ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa fans: what they are saying

cubuffsdoug

Heisman Winner
Apr 8, 2002
washtu401Well-Known Member
they really pressure the ball. Not good for us with not the best guards bringing it up. this will be a very tough game.

trjWell-Known Member
They aren't just mugging people the way MSU does. They have a lot of length so they can get out on the perimeter and defend. Do they play with a certain level of physicality? Yes, but that has been B1G basketball since like forever.

As others have pointed out the game is at Iowa. So the hawks should be able to get out in transition and do what they do. JW,CJF getting open looks off the secondary break,etc.

jasonrannHR Legend
Gold Member

NewWe owe these guys an ass whooping after what they did to us at Carver last year. I hope it happens.

30 jasonrann, Today at 9:33 AM

Shout out to MrsScrew

Reactions: RU MAN
Sounds like some of those farmers have a couple of leftover corn cobs up their wazzu ...to them we’re just city slicksters on the east coast.

I saw many complimentary statements from Iowa fans on their board late yesterday. They know this will be a tough matchup. I was surprised one fan thought our team still likely hasn't gotten over losing to them on a banked three from the corner at the RAC. I would've figured they have the game circled because of what happened at their place last year.

Reactions: RU-ROCS
Sounds like some of those farmers have a couple of leftover corn cobs up their wazzu ...to them we’re just city slicksters on the east coast.

giphy.gif

Reactions: RUBOB72
I saw many complimentary statements from Iowa fans on their board late yesterday. They know this will be a tough matchup. I was surprised one fan thought our team still likely hasn't gotten over losing to them on a banked three from the corner at the RAC. I would've figured they have the game circled because of what happened at their place last year.

I had the same take. Every fan base has some jackassess, but for the most part the Iowa fan base seems well-informed and respectful.

Iowa board seemed mostly complimentary and respectful towards us. One poster however called Harper a punk. Lots of RU Board posters over on their board.

Reactions: Scangg
I think this is going to be a great game and honestly see this thing being within 5-7 points with each team having multiple opportunities to pull away. However, the SOS numbers are bogus. Rutgers is heavily favored on SOS because the bottom feeders they've played are in the 200-300 range vs Iowa play three 300+ NET teams. Rutgers is 5-3 vs Quad 1 & 2 teams while Iowa sits at 8-4 respectively. If Fredrick plays the 2nd half versus PSU at the Palestra, Iowa wins that game. They also win the Nebraska game if he plays. Just like I think Iowa loses at the RAC, I think Rutgers loses in Iowa City.

I think this is going to be a great game and honestly see this thing being within 5-7 points with each team having multiple opportunities to pull away. However, the SOS numbers are bogus. Rutgers is heavily favored on SOS because the bottom feeders they've played are in the 200-300 range vs Iowa play three 300+ NET teams. Rutgers is 5-3 vs Quad 1 & 2 teams while Iowa sits at 8-4 respectively. If Fredrick plays the 2nd half versus PSU at the Palestra, Iowa wins that game. They also win the Nebraska game if he plays. Just like I think Iowa loses at the RAC, I think Rutgers loses in Iowa City.
Then we win the Illinois game which we lost by 4 and was a 2 point game with like under a minute left with Gio Baker who is a great closer. Everyone has injuries; we beat Penn State and Nebraska without Gio and lost to Illinois by a few on the road.

Then we win the Illinois game which we lost by 4 and was a 2 point game with like under a minute left with Gio Baker who is a great closer. Everyone has injuries; we beat Penn State and Nebraska without Gio and lost to Illinois by a few on the road.

We have three players out for the season (two starters (Bohannon and Nunge), and a four star freshman recruit). Everyone has injuries, but this Iowa team is a different kind of tough.

Iowa board seemed mostly complimentary and respectful towards us. One poster however called Harper a punk. Lots of RU Board posters over on their board.

Lmao what was their justification for calling Ron a punk? That he balls hard?

We have three players out for the season (two starters (Bohannon and Nunge), and a four star freshman recruit). Everyone has injuries, but this Iowa team is a different kind of tough.
Only if we had Eugene Omoruyi too how much different Rutgers would be. Unfortunately, sports don't accept woulda, coulda, shoulda in the outcome of events.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Only if we had Eugene Omoruyi too how much different Rutgers would be. Unfortunately, sports don't accept woulda, coulda, shoulda in the outcome of events.
I'm fine playing this season without Eugene. Not sure we would be where we are if he was here, unless he was going to fully buy in to the "share the game" mindset on offense.

Reactions: whofrewdatmataRU13
And I'd agree, you probably win that game. I'm not over here trying to start an argument. Just throwing my two cents in. Rutgers has me worried, they are legitimate.

Reactions: Arizona Knight
Could you please point to what source has the SOS and NCSOS rankings in which Rutgers is higher than Iowa? Im not saying you are a liar but looking at adjSOS on KenPom Iowa is 8, Rutgers 50 and adjNCSOS Iowa is 63 and Rutgers is 282.

NET ranking sheets

https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/Stats Library/NET Nitty Gritty - Jan. 20, 2020.pdf

RU 16 SOS overall, 29 non conference

Iowa 100 SOS overall, 164 non conference

I will note Pomeroy is definitely using the RU game against D2 Caldwell which does not count on the NET sheet nor does the selection committee consider that game as a loss.

NET ranking sheets

https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/Stats Library/NET Nitty Gritty - Jan. 20, 2020.pdf

RU 16 SOS overall, 29 non conference

Iowa 100 SOS overall, 164 non conference

I will note Pomeroy is definitely using the RU game against D2 Caldwell which does not count on the NET sheet nor does the selection committee consider that game as a loss.
Other than that is what the committee uses, there is no way one could argue that the NET rankings and their SOS metrics are better indicators of how difficult a schedule a team has played than KenPom which is has proven year after year to be the most efficient formula in determining who the best teams are in the country. To say that Rutgers schedule has been better because of some metric that has proven to not be very good(linking it with the old RPI) when other metrics including the most reliable one have clearly shown that Iowa has played a way more difficult schedule overall and especially the non conference.

Other than that is what the committee uses, there is no way one could argue that the NET rankings and their SOS metrics are better indicators of how difficult a schedule a team has played than KenPom which is has proven year after year to be the most efficient formula in determining who the best teams are in the country. To say that Rutgers schedule has been better because of some metric that has proven to not be very good(linking it with the old RPI) when other metrics including the most reliable one have clearly shown that Iowa has played a way more difficult schedule overall and especially the non conference.

yet the NET is what the committee is using for selection process. I do think that KenPom overall number is on there at the top. Here is the official team sheet they use as an example. I know people personally love KenPom, I do bracket projections here and for that purpose I find it generally worthless. I use the methodology that the NCAA has explained

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/mens-basketball-selections-101-selections

The committee often refers to "team sheets" when comparing team performance. The team sheets contain in-depth team information about strength of schedule, performance against teams sorted by quadrants and results.

Starting with the 2017-18 season, the team sheets took on a new look. They now not only include each team’s NET, but also include a team’s ranking in five other metrics: the ESPN strength of record and BPI rankings, as well as the KPI, KenPom and Sagarin rankings

here is an example of a team sheet

MU_MBB_Team_Sheet_1_15.png

The problem with Gene was usually when the ball was passed inside to him, it never came back out, whether or not he had a good shot. IMO, if Gene was still on the team, he would have hindered Myles growth on offense and stymied the team's unselfishness. Gene was a warrior, but I'm very happy with the trade for Yeboah ( I fully understand it wasn't a real trade, just resulted that way).

I'm fine playing this season without Eugene. Not sure we would be where we are if he was here, unless he was going to fully buy in to the "share the game" mindset on offense.

ScarletNut
The problem with Gene was usually when the ball was passed inside to him, it never came back out, whether or not he had a good shot. IMO, if Gene was still on the team, he would have hindered Myles growth on offense and stymied the team's unselfishness. Gene was a warrior, but I'm very happy with the trade for Yeboah ( I fully understand it wasn't a real trade, just resulted that way).

I agree with both of you, but my response to was point out woulda, coulda, shoulda doesn't change things.

Last edited:
I really have no issues with Iowa fans at all. I think our teams are very close in talent. I haven't seen much of Garza but the numbers suggest he's figured it out. I think our defense will play well and this will be a close game. Hope we come out on the winning side.

yet the NET is what the committee is using for selection process. I do think that KenPom overall number is on there at the top. Here is the official team sheet they use as an example. I know people personally love KenPom, I do bracket projections here and for that purpose I find it generally worthless. I use the methodology that the NCAA has explained

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/mens-basketball-selections-101-selections

The committee often refers to "team sheets" when comparing team performance. The team sheets contain in-depth team information about strength of schedule, performance against teams sorted by quadrants and results.

Starting with the 2017-18 season, the team sheets took on a new look. They now not only include each team’s NET, but also include a team’s ranking in five other metrics: the ESPN strength of record and BPI rankings, as well as the KPI, KenPom and Sagarin rankings

here is an example of a team sheet

MU_MBB_Team_Sheet_1_15.png
Dude I know all about it and I agree with what you are saying about the committee. That sheet is what they use and they use their metrics when it comes to SOS. But to say Rutgers has played a tougher schedule just because that is what NET tells you is flat wrong. According the KenPom, which has proven year after year to be more accurate in gauging a team's SOS, Iowa's schedule in both overall metrics(SOS and NCOS) is way tougher and its not even close. For you to say the opposite in the above tweet is a little misleading and to crap on the Iowa fan's tweet was wrong.

All in all I'm not arguing against the fact that Rutgers isn't good. You guys are fantastic and love what your coach has done and the administration has been patient with him. You are a terrible matchup for us and really feel like you guys will win in IC tomorrow because our lack of athleticism. Looking forward to the game between two tourney teams.

A couple of Iowa fans think a zone defense will work against a "bad" 3pt shooting team. We all saw non conference slate what we do to zones, doesn't last long.

ADVERTISEMENT