ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Fan here seeking advice

beans 33

Redshirt
Mar 1, 2002
For reference, have been to NYC/NJ several times on business trips but never to Rutgers. Making the trip for Sep 24 game, flying into LGA, then down to New Brunswick with hotel for Thurs/Fri/Sat. Any suggestions on bars/pubs/food must do's? Advice on visitor tailgating? Any other thoughts? Happy to reciprocate when you guys venture west,

Reactions: LetsGoRUwrestling
Put on a Penn State sweatshirt and mingle at any tailgate. We love those guys.. Plenty of drinks and chow downtown..Tailgaters get more receptive and friendly to our guests as they grow more inebriated. Same as you are used to but with a different accent...Ask for a guy named RUforReal .He will feed you like it was your last meal and supply some of his finest home made hooch.

A couple observations/questions to you:

Flying into Liberty Airport, Newark instead of LaG would leave you only a 40 minute drive away from Rutgers down the New Jersey Turnpike.

What age are you or what age groups interest you? Are you a college bar type person or more restaurant type person?

Since you're in town by Thursday and the game is Saturday, I would point out you are 35 miles from the Jersey shore that will still have great weather in late September. Bars, bands, shore vibe still kicking around. If you've never seen or been to the Jersey shore, it might be a great way to spend at least one day while you are here. Also hotel rooms down there should have lower prices since it's off season time. Don't know what you're looking for but hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: cicero grimes
Put on a Penn State sweatshirt and mingle at any tailgate. We love those guys.. Plenty of drinks and chow downtown..Tailgaters get more receptive and friendly to our guests as they grow more inebriated. Same as you are used to but with a different accent...Ask for a guy named RUforReal .He will feed you like it was your last meal and supply some of his finest home made hooch.
Put on a Penn State sweatshirt BBBBbbbbbbwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhaaaaaaahhhhhhhaaaaaa

Staying in South Plainfield with a car. Just looking for older fart places (30-60 yr old group) not the college age group. We've been to several Big 10 road venues, most have adult friendly places to drink and semi trash talk. Jersey Shore could be intriguing. Tailgate/parking lot suggestion is essential.

As was mentioned in the other thread, if you come back closer to gameday you'll be able to connect with some tailgates. We're happy to welcome visiting fans, as long as they're not Penn State fans. Hell, we were even nice to the Michigan fans two years ago.

Reactions: Ridge 22
I am sure he is flying into LaGuardia based on flight cost. I find that LaGuardia and even more Kennedy have more discount airlines. Although, LaGuardia is a confusing airport.

Staying in South Plainfield with a car. Just looking for older fart places (30-60 yr old group) not the college age group. We've been to several Big 10 road venues, most have adult friendly places to drink and semi trash talk. Jersey Shore could be intriguing. Tailgate/parking lot suggestion is essential.
Jersey Shore- now you are talking!
Here's the thing, in my opinion, you are not going to find many or any places at the Jersey Shore where you will find enough Rutgers fans that are going to be inclined to trash talk.
Best place for your age group for the Jersey Shore is Asbury Park. Excellent small town near the beach. Bars and restaurants on the boardwalk. Great bar and restaurant scene on Cookman Ave.

As far as game day, get a blue or yellow lot pass. Blue and Yellow are where the action is at. Blue is a younger crowd, and yellow has more of a mix of age groups.

If you want more Jersey Shore info, ask.

Reactions: JerseyVegas
If you want to experience the best parts of the tailgate scene you'll need to get a pass on the secondary market. There are a couple game day lots fairly close to the stadium but they fill up fast. One is only used weather permitting. The rest on the Busch campus where the stadium is located are gobbled up by season ticketholders. The best lots are color coded as Scarlet, Green, Yellow, Blue, Purple, and Black. The biggest lot for game day parking is at the Athletic Center (RAC) but requires a bus ride to the stadium. It's free and an easy ride to the stadium. Not great getting back afterwards.

If you check back closer to game day I'm sure a number of people here will invite you and your crew to join them. It's what we do for everyone other than that school on the other side of the Delaware River.

You are staying in the most boring place possible. Just sleep there!. Go out in New Brunswick at night. Tons of great restaurants from high end to pub type. Brother Jimmy's is a bbcue place, Some real nice restaurants across fromt he Heidrich Hotel, Catherine Lombardi, Stage Left. Fun place for drinks and food is Destination Dog. If you go out on Easton Ave , closer to campus, fun bar scene and famous food is Stuff Yer Face. A ton of other restaurants also.

If you are interested a Jersey Shore trip just get on Rt 18 and head east. You can go to Pier Village in Long Branch or head to Asbury Park but make sure you know what neighborhood you are in. If you decide to do the shor scene reach back out to us and we will give you some suggestions for restaurants.

As for parking / tailgating. If you want to park near the stadium you will need a parking pass. Get one on stubhub etc. The lots by "best " location are Scarlet , Green , Yellow, Blue . Purple, Black. Try and get a yellow if you can.

Reactions: MoobyCow

If you hit the shore, don't expect anything like the TV show. It only exists in a couple small enclaves along 100+ miles of coastline. The bar scene is still hopping on weekends in September. Weekdays not too much. Asbury Park and Atlantic City may be exceptions.

Reactions: RU22
From many places around where u are staying it's an easy train ride into NYC. Very easy day trip. I assume you are getting a car. If so might want to hit some Manhattan highlightes on the way from LGA.

Honestly if you guys are from Iowa I'd hit the shore on Friday instead of campus. Grab an outside table at a restaurant on the boardwalk in Asbury park and enjoy an experience that is "Jersey". Afterwards catch a show at the Stone Pony.

http://stoneponyonline.com

They don't have anything scheduled that far out, but they'll probably have a band that you've heard of that night. And who knows? Bruce might pop in & jam with them.

Asbury Park and a few other towns have already been mentioned. I'll just throw in the Boat House and Bar Anticipation in the Belmar area. The age groups go up in the off season as college students return to school. Boat House always has a Friday night band. I think Bar A might too. A few miles away, Leggett's in Manasquan is right at the ocean draws a large Friday and Saturday night crowd of mixed 21-60 somethings. Boat House is indoors only, Bar A and Leggett's have "outside" places in addition to indoors. But that's all dependent on the weather. If you have a car, Point Pleasant, Manasquan, Belmar and all the shore towns leading north to Asbury Park are a total drive from one end to the other of 20 minutes.

Last edited:
I would say take a trip to Princeton for dinner one night. It's a 20 minute train ride from New Brunswick and it's beautiful. New Brunswick has its nice restaurants and the downtown area has its nice areas but Princeton is just in a whole other level.

Hoboken might also be a good idea. The view of the city skyline is breathtaking from Hoboken. There is literally hundreds of bars there. It's about 45 min to an hour from NB but I think it's worth it.

In New Brunswick, if you want the local signature college bar with great beer and food check out Stuff Yer Face. If you something more upscale, downtown New Brunswick has many of those types of restaurants; Catherine Lombardi's, Stage Left, Tumultys, Steakhouse 85, many more. I wouldn't spend any more than one night in New Brunswick though because there's so much more to see that is close by.

Our tailgating scene is pretty solid since it used to be the only reason to come to games 20 years ago. Many will be happy to welcome you to their tailgates. Consider buying a lot pass on the secondary market.

A few miles away, Leggett's in Manasquan in right at the ocean draws a large Friday and Saturday night crowd of mixed 21-60 somethings. Boat House is indoors only, Bar A and Leggett's have "outside" places in addition to indoors. But that's all dependent on the weather. If you have a car, * Point Pleasant, Manasquan, Belmar and all the shore towns leading north to Asbury Park are a total drive from one end to the other of 20 minutes.
* Too bad the game wasn't a few week earlier.

THIS place could be fun for you guys. Still might be but not sure if they have anything on their sked that late in the season.

Should have flown into Newark Airport.

Once in New Gunswick, visit Harvest Moon Brewery... they brew their own beers. Good stuff. Go to Jimmy's Grill on Easton Avenue for fat sandwiches... a must. Giovanneli's, I think, was one of the top-rated Pizza places in New Jersey.

If you need weed hit up Skinny Vinny's but ask for Mike. He's going to ask you, "Hero or Hoagie?" You say "Hero". Wait 5 minutes inside and then go outside and walk around back.

Reactions: Rokodesh and RU22
Jersey Shore- now you are talking!
Here's the thing, in my opinion, you are not going to find many or any places at the Jersey Shore where you will find enough Rutgers fans that are going to be inclined to trash talk.
Best place for your age group for the Jersey Shore is Asbury Park. Excellent small town near the beach. Bars and restaurants on the boardwalk. Great bar and restaurant scene on Cookman Ave.

I disagree for your age group go to Long Branch and Pier Village. Many restaurants and bars. Plus Ocean Place has become the in place. It is closer to South Plainfield than Asbury Park. McCloones on the pier should still be hopping then.

As far as game day, get a blue or yellow lot pass. Blue and Yellow are where the action is at. Blue is a younger crowd, and yellow has more of a mix of age groups.

If you want more Jersey Shore info, ask.

I disagree for your age group go to Long Branch and Pier Village. Many restaurants and bars. Plus Ocean Place has become the in place. It is closer to South Plainfield than Asbury Park.

Ocean Place is 41.6 miles from the South Plainfield hotels.
Asbury boardwalk is 38.3 miles

Route 36 adds 6.5 miles

Ocean Place is 41.6 miles from the South Plainfield hotels.
Asbury boardwalk is 38.3 miles

Route 36 adds 6.5 miles
And Long Branch and Pier Village are boring compared to Asbury Park.

Would skip Bar A, Belmar, Boathouse too. Not close to beach, and pretty stale bar atmosphere.

Same for Leggetts in Manasquan. It is not right on the ocean. It is across the street and there are no ocean views.

Asbury Park has it all. High end bar with great ocean views in the Watermark. More relaxed Ocean view with the Beach Bar or the Anchor's bend. Other bar/ restaurant action at Asbury Yacht Club, Stella Marina, McCloones, and Langosta Lounge. WIll definitely be bands at the Wonder Bar and th Stone Pony, which is worth a visit in itself as being the house that Bruce Springsteen built. No other place mentioned has the number and variety of options at such a high density.

If you are looking for places to see:
Morristown -- Ford Mansion, Morris Museum -- nice restaurants
Princeton-- College, Town and Museum, restaurants
Rutgers-- Zimmerli Museum,
Shore -- Sandy Hook -- Has a light house and bunkers from old Fort Hancock, shore dinner at Bahrs.
Sommerviille, has restaurants, Duke Farm Nature walks,

if you want to drive -- Ground for Sculpture is unique

You probably want to avoid Plainfield

Reactions: Rokodesh
I would also advocate a trip to the Jersey Shore. If you are physically fit walk the continuous boardwalk from Asbury to Spring Lake or atleast a portion thereof. While the air may have cooled the water temps should still accommodate an ocean swim if you are so inclined. I would say an hours drive tops from South Plainfield. Would also advocate Nwk Airport versus LGA unless intending to spend time in NYC. Much easier drive down to the South Plainfield/New Brunswick area. Not much going on specifically in South Plainfield.

If you are looking for places to see:
Morristown -- Ford Mansion, Morris Museum -- nice restaurants
Princeton-- College, Town and Museum, restaurants
Rutgers-- Zimmerli Museum,
Shore -- Sandy Hook -- Has a light house and bunkers from old Fort Hancock, shore dinner at Bahrs.
Sommerviille, has restaurants, Duke Farm Nature walks,

if you want to drive -- Ground for Sculpture is unique

You probably want to avoid Plainfield
Hey now - you just crossed the line there!

Fly into Newark. Take the train to New Brunswick, right from the airport to the downtown station. Easy peasy. The Hyatt and the Heldrich are a short walk. Lots to do and see and drink and eat right around the area--all walkable. For more adventure, take the train into NYC from NB; service is pretty much round-the-clock. Let the conductor be your group's designated driver. For more low-key but upscale pursuits, take the train south from NB to Princeton. Skip the "shoo-whaa" and other stuff for a return trip.

As people said here, your first mistake was flying in from LaGuardia, do whatever you can to change your flight to Newark. Laguardia is on the wrong side of NYC, if you are coming in anywhere close to rush hour you will be hating yourself.

The majority of the visitors end up at the RAC lot. The back of the lot also holds the RV section, which for obvious reasons will be more Iowa fans than Rutgers fans. Be advised the RAC is not next to the stadium there are free shuttles to get you there.

Wife is from Iowa (Dyersville) and I've taken her to NJ a number of times. I'd echo those recommending Princeton and the Jersey Shore. Hoboken is very nice as well if you want those big NYC views, along with a lot of restaurants and a vibrant bar/restaurant scene.

Princeton has a beautiful and historic campus which is worth seeing and is a manageable, clean, fun town to grab lunch/dinner.

As for the Shore, it kind of depends what you want. If you want to get your feet wet in the ocean and go for a walk on the beach, I would probably recommend Sandy Hook/Sea Bright along the northern part of the shore. Weather should be ideal late September, water won't be cold, and I would think you would enjoy it. If you want Jersey kitsch, you can hit Pt. Pleasant or Asbury. Both have boardwalks...Pt Pleasant, that time of the year is likely to be more quiet, while Asbury has a bit more of a year-round vibe there. Asbury is a little more 'eclectic' with hipsters and tattoos and that sort of thing, but also some really neat buildings from the 'glory days'. If you want quiet, upscale Jersey Shore, check out Bay Head (just south of Pt. Pleasant) which have a bunch of big shore homes and a small downtown with a few restaurants. Ocean Grove is also an interesting place with some neat architecture and a nice beach to walk as well. If you don't want to work hard, Pier Village in Long Branch is fine...has a boardwalk, some restaurants, parking, and is on the ocean. For what it's worth, my wife loves Bay Head, is so-so on Asbury, and likes Sandy Hook/Sea Bright.

If you are into history, there are a ton of things to do as well due to the Colonial history of the area...but I'll let others fill you in on that if interested.

Honestly if you guys are from Iowa I'd hit the shore on Friday instead of campus. Grab an outside table at a restaurant on the boardwalk in Asbury park and enjoy an experience that is "Jersey". Afterwards catch a show at the Stone Pony.

http://stoneponyonline.com

They don't have anything scheduled that far out, but they'll probably have a band that you've heard of that night. And who knows? Bruce might pop in & jam with them.

This. Especially for someone traveling in from the Midwest in September.

If you want to experience the best parts of the tailgate scene you'll need to get a pass on the secondary market. There are a couple game day lots fairly close to the stadium but they fill up fast. One is only used weather permitting. The rest on the Busch campus where the stadium is located are gobbled up by season ticketholders. The best lots are color coded as Scarlet, Green, Yellow, Blue, Purple, and Black. The biggest lot for game day parking is at the Athletic Center (RAC) but requires a bus ride to the stadium. It's free and an easy ride to the stadium. Not great getting back afterwards.

If you check back closer to game day I'm sure a number of people here will invite you and your crew to join them. It's what we do for everyone other than that school on the other side of the Delaware River.
I know what you mean but every B1G school is on the other side of the Delaware River. [laughing]

Reactions: knightfan7
Since B1G fans travel well and far, and some wish to show up early, if my team was playing at Rutgers, I'd get a large group together, get a good hotel rate at the shore (provided the game is played in September, or early October at the latest) and party there. Then drive up on game day. That would be more fun than spending all your time on campus or at your hotel room.

Don't get me wrong, a night out in New Brunswick is fun too. But this is one of the few places you might want to take advantage of a shoreline. Once you've come this far, you might as well go the extra 35 miles.

Last edited:
20-25 minutes away to artsy Lambertsville, or walk across the river to New Hope. You can find all the atmosphere you can handle without the younger crowds.

I would say take a trip to Princeton for dinner one night. It's a 20 minute train ride from New Brunswick and it's beautiful. New Brunswick has its nice restaurants and the downtown area has its nice areas but Princeton is just in a whole other level.

Hoboken might also be a good idea. The view of the city skyline is breathtaking from Hoboken. There is literally hundreds of bars there. It's about 45 min to an hour from NB but I think it's worth it.

In New Brunswick, if you want the local signature college bar with great beer and food check out Stuff Yer Face. If you something more upscale, downtown New Brunswick has many of those types of restaurants; Catherine Lombardi's, Stage Left, Tumultys, Steakhouse 85, many more. I wouldn't spend any more than one night in New Brunswick though because there's so much more to see that is close by.

Our tailgating scene is pretty solid since it used to be the only reason to come to games 20 years ago. Many will be happy to welcome you to their tailgates. Consider buying a lot pass on the secondary market.

For the life of me I can't understand why a Rutgers fan would tell a first time Big Ten visitor to go to Princeton.

If you're looking for a really good steak after the game, go to steakhouse 85 in New Brunswick. Just a heads up, it is expensive. But I figured I'd though it out there. Who doesn't like a good steak

If you like Indian food, go to Edison (oak tree road). Best Indian food outside of India.

For the life of me I can't understand why a Rutgers fan would tell a first time Big Ten visitor to go to Princeton.
Why not? It's a beautiful campus and it's so close. Might as well see the two best NJ schools while you're here.

ADVERTISEMENT