ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting comment from Alexis Morris...

sammybb

All Conference
Jul 25, 2001
From The Next:

Morris finished her five-year NCAA career under Mulkey at LSU, but she said the year she spent playing for C. Vivian Stringer at Rutgers’ gave her the best look at a pro offense — moving quickly and constantly.
“At LSU, the offense can get really stagnant sometimes and it’s just very different from what we’re doing here in the pros,” Morris said.

Wow, just wow.
That's a nice complement Morris gave
Thanks for sharing

From The Next:

Morris finished her five-year NCAA career under Mulkey at LSU, but she said the year she spent playing for C. Vivian Stringer at Rutgers’ gave her the best look at a pro offense — moving quickly and constantly.
“At LSU, the offense can get really stagnant sometimes and it’s just very different from what we’re doing here in the pros,” Morris said.

Yes, I found that to be very interesting also, along with the responses of Kahleah and Chelsea to the A.Morris comments.

These comments followed Deverieux Peters' (Notre Dame alum under Muffet) comments in a twitter thread about Morris' comments.

Thinking back on CVS years, especially the latter half, when she didn't always have elite talent, or deeply talented rosters, we always complained about the offense and the turnovers before getting a shot, etc. Her teams often struggled to execute the offense smoothly............unless, they had been in it for 2 1/2 - 3 years.

When she had a group or at least a core of the team stay together for at least that time period , they were highly efficient offensively. Betnijah, Kahleah, Tyler's group. Those teams were starting to score in the 80s, causing people to take note of the unusual,...a high-scoring CVS team. They were definitely an NCAA deep run tourney team. They were a 20+win team that year and got snubbed.....only to go on to win the WNIT Tourney that year. Arella's teams, ...same thing. KK, at the point, was robotic her first three years and smooth, instinctive, and efficient her final year. Same for Jordan in the post.

I was guilty too, wanting a "better" offense. Guess, it turns out that while we were sometimes cringing at some of the offensive play, the players were going through the growing pains that would help afford them the chance to continue in this game in some capacity, if they so desired.

I can't help but think of .........(this is the last time I mention it, I promise)........
"Details". The RUWBB preseason preview video of the first practices when Diamond joined the program. She stated, ....CVS is big on "details".

Last edited:
There was never any doubt that Vivian prepared players for the pros. It was commented on by many, including Pat Coyle in her Liberty days. It got a lot of players looks, even when they didn't make it.

Viv's offense was always based on reads, and I often thought that Viv and the players just didn't see the same things. Someone who knew a great deal about CVS's game plans pointed out that in one NCAA loss, the Rutgers point guard often had 2 options and for whatever reason - what she perceived, her personal game, who knows - consistently picked the "wrong" options. Or so this former coach said.

Oddly enough, there were plays in Viv's offense that were beautiful when executed, but they so often weren't. I also always fully understood that the goal was not scoring, but limiting the opponents scoring. Offense wins fans but defense wins games.

Morris was waived by Conn. Sun today. Quite the quick visit.
Wish her well and hope she finds a good place to play overseas.
Before this thread was started, might not have cared one bit about her future in basketball.
But after reading what she said, hope she finds basketball and personal happiness

ADVERTISEMENT