ADVERTISEMENT

In and Out

Well, we put this on ourselves when we didn't take care of business down the stretch and make them select us as a no brainer. Even though we had the best stats among ANY of the teams, when the human element includes any biases, this is what happens. I hope our women kick some a$$ in the WNIT.

Reactions: bac2therac
RU has no one to blame but themselves. See what kind of effort they can put in the NIT

Well, we put this on ourselves when we didn't take care of business down the stretch and make them select us as a no brainer. Even though we had the best stats among ANY of the teams, when the human element includes any biases, this is what happens. I hope our women kick some a$$ in the WNIT.

Rutgers was a no brainer to be selected.
They just got screwed.

Reactions: RU MAN
RPI 40, SOS 16, 20-12 not in the tournament. I have a hard time believing the committee went from having RU in their top sixteen to not in the tournament. So disappointed for the team and in the committee.

RU lost 9 of 12 to finish the year....they were not screwed, they screwed themselves
Yes Bac, that's true. But in the last several threads you're contradicting yourself. Yes, we did put this on ourselves by faltering, but when you look at the overall numbers there should have been NO DEBATE as to us getting in.

Well, we're out. They picked Creighton and Oklahoma instead. I'm not sure what the attraction is with Oklahoma, but their men stole a bid too. At least their men have a player to watch.

11-7 in the Big 12....RU was 7-9 in the Big 10, thats the kind of thing that can make a difference

Yes Bac, that's true. But in the last several threads you're contradicting yourself. Yes, we did put this on ourselves by faltering, but when you look at the overall numbers there should have been NO DEBATE as to us getting in.

by numbers yes but no one can complain, this team tanked and thats why they were out....never should have been in the hands of the committee

RPI 40, SOS 16, 20-12 not in the tournament. I have a hard time believing the committee went from having RU in their top sixteen to not in the tournament. So disappointed for the team and in the committee.
Highest RPI ranked team snubbed in history?

Last edited:
by numbers yes but no one can complain, this team tanked and thats why they were out....never should have been in the hands of the committee
Now, this makes sense and is what I've been saying. You mentioned if we had beaten Northwestern in the B1G tourney. Forget that. We choked against Iowa when we were up 9 with less than 3 minutes to go at home. We win that game and we end up 8-8 and we are dancing no matter what we did in the B1G tourney.

according to this..the womens tourney criteria IS NOT the same as mens
wff-selections-2018.png

Selection Criteria

RPI: The Rating Percentage Index is one of many factors used by NCAA sports committees when evaluating team selection, seeding and bracketing. Basic RPI consists of a team’s Division I winning percentage (25 percent weight), its opponents winning percentage (50 percent weight) and its opponents opponents’ winning percentage (25 percent weight). The RPI is one of many factors the committees use for selecting and seeding teams.

In no specific priority order, the committee considers the following criteria in the selections process:

• Ability to elevate
  • Availability of talent
  • Bad losses
  • Common opponents
  • Competitive in losses
  • Conference record
  • Early competition versus late competition
  • Head to head
  • Non-conference record
  • Overall record
  • Regional rankings
  • Relative strength of schedule
  • RPI
  • Significant wins
  • Strength of conference
  • Winnability
Team Sheets
The team sheets contain in-depth team information about strength of schedule, performance against all RPI teams and home/road records.

Seeding
The committee creates a seed list 1 through 64 -- which is used to assess competitive balance of the top teams across the four regions of this national championship. Additionally, the seed list reflects the sequential order with which teams will be placed in the bracket.

Automatic Qualifiers: A total of 32 conferences will place an automatic qualifier in the NCAA tournament field. These qualifiers are determined by conference tournaments.

At-Large: There are 32 at-large spots after the AQs. The committee selects the 32 best teams to fill the at-large berths. There is no limit on the number of at-large teams the committee may select from one conference.

Top 40 team not in the tournament is awful as Vivian nears the end of her career.

according to this..the womens tourney criteria IS NOT the same as mens
wff-selections-2018.png

Selection Criteria

RPI: The Rating Percentage Index is one of many factors used by NCAA sports committees when evaluating team selection, seeding and bracketing. Basic RPI consists of a team’s Division I winning percentage (25 percent weight), its opponents winning percentage (50 percent weight) and its opponents opponents’ winning percentage (25 percent weight). The RPI is one of many factors the committees use for selecting and seeding teams.

In no specific priority order, the committee considers the following criteria in the selections process:

• Ability to elevate
  • Availability of talent
  • Bad losses
  • Common opponents
  • Competitive in losses
  • Conference record
  • Early competition versus late competition
  • Head to head
  • Non-conference record
  • Overall record
  • Regional rankings
  • Relative strength of schedule
  • RPI
  • Significant wins
  • Strength of conference
  • Winnability
Team Sheets
The team sheets contain in-depth team information about strength of schedule, performance against all RPI teams and home/road records.

Seeding
The committee creates a seed list 1 through 64 -- which is used to assess competitive balance of the top teams across the four regions of this national championship. Additionally, the seed list reflects the sequential order with which teams will be placed in the bracket.

Automatic Qualifiers: A total of 32 conferences will place an automatic qualifier in the NCAA tournament field. These qualifiers are determined by conference tournaments.

At-Large: There are 32 at-large spots after the AQs. The committee selects the 32 best teams to fill the at-large berths. There is no limit on the number of at-large teams the committee may select from one conference.
Yes, and as we know all of this look good on paper, but when it came down to it, you had the human element in there and that took over any logic.

I would have to say the sub 500 conference mark was the nail in the coffin as it cost RU at least 5 spots if not more in the rpi as well and unlike the mens committee, the womens committee looks at conference mark

Indiana beat RU and didnt go and they finished two games ahead of RU....3-9/6-3 with a sos of 11...and they won 9 of 11 down the stretch

They showed one of the women who chooses the last 4 teams. They didn't mention Rutgers, but had us side by side with Okie. Their strength of schedule was 2 and ours was 20 (according to ESPN). But when they showed top 50 wins, we were 5-6 and they were 1-8. Unbelievable.

They showed one of the women who chooses the last 4 teams. They didn't mention Rutgers, but had us side by side with Okie. Their strength of schedule was 2 and ours was 20 (according to ESPN). But when they showed top 50 wins, we were 5-6 and they were 1-8. Unbelievable.

was waiting for a follow up question but didnt get it....OU has simply had a better tradition of late and that can also factor in if the committee cannot decide...OU also was 5 spots higher. I would have more an issue with the inclusion of Creighton than OU

was waiting for a follow up question but didnt get it....OU has simply had a better tradition of late and that can also factor in if the committee cannot decide...OU also was 5 spots higher. I would have more an issue with the inclusion of Creighton than OU
Yes, and that's where the human element came in. I don't want to believe in any conspiracy theories, but it's rather interesting how the head of the men's selection committee is the AD at Creighton, had any tacit thoughts on this even though we're talking the women's committee. Hmmm...

Reactions: Bon1674

Tradition has absolutely nothing to do with the selection process. That is an absurd statement.

Reactions: RUonBrain
I would have to say the sub 500 conference mark was the nail in the coffin as it cost RU at least 5 spots if not more in the rpi as well and unlike the mens committee, the womens committee looks at conference mark
I think you could be right, but I still think there was still some kind of bias going on. They just showed the comparison between OU and RU. The committee chair seemed to like OU's strength of schedule which was number 2. Their RPI was 35 and ours 40. The problem I had with that was that they were 1-8 against RPI top 50 while RU was 5-6. It is great to have a tough schedule, but IMO you need to win those games not just show up and play them to be considered. They were 16-14. We were 20-12.

ADVERTISEMENT