ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Basketball fans: What they think of the B1G

cubuffsdoug

Heisman Winner
Apr 8, 2002
Here is a quote from one of their fans on what they think about the B1G next season:

B1G teams that won’t be better than Iowa next year:

1. Rutgers
2. Nebraska
3. Illinois
4. Northwestern
5. Wisconsin
6. Minnesota

Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Indiana, Purdue, Maryland and Penn State will all be just as good or better than Iowa. Depending on the schedule, it is going to be anywhere from difficult to pretty much impossible to make the NCAA tourney next year, imo.

As much as I like the optimism, this is a tough league, and although I like our guys and our returning minutes, many teams have better players. Just the way it is.
I don't know what Iowa has coming back next year, but off the top of my head, they are not beating Nebraska or Illinois. Unless Iowa gets some guards and foot speed, I don't see them being much better. I think they are trending the wrong way. Also, what makes them believe PSU will be better next?

I like their recruiting classes in recent years as far as talent/shooters, but I've lost the ability for Fran McCaffery to believe he can run and gun through 20 league games. The lack of defense that Iowa showed in long stretches of games was not good at all. I'm pessimistic on Iowa making any significant jumps.

I like their recruiting classes in recent years as far as talent/shooters, but I've lost the ability for Fran McCaffery to believe he can run and gun through 20 league games. The lack of defense that Iowa showed in long stretches of games was not good at all. I'm pessimistic on Iowa making any significant jumps.
I'm thinking the same thing. Yes, they can score, but you're not going o win many games if you don't play defense. A few months ago one of the posters on their site said they can believe they lost a close game to Rutgers. What game were they watching? Rutgers trailed a total of 90 seconds. At one point Rutgers was up by 20 in the second half.

Tyler Cook is returning and they have that shooter - Bohanon back. I also think McCaffrey's kid joins the squad - and I believe he is a top 50-100 recruit - but I don't recall if he enrolls for 18 or 19. I believe 2019.

Tyler Cook is returning and they have that shooter - Bohanon back. I also think McCaffrey's kid joins the squad - and I believe he is a top 50-100 recruit - but don't recall if he enrolls for 18 or 19. I believe 2019.
Bohanon is back and he's a Jr. The kid you're talking about is Mr. Iowa and a 4*. Also, Iowa signed Mr. Kentucky (3*). Overall, they refuse to play defense, and that is a significant reason why they are likely to continue to struggle next year.

They also have the Moss kid back who IMO is a very good player.

I think their center was decent as a frosh last year but he didn't play his best against us. They definitely have a good offensive team but we definitely took it to them last season. I see we play them twice this coming season.

Iowa had a great-to-elite offense (16th in the country by KenPom) and they were super young. Their defense will improve with all the experience returning. Don't take them lightly or assume we can easily beat them out.

The last 2 summers have seen the Board predict the demise of Pitino who ended up in the NCAA's and Miles who ended up with 22 wins.

Let's just wait and see what happens when conference play begins.

Iowa had a great-to-elite offense (16th in the country by KenPom) and they were super young. Their defense will improve with all the experience returning. Don't take them lightly or assume we can easily beat them out.
No one is taking them lightly. It's the other way around. Their fans don't seem to respect most of the teams in the B1G. Their fans believe Nebraska will be no good. They basically crapped on every team as being beneath them.

Reactions: goru7
The last 2 summers have seen the Board predict the demise of Pitino who ended up in the NCAA's and Miles who ended up with 22 wins.

Let's just wait and see what happens when conference play begins.
Gives me hope, because clearly some weird sh*t can happen in this conference and we may finally be getting to where we have a roster that you can at least imagine competing. Nebraska's roster was an absolute mess going into last year and people were noting how Miles gave great press conferences but his time was limited. That was a league wide prediction... not just this board. (people also thought Iowa was going to be great and absolutely gushing over their young wings/bigs)

No one is taking them lightly. We kicked their ass last year in a game that Issa went off in the first half. They couldn’t guard anyone and Corey did not have to do much. That makes me think we have a good chance to beat them at least once. The OP was pointing out their arrogance and you missed it.

No one is taking them lightly. We kicked their ass last year in a game that Issa went off in the first half. They couldn’t guard anyone and Corey did not have to do much. That makes me think we have a good chance to beat them at least once. The OP was pointing out their arrogance and you missed it.
That probably wasn't arrogance because what do Iowa fans have to be arrogant about?

They haven't won a B1G regular season championship since 1979 or a B1G Tournament championship since 2006. They haven't been to the NCAA Tournament since 2016, yes they went three years in a row but between 2006-2014 they missed the tournament. They haven't been in the S16 since 1999.

I doubt it was arrogance. I chalk it up to a fan making somewhat crazy statements about their favorite team. Which, let's face it, that almost never happens on a message board so it probably took some people by surprise [winking]

ADVERTISEMENT