ADVERTISEMENT

If this team had a Charles Oakley type

mugrat86

All American
Gold Member
Dec 11, 2014
Thrilled to go dancing, however with a 6’9” four
It would be a top 10 team. Harper is just too short to play 4 and we are not winning the rebounding category lately. When you don’t have the sharp shooters, rebounding is that much more important. What has become even more worrisome is the lack of offensive rebounding

Reactions: ru4423 and jonS
Interesting. The thing about Oakley I always liked were his defense, rebounding, and ability to pop out and make 18 footers. Had Zero post up game but that didn’t matter.

The way this team has had trouble scoring the ball, I’m not sure a rebounding 4 makes us a top 10 team. Adding a guy like Kyle Young (OSU) would certainly help but that does little to address our scoring deficiencies

The way this team has had trouble scoring the ball, I’m not sure a rebounding 4 makes us a top 10 team. Adding a guy like Kyle Young (OSU) would certainly help but that does little to address our scoring deficiencies

when you have more shots taken, fg% does not become as imperative

I love him, but not being greedy. Yeboah was a bigger loss than most acknowledge.We just need a guy dedicated to rebounding like Rodman or Oakley. Rashod Kent would be another guy
Imagine Rashod playing the four and Myles at the five at the same time. Incredible front court rebounding and defense but it’d be a foul a Rama at the end of a close game. I think Myles is a better free throw shooter than Kent was

If we had 2-3 reliable shooters, we might have seen Pike actually experiment with Cliff at the 4 and Myles at the 5. Because we don't, its like playing 3 on 5 in the offensive end and therefore a non-starter. Really needed one of the three frosh (most likely Mag) to be able to provide a few quality minutes at the 4. Maybe next year.

If we had 2-3 reliable shooters, we might have seen Pike actually experiment with Cliff at the 4 and Myles at the 5. Because we don't, its like playing 3 on 5 in the offensive end and therefore a non-starter. Really needed one of the three frosh (most likely Mag) to be able to provide a few quality minutes at the 4. Maybe next year.
There are too many players getting extended minutes that have failed putting enough points on the scoreboard .Combine that fact with Harper and Baker not scoring in high double figures makes every game a grind out battle.Winning ten league games and four road games was a major achievement.

Harper is a quality 3 but a lousy 4.
In D he is too infrequently near the basket in position to rebound.
Don't know if it is by design for him to leak out with the hope of generating an open three but that results in many more 2nd chance points for our opponents

We definitely need a couple of 6-8 or 6-9 guys. That’s why it is IMPERATIVE that Palmquist and Reiber develop.

So basically if we had EO.

Took the words right out of my mouth. That's exactly the description the OP made.

Plus then we wouldn't have to listen to that burnt out deadhead Bill Walton say every time EO score at a home game: "That was Eugene, from Eugene, in Eugene!!!" We heard you the first 100 times Bill. STFU

Honestly Walton has overtaken Dickie V on the annoying announcing scale.

We definitely need a couple of 6-8 or 6-9 guys. That’s why it is IMPERATIVE that Palmquist and Reiber develop.

If you think Palmquist or Rieber are going to be an Oakley style of player....well that's a reach. OP is a perimeter player who has no value unless he can be a sniper from 3, and Rieber needs to hit the weight room in a big way or he will be pushed around in this conference.

Reactions: mugrat86
I agree that this team would have been very different had we retained EO. I also agree Harper is a 3 not a 4 and Caleb is certainly not a 4. That’s where the issue is. I also agree that Reiber and Oscar are both 3’s. We NEED a 4

Reactions: jonS
I love him, but not being greedy. Yeboah was a bigger loss than most acknowledge.We just need a guy dedicated to rebounding like Rodman or Oakley. Rashod Kent would be another guy
I've been saying how big a loss Yeboah has been for quite some time. Not having second a reliable rebounder to support Myles has become a major problem.

Yes , add a guy like a great nba forward.
Probably would make us a lot better
You must have a reading comprehension issue. I did not say Oakley. I said an Oakley type meaning a guy who just cares about rebounding

This was one thing I was going to say. I think Carter was also more of a loss than most thought? Although Cliff is coming along; Shaq was a big body and he could do some posting. Between those two guys, we had a little more of a seasoned group. If we had a player like Lidell; we could be in the top 3 in the big 10.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
We need Rodman.

We are too short.

Here is my strategy against Rutgers. Get Myles out fast and then you can out rebound Rutgers at both ends amd win easily.

BOTTOM LINE - we need to start rebounding better. How many points did Minny get off 2nd and 3rd chances yesterday??!!

Imagine Rashod playing the four and Myles at the five at the same time. Incredible front court rebounding and defense but it’d be a foul a Rama at the end of a close game. I think Myles is a better free throw shooter than Kent was
Honestly, I take Yeboah over Rashod on this team.

It really would be nice if we could find a 6'8" or 6'9" guy who can get 9-10 rebounds a game and a guy who would be an enforcer. Ron could than plat smell forward. I don't know if we can find this type of guy but it sure would be nice. Eugene was not 6'8" and he is only getting 5 rebounds a game for Oregon. He is good but I think if he was still at RU he would have wanted too many shots.

EOs eligibility expired last year if he didn't transfer.....the best thing he did for his career path was to transfer, sit out a year, work on expanding his offensive (shootng) to his game, get healthy and impress this season. There's a huge difference with am experienced 5th year player (Jacob Young and Eugene Omoyuri are prime examples) and that same player in Year 4....nowhere nearly as effective in Year 4 as they are in Year 5.

The best thing for RU going forward is to not have any of these seasons count for Caleb, RHJ, Mulcahy, Mathis and other wings/forwards. The 5th year weapon is used a lot by the Wisconsins, Purdue, Iowa type programs in the B1G....it gives you a chance to not have to keep recruiting people over and over and allows a true development plan. And the program really gets the best player in Years 4 and 5, vs years 2 and 3 and having to have a replacement in line by the time Year 4 comes around.

Reactions: Joey Bacala
How funny the last 10 years all we have talked about is how we need a stretch 4 and how in modern college basketball you need at least 4 guys that can shoot.

now that we have finally entered the new world playing without an “old school 4” we want the old 4 back.

Reactions: RU at the shore
Ron Harpers defensive rebound metrics are down this year despite playing mostly 4. That is a big problem. Without having 2 bigger guys (Yeboah and Myles) on the court his numbers should have increased.

Ron Harpers defensive rebound metrics are down this year despite playing mostly 4. That is a big problem. Without having 2 bigger guys (Yeboah and Myles) on the court his numbers should have increased.

its not all about size - check your vitals. Yeboah was shorter than Ron, Paul, and Caleb at like 6'5" IIRC. Great rebounding requires a combination of HEIGHT, ANTICIPATION, TIMING, and WANT. See also Charles Barkley - generously listed at 6'6"

On point

its not all about size - check your vitals. Yeboah was shorter than Ron, Paul, and Caleb at like 6'5" IIRC. Great rebounding requires a combination of HEIGHT, ANTICIPATION, TIMING, and WANT. See also Charles Barkley - generously listed at 6'6"
Bottom line instead of playing with Yeboah that player is replaced by a McConnell or Mathis. As a result his rebound metrics should go higher because his “competition” for rebounds is lower.

the fact the his DREB% is actually lower is a bad sign. All things equal it should be a few % points higher.

for reference...
Harper was a 17.7% last year and is a 17.1% this year.

what this means is if the opponent misses a shot there is a 17.1% chance Ron will get it.

Our core 5 this year
Young 6.5
Baker 10.5
Mulcahy 9.6
Harper 17.1
Myles 26.1
Total 69.8

last year
Baker 9.3
Mathis 12.3 or Caleb 13.5
Harper 17.7
Yeboah 16.5
Myles 20.5

total 76.3

The biggest problem facing this team all year long was not having a “4”. Pike should have recruited a fair to middling transfer to fill this huge hole in the line up. Inexcusable.

The biggest problem facing this team all year long was not having a “4”. Pike should have recruited a fair to middling transfer to fill this huge hole in the line up. Inexcusable.

before you say inexcusable you need to name the transfer

before you say inexcusable you need to name the transfer
In 2020: Frederick Scott transferred from Rider to B.C.; Ed Cromwell from Lasalle to Providence; Deaundre Ballard from Fla. to S. Alabama; Felip Hasse from Mercer to S. Carolina; Noah Hurchler from N. Florida to Providence., etc.

ADVERTISEMENT