ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting...

Oh shoot. I had always imagined Banghart replacing CVS. Hobbs, do you have a succession plan?

In 2015 Fortune Magazine named her of the world's 50 greatest leaders.

Impressive.

Seems like a good hire for North Carolina.
If her time at Princeton is any type of implication, North Carolina won't be missing a beat hiring Courtney to take Sylvia's place.

I’d keep an eye on Denise Dillon, the Drexel coach. There’s lots of good coaches out there however. (OP - maybe you should change thread title from Interesting to Princeton coach takes UNC job).

Seems like a good hire for North Carolina.
If her time at Princeton is any type of implication, North Carolina won't be missing a beat hiring Courtney to take Sylvia's place.
North Carolina hasn't been the hottest thing of late. It may take a couple of years,but she will probably be an upgrade.

I think the eventual replacement for Stringer will be the assistant coach at Rutgers who was the acting head coach at the end of the season.Quick transition with salary savings.I liked he played full court pressure defense causing turnovers and layups.His ability to recruit as compared to Stringer would be a big concern.

big missed opportunity
Never know, many times what seems to be a golden opportunity, proves false.
More than likely , with the program she'd inherit,
Banghart would be successful as the RU WBB HC.
But there have been times when a sure fire success as HC proves a little over-matched at a higher level Conference.

( This is an exaggeration to make a point about some fans finding every reason and thing to be unsatisfied with the HC)
Then you have the fans expectations of top ten rankings every year and even 20 or more wins a season isn't good enough.
Some even think not making the final four on a constant bases is grounds to be fired.
Courtney might have run into that if she became CVS' successor [winking]

Voepel writes a nasty, trashy column about Banghart's appointment.

I look forward to seeing Banghart make her look like the fool she is.

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-...ally-committed-returning-women-basketball-top
Looks like the writer is disappointed that TarHeel didn't get the job and trying to imply hiring Courtney was a mistake.

Because she coached at a lower level and doesn't have North Carolina connections , doesn't mean Banghart isn't a good hire.

Implying Elon's Charlotte Smith, the former Tar Heel player would have been a better hire
doesn't sound like it's the competition Courtney faced as Princeton's HC is the reason the writer is skeptical about success under Banghart , but he expected Charlotte Smith to be hired and taking his frustrations out on Courtney .

Looks like the writer is disappointed that TarHeel didn't get the job and trying to imply hiring Courtney was a mistake.

Because she coached at a lower level and doesn't have North Carolina connections , doesn't mean Banghart isn't a good hire.

Implying Elon's Charlotte Smith, the former Tar Heel player would have been a better hire
doesn't sound like it's the competition Courtney faced as Princeton's HC is the reason the writer is skeptical about success under Banghart , but he expected Charlotte Smith to be hired and taking his frustrations out on Courtney .

I have a different perspective on what Voepel wrote. It was not the most complimentary to Banghart but really she (Mechelle) seemed to be more complaining about the way the athletics department administration handled the whole thing. Seemed like her Banghart comments are part of collateral damage to that set of points. Voepel even says that she does not mean to cast aspersions...
The handling of Hatchell's departure and the announcement of Banghart without appropriate fanfare are part of her concerns. Voepel is one of the few reporters (albeit MidWestern) who covers women's basketball year around for ESPN, so I tend to respect her perspective. So her complaints, I think, are because the perception and handling by the administration show their low regard for women's basketball. Recall some of this goes back to the scapegoating of women's basketball to save men's basketball during the NCAA investigation.
I agree that Banghart is in for a culture shock as is UNC.
I think Banghart can bring instant credibility for the academic aspect and perhaps undo some of the damage done by Hatchell and others to the academic reputation and expectations for the scholar athletes. I think she has the potential to do a good job as a coach but her assistants will be critical to her success due to her lack of experience with the cutthroat recruiting competition. Her X and Os should be fine even with more talent. Stanford's coach, Tara Vanderveer, who is a student of the game even as a HoFer, consulted with Banghart about the Princeton offense, so that suggests Banghart has the credibility and respect.
For those who lament her loss to be a potential RU head coach - that is not permanent but I don't know if RU would have been persuasive for her unless the geography was going to a deciding factor. She may find she does not like the ACC and be available for a position in NJ, but she sounds like she is up for the challenge at this time.
We can wish her luck, as long as it does not hurt RU. It will be fun to follow and see what happens.

I have a different perspective on what Voepel wrote. It was not the most complimentary to Banghart but really she (Mechelle) seemed to be more complaining about the way the athletics department administration handled the whole thing.
edited most of your reply out because everyone will be able to read what you wrote without me re-posting it in my reply here.

I do hope your take is the right one, but at first glance it looked like a little bitterness that Smith wasn't hired along with criticizing how the Athletic Department allowed the program to go down instead of fully supporting it.

Like I said first glance, so I could have made my self prejudiced against the article because I looked more for fault than looked more deeply into what the writer was trying to say and now can't get past that first glance opinion.

Well, good for her. It will be interesting to see how she adapts to the ACC, but from many angles she likely will be an improvement on Hatchell, at least Hatchell as we've seen her the last several years.

When it comes the time to find a replacement for CVS, I would think RU would have its choice of high-level applicants, if the Administration is willing to support the program. The program has a rich history that while currently not at its peak, is not a major rebuild either (and CVS is still bringing in HS AAs). It's in a top conference in the B10 and you have prime recruiting territory in NJ, NYC, and Philly within 90min of campus (this area has produced nearly every WNBA star that has come from RU, minus Cappie and Wheeler). Banghart was obviously an intriguing candidate because of her NJ background, but, as Mechelle Voepel points out, she's never coached in a major conference, nor has she been a part of the recruiting world where you're competing to offer players scholarships. She may very well thrive, but there are likely plenty of other coaches who will find RU an incredibly intriguing place to build a legacy.

Reactions: ScarletteK80
I think the eventual replacement for Stringer will be the assistant coach at Rutgers who was the acting head coach at the end of the season.Quick transition with salary savings.I liked he played full court pressure defense causing turnovers and layups.His ability to recruit as compared to Stringer would be a big concern.
Do not want that we need a clean slate when she is let go he is part of a regime that has been failing for years now

When it comes the time to find a replacement for CVS, I would think RU would have its choice of high-level applicants, if the Administration is willing to support the program. The program has a rich history that while currently not at its peak, is not a major rebuild either (and CVS is still bringing in HS AAs). It's in a top conference in the B10 and you have prime recruiting territory in NJ, NYC, and Philly within 90min of campus (this area has produced nearly every WNBA star that has come from RU, minus Cappie and Wheeler). Banghart was obviously an intriguing candidate because of her NJ background, but, as Mechelle Voepel points out, she's never coached in a major conference, nor has she been a part of the recruiting world where you're competing to offer players scholarships. She may very well thrive, but there are likely plenty of other coaches who will find RU an incredibly intriguing place to build a legacy.
How can you question whether or not the administration is willing to support the program. Look at CVS salary they are paying her top dollar with no rewards as far as performance on the court.

Reactions: rimsky
The dentist never lets facts get in the way of his hatred for CVS nor for him calling for every RU coach to be fired. trolls gotta troll!!!
just remember how it posts after something good happens, like a win or winning streak :
Very rarely and what it posts might not be a complement or you can tell saying something nice about the RU WBB program hurt it more than a root canal

After something bad:
usually shortly afterwords and sometimes more than a couple times and it doesn't seem like it had to have some teeth pulled to post something knocking the coaching staff and/or the program

Want to get rid of a Rutgers Coach? Start here dentist.
"Chris Ash: If you're discussing who is most likely to be the first Power Five coach fired in 2019, it doesn't take long before Ash's name comes up. He just finished his third season at Rutgers, going 1-11, and he's now 7-29 overall and only 3-24 in the Big Ten. 2018 rank: 60 (-5)"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT