ADVERTISEMENT

Illini Wrestling Coach Jim Heffernan Announces Retirement

No way..not Illinois. He turned down an offer to coach at his alma mater and he turned down a head coaching job with the Terps. The plan is set and he knows the right path and trajectory.
I don't think he will leave but it still makes me nervous.....I don't remember the Wisconsin situation like you do, agree he could have had the Maryland job. But Maryland is not in the same category as the Illinois job. $$$$ also come into play and Illinois was paying their head coach more than Donnie makes here.

I don't think he will leave but it still makes me nervous.....I don't remember the Wisconsin situation like you do, agree he could have had the Maryland job. But Maryland is not in the same category as the Illinois job. $$$$ also come into play and Illinois was paying their head coach more than Donnie makes here.

He was hired as an assistant coach in Wiskey around 2006. There were some rumors a few years ago as his name surfaced when they were looking for a new HC. Thankfully he didnt get the job.

Hey, his daughter just got into dance class. No way he's pulling her out now. We're good here. 😁

Hey, his daughter just got into dance class. No way he's pulling her out now. We're good here. 😁
I was going to say the same thing. We all know that he is going to be Goodales successor. There is no way they haven't had that conversation, knowing that he's one of the greatest college coaches out there. Believe me Rutgers will make every effort to keep Donnie

Reactions: elvis7
First thing that I thought of....ugh
I'm sure they'll reach out to Pritzlaff but hopefully he stays, and I haven't seen his name mentioned in many of the rumors. I have to imagine he wants to stay in NJ to be close to family and eventually succeed Coach Goodale.
You lost me with the dance class line.

You lost me with the dance class line.
There was an interview with Goodale after the whole Maryland courtship. Goodale jokingly said, "Donny you can't leave now, you just got your girls into dance class, they'll be heartbroken."

• Haha
Reactions: Leonard23
Jeremy Hunter has been an assistant at IL for 16 years. Poeta has been at IL 5 years
One of the two is likely to be a better choice than the other. If not, then seniority but I don't believe in seniority as the prevailing qualifier. I don't see the open job as a treat to losing Donny since passing up the two assistants in favor of someone outside would be the equivalent of Rutgers passing up Donny.

One of the two is likely to be a better choice than the other. If not, then seniority but I don't believe in seniority as the prevailing qualifier. I don't see the open job as a treat to losing Donny since passing up the two assistants in favor of someone outside would be the equivalent of Rutgers passing up Donny.
The AD has made 7 new coaching hires in his 6 years as AD and not 1 has been from within. All 7 came from outside the University. I could see him doing the same with this hire

Illinois hired Poeta after missing out on Schwab a d possibly others if you believe the social media reports/rumors.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT