ADVERTISEMENT

If we care about these kids our coaches should be real with them that euro ball = minimum wage and delaying your real life

• Thread starter anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy

Theres just some real bad info and perceptions out there about euro ball. I keep seeing it here and have to believe our players hold similar thoughts. The large large large majority of euroball players make no more than about $30-40k (MAX) per year.

Encouraging these kids to play euroball and not pursue the real world is really just hurting their futures. It’s time someone sits down with these kids and has conversations with them that are uncomfortable. Are you better off in life playing euroball making near minimum wage until youre 30 putting off the real world and not getting an entry level job until youre 30? Or are you better off leveraging your name recognition and getting an entry level job in the real world at 22-23 making $60k/yr (double euro ball) so that by the time youre 30 youve gotten promotions to where youre making $150k-$200k/yr? These conversations are uncomfortable but if we actually care about these kids futures they need to be had.
Michael Nzei should be a role model for all non-nba talents https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...ion-from-basketball-court-to-wall-street/amp/

bottom line geo’s best options for 2021-2022 imo are

1) come back and play another year
2) go start in the real world

300) euroball

Who says you have to start "real life" at 22? You can play in Europe as a cool experience for a few years.
There are alot of businesses reluctant to give entry level jobs to 30 year olds and prefer the fresh out of college crowd. It really puts them behind the 8 ball resume, experience and earnings wise for the rest of their lives. Id love to hear of some guys who played in europe until they were even 28 who came back to the US started a normal life and even hit upper middle class. Im sure theres some examples but my guess is very few.

for example, look at the local schools like shu, sju and ru. Were there any players who didnt play in the nba, went to europe and played for years and were better off than starting their real life?

You can tell these guys this but let's be honest. They are still kids with not a lot of real world experience living the life a D1 athlete in a bubble. Sometimes they just need figure it out on their own.

Geo wants to get paid. He should go do that then. His legacy is now solid here. Not much left do except on more run hopefully. The next chapter of RU basketball begins, which is a constant in college athletics.

There is not a single right answer for all kids. What’s Geo’s major? What’re his career plans?

An academically inclined player can go play in Europe for a while, enjoy that experience. Then come back and attend grad school.

Some career choices are helped by starting as quickly as possible. Some aren’t.

Reactions: ChasRC69
With a son who has minor league baseball aspirations (I’m realistic he will never be anything more then low level minors/independent) I feel he should still chase his dream for a few years. If not, he will regret it the rest of his life. As someone said above, there is no right answer. Not everyone wants to make $150k per year in business. Some may want to be teachers, coaches, instructors, Police, etc. that can all wait a few years IMO.

With a son who has minor league baseball aspirations (I’m realistic he will never be anything more then low level minors/independent) I feel he should still chase his dream for a few years. If not, he will regret it the rest of his life. As someone said above, there is no right answer. Not everyone wants to make $150k per year in business. Some may want to be teachers, coaches, instructors, Police, etc. that can all wait a few years IMO.
Fair. I just think when you leave the game and hit the real world youd regret not starting the real world earlier. I guess just different perspectives. Nothing wrong with either perspective. The conversation should still be had to lay out the facts with these kids though. If it was my son id want to see him go the michael nzei route personally.

Sat next to a guy late 30’s on a plane to México city. He played at South Carolina and they made it to sweet 16 I believe. He had played professionally since he graduated. He played in 3 leagues per year. Room and board taken care of for him at every stop so he had zero expenses. Kept some stuff at his parents. Told me he basically averaged $200-$300k per year with virtually no expenses for 15 years. Not bad if you do it that way.

I always advised my students, when asked, to follow their dreams. They would regret it forever - or at the very least - always wonder what could have been - if they take what seems to be the "practical" route upon graduation. "Practical" never really worked out well for me.

All that said, I would love to see Geo on the Banks next year, perhaps finishing with an MA degree. That would keep all options open to him.

Reactions: Rutgers56
Not everything is a numbers game.

If a guy goes to Europe for 3 years and then comes back is her behind the 8 ball that much?.

I agree euro ball is not all that great unless you're in a few select leagues. But it could also open doors for you in the basketball world.

Fair. I just think when you leave the game and hit the real world youd regret not starting the real world earlier. I guess just different perspectives. Nothing wrong with either perspective. The conversation should still be had to lay out the facts with these kids though. If it was my son id want to see him go the michael nzei route personally.
His route was a basketball insider got him an internship on Wall Street. Great. Doesn't necessarily mean it's gonna work out. Maybe you get a pass for a year or two based on your college ball days, but that will dry up fast if you aren't a big earner. Then what? Can't go back to playing ball.

Most of these kids really love playing ball and would like to see where it takes them before hanging it up for good.

Reactions: Knightmoves

Agree that there should be an honest conversation surrounding their future and what each avenue has in store for them. Although to say they’ll be behind in “real life” is selling their experiences short. There are tons of jobs waiting for ex college/pro athletes out there regardless of age (at least in banking) ...heck Mike Teel worked for UBS after an unsuccessful stint In the NFL. There will always be jobs for former college athletes to sell to their alumni.

Agree that there should be an honest conversation surrounding their future and what each avenue has in store for them. Although to say they’ll be behind in “real life” is selling their experiences short. There are tons of jobs waiting for ex college/pro athletes out there regardless of age (at least in banking) ...heck Mike Teel worked for UBS after an unsuccessful stint In the NFL. There will always be jobs for former college athletes to sell to their alumni.

Jamar Adams is a great example of this. Undrafted out of Michigan, bounced around NFL practice squads, got a meeting with Stephen Ross and is now a rising star at Related. FT recently profiled his success.

Sat next to a guy late 30’s on a plane to México city. He played at South Carolina and they made it to sweet 16 I believe. He had played professionally since he graduated. He played in 3 leagues per year. Room and board taken care of for him at every stop so he had zero expenses. Kept some stuff at his parents. Told me he basically averaged $200-$300k per year with virtually no expenses for 15 years. Not bad if you do it that way.
If he was making that type of money then he was a household name who likely played some in the NBA. Who was he?

for example, I know for a fact that Alpha Diallo makes $8k/month on an 8 month contract. He was no slouch at providence. Averaged 16 and 8 there and was on the nba radar

Shocking OP making $hit up to fit a self serving narrative. Not sure where you got your numbers from but that is not what most euro and wealthier Asian leagues pay.

Overseas salaries

Additionally as others have pointed out getting to live in another country and make some nice money is a great experience that can also help job prospects in your home and adoptive country. Also not sure about all these agencies that OP claims only want to hire fresh out of college but that sounds more likely anecdotal examples. I have personally worked with 3 former professional athletes that started their careers after playing in Europe (2 hoops, 1 futbol) and they seem to be just fine.

If he was making that type of money then he was a household name who likely played some in the NBA. Who was he?

for example, I know for a fact that Alpha Diallo makes $8k/month on an 8 month contract. He was no slouch at providence. Averaged 16 and 8 there and was on the nba radar
That is 64k for 8 months of work . The other 4 months the guy can do camps , coach, etc . Not bad coin if you love playing hoops.

People who have jobs that I think I could train my St. Bernard to do should not give career direction to college students.
LOL. Says the guy who financially supported a pedophile ring, has doscussed designing buildings for UV light and had a significantly lesser net worth than me at the same age. Not to mention Id mop the floor with you even in your prime. Do you want to talk shit? Either meet up with me or call me on the phone. Until then shut your ****ing mouth or I’ll ****ing ragdoll you the next time I see you

LOL. Says the guy who financially supported a pedophile ring, has doscussed designing buildings for UV light and had a significantly lesser net worth than me at the same age. Not to mention Id mop the floor with you even in your prime. Do you want to talk shit? Either meet up with me or call me on the phone. Until then shut your ****ing mouth or I’ll ****ing ragdoll you the next time I see you
Do you guys know each other ?

Reactions: Night Man
Shocking OP making $hit up to fit a self serving narrative. Not sure where you got your numbers from but that is not what most euro and wealthier Asian leagues pay.

Overseas salaries

Additionally as others have pointed out getting to live in another country and make some nice money is a great experience that can also help job prospects in your home and adoptive country. Also not sure about all these agencies that OP claims only want to hire fresh out of college but that sounds more likely anecdotal examples. I have personally worked with 3 former professional athletes that started their careers after playing in Europe (2 hoops, 1 futbol) and they seem to be just fine.
Now go ahead and name me some players and how much they make. I have an inside source and we’re pretty much every New Jersey or NYC based guy makes overseas. I’ve posted this before, but I am good friends with a guy heavily involved in AAU scene in New Jersey and an NBA scout

Do you guys know each other ?
He tries to repeatedly disparage me for being a real estate broker and investor. I have no idea who he is, other than the fact he is also a real estate investor who swears he knows Donald Trump. He is a clown is what he is, an absolute beta male Who wouldn’t dare say a word he posts on here to my face because Id ****ing clown him.

to further elaborate on this, for me personally idc what he says as i do extremely well for myself but its moreso people like @RutgHoops are literally the worst that exist in society. If he thinks this about my profession imagine what he thinks about and how he treats waiters, waitresses, bartenders, contractors, landscapers, leasing agents, door men, plumbers, electricians, admins, secretaries, janitors, barbers, teachers,?writers. Really just the worst society has to offer. People who believe theyre better than everyone and therefore reserve the right to disparage and judge everyone are the worst of the worst

Last edited by a moderator:
Go follow your dreams and do what you love...I am in my 40s now but I would LOVE to be able to play basketball again if given the chance

Reactions: DirtyRU
It’s not all about money. Besides you’re assuming these guys are all going to do something in business. Maybe they will be teachers, coaches, first responders, etc.

The experiences they’ll have overseas I’m sure will be amazing

Reactions: RUPartisan
It’s not all about money. Besides you’re assuming these guys are all going to do something in business. Maybe they will be teachers, coaches, first responders, etc.

The experiences they’ll have overseas I’m sure will be amazing
Other than the top-tier leagues, these guys barely have enough money to go out and have a good time.

again people will have different perspectives but my first year post college I made a little over $100,000 that year and now I just turned 30 and I’m making about about 3/4 of a million. The groundwork was laid when I was single had time and was fresh out of college. Life happens and these guys might have kids before they make it back to the US. I just think they’re better off starting the real world and just not holding on to this game past college unless theyre serious top tier euro talent or nba talent

Other than the top-tier leagues, these guys barely have enough money to go out and have a good time.

again people will have different perspectives but my first year post college I made a little over $100,000 that year and now I just turned 30 and I’m making about about 3/4 of a million. The groundwork was laid when I was single had time and was fresh out of college. Life happens and these guys might have kids before they make it back to the US. I just think they’re better off starting the real world and just not holding on to this game past college unless theyre serious top tier euro talent or nba talent

Have you ever wondered why nobody likes you?

• Haha
Reactions: hoquat63

You sure like to brag a lot about yourself on the Rutgers bball board lol

Reactions: Salvi's Headband
Have you ever wondered why nobody likes you?
Extremely well liked. One of the most liked people every room i step into. Most say I have a radiant energy coming off me. Ive been told i have one of the greatest personalities on earth. People have called me a chameleon

Reactions: cshelley
Now go ahead and name me some players and how much they make. I have an inside source and we’re pretty much every New Jersey or NYC based guy makes overseas. I’ve posted this before, but I am good friends with a guy heavily involved in AAU scene in New Jersey and an NBA scout

Off the top of my head I know Jordan Theodore had a real nice career in Europe. Think he was in turkey for a while. Angel Delgado had a monster offer in China. I know it didn’t work out but don’t know the details. Khadeen Carrington seemed to have a nice thing going in Germany prior to his injury.

Businesses fall all over themselves to hire athletes in sales and marketing positions. I've seen Temple backup QBs handed a $1M book of business based solely on their sports experiences. There are many, many opportunities for players to follow their dreams to play professionally and then parlay that into a rewarding career.

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
Businesses fall all over themselves to hire athletes in sales and marketing positions. I've seen Temple backup QBs handed a $1M book of business based solely on their sports experiences. There are many, many opportunities for players to follow their dreams to play professionally and then parlay that into a rewarding career.
Right but to capitalize I think you need to do so within 4/5 years post grad. After that your name starts to fall off

Off the top of my head I know Jordan Theodore had a real nice career in Europe. Think he was in turkey for a while. Angel Delgado had a monster offer in China. I know it didn’t work out but don’t know the details. Khadeen Carrington seemed to have a nice thing going in Germany prior to his injury.
You are right there. I do know JT does really well for himself and has made good money.

angel is borderline nba guy so as I said earlier his talent level will make him really good money and a career.

im not sure about karrington, ill have to ask my guy about him

Another option is playing in Asia. Salaries are a little lower then Europe but the cost of living is so low you can live like a king for a couple of years and get a lifetime worth of experiences.

Reactions: cshelley
There are millions, maybe tens of millions, of people, including ones with college degrees, who never make $40,000. They can lead very happy lives and have a wife and children who love them very much and aren’t near as screwed up as people who make hundreds of thousands or even millions but who spend their life doing drugs, boozing, going to shrinks, have spoiled kids who want nothing to do with them, and have divorce attorneys on retainer. If a guy wants to play ball until his legs fall off and then gets a job with a livable wage, that is his decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT