ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting/odd things you have seen at Rutgers stadium

Got the turf right. It was facilities maintenance that screwed it up. Story I heard from a reliable source was Turf consultant told the maintenance crew to roll the field. He came back to the guys using a steamroller. Compacted the roots, sand base and multilevel drainage system. Made it the consistency of cement.

Was always amazed that the same crew that mowed Voorhees mall mowed the sports fields. they didn't have a separate crew until this happened.
Didn't know that. Very interesting back-story.

Reactions: RUnTeX
I think one time someone in the band jumped the fence and fought the other team mascot?
There was another time someone jumped the fence and then waved a flag in the endzone (not sure if it was a rutgers flag or opponents) and he eluded security across the field and i think he finally got nabbed by the old cannon hill

Anyone that remembers better please chime in
i remember a drunk guy avoiding security and taking off from the old student section across the field to the grassy hill. I remember he stood on the hill in the south end zone and taunted security . It seemed like they gave up and he was gonna just have to scale a fence on river road to get away . But he didn’t and they eventually got him . This was a night game in the late 1990s and our team was horrible

That is one fanbase I had higher expectations of. They are the most classless and least knowledgable of any fanbase that has entered Rutgers Stadium outside of UCONN and Syracuse.
I felt that way about Wisky as it's a school and program I'd like us aspire to be.

Maybe it was just the group(s) around me, as I get visitors almost every game, but they were not what I expected. Not at all.

Oddest thing was the yellow lot stripper / go -go dancer that was hired and was dancing at a cold October tailgate in what is now the yellow lot in the late 80's or early 90's. The guys had set up a plywood dance floor and had generators and stereo systems for music ( which was more uncommon at the time) . Big tarps blocked off sections and people were crowded around and standing on tops of cars to see. It was quite a site. The RU cops on horseback arrived to break it all up. It was a wild scene with mobs of people trying to crowd around and see what was going on. Cant say I have seen anything close to that at a tailgate since then
i recall that tailgate, epic! Thats when "I saw" lots of people doing blow over in the woods by the alumni pool

Reactions: Plum Street
Haven't seen this mentioned yet - how about after the 2003 Syracuse game (last game of the year), when one of the Syracuse players went up into the stands chasing after what must have been an 11 or 12 year old kid and his even younger brother that were talking trash.

Also, the 2002 game vs. Army (our only win that year) - I think sometime in the 2nd quarter, the stands were cleared and the game delayed at least an hour thanks to lightning (detected on the then new "Thor Guard" lightning detection system at the Golf Course).

I remember that game and incident, very sad. That was a different time. I remember bringing in a 32 oz or 64 oz thermos of vodka and OJ—it was a bit more lax then.
You could leave and re-enter as much as you wanted to. Go back to the tailgate. Slam a few. Stick one or two in your pockets. Its amazing that Rutgers made any money at all selling beer.

They must have misplaced their Notre Dame sweatshirts!!!
More like Boston College (same colors).

Up here in Bergen, seeing old guys wearing BC, Bosco and SJR clothes is common place. We are proud of our parochials and sports teams. I did laugh at these games because the Bergen Catholic crowd would always make fun Rutgers when I attended a game there. They were only there to support Nunzio (and not Rutgers).

2 out of 3 for me as well. Missed Temple. I was at Army but not on the TD Club bus. Best tailgate of all time for my group was the WVU blizzard game.

We were at the Blizzard game. And the Army game but thankfully not on the historic bus. Coldest I ever was was when we walked back from the stadium to parking and then directly to the hotel bed to try and warm up. I felt cold for days afterward.

Reactions: cicero grimes
That is one fanbase I had higher expectations of. They are the most classless and least knowledgable of any fanbase that has entered Rutgers Stadium outside of UCONN and Syracuse.

They're the NY Yankees / Dallas Cowboys of modern CFB.

Haven't seen this mentioned yet - how about after the 2003 Syracuse game (last game of the year), when one of the Syracuse players went up into the stands chasing after what must have been an 11 or 12 year old kid and his even younger brother that were talking trash.

Also, the 2002 game vs. Army (our only win that year) - I think sometime in the 2nd quarter, the stands were cleared and the game delayed at least an hour thanks to lightning (detected on the then new "Thor Guard" lightning detection system at the Golf Course).
Yes ! Rich scanlon . He went to Bergen Catholic. Big time steroid guy. It was no secret and you saw it on display that day.
Scanlon the roid rager

Reactions: RU-AGK
The looks on the faces of Arkansas fans when they lost to us was great! I sat in the section next to their fans and one guy was chirping the whole game about how great the SEC was.

Yeah a couple of guys down there got unfriendly real quick there at the end.

That is no joke.

One time he came up to the Upper Deck with the wind blowing (strongly) the other way and we could still smell him. I sit right by the tunnels to get out and he came out of the next one over. It was powerful. 🤢
What happened to him?

1. Nova game 05 cannon goes off our guy 1-2 yards short of endzone

2. New Hampshire 04 - older couple mortified were drinking pocket beers in 128. Called security immediately

3. Cuse 03 w the wind - couple of girls doing honkers in the bathroom near 126, people walk by like nothing is happening (myself included)

4. Miami 94- chants of Jones cant dance reign down from 125. End of game he serenades the crowd w double middle fingers and the first time I’ve ever seen the DX “suck it” motion

1. Nova game 05 cannon goes off our guy 1-2 yards short of endzone

2. New Hampshire 04 - older couple mortified were drinking pocket beers in 128. Called security immediately

3. Cuse 03 w the wind - couple of girls doing honkers in the bathroom near 126, people walk by like nothing is happening (myself included)

4. Miami 94- chants of Jones cant dance reign down from 125. End of game he serenades the crowd w double middle fingers and the first time I’ve ever seen the DX “suck it” motion
What are honkers?

Reactions: Friend of 112

I thought it was actually during the game, happened just a few rows in front of us, couldn't believe what I was seeing. And it was some young kid for sure. Crazy scene.

Fence collapsing as students were hamming it up for the camera.

Horse drawing a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty

The incredible number of people that claim to have been to both the infamous Temple game and WVU game in horrific weather conditions.
The Horse penalty was in Giants Stadium vs Army

The fence collapse was 1994 vs Miami. We had kicked a field goal to go up 3-0 and the students were leaning over for the camera (I knew most of them as they were Cook students like me) They said later, they were so freaked out by the rail giving way they thought they were going to get kicked out

The whole bottle cap thing still gets me to this day. I forget which game it was exactly, but remember ordering a half dozen water bottles for our section at the concession stand. It was during a afternoon game in heat wave conditions. I'll never forget the look I gave the counter person as she proceeded to take the caps off all six bottles.
I started bringing my own caps and as they take them off, I put them on. Nothing in the rules says I can't bring them in. Always get a look of disbelief from the concession workers.

Reactions: RW90
Porta-potties in a stadium concourse. 🙄
Technically not in the stadium but after a game where I was in the stadium with the EMS crew. It was a hot and sunny game day early in the season. We get a call from dispatch about a vague need to respond to the Blue Lot for two patients. We were the closest unit, and the team had left the field, so we head over thinking maybe a fan had over indulged.

We get to the Lot which is about half full with post game tailgaters and there are some cops around a Port-a -Pottie on it's side. There are two very bedraggled people standing with them. Seems this guy and girl entered the Johnny-on-the Spot simultaneously. Whatever the two of them were doing in there caused enough noise and activity to attract attention. Or maybe they just held up the line?

Seems the bystanders thought it would be hilarious (and maybe it was) to tip over the mobile loo. Oh, and they put a stick through the lock hasp to delay any exit from the pot-a-squat. Well, you can imagine how full a post game throne-to-go would be, and these two were now covered in the contents of the temporary cesspool.

We gave them some towels to wipe off and offered to take them to the hospital if they wanted. They didn't, but asked what are they going to do? Well, it wasn't protocol or anything, but we offered to give them a ride to our nearby station where they could use the shower. They accepted and we put some towels down on the Naugahyde bench seat and brought them over. Yes, the smell was as bad as you can image.

No good deed...

After they cleaned up they started getting demanding. We needed to find them dry clothes. We needed to give them a ride home. The University was responsible for their predicament and would have to make restitution.

I called over to the cop shop and asked them to send a constable around to exit these guests who were overstaying their welcome.

The officer arrives, and yes, he had already been introduced at the overturned scene of the crime if you will. He tells them you can leave now or I give you a ride to the station and you can sit in the lock-up for a few hours. They say "What for? " He says, "I'll figure something out - maybe destruction of property." They sputtered in protest and exasperation. He just says "Stop. Make up your mind, that's the choice."

With that, they exit our station and stagger back in the direction of the Blue Lot.

they were so freaked out by the rail giving way they thought they were going to get kicked out

Agree for a few moments immediately after and while we were helping boost each other up to climb back into the stands, I thought we might get booted out of the game.

Myself and a few others in that larger pack of students were CoE and RC. I likely wouldn't have known the CC guys but we must have been next to them.

Last edited:
It would likely look odd today, but when I was an undergrad (1960 through 1963 football seasons), we would usually wear a jacket and tie to RU football games, especially if we had a date.

Reactions: GORU2014
I was so angry they did that - took away something that was working to our advantage. My wife was just angry we were still there, lol - she had stepped in a huge puddle and soaked one foot on the walk to the stadium, and hasn't come to a game with me in any kind of weather since.
The Field was working just FINE for RU. Then some IDIOT decided to clear the Field. What would have been a well remembered testimonial game to ERIC, wound up as another loss to WVa.

2006 Louisville game. Brawl broke out about half way up a 2nd deck section. One poor guy trying to get out of the way took one to the nose. Pretty bloody. The people behind us had 2 younger children with them. Thinking quickly my son jumped up and put himself between the brawlers and the young ones till we could get them out of harms way.

1-I think we were playing Miami and we lost the toss and started the game with an onside kick.

2-Lots of fans wearing paper bags over their heads that said "Doug Must Go"

I can honestly say I was there for both AND on the "right" (which means the WRONG - lol) TD Club bus for the infamous Army game at West Point.

I wonder how many can claim that trifecta?
I was there for both games and I got on the wrong TD Club bus for the RU vs Notre Dame bowl game. I thought the bus was at the yellow lot at the stadium but it was the yellow lot act the RAC. Fortunately I met up with a RU fan that gave me a ride home.

Last edited:
Before the most recent stadium extension and the teams switching sides. Miami had a little DB named Brooks.

the fans behind us in section 125 started a chant that wound up going pretty wide throughout the stadium that;

Brooks Can’t Read…Brooks can’t Read…Brooks can’t Read….

It was a classic.

The gangsters on the Miami team loved it and were brutalizing Brooks.

Scanlon

Roid head asshole

the punt that went nowhere and resulted in us winning that game is a great story.

And Dax Strohneyer’s effort in that game. He pretty much single handedly beat Cuse.

Reactions: Mike from MD
On October 2, 1948, Rutgers defeated Colgate 34-19. The October 5 Targum stated that during the game, “… two Navy Corsairs zoomed in for attention and got it as they dived toward the Stadium, nosed-up, rolled over twice and flew off only to whirl around and roar overhead again.”

Remember when Rutgers Stadium was Home to a pro soccer team with a world famous coach—New Jersey Americans of the American Soccer League, coaches by Eddie Firmani.

ADVERTISEMENT