ADVERTISEMENT

interesting article on JUCO transfer choosing between RU, MSU & UAB

RutgersROB

All Conference
Oct 8, 2011
he announced his commitment to Michigan State yesterday but today this article came out:

Clarification on JUCO RB Kevin Momnohin and Michigan State

Kevin Momnohin, a running back at Scottsdale C.C. (Ariz.), announced on Twitter yesterday that he committed to Michigan State as a preferred walk-on candidate. I've been told the MSU staff doesn't consider Momnohin as a preferred walk-on player.

The 5-foot-9, 201-pound Momnohin was accepted into Michigan State University yesterday. Momnohin plans to enroll at Michigan State in May when MSU's summer one semester starts. The Michigan State staff said that they would allow him to try out for the football team.

Momnohin does have an offer from UAB. The New Jersey Native has also been offered a preferred walk-on spot at Rutgers. Momnohin is not currently committed to Michigan State.

so basically he is choosing out of state tuition at Michigan State where he can try out and possibly not make the team, in state tuition and be on the team as a pwo, or full ride to University of Alabama Birmingham...

interesting to say the least

http://michiganstate.247sports.com/...hin-a-running-back-at-Scottsdale-CC--50680556

IMHO: CLEAR case of a kid who is "enamored" with the possibility of glory at a "name" school. Let's see what happens when mommy and daddy say "uhm, son, we're not paying that bill IF you can get a full ride at UAB OR stay home on the cheap and have a better shot at a schollie next season."

he announced his commitment to Michigan State yesterday but today this article came out:

Clarification on JUCO RB Kevin Momnohin and Michigan State

Kevin Momnohin, a running back at Scottsdale C.C. (Ariz.), announced on Twitter yesterday that he committed to Michigan State as a preferred walk-on candidate. I've been told the MSU staff doesn't consider Momnohin as a preferred walk-on player.

The 5-foot-9, 201-pound Momnohin was accepted into Michigan State University yesterday. Momnohin plans to enroll at Michigan State in May when MSU's summer one semester starts. The Michigan State staff said that they would allow him to try out for the football team.

Momnohin does have an offer from UAB. The New Jersey Native has also been offered a preferred walk-on spot at Rutgers. Momnohin is not currently committed to Michigan State.

so basically he is choosing out of state tuition at Michigan State where he can try out and possibly not make the team, in state tuition and be on the team as a pwo, or full ride to University of Alabama Birmingham...

interesting to say the least

http://michiganstate.247sports.com/...hin-a-running-back-at-Scottsdale-CC--50680556
Think some kids must have teased him as a kid or something. He is obviously avoiding NJ area.

J.J. Watt left a scholarship at Central Michigan to walk onto Wisconsin. But not everybody's J.J. Watt. He should really take the scholarship at UAB or in the very least come to Rutgers. This kid is one of those kids who ran for a billion yards in high school because he played for a Group 1 school so he thinks he's better than he really is. Unless there's an academic reason to go to Michigan State, I don't think it's a good decision.

As a "regular" walk on at MSU, he would be unable to participate in August workouts. He could only join the team after classes have begun.

In order to qualify as a regular walk on (meaning you don't count against the 105 total limit), there are limits as to the amount of permissible recruiting contact. I assume those limits have not been exceeded, but who knows.

The upside of being a regular walk on is that for financial aid purposes you are pretty much treated as any other student. Whereas for PWOs, there are restrictions on the types of aid they can receive.

I dont normally pass along info from the RT, but the Mods said that RU wasn't really an option for him / there was no 'slot' for him to take

so take that FWIW before the cray crays start chiming in...

Don't most schools allow their walk on athletes in all sports just pay in state tuition? Maybe they aren't allowed to do that any more but I know they used to and maybe still do.

Curious decision making - especially for someone who has had a full dose of the realities of having to go the Junior College route.
With two years left to play, and mild - not monumental - interest from Major programs -why,why would you elect to skip a scholarship, and be a pure basic "walk-on" (not a PWO) with no assurance of making the team ?
He may be brimming with confidence - but he has certainly selected a path to getting extensive playing time on a D1 team- with possibly the most amount of obstacles and challenges.

Don't most schools allow their walk on athletes in all sports just pay in state tuition? Maybe they aren't allowed to do that any more but I know they used to and maybe still do.
Meaning an out-of-state PWO pays in-state tuition? I don't think that is allowable but who knows. Pretty sure that under NCAA rules, the only aid that a PWO is allowed must be academic-based. Otherwise you can see how the 85 ship limit could effectively become a 105 ship limit.

Meaning an out-of-state PWO pays in-state tuition? I don't think that is allowable but who knows. Pretty sure that under NCAA rules, the only aid that a PWO is allowed must be academic-based. Otherwise you can see how the 85 ship limit could effectively become a 105 ship limit.

Yes, out of state PWO paying in state costs. It is allowed in finding and done by a lot of schools.

I don't think any walk on can get any aid even academic or it counts against the 85.

- or "need based" - ?? not sure how the "need" criteria lines are scrutinized & enforced in the case of PWO's at all institutions - obviously they can't be blatantly abused - but if there is room for individual assessments & consideration ....certain PWO's can be seen as amazingly 'needy'

Additional note - looked it up - seems the key distinction is whether the athlete was officially "recruited" - if the school carefully managed the interactions (no in person off-campus contact with a coach, no "official" paid visit, no formal written offer) then academic & need awards are OK - but if kid was pursued like a highly desired key prospect, with official paid visit, you can't then slip him by as a PWO & cover his costs via need & academic scholarships.

Last edited:
Unless I am mistaken, once need-based aid is given to a PWO, he counts against the 85 limit, meaning he is no longer a PWO. From an aid standpoint, that's the major difference between preferred and regular walk-ons.

See the addition to my comment above - the distinctions are a bit convoluted
- reasonably explained here:
http://www.athleticscholarships.net/2012/07/25/schools-flexible-scholarship-limits-athletes-aid.htm
Good find. The following is excerpted from the article, the bolding is mine:

If an athlete is recruited and plays football or basketball, he or she may not receive institutional financial aid without becoming a counter and counting against the scholarship limits. Outside aid like federal Pell grants or state grants would be allowed, but the athlete could not receive any of the need and even academic aid a school offers.

So if the above is accurate, the rules are even more restrictive than I thought. The school can't offer a PWO anything other than whatever federal/state aid may be available. Zip zilch nada.

Good find. The following is excerpted from the article, the bolding is mine:

If an athlete is recruited and plays football or basketball, he or she may not receive institutional financial aid without becoming a counter and counting against the scholarship limits. Outside aid like federal Pell grants or state grants would be allowed, but the athlete could not receive any of the need and even academic aid a school offers.

So if the above is accurate, the rules are even more restrictive than I thought. The school can't offer a PWO anything other than whatever federal/state aid may be available. Zip zilch nada.

- Ah but remember that term "If an athlete is recruited " and the very precise NCAA definition of 'recruited' ... in which case it is possible (but really unlikely) to have some phenomenal athlete with off the charts GPA & SATs - who never had an off-campus meeting with a coach ... drove himself to campus for a totally 'un-official ' visit & bought all his own food... never got any written 'offers' - but is invited to be a PWO - it appears that a kid like this can get an academic full ride without being a "counter"

As a "regular" walk on at MSU, he would be unable to participate in August workouts. He could only join the team after classes have begun.

In order to qualify as a regular walk on (meaning you don't count against the 105 total limit), there are limits as to the amount of permissible recruiting contact. I assume those limits have not been exceeded, but who knows.

The upside of being a regular walk on is that for financial aid purposes you are pretty much treated as any other student. Whereas for PWOs, there are restrictions on the types of aid they can receive.
So there are 85 scholarship players, up to 20 PWOs, and then however many walk-ons after that?

So there are 85 scholarship players, up to 20 PWOs, and then however many walk-ons after that?
I don't think there is any limit.

Also to clarify my prior statement, there is no limit on PWOs per se. But there is a limit on the number of players you can bring to preseason camp - 105. So if you only have 80 players on scholarship, you can have 25 PWOs.

Reactions: drewbagel423
He's getting some bad advice. He needs to just go to UAB. It's not P5 but it's D1 ball on a full scholarship.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
ADVERTISEMENT