when that land was considered for consolidating Rutgers College, the New Jersey College for Women, and the Ag School on one campus, basically abandoning College Avenue as the other two were already over there.

If Rutgers were to regain that land, not doing anything at the moment probably would be for the best. There are too many things to be done with buildings we already have.

And I would not give up on hockey, if you're thinking long term. The growing popularity in New Jersey high schools, the fact both men and women can play it and the fact the Big Ten sponsors it (not to mention the VERY quick ascent of Penn State from crazy notion to tournament team) all point to fielding teams. But they point to fielding teams AFTER we've had a full share for a few years. So I would propose "forgetting" about it for about a decade or so, and then being strongly in favor of it. And yes, a site right on Route 1 would, to some degree, balance the fact it's nowhere near any other athletic facility.
RU has a club hockey team that plays against schools like Liberty U in Virginia. That is first step in getting to D1 hockey level

The next property that Rutgers and/or the state of NJ buys for college/university purposes will be the beautiful one-time Bell Labs campus in Murray Hill, NJ, seconds from Route 78. The new owner Nokia is downsizing the existing facility's workforce and the handwriting is on the wall that the work there will be moved. The existing campus and building(s) are perfect in a lot of ways for college/university purposes.

There is so much wrong with this thought process. We haven't adequately funded our programs for centuries & have had little success, yet you want to continue that once we actually have money? No. Invest in winning with our current programs. We should never have NCAA D1 hockey unless we get the same $102M donation that PSU got.
The next property that Rutgers and/or the state of NJ buys for college/university purposes will be the beautiful one-time Bell Labs campus in Murray Hill, NJ, seconds from Route 78. The new owner Nokia is downsizing the existing facility's workforce and the handwriting is on the wall that the work there will be moved. The existing campus and building(s) are perfect in a lot of ways for college/university purposes.
Why would Rutgers want that property when it is nowhere near any campus? It make no sense.

Reactions: PaKnight
There is so much wrong with this thought process. We haven't adequately funded our programs for centuries & have had little success, yet you want to continue that once we actually have money? No. Invest in winning with our current programs.
We should cut more before we add anything.

The only thing I would consider adding would be Men's Swimming and Diving since we already have the facility, it's a B1G sport and "The State of Rutgers" produces swimmers.

Should have a about 5/6 sports per season and that's about it. And I'm okay with shortening the season for them them too.

We should cut more before we add anything.

The only thing I would consider adding would be Men's Swimming and Diving since we already have the facility, it's a B1G sport and "The State of Rutgers" produces swimmers.

Should have a about 5/6 sports per season and that's about it. And I'm okay with shortening the season for them them too.
What sports would you cut?

Problem is you probably have to add a women's team as well to meet title 9 criteria. The B1G would have to up the ante from that $2 mil. figure they currently distribute to hockey schools and up it by a lot. It's an expensive sport to start up. That or find another Pegula to donate $88 mil. to build you a rink and endow scholarships for the foreseeable future.

I know many don't want to hear it, however, we simply fund too many sports as is for our budget. The last purge should have been much larger. A lot of schools with much larger budgets sponsor less programs than we do.

Reactions: Leonard23
What sports would you cut?
In another thread on a similar topic I came up with something like this...

I say keep volleyball (to offset Wrestling) but can W Tennis, M/W Golf, Field Hockey and Rowing.

This would leave us:

Fall
Football (which IMO should be left out of the Title IX equation)
M/W Soccer
M/W Cross Country

Winter
M/W Basketball
Wrestling
W Volleyball
Gymnastics

Spring
Baseball
Softball
M/W Lacrosse
M/W Track and Field

That's enough if you ask me.

Not sure what season Swimming and Diving happens but if we were ever going to add/restore something I would bring back the Men's side since it is a B1G sport, there a a lot of good male swimmers in the surrounding area and we already have a pretty darn good facility for it now.

And yes, I know this can never happen because of Title IX stuff but those at the top would be on the chopping block for me.

In another thread on a similar topic I came up with something like this...

I say keep volleyball (to offset Wrestling) but can W Tennis, M/W Golf, Field Hockey and Rowing.

This would leave us:

Fall
Football (which IMO should be left out of the Title IX equation)
M/W Soccer
M/W Cross Country

Winter
M/W Basketball
Wrestling
W Volleyball
Gymnastics

Spring
Baseball
Softball
M/W Lacrosse
M/W Track and Field

That's enough if you ask me.

Not sure what season Swimming and Diving happens but if we were ever going to add/restore something I would bring back the Men's side since it is a B1G sport, there a a lot of good male swimmers in the surrounding area and we already have a pretty darn good facility for it now.

And yes, I know this can never happen because of Title IX stuff but those at the top would be on the chopping block for me.

Not sure this will work:
"I say keep volleyball (to offset Wrestling) but can W Tennis, M/W Golf, Field Hockey and Rowing."

- The B10 may require a certain amount of sports
- While volleyball may offset wrestling and the 2 golf teams are a wash, Field Hockey and Rowing are ladies only sports so it may require cutting a men's sport.

B1G is ultimately going to be giving us a boatload of money. I'd think they would rather see us add sports and not eliminate sports.

Indiana, Ohio state, Purdue, etc. can't be happy sending $ to RU and not having them able to field a men's swimming and diving team.

Reactions: FastMJ
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT