ADVERTISEMENT

InterMat NCAA Division I Rankings 6/23/22

Is Peterson going 125 or 133 and can he beat either to start?
Does Peterson have a Rs left to use?? Who’s winning in the room between Peterson/Shawver/Heilman?? Someone’s gotta sit unless Alvarez goes 149 opening up 141

Reactions: Leonard23
I think White at 149 is gonna make noise. People are sleeping on him.
White has been a pleasant surprise but he hasn’t had any huge wins and had close losses to good guys.. rn I’m predicting like a Olivieri like season where he makes ncaa qualifiers but we will c

Does Peterson have a Rs left to use?? Who’s winning in the room between Peterson/Shawver/Heilman?? Someone’s gotta sit unless Alvarez goes 149 opening up 141
Peterson redshirted last season. Peterson will need to beat Shawver or Heilmann to start. As of right now, I dont see him starting. Alvarez will be at 141.

125 Shawver #24
133 Heilmann #17 đź‘€
141 Alvarez #16
174 Turley #24
184 Poz #8
197 Janzer #28
HWT Boone #33

Guess this confirms Olivieri is redshirting?
Other notable weight changes (not mentioned in rankings)

133 - Beau Bayless (Harvard)
141 - Zach Price (Gardner-Webb)
149 - Kellyn March (North Dakota State)
157 - Andy Clark (Rutgers)
157 - Luke Kemerer (Edinboro)
157 - Colt Yinger (Ohio)
165 - Jordan Slivka (Ohio)
165 - Connor O'Neill (Rutgers)

157 - Colt Yinger (Ohio)
Both are great moves for those guys.

I also think Shawver is underrated. He was been developing nicely so hopefully that continues into next year.

157 - Colt Yinger (Ohio)
I think going down a weight will help both Clark and O'Neill. Both were constantly overpowered at the higher weights last year. Any word if Kannaird is staying at 157 or moving up to 165?

Both are great moves for those guys.

I also think Shawver is underrated. He was been developing nicely so hopefully that continues into next year.
Agreed good moves for Clark and O’Neil.. wonder if Kanniard will be able to keep starting spot.

Shawver’s signature win is over McKee, but other then that he usually beats/loses to according to paper..good chance to ncaa qualifier again but not sure if he can jump into AA there are lots of good returners.. may the best man win out of him and Peterson for this spot.

Reactions: MS-RU
Agreed good moves for Clark and O’Neil.. wonder if Kanniard will be able to keep starting spot.

Shawver’s signature win is over McKee, but other then that he usually beats/loses to according to paper..good chance to ncaa qualifier again but not sure if he can jump into AA there are lots of good returners.. may the best man win out of him and Peterson for this spot.
Definitely.

With that being said he improved noticeably over the last year, especially being more offensive which was his achilles heal. It's very hard to win at this level when you are always behind and giving up the first one or two take downs. This also continued with freestyle in the spring and summer thus far, so hopefully it continues into next year as well.

Like you said, it's a great problem to have with him and Peterson fighting for a spot.. they will push each other and may the best man win.

"165 - Connor O'Neill (Rutgers)"
How many times was it said he couldn't make 165? And if he does, who backs up Turley at 174? Is there an honest assessment of Turley's ability to come back strong without reinjury?

"165 - Connor O'Neill (Rutgers)"
How many times was it said he couldn't make 165? And if he does, who backs up Turley at 174? Is there an honest assessment of Turley's ability to come back strong without reinjury?
Having a designated backup is pretty overrated imo.. O’Neil should go his best weight(assuming it’s 165?) Turley his best weight 174.. and if Turley happens to get injured or needs to sits then O’Neil or someone else can step up to 174

Having a designated backup is pretty overrated imo.. O’Neil should go his best weight(assuming it’s 165?) Turley his best weight 174.. and if Turley happens to get injured or needs to sits then O’Neil or someone else can step up to 174
Fair enough. But I don't like seeing kids sucking too much weight. I asked several times last season if he could drop and the answer was a definite no. If O'Neill can do it, stay healthy, and be happy, then he'll be competing with Gayer. Having two at 165 isn't a bad thing. I had projected Soldano at 197 and Casale at heavy, so I'm glad to see that transpiring. It's best for Poz to stay at 184; there had been some suggestion of him dropping to 174.

Fair enough. But I don't like seeing kids sucking too much weight. I asked several times last season if he could drop and the answer was a definite no. If O'Neill can do it, stay healthy, and be happy, then he'll be competing with Gayer. Having two at 165 isn't a bad thing. I had projected Soldano at 197 and Casale at heavy, so I'm glad to see that transpiring. It's best for Poz to stay at 184; there had been some suggestion of him dropping to 174.
I agree, I hate seeing wrestlers suck too much weight to the point where it’s counter productive aka Alverez… go the weight where it’s cuttable and you can focus on strength/technique/mental game aka Ash sr year 149.

He did beat Angelo and MVB in wrestle-offs.
No doubt White has been a pleasant surprise.. and his win vs MVB is his best win for sure and would not be surprised at all For White to make nationals.. now will he be one of those impact freshman that shakes up the upper echelon in the rankings it’s too early to tell or predict..

O’Neill going 165 tells me they expect Turley to be ready to go. Oneill isn’t beating Turley so only other option is to try to cut.
I would like to believe Turley will come back healthy and strong. I would like to. In past years, he has started very slowly and last year he beat O'Neill by one point in wrestle-offs. O'Neil has had a full season of experience since then and Turley is questionable. As far as "they" expecting Turley to be ready to go, "They" said Turley was ready last year and Vulach was ready a few years ago. I never recovered fully from my back injury and can't think of anyone who has. The same question applies to Janzer. It's all yet to be seen, including O'Neil making and maintaining weight at 165. I'm guessing Gayer will be 165 unless he can't beat Clark and/or Kanniard. Kanniard should stay at 157. They should all spend lots of time building strength over the summer.

I would like to believe Turley will come back healthy and strong. I would like to. In past years, he has started very slowly and last year he beat O'Neill by one point in wrestle-offs. O'Neil has had a full season of experience since then and Turley is questionable. As far as "they" expecting Turley to be ready to go, "They" said Turley was ready last year and Vulach was ready a few years ago. I never recovered fully from my back injury and can't think of anyone who has. The same question applies to Janzer. It's all yet to be seen, including O'Neil making and maintaining weight at 165. I'm guessing Gayer will be 165 unless he can't beat Clark and/or Kanniard. Kanniard should stay at 157. They should all spend lots of time building strength over the summer.
Turley has been here three years. What slow starts are you referring to? First year was a wasted year as they only gave him a few matches and wasted the opportunity to RS. Second year he was inexplicably buried behind Grello when he obviously had the talent to beat him, although I am guessing maybe they wanted to tame his sometimes reckless style of wrestling. Then he goes on to AA that year. Last year, I am going to assume his shoulder injury was present during wrestle offs. I can't see a healthy Turley normally losing to O'Neil by one point. I hope he is back to near or full recovery. He's a fun wrestler to watch.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
Turley has been here three years. What slow starts are you referring to? First year was a wasted year as they only gave him a few matches and wasted the opportunity to RS. Second year he was inexplicably buried behind Grello when he obviously had the talent to beat him, although I am guessing maybe they wanted to tame his sometimes reckless style of wrestling. Then he goes on to AA that year. Last year, I am going to assume his shoulder injury was present during wrestle offs. I can't see a healthy Turley normally losing to O'Neil by one point. I hope he is back to near or full recovery. He's a fun wrestler to watch.
Not really sure what to expect out of Turley at this point.. we don’t know the extent of his injury.. and his AA Year was very inconsistent.. no one could have expected his AA run postseason tbh… will a healthy Turley even wrestle like he did that postseason or inconsistent Turley… it’s a coin flip…

Not really sure what to expect out of Turley at this point.. we don’t know the extent of his injury.. and his AA Year was very inconsistent.. no one could have expected his AA run postseason tbh… will a healthy Turley even wrestle like he did that postseason or inconsistent Turley… it’s a coin flip…
I guess time will tell. It's hard to define his AA year as inconsistent when he was never exposed to starting caliber, B1G competition until around mid-season and then was plopped right into the middle of the B1G schedule. If he is healthy, I expect to see a very solid wrestler (if not more).

Reactions: mikemessner
I guess time will tell. It's hard to define his AA year as inconsistent when he was never exposed to starting caliber, B1G competition until around mid-season and then was plopped right into the middle of the B1G schedule. If he is healthy, I expect to see a very solid wrestler (if not more).
It’s still mind boggling Grello held the starting spot for so long.. maybe it was a room familiarity thing or some seniority thing…

I guess when I say inconsistent I mean sometimes Turley would look amazing (fall, tf) and then others he would take a confusing loss or lose to a guy he’s dominated before(maybe injuries?)…

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Do your own research. You described it yourself; behind Grello, then a .500 wrestler until the NCAA where he came on strong after finishing 9th at Big 10. He needs to start strong and be consistent. I've been a fan since he got there but disappointed. After a year off, I think O'Neill will beat him for the position. I'd rather see a strong Turley - and I too enjoy watching him.

It’s still mind boggling Grello held the starting spot for so long.. maybe it was a room familiarity thing or some seniority thing…

I guess when I say inconsistent I mean sometimes Turley would look amazing (fall, tf) and then others he would take a confusing loss or lose to a guy he’s dominated before(maybe injuries?)…
Maybe @wngarbarini or @mikemessner can shed some insight on the whys and hows of the situation. Coming out of high school, JT wrestled sometimes wrestled with reckless abandon which he overcame with his strength and talent. In college, that trait needed to be tamed and it did burn him on occasion. My thought is that is what kept him off the dual meet mats early on as Grello would have been the safer option so to speak. Either that or the old guard was given preferential treatment? Maybe grades? Maybe discipline? Bueller?
Do your own research. You described it yourself; behind Grello, then a .500 wrestler until the NCAA where he came on strong after finishing 9th at Big 10. He needs to start strong and be consistent. I've been a fan since he got there but disappointed. After a year off, I think O'Neill will beat him for the position. I'd rather see a strong Turley - and I too enjoy watching him.
I can't see O'Neil taking the spot unless he develops a better neutral and offensive arsenal. Or if JT is not close to 100%.

Whatever happened with the Grello/Turley situation, it’s hard to look back in hindsight and say the coaches did something wrong. Turley has had one full season where he was 100% and he earned AA honors.

Reactions: mikemessner
ADVERTISEMENT