ADVERTISEMENT

If The B1G Plays B-ball in 2020, Will It Be in A Bubble?

RutgersMO

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2001
Rutgers & NJ @ Heart
Since there won' t be any fans in the stands, wouldn't it make more sense to emulate a paradigm that seems to working (i.e. the NBA)?

Also, since most if not all classes will be remote in the fall 2020... being housed in "X" location along with the other teams would allow for a for schedule of games (generating revenue to the school), allow for local hotels to secure teams to reduce the spread of germs and give the schedule a chance of being implemented / completed.

If not we're looking at isolated shut downs (e.g. St. Louis Cardinal, Miami Marlins MLB)...assuming there are no relapses, or parties that are too hot to pass up (an Oklahoma State U. sorority reported an outbreak of 23 new Covid Cases today....how many days till the football, basketball and LAX teams are on the shelve?).

https://www.newson6.com/story/5f384e61da34d80ba20cf96a/osu-sorority-reports-23-covid19-cases

MO

They should, but probably can’t. Even if you could do it from a student-athletes vs employees standpoint, I’d guess it’s way too expensive to be feasible.

Lol. There won’t be a bubble. These are students. Come on mo.

Ok. State U had 23 new cases of Covid today & another U announced Covid cases since re-opening. As someone whose oldest is a lecturer in history (UCLA grad), and youngest graduated Magna this year....I wouldn't be sending or paying for my kids to be in petri (even if it were Harvard!).

The Bubble seems to work. Why alter a protocol that works? Do you really believe it's better to have another free for all a la the 20+ cases @ Rutgers after the house party? If you want to see a season ...starting in 2020, you've got to show some degree of control and self restraint.

BTW, NZ has just announced a lock down for 12 days ....and delay of elections by a month!

MO

Ok. State U had 23 new cases of Covid today & another U announced Covid cases since re-opening. As someone whose oldest is a lecturer in history (UCLA grad), and youngest graduated Magna this year....I wouldn't be sending or paying for my kids to be in petri (even if it were Harvard!).

The Bubble seems to work. Why alter a protocol that works? Do you really believe it's better to have another free for all a la the 20+ cases @ Rutgers after the house party? If you want to see a season ...starting in 2020, you've got to show some degree of control and self restraint.

BTW, NZ has just announced a lock down for 12 days ....and delay of elections by a month!

MO
You’re totally right but making a bubble is EXPENSIVE. I don’t know that the colleges or conference or whoever could afford it. Looking at what the NBA is doing give you an appreciation for the size of operation that requires. Lodging and food for players, coaches, support staff, officials, conference personnel, tutors, medical, etc etc. and then the facilities themselves for games.... it’s just so much stuff and I’d imagine the price tag is enormous.

Edit: it’s costing the NBA over $150M. https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29394052/orlando-bubble-cost-nba-more-150-million

If testing can/is reliable and relatively fast.......

put the players in 3 bubbles.....
Bubble 1---Jan 1 thru January 21 (bang out 12 games in 20 days)
Bubble 2---Feb 21 thru March 4 (bang out 8 games in 12 days)
Bubble 3-- Invite 50 teams from 5 major conferences to play conference tournaments and get right in to NCAA tourney.

You can also have inventory for FS1, ESPN, CBS if bubbles of major conferences are at different times. You could also open up stands for 500 or so people willing to big $ to watch a live game to fund efforts.

Reactions: RutgersMO
I just hope Kevin Warren and the B1G presidents let the conference play.
🙄

They will - The season starts after November 4th.
No doubt the CBB season will start sometime after Nov. 4 but I don't trust Kevin Warren to allow the B1G schools to play.

I cannot believe that the B1G hired someone, to replace such a good commissioner, that had zero college sports industry experience.

Reactions: Local Shill
ADVERTISEMENT