ADVERTISEMENT

Inaugural South Beach Duals?

Thoughts? Should we get in on this?

Cornell, Missouri headline the field for the inaugural South Beach Duals
http://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/PortalPost.jsp?postId=370183076

I would rather have RU stay at the Midlands or go to the Scuffle. I want our top kids getting better matches in a tournament setting. This is not a dual meet tournament, it is pre-arranged matches. We already have this at the Grapple at the Garden(south beach might be 3 or 4, but same concept). The Midlands and/or Scuffle will prepare the kids better for the big show.

I would rather have RU stay at the Midlands or go to the Scuffle. I want our top kids getting better matches in a tournament setting. This is not a dual meet tournament, it is pre-arranged matches. We already have this at the Grapple at the Garden(south beach might be 3 or 4, but same concept). The Midlands and/or Scuffle will prepare the kids better for the big show.
Speaking of which, anyone know which holiday tourney RU is wrestling at this upcoming season? We have had success at Midlands the last 2 years but wouldn't surprise me if we mix it up and go to Southern Scuffle this year.

Reactions: Abro1975
The Midlands is a Big10 Centric tourny held at Northwestern U, the best or 2nd best Holiday tournament along with the Southern Scuffle. I'd be surprised to see RU drop out of this tourny.

The Midlands is a Big10 Centric tourny held at Northwestern U, the best or 2nd best Holiday tournament along with the Southern Scuffle. I'd be surprised to see RU drop out of this tourny.
You could strongly argue that the Midlands were vital to our increasing success in the NCAAs.

I agree that we should go to Midlands or Scuffle & wish this wasn't the same weekend. It would be better the 3rd week of Nov before Thanksgiving (11/17-18) or 3rd week of Dec (12/15-16), as it wouldnt conflict with NWCA All-Star Classic (11/4), Grapple (11/26), Cliff Keen Vegas (12/1-2), Midlands (12/28-29) or Scuffle (12/31-1/1), so we could do some of them too. I look at this like college basketball's mid/late Nov holiday tourneys, such as the Maui Invitational, in that it's a warm weather vaca reward for the athletes with some good competition. The format is definitely like Grapple at the Garden, but in sunny FL, so it's warm & will be more fun. We'd get good matches if we arrange to wrestle Mizzou, Cornell, Edinboro & 1 or 2 other top teams depending on who else decides to go. I wonder why it's at St. Thomas Aquinas HS & how big their gym is, instead of at BB&T Center.

Last edited:
We need to be doing Midlands or Scuffle. Not extra dual format events.
I agree that we should do 1 of these, but, as I mentioned above, the South Beach Duals are like college basketball's mid/late Nov holiday tourneys, such as the Maui Invitational, in that it's a warm weather vaca reward for the athletes with some good competition. I hope they move the South Beach Duals to not conflict with Midlands or Scuffle, so that we can do both.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT