ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana fires Kevin Wilson

He took them to back to back bowl games, they are Indiana not Florida, there has to be something else going on.

He took them to back to back bowl games, they are Indiana not Florida, there has to be something else going on.
giphy.gif

http://www.indystar.com/story/sport...dismiss-football-coach-kevin-wilson/94744824/

They just doubled his pay a year ago:
http://www.indystar.com/story/sport...-iu-football-contract-six-year-deal/78657842/

BLOOMINGTON — Indiana’s faith in Kevin Wilson turned into a significant financial commitment to his football program Monday, when Wilson was rewarded for the Hoosiers' Pinstripe Bowl appearance with a new six-year contract.

Wilson’s contract, which runs through 2021 and will pay him $2.55 million per year, nearly doubles the $1.31 million he made in 2015, according to USA TODAY’s database of college football coaches’ salaries. According to IU athletic director Fred Glass, no other Big Ten coach save Michigan’s Jim Harbaugh has as many years on his current contract.

“I’m thrilled that we’ve come to a new agreement,” Glass told IndyStar on Monday night, adding that he thinks it “sends the right signals that we’re serious about football and serious about Kevin.”

The contract represents a significant increase in financial investment in Indiana’s football program, something Glass has consistently preached since arriving in 2009.

His new annual pay will move Wilson from 12th in the conference in yearly compensation to seventh, according to that same database. New Maryland coach DJ Durkin’s contract is expected to pay him slightly less this coming season.

Wilson is scheduled to be paid $15.3 million over the life of the contract. It will replace his old one, and is in effect immediately, according to Glass.

“Coupled with an already solid foundation, this ensures stability as we continue to build a winning program in the Big Ten East,” Wilson said in a news release. “The administration has shown a total commitment to our program development, continuity, staffing, recruiting and facilities, and has invested heavily in the development of, and experience for, our students.”

Wilson was entering the final two seasons of a seven-year contract he signed when he left his position as Oklahoma’s offensive coordinator to take the IU job in 2010. In his first five years at Indiana, Wilson posted a 20-41 record, with just eight Big Ten wins over those five seasons.

But his recruiting work surpassed anything IU coaches before him had managed in the ranking and analysis era, and as those players moved into his program, Indiana became more competitive.

The Hoosiers won five games in 2013, narrowly missing wins against Navy and Minnesota that would have earned them a bowl berth. A road win against ranked Missouri pushed expectations higher in 2014, before quarterback Nate Sudfeld’s season-ending injury derailed postseason hopes.

This fall, the Hoosiers finished their non-conference season 4-0 before losing their first six Big Ten games, including four against nationally ranked teams. Close losses to Michigan, Iowa and Ohio State left IU needing to win its final two games, at Maryland and at Purdue, to achieve the program’s first bowl berth since 2007.

Both of those wins came by multiple scores, and the Hoosiers’ 54-36 win in West Lafayette marked Indiana’s first three-game winning streak against its in-state rival since 1947.

Glass said he didn’t necessarily need December's Pinstripe Bowl appearance to be convinced of Wilson’s quality.

“The bowl was kind of gravy,” Glass said. “I felt like we really demonstrated we belonged in probably the toughest conference in college football. I’ve been a fan of continuity and making investments, and I think this contract demonstrates both of those.”

Glass added that, as part of its renewed commitment to Wilson, Indiana will invest in greater compensation for assistants.

The development of players like Sudfeld, running backs Tevin Coleman and Jordan Howard, and offensive linemen Jason Spriggs and Dan Feeney, has earned Wilson’s assistants national attention. Glass said IU would make “prudent and reasonable investments” in its football coaching staff, adding that being more competitive in attracting or retaining assistants was “important to Kevin.”

“To me, the two ways to improve Indiana football are continuity with staff and making investments — and continuing to make investments — in the program,” Glass said. “Kevin and I have had some really good conversations about that. It was very important to Kevin to continue to have more resources to invest in the program, and we are going to continue to make resources available.”

Wilson was at the American Football Coaches Association convention Monday and unavailable for further comment. He took to Twitter to express his excitement at the news, saying “It's a Gr8 Day 2 Be a Hoosier.”

An NCAA-mandated recruiting dead period lifts Thursday. Wilson and his staff can spend the next month before national signing day putting the final touches on their 2016 class with the security of a new long-term contract guaranteeing the program's direction.

The critical component here is Tom Allen. Do they figure out a way to retain him or is he gone? He turned around an annual horror show of a defense within seconds.

Kevin Johns is the OC. he's schooled in the Kevin Wilson system and has been with them for most of Wilson's time at Indiana. Knows what he's doing and also coaches the WR and QB positions.

Wonder if they give Les Miles a call? Midwestern guy with B1G roots. Indiana certainly has the money, it would be a matter of them opening their wallet of which they've usually spent on basketball as a priority

Mark Schlabach @Mark_Schlabach
9m

Former Indiana player told ESPN on Thursday that he & at least 5 other IU players interviewed about Wilson's treatment of players

According to twitter he was forcing players to play through injuries. Not Sandusky level but still bad.

Indiana has been pretty good but must be nice to finish up with Purdue at end of year. had 5 wins both years and finish with Purdue instead of Iowa for example.

People are saying the Indiana job will be more difficult to fill because of Indiana being in the same division as OSU, UM, MSU, PSU. Why don't they say it's a difficult job because the school's in the same division as RU, dammit! :mad:

Reactions: Loyal-Son
People are saying the Indiana job will be more difficult to fill because of Indiana being in the same division as OSU, UM, MSU, PSU. Why don't they say it's a difficult job because the school's in the same division as RU, dammit! :mad:
Yeah, we are 2-1 against them. Our previous coach went 1-0 twice. That should be enough for them to consider our previous coach as a serious contender.

Reactions: MJL_52
LevaosLectures said:
It's a Mike Rice type situation.
--------------------------------------------
Throwing basketballs at football players?
Maybe forcing the QB to throw footballs at the wide receivers :eek:

Seriously it makes me think that Indiana is going to try to use for cause to justify the firing and try to get out of buyout.
More than likely some kind of settlement will be made.

Fleck is a good possibility, if they have to pay Wilson off.
But Les Miles might be the one hired if Indiana thinks they won't be paying Wilson anything
Schiano might be in the mix, but the claim he saw Sandusky might keep him from the job , especially if Wilson's departure is due to treatment of players or an off field issue.

LevaosLectures said:

Seriously it makes me think that Indiana is going to try to use for cause to justify the firing and try to get out of buyout.

But Les Miles might be the one hired if Indiana thinks they won't be paying Wilson anything
Schiano might be in the mix, but the claim he saw Sandusky might keep him from the job , especially if Wilson's departure is due to treatment of players or an off field issue.
Zander Diamont's retirement may have been a precursor to Wilson's firing:
http://www.indystar.com/story/sport...t-football-after-bowl-need-my-brain/94490628/
Diamont didn't put a specific number on how many concussions he has sustained in his career but he said it's "a lot," many of which occurred in high school.

Think they will get to fire him for cause, or a negotiated buyout? Still has 5 years left on his contract.

When I saw the thread title I was like wow really, thinking they just gave him an extension, they're bowl eligible and it's later than the usual monday after the regular season when most firings take place.

But reading the thread I see it's about player safety issues and of course off the field stuff can rear its head at any time. I wonder if Zander Diamont who recently "retired" because of concussion issues was one of the players interviewed by the admin.

I would've said this could be a Fleck landing spot but Purdue is in the "easier" side of the conference.
It's early enough for them to find a replacement so don't think they have to do the interim tag for a year like Illinois did. Miles would be interesting. Would he want to go there or would he just wait even though he is eager to get back in. Maybe Willie Taggert at USF or why not even Charlie Strong if he's interested. His style of football would be more suited for the B10 than the B12, not sure how much of that Florida talent he can get up to IU though.

The critical component here is Tom Allen. Do they figure out a way to retain him or is he gone? He turned around an annual horror show of a defense within seconds.

Kevin Johns is the OC. he's schooled in the Kevin Wilson system and has been with them for most of Wilson's time at Indiana. Knows what he's doing and also coaches the WR and QB positions.
also coached in the Northeast
another coach there is Deland McCullogh who was originally from Ohio and coaches RB's and Special teams

LevaosLectures said:

Wait, Schiano saw Sandusky do what ?

ADVERTISEMENT