ADVERTISEMENT

IMPACT GAMES THREAD

CBS Sports Network carrying the New Mexico vs. Utah State game. These teams don't look very good right now.

New Mexico vs. Utah State has been an affront to the sport for the past five minutes. JV level ball being played by both sides.

New Mexico vs. Utah State has been an affront to the sport for the past five minutes. JV level ball being played by both sides.

That was true for 37 minutes. The last 3 minutes were awesome. Too bad USU won, but great game.

Thursday, March 5 Recap

New Mexico
at Utah St. (Utah St., 75-70)
Washington at Arizona St. (Washington, 90-83)

Rutgers = 8 Seed

Last 4 Byes
Xavier
Stanford
USC
Texas

Last 4 In
Arizona St.
Wichita St.
Purdue
Utah St.

First 4 Out
Arkansas
Cincinnati
Richmond
Mississippi St.

Next 4 Out
North Carolina St.
Tennessee
Memphis
UCLA

Friday, March 6

Wyoming
at Utah St.
Drake at Northern Iowa
Richmond at Duquesne
Wake Forest
at North Carolina St.

Niagara at Canisius

Wyoming is terrible and has upset Colorado State and Nevada. Unfortunately, it looks like Utah State should rack up another W tonight. I think 25-8 with wins at Florida and at LSU would lock them in.

do we really want drake to win this game? would this loss knock northern iowa out? it should. can't lose to drake in the quarters, but are we sure that the committee would know them completely out. the mvc will be a bid stealer if it they lose and they still get an at large

Reactions: RU23
do we really want drake to win this game? would this loss knock northern iowa out? it should. can't lose to drake in the quarters, but are we sure that the committee would know them completely out. the mvc will be a bid stealer if it they lose and they still get an at large

Yes we do. UNI is at #36 in NET and Rutgers at #31. Losing on a neutral floor to #167 Drake would have to drop them in to the mid-40s I would think. MVC would become a one bid league (imo). I'm not sure how you'd put them in over us. UNI would have one Quad-1 win and three Quad-3 losses.

right, but they were going to get in as the automatic bid from the conference; meaning no one else from conference would get a bid; now thats in jeopardy, if the committee still likes their overal resume

I’m not sure. Certainly better for them to lose now than at any other point in the MVC tourney though.

The loss definitely worse for the B12 bubble than for us.

Yes we do. UNI is at #36 in NET and Rutgers at #31. Losing on a neutral floor to #167 Drake would have to drop them a round the mid-40s I would think. MVC would become a one bid league (imo). I'm not sure how you'd put them in over us. UNI would have one Quad-1 ween and three quad 3 losses.
Not a great scenario as this is the first bid stealer. No. Iowa’s Net and Kenpom metrics are real good and much better than East Tennessee State .Damn!!!,

Yes we do. UNI is at #36 in NET and Rutgers at #31. Losing on a neutral floor to #167 Drake would have to drop them in to the mid-40s I would think. MVC would become a one bid league (imo). I'm not sure how you'd put them in over us. UNI would have one Quad-1 win and three Quad-3 losses.

they can easily put them over us.....they took Belmont last year when they didnt have to. Not a good thing, for RU or any power 6 bubble..and these kind of thingss are impossible to predict

a bracketologists worst nightmare

it will be their 3rd Q3 loss...that is tough to overcome

I was just coming here to ask you. Is UNI a viable candidate for an at large bid or not? Your initial feeling is no? Would not be good for bubble teams if this conference got two in.

21 point loss to the 167th ranked team in the NET is a very bad look. Drake had 0 quad 1 or quad 2 wins coming into today.

Reactions: Scangg
they can easily put them over us.....they took Belmont last year when they didnt have to. Not a good thing, for RU or any power 6 bubble..and these kind of thingss are impossible to predict

I know anything can happen in that room, but it is tough to argue UNI v RU resume after this. Even if we lose two, UNI will be behind us in NET, kenpom, less Quad-1 wins, more Quad-3 losses, etc..

I simply want to see Rutgers with better/materially better resume than the teams we are competing with for an at-large. After a 21 point Quad-3 loss I am fairly certain, on paper, Rutgers is better than UNI. Doesn't mean the "let a mid-major at large in" won't happen, but it is tough to make that case versus Rutgers at this point (imo).

Last edited:
Reactions: bac2therac
right, but they were going to get in as the automatic bid from the conference; meaning no one else from conference would get a bid; now thats in jeopardy, if the committee still likes their overal resume

That normally would be true. However, based on some weird math anomalies with the NET calculation, WVU is serving as the marquis win for multiple B12 bubble teams. Theres no question this loss definitely hurts WVU’s body of work. They can still make it moot by beating Baylor in M-town tomorrow but if not, their resume is definitely weaker following this loss. It’s their second best win and now it might drop to Q2. Only top 50 are Q1 right? So they started as 36 and will get pushed further down and the other tournaments continue. Going to be close.

It is a bid stealer and worse for the true bubble teams. Rutgers is in as a 10 per Most bracketologists as of now. I agree BiG 12 and PAC 12 and NC State should be feeling worse than us.

in looking at things, It would appear Northern Iowa is behind Richmond, Utah State, and Wichita State and Cincy and Memphis in basically everything....cannot justify taking a Northern Iowa if those schools are not going, it would be criminal...so I would agree with you now that i compared some resumes.

