ADVERTISEMENT

If You Want To Get Excited For RU Lax, Check This Out...

Any reason why Rutgers men’s lacrosse coverage never makes it to local newspapers? Does lacrosse coverage only happen in Baltimore and Syracuse and maybe Long Island newspapers?

Reactions: jreinsdorf
Any reason why Rutgers men’s lacrosse coverage never makes it to local newspapers? Does lacrosse coverage only happen in Baltimore and Syracuse and maybe Long Island newspapers?
I'll do you one better (or worse really). This week i was in Red Bank at the Lacrosse Unlimited store. Not a single piece of RU gear on the wall. NOTHING. Red Bank is 40 minutes from campus. That is nuts. I asked the two people behind the counter why? They didn't know but said, "our best seller by far is Notre Dame." I said i could understand if the program sucked but they were the number 1 team in the country briefly last year and top 10 this year. That was a really disappointing observation.

Thanks for sharing this article! I am a lacrosse noob but I enjoy hearing about successful Rutgers programs.

I went in to a Univeesal lacrosse store near me to check out their RU gear and they also had zero RU stuff. Duke, Carolina and that was it.

Poor coverage of lacrosse in general is a problem. I will tell you that perception of rutgers is outstanding. I coach with an elite travel program and am the head coach of a very good high school. Rutgers is the dream school for most of the kids. They all want an offer there.

This site is really missing the boat on lacrosse. Coach Brecht is very welcoming to the press. I am certain he would give the folks that run this site a lot of access.

The fact they can't at least do as much as they do for wrestling is head scratching, all things considered.

I think we get better coverage in the Balto. Sun than we do with our local press, which I include this site a part of.

Everyone loves a front runner though. If this team breaks through to Memorial Day weekend, you will see a lot of the NJ folks jump on board.

Season tickets are $40. It's an absolute steal to see a team like this, with our schedule and fast pace scoring style, at that price for a whole season. I'd pay that for 1 game.

This site is really missing the boat on lacrosse. Coach Brecht is very welcoming to the press. I am certain he would give the folks that run this site a lot of access.

The fact they can't at least do as much as they do for wrestling is head scratching, all things considered.

I think we get better coverage in the Balto. Sun than we do with our local press, which I include this site a part of.

Everyone loves a front runner though. If this team breaks through to Memorial Day weekend, you will see a lot of the NJ folks jump on board.

Season tickets are $40. It's an absolute steal to see a team like this, with our schedule and fast pace scoring style, at that price for a whole season. I'd pay that for 1 game.

I think the problem with a lot of NJ media is that it is still run by the good old boys that think football is king. Lacrosse is quickly growing, and becoming a far more important sport, at many high schools in NJ than football is. I think we also see a lot of people know nothing about the sport in order to report on it.

Well they really need to get educated. Their state U has solid program knocking on the door of becoming great and the state is producing tons of talent at the high school level. It all needs to be much more visible in the media.

I thought that this was a spring sport? Why are so many games played in February and March, kind of crappy out in those months, why not more games in May when the weather is nice?
Lots of other sports going on at the same time and lacrosse is far down on the list

I thought that this was a spring sport? Why are so many games played in February and March, kind of crappy out in those months, why not more games in May when the weather is nice?
Lots of other sports going on at the same time and lacrosse is far down on the list

Because of when The National Championship is played.

Reactions: Caliknight
Doesn’t baseball play into June? Seems like you would get more fans if you played in better weather.

Reactions: ruready07
Nobody agrees with me on this but I say play less regular season games or play at least two a week.

If B1G Hockey can do it, so can B1G Lacrosse.

You can play a few weeks of 2 games a week, but no coach is going to sign up for that. I don't know how hockey does it, if in fact, they play 2x a week for a season, but lacrosse is a rough sport. 2 D1 games a week for a season would kill those kids. It ain't happening.

Well they really need to get educated. Their state U has solid program knocking on the door of becoming great and the state is producing tons of talent at the high school level. It all needs to be much more visible in the media.
And in stores. And at youth tournaments. The program/school is not UNDER represented at these venues it is NONEXISTENT. Blows my mind too because it is like the sport is growing so rapidly despite the lack of exposure

And in stores. And at youth tournaments. The program/school is not UNDER represented at these venues it is NONEXISTENT. Blows my mind too because it is like the sport is growing so rapidly despite the lack of exposure
This is true.

My boys have moved on to HS but at the club level tournaments when they were younger there was never anything Rutgers. And this for the ones in NJ.

Reactions: jreinsdorf
This is true.

My boys have moved on to HS but at the club level tournaments when they were younger there was never anything Rutgers. And this for the ones in NJ.
Bums me out every time i see it. My daughter was at a tourney 30 minutes from campus with 70 teams last year and the tent had nothing red except MD. OK you wanna make the argument that the RU women have only had moderate success compared to their counterparts? At least its one point to be made and not a good one at that imo. Again...70 teams, 30 minutes from campus and no RU presence. On the guys side no casual observer would ever know the men were the number ONE team in the nation (albeit briefly) last year and top FIVE this season. That is a huuuuuge accomplishment. I don't know if its the schools fault for not getting the logo "out there" or the local newspapers being egregiously slow to cover such a rapidly growing sport. But when i see the sports massive popularity from the youth to HS level i wonder why there is such an inverse relationship with the number of athletes and the sports/schools exposure in local papers, tourneys and stores. It make no sense to me.

Not going to defend NJ.com or the Ledger here but IMO they do a pretty good job for HS Lacrosse. Real good. Not so much on the collegiate level though.

As to it maybe being the schools fault...my son just got accepted to the School of Engineering and the blog for new students is still using the old “battleship” Knighthead logo instead of the new forward looking one. I’m gonna guess and say not everybody is talking to each other at Rutgers.

Folks,there are a zillion people working in Rutgers Athletics these days. Go to the staff directory at scarlet knights.com and pick a name either under administration or marketing or even the Director of Lacrosse operations and mention your ideas and concerns. When I contact someone I am almost always contacted back within 48 hours or less.

So is D1 hockey and they play back to back games.

I can't speak to hockey. I didn't play it. I do know lacrosse. There is no way that is going to happen for more than a week or two during the season. There would simply be too many injuries.

ADVERTISEMENT