ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Blog previews RU

While a quasi-"elite" team, Iowa always seems like a game that is in reach for RU. Here's an example from the link:

"6.9 yards: The difference between the 120th (Rutgers at 310.8) and 121st (Iowa at 303.9) offenses from 2021. The Hawks outpaced them by 3.7 points/game, a difference almost exclusively attributable to non-offensive scores (6 TDs & 2 safeties by my count - 3.3 points/game)."

Seems like at least the writer is not overlooking RU, but did he do his research?:

"Mohamed Toure (#8, DL, Junior, 6’2”, 235 lbs): The back-to-back leading sack man for Rutgers has put together a nice career as an undersized defensive lineman, accumulating 9 sacks and 70 tackles the last two seasons."

I'm still reeling over the 14-7 loss to Iowa in 2016 where their defender seemingly purposefully stomped Janarion Grant's ankle, and this asinine play sequence ensued:

• 1st & Goal at IOWA 3​

(5:53 - 2nd) Tylin Oden run for 1 yd to the Iowa 2
  • 2nd & Goal at IOWA 2​

(5:53 - 2nd) Tylin Oden run for no gain to the Iowa 2
  • 3rd & Goal at IOWA 2​

(5:53 - 2nd) Chris Laviano run for a loss of 1 yard to the Iowa 3
  • (2:10 - 2nd) Timeout RUTGERS, clock 02:10
  • 4th & Goal at IOWA 3​

(2:10 - 2nd) Chris Laviano run for 2 yds to the Iowa 1

• Angry
Reactions: rucoe89 and Unionst
I'm still reeling over the 14-7 loss to Iowa in 2016 where their defender seemingly purposefully stomped Janarion Grant's ankle, and this asinine play sequence ensued:
  • 1st & Goal at IOWA 3​

• 2nd & Goal at IOWA 2​

• 3rd & Goal at IOWA 2​

• 4th & Goal at IOWA 3​

This so epitomized the ineptitude of the Chris Ash regime. We used a skinny stick of a QB to try to punch it through instead of 2 tried and true RB's.

This so epitomized the ineptitude of the Chris Ash regime. We used a skinny stick of a QB to try to punch it through instead of 2 tried and true RB's.
And the haircut/OC guy who made the weird remark about Oden not having enough arse to push it in. Laviano was persona non grata for what he did in the Maryland 2015 game, but some of us are still waiting for a QB to match or beat his 2015 statistics. Will save the haters the post--sure, he had Carroo, but somebody had to throw the ball to him.

Laviano 2015 stats: 187/307 (60.9%), 2247 yards, 16 TDs/12 INTs. Who knew that those would be considered world beater stats that RU would not sniff for close to 10 years? 🤷‍♂️ Carroo had 10 of those TDs and 39 total receptions, so Laviano had to be hitting other receivers too, namely Patton, Grant and Agudosi.

• 1st & Goal at IOWA 3​

• 2nd & Goal at IOWA 2​

• 3rd & Goal at IOWA 2​

• 4th & Goal at IOWA 3​

Ouch, that memory still stings.
man-disgusted.gif

Didn't all three of these guys also play professional football? Not being a wise guy, just asking.
You are correct.

Patton signed with the Chargers as an UDFA. He was last with the Eagles but waived on August 31, 2021.

Grant is in the CFL, mainly as a kick returner. He signed with the Ravens, made the roster as a kick and punt returner, not a receiver. If only the Ravens were smart and drafted Laviano to throw to him!!! 😜

Agudosi signed with the Cardinals as an UDFA. In 2019, he moved over the CFL.

On that point, Bo Melton was at Rutgers the last 5 years, and he was drafted.

But really what has done QB/passing stats in the last several years is the woeful recruiting and/or development on the OL.

I'm sorry guys, but actual football talk is not allowed on this board!
e0LLql8.gif

Grant is in the CFL, mainly as a kick returner. He signed with the Ravens, made the roster as a kick and punt returner, not a receiver. If only the Ravens were smart and drafted Laviano to throw to him!!! 😜

Grant couldn't stick with the Ravens because he couldn't hold onto the ball. After his 2nd fumble on a return, he was done.

• Wow
Reactions: Knight Shift
While a quasi-"elite" team, Iowa always seems like a game that is in reach for RU. Here's an example from the link:

"6.9 yards: The difference between the 120th (Rutgers at 310.8) and 121st (Iowa at 303.9) offenses from 2021. The Hawks outpaced them by 3.7 points/game, a difference almost exclusively attributable to non-offensive scores (6 TDs & 2 safeties by my count - 3.3 points/game)."

Seems like at least the writer is not overlooking RU, but did he do his research?:

"Mohamed Toure (#8, DL, Junior, 6’2”, 235 lbs): The back-to-back leading sack man for Rutgers has put together a nice career as an undersized defensive lineman, accumulating 9 sacks and 70 tackles the last two seasons."

• 1st & Goal at IOWA 3​

• 2nd & Goal at IOWA 2​

• 3rd & Goal at IOWA 2​

• 4th & Goal at IOWA 3​

One of the more disgraceful playcalling sequences ever.

Reactions: Knight Shift
You are correct.

Patton signed with the Chargers as an UDFA. He was last with the Eagles but waived on August 31, 2021.

Agudosi signed with the Cardinals as an UDFA. In 2019, he moved over the CFL.

On that point, Bo Melton was at Rutgers the last 5 years, and he was drafted.

But really what has done QB/passing stats in the last several years is the woeful recruiting and/or development on the OL.
That last point sums it up. OL play was worse than subpar.

• 1st & Goal at IOWA 3​

• 2nd & Goal at IOWA 2​

• 3rd & Goal at IOWA 2​

• 4th & Goal at IOWA 3​

I remember the injury, but not the play sequence that followed. Did Rutgers do anything but run in those days? Still our offense is so predictable. We don't have the Oline, QB and skills players.

Among many other examples. My personal favorite was the innovative blocking scheme brought in by the new OL coach after Blazek left. When they played Iowa that year, the cutting edge strategy was to single block A.J. Epenensa, Iowa's All-American DE and eventual 1st round draft pick, who spent the entire game in the RU backfield.

Iowa is a program I'd love for Rutgers to be like in many ways.

Even on their down years they're usually decent and respectable and every few years they pop for a 9 or 10 win season and make noise for a conference title game. They have a great following and some cool traditions. Pretty decently recongnized brand. They produce lots of good NFL talent , especially at some specific positions.

Its unrealistic for RU to aspire to ascend into blue blood program status like OSU, Michigan, PSU, SEC schools, etc. That's not RU's goal or fabric to do what it takes to get there. But Iowa and the tier of programs like that would be a great place to get and stay at.

Even on their down years they're usually decent and respectable and every few years they pop for a 9 or 10 win season and make noise for a conference title game. They have a great following and some cool traditions. Pretty decently recongnized brand. They produce lots of good NFL talent , especially at some specific positions.

Its unrealistic for RU to aspire to ascend into blue blood program status like OSU, Michigan, PSU, SEC schools, etc. That's not RU's goal or fabric to do what it takes to get there. But Iowa and the tier of programs like that would be a great place to get and stay at.

Iowa & Wisconsin should be within reach.

I remember the injury, but not the play sequence that followed. Did Rutgers do anything but run in those days? Still our offense is so predictable. We don't have the Oline, QB and skills players.
I remember the fourth down play vividly. An option run with Laviano, who probably had never run option in his life. The element of surprise, maybe? The play was there too. All Laviano had to do was make the pitch (to Jawaun Harris I think) and it's a walk-in TD. Laviano kept it and was flattened on the one.

Iowa or Wisconsin is the realistic ceiling for RU in this conference. It takes decades of winning 10 plus games a year, and massive booster dollars to ascend to blueblood status.

Iowa & Wisconsin should be within reach.

Iowa or Wisconsin is the realistic ceiling for RU in this conference. It takes decades of winning 10 plus games a year, and massive booster dollars to ascend to blueblood status.

i don’t know. Wisconsin seems to have passed that level and acended both football and basketball to the next level. They consistently contend and win for conference titles in both sports. Not every few years contend (and rarely win) which is the level IOWA is at.

i don’t know. Wisconsin seems to have passed that level and acended both football and basketball to the next level. They consistently contend and win for conference titles in both sports. Not every few years contend (and rarely win) which is the level IOWA is at.

That's the Big 10 West, not the East, with respect to conference titles. Big difference.

I remember the fourth down play vividly. An option run with Laviano, who probably had never run option in his life. The element of surprise, maybe? The play was there too. All Laviano had to do was make the pitch (to Jawaun Harris I think) and it's a walk-in TD. Laviano kept it and was flattened on the one.
Since you mentioned Jawuan Harris, he is still playing paid baseball, at the Sussex County Miners in the Frontier League.

Reactions: Doctor Worm

If Rutgers had the same success year-over-year as Iowa we would have the most obnoxious fanbase in the country.

• 1st & Goal at IOWA 3​

• 2nd & Goal at IOWA 2​

• 3rd & Goal at IOWA 2​

• 4th & Goal at IOWA 3​

Too soon
Way too soon to joke about it.
Wounds are still raw

I seem to recall the score was 0-0 towards the end of the half and, rather than kick a FG, go thru the tunnel up 3-0, dumbass decides he's gonna pound it in. The IA coach had went for it on 4th and goal earlier so I guess dumbass figured he had to as well

Better chance that we will have fond memories of this upcoming Iowa game!
Then we can post about our progress. We finally have some linemen that can match up.

Go Iowa Awesome
LET'S FRET: RUTGERS UNIVERSITY
More snark in evidence.
"Well, you can probably guess what I’m worried about: The Scarlet Knights spraying the Hawkeyes with their stank and turning the game into a smelly s**t show, with Rutgers playing like slightly less butt and climbing out of the stink pile with the W."
Two points
1 - I'd take it
2 - You'd think if anybody knew why to avoid wrestling pigs it'd be the Iowa crew

ADVERTISEMENT