Last edited:
UNI 1 Q1 win @ 23 Colorado
1 Q1:Close loss N 19 WVU
3 Q2 wins N 60 S.Carolina
@ 124 Mizz St. @ 110 Bradley

Q1 1-1 Q2 3-2 if they get in it's first 4 only, don't think they have enough.

Reactions: RutgHoops
That normally would be true. However, based on some weird math anomalies with the NET calculation, WVU is serving as the marquis win for multiple B12 bubble teams. Theres no question this loss definitely hurts WVU’s body of work. They can still make it moot by beating Baylor in M-town tomorrow but if not, their resume is definitely weaker following this loss. It’s their second best win and now it might drop to Q2. Only top 50 are Q1 right? So they started as 36 and will get pushed further down and the other tournaments continue. Going to be close.

yes what is fascinating to watch with the net and bubble watches is how losses are perceived 3 weeks ago vs now...lots of changes...the Pac 12 and SEC and Big 12 wins are very pedestrian as we go toward the end of the season

in looking at things, It would appear Northern Iowa is behind Richmond, Utah State, and Wichita State and Cincy and Memphis in basically everything....cannot justify taking a Northern Iowa if those schools are going, it would be criminal...so I would agree with you now that i compared some resumes.

Sorry...so do we want them to win or not?

Lol and TIA

UNI 1 Q1 win @ 23 Colorado
1 Q1:Close loss N 19 WVU
3 Q2 wins N 60 S.Carolina
@ 124 Mizz St. @ 110 Bradley

Q1 1-1 Q2 3-2 if they get in it's first 4 only, don't think they have enough.

Yup. And Rutgers has 4 Q1 wins and 4 Q2 wins. Including wins over #14 SHU and #18 Mary. And regardless of what happens our NET will be better than UNI, kenpom better than UNI, etc.

Doesn't mean the committee won't put UNI in. What I believe this does mean is if they put them in it likely won't be at our expense. Because (imo) if they are in a debate about UNI we will (hopefully/likely) already be locked in as our team sheet is materially better.

Just my $0.02

s they took Belmont last year but Belmont was 6-4 vs Q1 and 2 although the only tourney team they beat was Murray State who they lost to in the OVC finalsTheir sos non conference was 43 but had only 2 Q3 losses not 3 and losing in finals of conference tourney way better than losing in quarters

Reactions: RutgHoops
Look guys - take it for what it’s worth but even Palm’s blog from yesterday said that Northern Iowa’s only path to at large consideration was a loss to the second place team.

Pretty much every bracket had them as an 11 seed as an auto bid. A 21 point loss in the first road to the 8 seed MVC team means 3 less wins than they would’ve had to get the auto bid and an additional very bad loss. Again - they were a projected 11 seed assuming these additional 3 wins and not taking the drake loss.

I’d probably put RU’s chances of getting the BIG auto bid higher than Northern Iowa’s chances of at large. They’d need deep runs now by Colorado and South Carolina both to even be in the discussions.

Sister Jean today

giphy.gif

Reactions: gregkoko
I think what most of you are missing with N. Iowa is the number of road wins they have. They are pretty much a lock.

in looking at things, It would appear Northern Iowa is behind Richmond, Utah State, and Wichita State and Cincy and Memphis in basically everything....cannot justify taking a Northern Iowa if those schools are not going, it would be criminal...so I would agree with you now that i compared some resumes.

Agree

Northern Iowa did beat South Carolina and Colorado and lost to West va. That’s going to help their cause ...they are very much on the bubble and will be sweating for the next 9 days ...but a 21 point loss to 167 ranked drake ...that’s a really bad look to close out your resume.

Not an impact game for us but for the basketball junkies out there two pretty quality games in NJ tonight. Iona @ st peters and siena @ monmouth.

If st peters wins and siena loses, st peters wins the maac which would be truly remarkable as its only sha’s 2nd year and talk about turning chicken salad into chicken shit, st peters has NOTHING to work with. Their gym is worse than 90% of high school gyms

ill be at the SPU game rooting on the peacocks. I go to their games any time they dont conflict with RU. Fun team to watch.

Not an impact game for us but for the basketball junkies out there two pretty quality games in NJ tonight. Iona @ st peters and siena @ monmouth.

If st peters wins and siena loses, st peters wins the maac which would be truly remarkable as its only sha’s 2nd year and talk about turning chicken salad into chicken shit, st peters has NOTHING to work with. Their gym is worse than 90% of high school gyms
I didn't even know St. Peter's was a college until you brought it up the other day. Just googled it and see it's in JC. Lived in Bergen county for years no idea. Shows how small and meaningless that place is. Coach must be great

I didn't even know St. Peter's was a college until you brought it up the other day. Just googled it and see it's in JC. Lived in Bergen county for years no idea. Shows how small and meaningless that place is. Coach must be great
Yeah its like 5-10 mins from my apartment and ive played with some alums so I just go all the time. Honestly you can pretty much just walk in and no one will say anything. And ill tell ya what, i personally think its easier to be a ref in front of 15,000 booing you than 500 getting on you. You can hear every single word the 500 say haha. Theres this one fan at every game who very angrily berates the refs, like i actually think hed fight them if he was physically capable, hes not joking with his chirps hes truly out for blood haha. Guy is like at least 75

Reactions: Scangg
Duquense beat Rutgers 2x the last time RU made the NCAA tournament back in 1991, its time for them for them to do us a favor 29 years later tonight

years ago st.peters made the NIT often and were very competitive--I think they may have played at the JC Armory.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT