ADVERTISEMENT

If the B1G gets 2 into the CFP ...

BeantownKnight

All Conference
Feb 14, 2008
I am correct in thinking that we - along with every B1G school - stand to benefit if two B1G schools get into the CFP, right? If I'm not mistaken, something like $17.5M go to each school/conference making it to the CFP and, thus - since the B1G shares all post-season earnings - would only benefit the B1G if the VA Tech and Colorado win this weekend, right (thus enabling both tOSU and Meechigan to make into the CFP)?

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
IF Washington loses to Colorado tonight, they are.

Hell, it doesn't even have to be UM. It can be tOSU and Wisconsin or PSU (as much as that disgusts me to type that). The point is that the conference shares the revenue from each school making the CFP, correct? If so, I fully support tOSU and everyone of our other B1G comrades in the top ten.

Keep in mind the committee reassesses after every week. Michigan is 5 now, but if PSU beats another highly ranked team their resume improves and they jump #5 Michigan to get in.

Every CFB show on Sirius/XM today agreed with Michigan now at 5 and Washington at 4, IF Washington loses tonight, then Michigan moves up 1 to 4. And plays Bama in the semi. That said, I think Washinton wins tonight.

Every CFB show on Sirius/XM today agreed with Michigan now at 5 and Washington at 4, IF Washington loses tonight, then Michigan moves up 1 to 4. And plays Bama in the semi. That said, I think Washinton wins tonight.
I just can't see it. First I don't see two B1G teams going. I sure as heck don't see two going with the B1G champion sitting home

Sure, they move up ... until PSU or Wisconsin wins tomorrow!

I am correct in thinking that we - along with every B1G school - stand to benefit if two B1G schools get into the CFP, right? If I'm not mistaken, something like $17.5M go to each school/conference making it to the CFP and, thus - since the B1G shares all post-season earnings - would only benefit the B1G if the VA Tech and Colorado win this weekend, right (thus enabling both tOSU and Meechigan to make into the CFP)?

No, we don't stand to make another dime. We're getting our flat payout from the Big Ten this year, so whether there are two teams in the CFP, one or none, we get the same. Full share members will make out. Us and Maryland, not so much.

There is one way 3 teams can get in. Basically Clemson loses, Washington loses badly then winner of Wisc/PSU gets in and you have a choice take Colorado or Michigan. Now tell me the TV people won't take Michigan?

There are some ways 2 teams can get in and obviously Clemson or Washington loses or PSU/Wisc winner wins big.

If the B1G gets two in that's about 2 million for Rutgers.

Incorrect. A conference gets $6 million for each team it places in a CFP semifinal game. There is no payout for making it to the title game, although the participating schools get around $2 million for travel expenses.

With the UW win..... the ONLY school at risk of not making the playoff at this point is Clemson.

......no reason to even watch games on Saturday........

No, we don't stand to make another dime. We're getting our flat payout from the Big Ten this year, so whether there are two teams in the CFP, one or none, we get the same. Full share members will make out. Us and Maryland, not so much.
Sad comprehension fail ITT, especially for a B1G university with all its academic requirements. The OP didn't ask if two B1G teams could make the playoff, but if ANY TWO made it, would RU benefit financially from it. czxqa finally got it, but this thread was hard to read. Would not read again.

UM fans are so mad right now...freakin' hilarious. The almighty Harbaugh in line to win what he always has...nothing.
I like it a lot when Hardoosh has problems. And with the payout he gets, the fans will expect him to beat Urbs and (now, perhaps) Franklin, and will get restless with 10-win seasons. Being good has many advantages, but patience isn't abundant at the top.

Reactions: kjb32812
Sad comprehension fail ITT, especially for a B1G university with all its academic requirements. The OP didn't ask if two B1G teams could make the playoff, but if ANY TWO made it, would RU benefit financially from it. czxqa finally got it, but this thread was hard to read. Would not read again.

I don't think.anyone was trying to answer the OP's question because they had no clue or didn't care. And if two teams don't get in, it's all moot. Not sure if the guy who did answer is correct or not, but so far, going with "won't matter."

Reactions: ATIOH
Clemson has to lose for anything to change now. But if they do, only Wisconsin could make it in over Michigan. Michigan blasted PSU, and their overall W/L record would be the same. So UM needs a Clemson win and a PSU win.

Hoping for a Clemson loss, and Wisky to clobber PSU.

Clemson has to lose for anything to change now. But if they do, only Wisconsin could make it in over Michigan. Michigan blasted PSU, and their overall W/L record would be the same. So UM needs a Clemson win and a PSU win.

PSU would have an extra win, not same record. Think that, plus the title, would get them in but not going to put money on it.

PSU would have an extra win, not same record. Think that, plus the title, would get them in but not going to put money on it.
Well, you are right on the win total! But they would have to have a convincing win, a la OSU against Wisky a season or two ago, in order to get past Michigan. 49-10 head-to-head is hard to overlook.

The chances of our disagreement being resolved are pretty slim!

Reactions: FanuSanu52
I like it a lot when Hardoosh has problems. And with the payout he gets, the fans will expect him to beat Urbs and (now, perhaps) Franklin, and will get restless with 10-win seasons. Being good has many advantages, but patience isn't abundant at the top.

What is crazy is that I am a closet UM fan. That being said, I absolutely can't stand Harbaugh. The last few weeks have been interesting listening to the UM guys talk like they aren't 1/3 in their last games and are some kind of powerhouse. It's also been comical because of how mad they are at Penn State.

"Hardoosh" LMFAO[thumb2]

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
Over Wisconsin or PSU? Doubtful
Not over Wisc, but definitely over PSU. Assuming Clemson loses, which is a must, if PSU wins, they will have the same exact record but UM slaughtered PSU. The committee will never select PSU over UM.

Reactions: Peteyd

I could like this post all day...

Not over Wisc, but definitely over PSU. Assuming Clemson loses, which is a must, if PSU wins, they will have the same exact record but UM slaughtered PSU. The committee will never select PSU over UM.
Can't see it. No way a B1G cahmp gets left our and two teams that didn't even make Indy go. Head to head doesn't work because then PSU beat OSU

Can't see it. No way a B1G cahmp gets left our and two teams that didn't even make Indy go. Head to head doesn't work because then PSU beat OSU
OSU is in a different category since they only have 1 loss. Alabama (regardless of if they beat FL or not) and OSU are 100% absolute locks on the CFP. Washington is now the 3rd lock. PSU will not jump a team with an identical record that blew them out. Sorry, that's not how things work. The selection committee picks the 4 best teams, not automatically the conference champs. Do you think FL would jump Alabama if they won? Hell no.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
OSU is in a different category since they only have 1 loss. Alabama (regardless of if they beat FL or not) and OSU are 100% absolute locks on the CFP. Washington is now the 3rd lock. PSU will not jump a team with an identical record that blew them out. Sorry, that's not how things work. The selection committee picks the 4 best teams, not automatically the conference champs. Do you think FL would jump Alabama if they won? Hell no.
Sorry but nobody knows how things work because this is unchratered territory. If it was really about the top 4 then we would hear a lot more USC commentary.

If RU was 11-2 and winners of the B1G and didn't get into the playoffs this board would melt down. Winning the conference should account for something. If Clemson loses, the winner of the conference needs to jump over Michigan.

Reactions: sct1111

Go Wisconsin!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT