ADVERTISEMENT

Insiders what's up with Nick

koleszar

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jan 1, 2010
OK insiders the cats out of the bag regarding Suriano. It was in the Fat Cat Friday today. My questions:
What's the likely hood of this happening?
Will he be eligible immediately?

If this transpires this is going to be an epic year. Sorry for breaking any protocol, but at this point it's out there.

OK insiders the cats out of the bag regarding Suriano. It was in the Fat Cat Friday today. My questions:
What's the likely hood of this happening?
Will he be eligible immediately?

If this transpires this is going to be an epic year. Sorry for breaking any protocol, but at this point it's out there.
read the wrestling news thread

read the wrestling news thread
Where is the wrestling news thread ? I saw this mentioned once before but have no idea where to find it. Any help would be much appreciated.

Edit: OK finally found it, it was buried about 5 pages down and is finally back up on the 1st page. No wonder I couldn't find it. OK so for someone who doesn't want to read a 30 page thread to sum up.
Not a done deal
Lots of hoops to jump through
Could still fall apart
Basically all rumor at this point
Thanks for nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: rubigtimenow
Where is the wrestling news thread ? I saw this mentioned once before but have no idea where to find it. Any help would be much appreciated.

Edit: OK finally found it, it was buried about 5 pages down and is finally back up on the 1st page. No wonder I couldn't find it. OK so for someone who doesn't want to read a 30 page thread to sum up.
Not a done deal
Lots of hoops to jump through
Could still fall apart
Basically all rumor at this point
Thanks for nothing.
BS!! it's not just a rumor. Mods do no throw names of student athletes out there unless there is a legit chance of it happening. When Kiy Hester transferred here, the mods didn't release his name until it was. They hinted at a big transfer but didn't give a name. This is more than rumor. I'm not an insider, but this is not a rumor

BS!! it's not just a rumor. Mods do no throw names of student athletes out there unless there is a legit chance of it happening. When Kiy Hester transferred here, the mods didn't release his name until it was. They hinted at a big transfer but didn't give a name. This is more than rumor. I'm not an insider, but this is not a rumor

Not a rumor, this will all be decided by the Big10 transfer rules. If Nick does not lose a year of competition I feel very confident he will be at RU.

There is so much misinformation out there on the B1G transfer rule. It does not matter if the departing school gives a release. Cortez transferred to PSU and lost a year of eligibility. The rule is there and clear - if you transfer from one B1G school to another, you lose a year. Micic at Michigan was an exception because of the coaching change at NW. There is no such exception in Suriano's case.

Reactions: IroniaHorse
There is so much misinformation out there on the B1G transfer rule. It does not matter if the departing school gives a release. Cortez transferred to PSU and lost a year of eligibility. The rule is there and clear - if you transfer from one B1G school to another, you lose a year. Micic at Michigan was an exception because of the coaching change at NW. There is no such exception in Suriano's case.

I think everyone following this closely understands the situation with the rule. That said, Nick is clearly planning on (or already) making some case to the Big Ten for an exception, or I doubt it would have gone this far. Clearly, that is the hold up on getting news either way.

If a coaching change is an exception, then I'm sure Suriano can come up with something.

If a coaching change is an exception, then I'm sure Suriano can come up with something.
I doubt they are as serious with these exceptions in wrestling compared to say football or basketball. I've never heard of one being granted for that reason in those two. If psu agrees to a full release I'm sure they can come up with something valid.

I doubt they are as serious with these exceptions in wrestling compared to say football or basketball. I've never heard of one being granted for that reason in those two. If psu agrees to a full release I'm sure they can come up with something valid.

It was more than a coaching change at Northwestern. The coach was fired under a cloud of controversy.
Cortez just transferred from Illinois to Penn State and lost a year of competition. The Penn State release has nothing to do with the BigTen transfer rules.

From the RU website
Big Ten Intraconference Transfer Rule

Any student-athlete who has signed a financial aid agreement ("Big Ten Tender") with another Big Ten school may not represent a second Big Ten school in competition without first serving a full year-in-residence (i.e., sitting out a year). That student-athlete is also subject to the loss of one season of competition. Exceptions are granted if a student-athlete's National Letter of Intent has been declared null and void.

NOTE: The Big Ten intraconference transfer rule supersedes the NCAA transfer regulations. Therefore, student-athletes cannot utilize the NCAA transfer exceptions to avoid Big Ten transfer penalties.

http://admin.scarlet...letes-html.aspx

Reactions: matter7172
It was more than a coaching change at Northwestern. The coach was fired under a cloud of controversy.
Cortez just transferred from Illinois to Penn State and lost a year of competition. The Penn State release has nothing to do with the BigTen transfer rules.

From the RU website

Any student-athlete who has signed a financial aid agreement ("Big Ten Tender") with another Big Ten school may not represent a second Big Ten school in competition without first serving a full year-in-residence (i.e., sitting out a year). That student-athlete is also subject to the loss of one season of competition. Exceptions are granted if a student-athlete's National Letter of Intent has been declared null and void.

NOTE: The Big Ten intraconference transfer rule supersedes the NCAA transfer regulations. Therefore, student-athletes cannot utilize the NCAA transfer exceptions to avoid Big Ten transfer penalties.

So basically in your opinion it's a no go. Unless Suriano wants to lose another year of competition after losing a partial year due to injury. I can't see him wanting to do that and only have two years to potentially AA. It was a good dream, but I can't see it coming to fruition.

So basically in your opinion it's a no go. Unless Suriano wants to lose another year of competition after losing a partial yeayir due to injury. I can't see him wanting to do that and only have two years to potentially AA. It was a good dream, but I can't see it coming to fruition.

I was just wanted to point out that a Penn State release and BigTen transfer rules are separate issues(I have seen it posted multiple places, that if PSU gives a release he will not miss a year).
I agree with you that if he loses a year of competition he will not come to RU with only 2 years left.
I do believe they are checking out all their options before making their decision. Unfortunately we will just have to wait it out!!

From the RU website

Thank you. I don't understand why people have such a hard time wrapping their heads around this. This is the agreement a student-athlete makes when they sign up for a scholarship to a B1G school. Some claim it's unfair to the student-athlete, but my view is it's only unfair if they would change to this rule when you signed under a different understanding. That isn't happening here.

Cortez is a good example. Illinois's release or non-release of him was irrelevant. He lost a year of eligibility and could not wrestle in 2015-16, even though he beat Jordan Conaway in the Nittany Lion Open and might have been the 133 for PSU that year were he not barred by the B1G rule. Without some extremely and verifiable extenuating circumstances, like Micic's, B1G is not granting an exemption.

As you noted, to me the rumor and/or possibility of transfer never made sense. Nick would have to forfeit a year of eligibility and I just don't see that happening (and I don't think it's really in his best interests to forfeit a year given his very real title aspirations). I also wish Nick would announce that he is returning to PSU or transferring to a non-B1G school so all this speculation would end.

Thank you. I don't understand why people have such a hard time wrapping their heads around this. This is the agreement a student-athlete makes when they sign up for a scholarship to a B1G school. Some claim it's unfair to the student-athlete, but my view is it's only unfair if they would change to this rule when you signed under a different understanding. That isn't happening here.

Cortez is a good example. Illinois's release or non-release of him was irrelevant. He lost a year of eligibility and could not wrestle in 2015-16, even though he beat Jordan Conaway in the Nittany Lion Open and might have been the 133 for PSU that year were he not barred by the B1G rule. Without some extremely and verifiable extenuating circumstances, like Micic's, B1G is not granting an exemption.

As you noted, to me the rumor and/or possibility of transfer never made sense. Nick would have to forfeit a year of eligibility and I just don't see that happening (and I don't think it's really in his best interests to forfeit a year given his very real title aspirations). I also wish Nick would announce that he is returning to PSU or transferring to a non-B1G school so all this speculation would end.
Again, everybody gets this!! It would not have even got to this point if he wasn't applying for a hardship waiver. I am sure he is and they are waiting for the reply from the big ten. In this case you do need Cael to be in board with the hardship. If he agrees the big ten, like the NCAA, probably will approve it.

Again, everybody gets this!! It would not have even got to this point if he wasn't applying for a hardship waiver. I am sure he is and they are waiting for the reply from the big ten. In this case you do need Cael to be in board with the hardship. If he agrees the big ten, like the NCAA, probably will approve it.

So you are saying if people collude, B1G will just wink and waive their rule? Don't see that happening either. A very bad precedent would be made which would undermine their rule.

Well of course you feel this way your a psu fan. And before you start with the well any wrestler shtick, you came on here for one reason to dash anyone's hopes that Suriano might come here. You can proceed with your, you were just enlightening BS.

Well of course you feel this way your a psu fan. And before you start with the well any wrestler shtick, you came on here for one reason to dash anyone's hopes that Suriano might come here. You can proceed with your, you were just enlightening BS.

If he is legitimately unhappy at PSU, I guess he will leave. Penn State will survive. That doesn't change the fact that the odds of him transferring to another B1G school (Rutgers, Northwestern, Maryland, Iowa or anyone else) are stacked heavily to the "no" side. Oklahoma (Guerrero's hiring is interesting), Oklahoma State, Missouri, Iowa State, Cornell, Missouri, Rider, Lehigh, Pitt, North Carolina State, Va. Tech - pick a school outside the B1G - all make more sense than a B1G school.

Reactions: JBott
I am not saying people are colluding. This is the way hardship transfers work in all sports. I am sure he has a hardship. It is up to the big ten to determine if it warrants an exception. Any school is more likely to get a hardship waiver from the NCAA or from the big ten school if the coach from the original school supports the hardship claim. I have no idea what the hardship is or the reason for applying for the exception. I am saying they are going for one so there must be something.

what "point' has this gotten too? nothing but rumors and some people getting carried away with those rumors.

I am not saying people are colluding. This is the way hardship transfers work in all sports. I am sure he has a hardship. It is up to the big ten to determine if it warrants an exception. Any school is more likely to get a hardship waiver from the NCAA or from the big ten school if the coach from the original school supports the hardship claim. I have no idea what the hardship is or the reason for applying for the exception. I am saying they are going for one so there must be something.
maybe there is no hardship?..maybe they haven't applied for a waiver,and its just wishfull thinking?

Reactions: PSUer1989
maybe there is no hardship?..maybe they haven't applied for a waiver,and its just wishfull thinking?
I am going off what I read here and what the mods said in the fat cat on Friday. They are very conservative about these things so I am going with what they say.

From the RU website

Penn State fan chiming in here to note that I explored this same question in a post on BWT [here], and I don't think it's that B1G rules supersede NCAA rules because the rules don't actually conflict (and for obvious reasons can't conflict)--they penalize different aspects of the same event. In a Venn diagram, the B1G transfer rule would sit entirely within the NCAA circle.

Shorter version of my post is that (1) the NCAA penalizes transferees with a loss of scholarship year if they transfer to any other D1 school (regardless of conference) w/o having first obtained a permission to contact letter and obtained a release; (2) B1G penalizes matriculated intra-conference transferees with a loss of competition eligibility.

Important to realize that the B1G rule isn't waivable by the outgoing school--there's no "release" Penn State could grant Suriano that gets him around the B1G rule. The "release" only applies to the NCAA rule, and so would only save his scholarship dollars in the following year.

Whether there's any grey area to circumvent the B1G rule is entirely unclear, and perhaps why this situation is dragging out, as the parties don't have much guidance. There's no explicit criteria in the rules that would enable us to connect the dots as to why Micic was permitted an exception, but it also wasn't hard to infer that his situation was somewhat unique given the sudden coaching change, a factor that's not really present with respect to Suriano.

So I figured I'd post given how I keep seeing people everywhere suggest that this all hangs on Nick getting a release. While a release would still be required to save scholarship money into next year, there's no release that PSU could grant that would prevent the loss of a year of competition eligibility, and I imagine that would be the bigger sticking point.

Penn State fan chiming in here to note that I explored this same question in a post on BWT [here], and I don't think it's that B1G rules supersede NCAA rules because the rules don't actually conflict (and for obvious reasons can't conflict)--they penalize different aspects of the same event. In a Venn diagram, the B1G transfer rule would sit entirely within the NCAA circle.

Shorter version of my post is that (1) the NCAA penalizes transferees with a loss of scholarship year if they transfer to any other D1 school (regardless of conference) w/o having first obtained a permission to contact letter and obtained a release; (2) B1G penalizes matriculated intra-conference transferees with a loss of competition eligibility.

Important to realize that the B1G rule isn't waivable by the outgoing school--there's no "release" Penn State could grant Suriano that gets him around the B1G rule. The "release" only applies to the NCAA rule, and so would only save his scholarship dollars in the following year.

Whether there's any grey area to circumvent the B1G rule is entirely unclear, and perhaps why this situation is dragging out, as the parties don't have much guidance. There's no explicit criteria in the rules that would enable us to connect the dots as to why Micic was permitted an exception, but it also wasn't hard to infer that his situation was somewhat unique given the sudden coaching change, a factor that's not really present with respect to Suriano.

So I figured I'd post given how I keep seeing people everywhere suggest that this all hangs on Nick getting a release. While a release would still be required to save scholarship money into next year, there's no release that PSU could grant that would prevent the loss of a year of competition eligibility, and I imagine that would be the bigger sticking point.

The NCAA does NOT penalize wrestlers for transferring in D1. Only Football, Basketball and for some unknown to me reason, baseball.

Soriano would be completely free to transfer to any other conference without having to sit out a year. The Big10 put in its own harsher rule for transferring within the Big10.

The NCAA does NOT penalize wrestlers for transferring in D1. Only Football, Basketball and for some unknown to me reason, baseball.

Soriano would be completely free to transfer to any other conference without having to sit out a year. The Big10 put in its own harsher rule for transferring within the Big10.

Only if Penn State grants his release. If not he must sit.

Pretty sure Even IF Penn St grants his release, Big10 rule would prohibit NS from wrestling this year at any Big10 school.

Release is relevant to NCAA rule, and allows the player to transfer without having to sit (for football, basketball and baseball). For other sports, transfers are eligible immediately. Release has no bearing on Big Ten inter-conference rule.

Big 10 inter-conference transfer rule is loss of a competition year. Period. That's it. So the question becomes whether there is a sufficient reason the athlete can raise that will result in the Big Ten waiving application of that rule. There are scant few cases of that having happened.

EDITED TO ADD:

If this rumor is real, there will be one of THREE outcomes.

1. IF PSU does not grant release, and Big Ten transfer rule applies: Nick will redshirt this year, and lose a year to compete, giving him 2 years left to wrestle 2
- OR -
2. If PSU does not grant a release, but Nick get an exception from the Big Ten waiving the Big Ten transfer rule: Nick will have to redshirt this year, and will then have 3 years left to wrestle 3
-OR-
3. If PSU grants release and BIg Ten waives application of BIg Ten transfer rule: Nick Will have 4 years left to wrestle 3, and will be eligible to compete immediately.

Thats it.

Last edited:
Pretty sure Even IF Penn St grants his release, Big10 rule would prohibit NS from wrestling this year at any Big10 school.

I know, you said the NCAA does not penalize a wrestler for transferring in D1. And he could transfer to a NON Big10 school and wrestle right away without sitting out.
That is only true if Penn State gives him a release. If they do not give him a release he must sit out next season(and he cannot get any scholly money during the year).

The NCAA transfer rules still require the letter to contact and the release regardless of sport and failure to do so results in the loss of an academic scholarship for one year.

If your current school does not provide the permission-to-contact letter, your new school cannot contact you. You may still transfer to your new school, but you will not be eligible for an athletics scholarship until you have attended your new school for one academic year.

The NCAA rule to which you're referring (penalizing certain sports but not wrestling) applies only to the question of how soon after transferring the transferee can compete. But failing to get the release would still result in a loss of scholarship dollars, regardless of where Nick went.

Acknowledging my responses are not real-time to the posts, but again...

There can not be an application for waiver until there is a transfer. So no. Nobody is waiting on a waiver ruling.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT