ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Adding Women's Wrestling

Great news for the sport and would be awesome if RU could jump in on this trend early as there is so much talent in NJ, PA, NY, etc that we could easily create a monster program from the start.

Yes!!!! RU really needs to get out in front and add women's wrestling as they'd be a power program immediately.

It would be good to see here and NJCU already added it, but how can we afford adding it when we can't even afford the programs we have? Also, it's ironic that Iowa added women's wrestling now after they basically stopped supporting the HWC women's team and they all left for ASU and elsewhere...or at least that was the rumor.

Last edited:
Adding women's wrestling would allow RU to be in compliance for Title IX to bring back some cut sports like men's crew or swimming or start ice hockey in about a decade or so down the road.
I don't understand this continued push to add sports, as we can't even afford our current sports and probably should cut some instead of adding more.

I don't understand this continued push to add sports, as we can't even afford our current sports and probably should cut some instead of adding more.
What's there to cut? We're ranked in most Olympic sports at this point. We aren't going to cut sports we are good at, for starters.

What's there to cut? We're ranked in most Olympic sports at this point. We aren't going to cut sports we are good at, for starters.
How do you define good? I'm not an advocate for cutting sports, but the reality is that we don't adequately fund our current sports and the 24 sports we sponsor are more than Texas, Northwestern (18), Purdue (20), Maryland (20), Nebraska (21), and Illinois (21), just to name a few, so something has to give.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
I'm not going to spend any time looking for the information and doubt it's available in enough detail. However, I'm curious how Rutgers spends the money it does have. It's a matter of prioritization. When looking at current sports funding and consideration of additional sports, one might want to look at the broader use of funds and any possible reprioritizing. Of course, I don't have the information but am inclined to believe there are significant opportunities for greater efficiency in other areas than sports. But all that would require someone with the interest and not of a bureaucratic background.

I'm not going to spend any time looking for the information and doubt it's available in enough detail. However, I'm curious how Rutgers spends the money it does have. It's a matter of prioritization. When looking at current sports funding and consideration of additional sports, one might want to look at the broader use of funds and any possible reprioritizing. Of course, I don't have the information but am inclined to believe there are significant opportunities for greater efficiency in other areas than sports. But all that would require someone with the interest and not of a bureaucratic background.
I just looked, we're still in the red and run a deficient each year. This despite having one of the lowest budgets in the B1G conference. Not enough revenue and too many sports. A full B1G payout would help but that's not coming till 2027.(We're fully vested but paying back B1G loans)

So finagle the dollar amounts anyway you want, eventually you'll have to take from Peter(not fully invest) to pay Paul. We've done the half assed attempt before and it always ends bad for that sport.

Last edited:
And watch them immediately build a pipeline to New Jersey for the next decade until we finally decide to add the sport.

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
Our sports could generate much more revenue in the coming years. In any case, it would be worth the expense to start a program.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Exactly. This crying poor bullshit is just an excuse. Just typical self loathing defeatism.
That's a bad take. You're looking at this solely as a fan and ignoring the reality of the financial and business side. You know how far behind we've been in funding, facilities and competing for championships, so I'm surprised by this take. We're finally starting to compete and the entire department had its best year in over a decade, but we have yet to win a B1G team championship and we're far from consistently winning, so we shouldn't funnel money away to an additional sport.

As for cutting XC, people have suggested that as well as T&F, golf, volleyball, and tennis, as those have been our weaker sports. Cutting just XC may be hard because NCAA scholarship limits are combined for T&F (indoor and outdoor) and XC at 12.6 for men and 18 for women, so how many of those schollies do you cut to reallocate to women's wrestling?

Btw, Iowa only established women's wrestling as part of a Title IX settlement:

The University of Iowa has reached a settlement agreement for a Title IX lawsuit brought by female athletes who alleged the school isn’t providing equal access in sports. As part of the agreement, the UI Athletics Department is creating a women’s wrestling team. While the school’s athletics director says the sport wouldn’t have been added now but for the legal challenge, he says the decision to create the program is “historic” and has been in the works for years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT