ADVERTISEMENT

If you're a walkon, what's worse. ?

DennisHajekRC84

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 9, 2001
Your team is up by 20 and they put you in to just get you in the book but make you placeholders to run out the clock ....OR
you just stay on the bench?

Last night even though I didn't like going 0 to 8 to finish and shrink the lead I liked that both teams kids got to actually play.

Tonight I watched Ill v. NW in same situation and they were there to just run out clock.

If I'm a player I would be like let me play or let me sit. Of course my balls have grown with age too lol.

Reactions: RUsojo
Your team is up by 20 and they put you in to just get you in the book but make you placeholders to run out the clock ....OR
you just stay on the bench?

Last night even though I didn't like going 0 to 8 to finish and shrink the lead I liked that both teams kids got to actually play.

Tonight I watched Ill v. NW in same situation and they were there to just run out clock.

If I'm a player I would be like let me play or let me sit. Of course my balls have grown with age too lol.

Honestly, I don't think it should be bad sportsmanship for bench players to run offense with the clock running down even if their team is up 30. It's one thing if the starters are running it up on you and another entirely when the walk-ons are playing each other at the end of the game. Let them play for real until the clock runs out.

I don't know why all of a sudden it became some sort of unwritten rule that you can't just keep playing to the buzzer. This is an annoying change that seems to have come about within the last 20 years.

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
DNP is the worst. Bench player or starter, if the defense backs off it is bad form to try to score. If the D is still on, it is fine for a bench player to try to score.

Reactions: RC71 and colbert17
At every level I have ever coached I have always believed you reward the walk ons or seniors who do not play much with actual PT. I'm fine if a 4th string or walk on scores when we are up by a lot.

If it were me as a walk on, I would definitely want to launch a shot. You want to at least score in college.

ADVERTISEMENT