ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting/odd things you have seen at Rutgers stadium

Scott1766

Redshirt
Gold Member
Dec 21, 2016
I was thinking about some of the odd things that I've seen or experienced at Rutgers stadium over the years and I'm sure others have some interesting stories. Here are a couple for me...

In the early days of the new stadium they used to have a skydiver land on the field and deliver the game ball. One time it must have been windy and the guy came in hot and was heading fast towards the closed end of the end zone stands. At the last second he did a hard u-turn to avoid crashing into the stands. Unfortunately he hit the ground hard at about a 45 degree angle and I belive he broke his leg. Ouch.

Another time my dad and I were going to walk up the ramp to get to the upper deck to say hi to my brother. I noticed that there was a golf cart blocking the entrance to the ramp. I thought it was odd but I walked right past the cart and the security guy sitting in it. About half way up the ramp I notice two state troopers looking at us. I turn around and a frail looking governor Corzine was walking up the ramp behind us (post car accident). I sheepishly said sorry to the troopers who smiled and waved us on. Whoopsies.

Who has some stories to share?

Reactions: milktruck
I was thinking about some of the odd things that I've seen or experienced at Rutgers stadium over the years and I'm sure others have some interesting stories. Here are a couple for me...

In the early days of the new stadium they used to have a skydiver land on the field and deliver the game ball. One time it must have been windy and the guy came in hot and was heading fast towards the closed end of the end zone stands. At the last second he did a hard u-turn to avoid crashing into the stands. Unfortunately he hit the ground hard at about a 45 degree angle and I belive he broke his leg. Ouch.

Another time my dad and I were going to walk up the ramp to get to the upper deck to say hi to my brother. I noticed that there was a golf cart blocking the entrance to the ramp. I thought it was odd but I walked right past the cart and the security guy sitting in it. About half way up the ramp I notice two state troopers looking at us. I turn around and a frail looking governor Corzine was walking up the ramp behind us (post car accident). I sheepishly said sorry to the troopers who smiled and waved us on. Whoopsies.

Who has some stories to share?
Thanks for the memory....I forgot all about that skydiver breaking his leg. I seem to remember that being the opening of the infamous VT game...anyone know?

A rail collapsed in the old student student section in the 90s.

The constant booing of LJ smith on the knights in NFL segment.

The amount of Ray rice jersey’s female fans were wearing soon after the elevator incident.

The amount of sherriff’s officers patrolling the lots like they’re about to raid the drug kingpin of New Brunswick’s stash house.

Punting on third down during shea era.

Not blitzing a one legged Louisville quarterback.

When I first saw stadium pictures in the early 1990s when it was built, I was surprised there were no actual seats in the stadium. All benches was disappointing for a fanbase that was used to the comforts of giants stadium seats . Just seemed overly cheap to do this.

Reactions: BillyC80 and beaced

The constant booing of LJ smith on the knights in NFL segment.

The amount of Ray rice jersey’s female fans were wearing soon after the elevator incident.

The amount of sherriff’s officers patrolling the lots like they’re about to raid the drug kingpin of New Brunswick’s stash house.

Punting on third down during shea era.

Not blitzing a one legged Louisville quarterback.

When I first saw stadium pictures in the early 1990s when it was built, I was surprised there were no actual seats in the stadium. All benches was disappointing for a fanbase that was used to the comforts of giants stadium seats . Just seemed overly cheap to do this.

The booing of former players because of their NFL team is asinine

First game in the new stadium, 1994. My wife was 8 months pregnant. We sat down in our seats, leaned back, and the whole bench went backward....we looked up and saw our feet! The bench hadn't been bolted in.. The yellow jacket ushers came running and helped us up and moved our seats for that game. Needless to say we were very careful when we sat down next game.

My wife was fine, by the way, just surprised.

First game in the new stadium, 1994. My wife was 8 months pregnant. We sat down in our seats, leaned back, and the whole bench went backward....we looked up and saw our feet! The bench hadn't been bolted in.. The yellow jacket ushers came running and helped us up and moved our seats for that game. Needless to say we were very careful when we sat down next game.

Maybe if she was only three months pregnant it would not have happened
😉

Reactions: 4IUSox2
Fence collapsing as students were hamming it up for the camera.

Horse drawing a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty

The incredible number of people that claim to have been to both the infamous Temple game and WVU game in horrific weather conditions.

Oddest thing was the yellow lot stripper / go -go dancer that was hired and was dancing at a cold October tailgate in what is now the yellow lot in the late 80's or early 90's. The guys had set up a plywood dance floor and had generators and stereo systems for music ( which was more uncommon at the time) . Big tarps blocked off sections and people were crowded around and standing on tops of cars to see. It was quite a site. The RU cops on horseback arrived to break it all up. It was a wild scene with mobs of people trying to crowd around and see what was going on. Cant say I have seen anything close to that at a tailgate since then

Last edited:
Yep, recall that all too well. North endzone student section in 1994, first year of the reconstructed Rutgers Stadium. IIRC, after kicking a field goal to go up 3-0 on Miami on their first ever visit to Piscataway, my friends and I were leaning against the fence to get into the TV broadcast camera shot of celebrating the early lead and next thing we know the chain link fence gives way and we all tumble down onto the field.

Reactions: Plum Street
The whole bottle cap thing still gets me to this day. I forget which game it was exactly, but remember ordering a half dozen water bottles for our section at the concession stand. It was during a afternoon game in heat wave conditions. I'll never forget the look I gave the counter person as she proceeded to take the caps off all six bottles.

The contractors were clearly in a rush to get the stadium opened on time for the Kent St game and apparently cut corners and missed things like not bolting in a bench. The fence posts for the section that collapsed along the bottom of the north endzone were found to be not set deep enough in the concrete. Shoddy workmanship all around it seems.

Reactions: Local Shill
During an early Sept game in the Flood era my wife became overheated and was brought to the Medical services trailer behind the South stands. When she entered the medical trailer there sat the Scarlet Knight mascot, helmet off, receiving iv to recover from the heat. He said that his horse wasn’t feeling well that day either. It was a hot one that day.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
Visions of the urinal troughs still haunt me
Was in there,at the troughs,when two young ladies(?) came in claiming their facilities were overcrowded and needed to tinkle. It took many shouts, of bringing the cops in, before they left.Were probably buzzed.

Reactions: wheezer
In the mid-1990s an unmarked plane buzzed the stadium a couple of times during a game in the early evening hours.

The kid who didn't know that it was a 40 foot drop between the end of the Southeast side of the Stadium and the grassy hill where many would watch the game. He ended up paralyzed and died some years later IIRC. Back then they sold beers at the concessions. That ended alcohol sales for nearly 40 years at Rutgers Stadium

Another bizarre scene from Rutgers Stadium: watching a snowplow plow the field at halftime. I understand this happens before games when there has been a major snowfall, but never expected to see a zamboni at halftime at a college football game.

Another bizarre scene from Rutgers Stadium: watching a snowplow plow the field at halftime. I understand this happens before games when there has been a major snowfall, but never expected to see a zamboni at halftime at a college football game.

I was so angry they did that - took away something that was working to our advantage. My wife was just angry we were still there, lol - she had stepped in a huge puddle and soaked one foot on the walk to the stadium, and hasn't come to a game with me in any kind of weather since.

The kid who didn't know that it was a 40 foot drop between the end of the Southeast side of the Stadium and the grassy hill where many would watch the game. He ended up paralyzed and died some years later IIRC. Back then they sold beers at the concessions. That ended alcohol sales for nearly 40 years at Rutgers Stadium
Damn that is a horrible and sad story . How come I have never heard of this ?

I was so angry they did that - took away something that was working to our advantage. My wife was just angry we were still there, lol - she had stepped in a huge puddle and soaked one foot on the walk to the stadium, and hasn't come to a game with me in any kind of weather since.
Our entire section was going nuts. Trying to get people on the sidelines attention, before they made too much progress. We finally did and one of the facility guys reaction was so Rutgers. "He's almost done and like that will make a difference."

Yeah but you think someone would have mentioned it here . I am not saying I don’t believe you, it just seems like an infamously sad story that would be remembered
It definitely happened. Remember my dad telling the story. He was chaperoning a group and witnessed the emergency response.

Reactions: scarletbergen
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT