ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Game- Gleeson Called A Great Game Last Night and Simon Played Well-Detailed Pass by Pass Analysis

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
Yeah, that's what I said in the title.
No, @rutgersal Did not hijack my computer.

Go ahead with your posts of "other than that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?" This board was ridiculous last night and continues to be this morning with the usual haters, drama queens and sniveling fans who just want to scream that RU sucks, our QB sucks, Greg is not going to get it done, and the OC should be fired. As always, it is not that simple. This loss was on the OL and nobody else. Two part analysis- Simon pass by pass; and OL analysis. For TLDR crowd:

Summary: 28/49, 300 yards, 1 TD 2 INT
Bad passes: 6
Good/Great passes: around 30
Under pressure: 21 pass attempts plus several sacks
One interception was on Simon; the other was a great play by Iowa's DB and DL, as Simon was hit while throwing the ball

Grade: B to B+

I'd start Simon against Ohio State. He learned and grew during this game. We are not going to beat Ohio State, barring a miracle, and Simon gives us the best shot for a miracle at this point. Plus, we don't want Vedral or Wimsatt to hurry back and get re-injured. Our OL was terrible, especially LT WT.

Our OL still needs work, particularly LT. Greg and the coaches brought in several transfers, moved Ireland Brown to OL, yet LT is a huge issue right now. Not sure what else could have been done in the offseason, or what can be done now. There are OL recruits from 2021 and 2022 in the pipeline.

SIMON'S PERFORMANCE:
Taken from ESPN Game Tracker, with non-pass plays weeded out, except for Simon runs.

FIRST HALF:

FIRST POSSESSION (FG):
  • 2nd & 6 at RUTG 29​

(15:00 - 1st) Evan Simon pass incomplete
  • Pass to Youngblood on sidelines, threw out of bounds as Youngblood was in double coverage; good play by Simon nobody else seemed open from replay
  • 3rd & 6 at RUTG 29​

(15:00 - 1st) Evan Simon pass complete to Johnny Langan for 8 yds to the Rutgr 37 for a 1ST down
  • Great pass by Simon, low to Langan to avoid double coverage under extreme pressure (tackled while throwing)
  • 2nd & 11 at RUTG 36​

(15:00 - 1st) Evan Simon pass complete to Johnny Langan for 5 yds to the Rutgr 41
  • Nice short pass complete to Langan
  • 3rd & 6 at RUTG 41​

(15:00 - 1st) Evan Simon pass complete to Shameen Jones for 33 yds to the Iowa 26 for a 1ST down
  • Outstanding pass by Simon, great catch by Jones. Simon hit right after the pass.
  • 1st & 10 at IOWA 26​

(11:50 - 1st) Evan Simon pass incomplete
  • Good short pass, dropped by Langan
  • 2nd & 10 at IOWA 26​

(11:50 - 1st) Evan Simon run for 15 yds to the Iowa 11 for a 1ST down
  • Fabulous read by Simon and great, gutsy run.
  • 2nd & 8 at IOWA 9​

• Bad high pass to open Jones, would have been TD.
  • 3rd & 8 at IOWA 9​

• Corner TD pass to Cruickshank- well thrown, great play by Iowa DB
SECOND POSSESSION (INT):
  • 2nd & 11 at RUTG 15​

(8:11 - 1st) Evan Simon pass complete to Al-Shadee Salaam for 3 yds to the Rutgr 18
  • Nice short pass
  • 3rd & 8 at RUTG 18​

(5:26 - 1st) Cooper DeJean 45 Yd Interception Return (Drew Stevens Kick)
  • Simon under extreme pressure, hit as he was throwing downfield pass to Youngblood. The pass was well thrown, but just short and great play by Iowa DB. Tyler beat on that play by DL.
THIRD POSSESSION (PUNT):
  • 1st & 10 at RUTG 25​

(5:26 - 1st) Evan Simon pass complete to Shameen Jones for 9 yds to the Rutgr 34
  • Great short pass over the middle to Jones
  • 2nd & 1 at RUTG 34​

(5:26 - 1st) Evan Simon pass complete to Samuel Brown V for no gain to the Rutgr 34
  • Good short pass in flat under extreme pressure again.
  • 1st & 10 at RUTG 38​

(5:26 - 1st) Evan Simon pass incomplete
  • Pass on the money to Salaam, dropped it
  • 2nd & 10 at RUTG 38​

(5:26 - 1st) Evan Simon pass complete to Johnny Langan for 4 yds to the Rutgr 42
  • Nice short pass to Johnny Football
  • 3rd & 6 at RUTG 42​

(2:42 - 1st) Evan Simon pass incomplete
  • Simon under pressure again, good pass a little bit high to Langan, but catchable, off his hands
FOURTH POSSESSION (PUNT):
  • 2nd & 7 at RUTG 40​

(15:00 - 2nd) Evan Simon pass complete to Samuel Brown V for 4 yds to the Rutgr 44
  • Nice short pass in flat
  • 3rd & 3 at RUTG 44​

(15:00 - 2nd) Evan Simon pass incomplete
  • Bad pass too high and over Long's head
FIFTH POSSESSION (FUMBLE, IOWA TD):
  • 2nd & 5 at RUTG 12​

(9:18 - 2nd) Evan Simon pass incomplete
  • Thrown over middle in tight window to Washington, batted away by DB
  • 3rd & 5 at RUTG 12​

(8:28 - 2nd) Kaevon Merriweather 30 Yd Fumble Return (Drew Stevens Kick)
  • Beautifully thrown pass to Youngblood, caught and fumbled on a hard hit by Iowa
SIXTH POSSESSION (PUNT):
  • 2nd & 9 at RUTG 26​

(8:28 - 2nd) Evan Simon pass complete to Aron Cruickshank for 17 yds to the Rutgr 43 for a 1ST down
  • Good short pass; Simon looked right, short dump off to Cruickshank for long gain.
  • 2nd & 10 at RUTG 43​

(8:28 - 2nd) Evan Simon pass complete to Samuel Brown V for 4 yds to the Rutgr 47
  • Nice swing pass to Brown for short gain

• 3rd & 6 at RUTG 47
    (8:28 - 2nd) Evan Simon pass complete to Aron Cruickshank for 1 yd to the Rutgr 48
  • Simon again under extreme pressure, middle crossing route completion

SECOND HALF:
FIRST POSSESSION (Interception):
  • 2nd & 14 at RUTG 19​

(10:04 - 3rd) Evan Simon pass complete to Chris Long for 16 yds to the Rutgr 35 for a 1ST down
  • Great completion over middle to Long; Simon shattered by Iowa DL.
  • 1st & 10 at IOWA 37​

(5:42 - 3rd) Evan Simon pass intercepted
  • This was a very bad pass by Simon into double coverage not under pressure.

SECOND POSSESSION (DOWNS):
  • 1st & 10 at RUTG 11​

(3:43 - 3rd) Evan Simon pass complete to Al-Shadee Salaam for 10 yds to the Rutgr 21 for a 1ST down
  • Good pass in flat to Salaam
  • 1st & 10 at RUTG 21​

(3:43 - 3rd) Evan Simon pass complete to Sean Ryan for 7 yds to the Rutgr 28
  • Good pass in tight window to Ryan
  • 1st & 10 at RUTG 32​

(3:43 - 3rd) Evan Simon pass incomplete
  • Good throw away by Simon under extreme pressure
  • 2nd & 10 at RUTG 32​

• Dangerous pass to Ryan in tight coverage broken up
  • 3rd & 10 at RUTG 32​

(1:46 - 3rd) Evan Simon pass complete to Isaiah Washington for 7 yds to the Rutgr 39
  • Good pass to Washington
  • 4th & 3 at RUTG 39​

(1:46 - 3rd) Evan Simon pass complete to Shameen Jones for 10 yds to the Rutgr 49 for a 1ST down
  • Great pass by Simon to Jones over middle
  • 1st & 10 at RUTG 49​

(1:46 - 3rd) Evan Simon sacked by Lukas Van Ness for a loss of 2 yards to the Rutgr 47
  • More extreme pressure, almost eluded the sack
  • 2nd & 12 at RUTG 47​

(1:46 - 3rd) SIMON, Evan pass to the left incomplete intended for JONES, Shameen thrown to the IOW48; QB hurried by LEE, Logan. PENALTY IOW Personal Foul on LEE, Logan enforced 15 yards from the RUT47 to the IOW38 and results in automatic 1ST DOWN [NHSG]. NO PLAY (replay the down).
  • Incomplete, but under extreme pressure. Good thorw away
  • 1st & 10 at IOWA 38​

(1:46 - 3rd) Evan Simon pass complete to Sean Ryan for 11 yds to the Iowa 27 for a 1ST down
  • Great pass over the middle by Simon and run after catch
  • 2nd & 9 at IOWA 26​

(0:00 - 3rd) Evan Simon pass complete to Shameen Jones for 6 yds to the Iowa 20
  • Great dart thrown by Simon to sideline
  • 3rd & 3 at IOWA 20​

(15:00 - 4th) Evan Simon pass complete to Shameen Jones for 7 yds to the Iowa 13 for a 1ST down
  • Great throw by Simon on sideline pass under pressure
  • 1st & 10 at IOWA 13​

(15:00 - 4th) Evan Simon pass incomplete
  • Bad pass by Simon to Jones not under pressure
  • 2nd & 10 at IOWA 13​

(15:00 - 4th) Evan Simon pass complete to Aron Cruickshank for 6 yds to the Iowa 7
  • Fantastic pass to Cruickshank
  • 3rd & 4 at IOWA 7​

• Threw high out of bounds on tight coverage nobody else open
  • 4th & 4 at IOWA 7​

(13:46 - 4th) Evan Simon pass incomplete
  • Simon under extreme pressure, no chance to make completion

THIRD POSSESSION (TOUCHDOWN):
  • 1st & 10 at RUTG 37​

(12:17 - 4th) Evan Simon pass complete to Johnny Langan for 31 yds to the Iowa 32 for a 1ST down
  • Simon evades pressure, perfect throw to wide open Langan
  • 1st & 10 at IOWA 32​

(12:17 - 4th) Evan Simon pass complete to Aron Cruickshank for 14 yds to the Iowa 18 for a 1ST down
  • Great pass over the middle
  • 1st & 10 at IOWA 18​

(12:17 - 4th) Evan Simon pass incomplete
  • Bad pass to Langan on short pass, but Simon under pressure again (thanks LT WT again)
  • 2nd & 10 at IOWA 18​

• Simon rolls out to evade pressure right to Johnny Langan, but hit really hard and dropped
  • 3rd & 10 at IOWA 18​

(11:15 - 4th) Evan Simon pass complete to Aron Cruickshank for 18 yds for a TD, (Jude McAtamney KICK)
  • Perfect pass to Cruikshank in corner of end zone

FOURTH POSSESSION (DOWNS):
  • 1st & 10 at RUTG 25​

(6:08 - 4th) Evan Simon pass complete to Isaiah Washington for 9 yds to the Rutgr 34
  • Great throw by Simon on the run and under pressure
  • 2nd & 1 at RUTG 34​

(6:08 - 4th) Evan Simon pass complete to Aron Cruickshank for 5 yds to the Rutgr 39 for a 1ST down
  • Good throw by Simon for first down
  • 1st & 10 at RUTG 39​

(6:08 - 4th) Evan Simon pass complete to Matt Alaimo for 8 yds to the Rutgr 47
  • Nice pass to TE on the sideline for 8 yard gain
  • 2nd & 2 at RUTG 47​

(6:08 - 4th) Evan Simon pass complete to Sean Ryan for 29 yds to the Iowa 24 for a 1ST down
  • Great pass to Ryan wide open under pressure
  • 1st & 10 at IOWA 24​

(6:08 - 4th) SIMON, Evan pass to the left incomplete intended for BROWN V, Samuel thrown to the IOW20. PENALTY RUT Holding on DUNLAP JR., Curtis enforced 10 yards from the IOW24 to the IOW34 [NHSG]. NO PLAY (replay the down).
  • Throw away under pressure, holding on play (thanks again LT WT)
  • 1st & 20 at IOWA 34​

(6:08 - 4th) Evan Simon sacked by Aaron Graves for a loss of 8 yards to the Iowa 42
  • Poor Simon
  • 2nd & 28 at IOWA 42​

(6:08 - 4th) Evan Simon pass incomplete
  • On the run under pressure, had to throw it away --"protection issues" according to announcer
  • 3rd & 28 at IOWA 42​

• Pocket collapsing, great sideline throw to Langan who did not catch tough ball
  • 4th & 28 at IOWA 42​

(3:49 - 4th) Evan Simon pass incomplete
  • Under Pressure again, Hail Mary smart pass going for it.

FIFTH POSSESSION (PUNT):
  • 1st & 10 at RUTG 6​

(2:47 - 4th) Evan Simon sacked by Jay Higgins and Aaron Graves for a loss of 5 yards to the Rutgr 1
  • Thanks again OL; great job by Simon avoiding the safety
  • 3rd & 12 at RUTG 4​

(2:47 - 4th) Evan Simon pass incomplete
  • Long, bad pass overthrown by Simon

THE OFFENSIVE LINE:

Rutgers OL still has problems, which should be no surprise. The LT position is particularly problematic. Iowa has an elite defense. I will say that a few more times in this post, because some of you don't get how football works.

When an average to below average OL plays against an elite defense, you can expect it to be a long day for the team with the average to below average OL. This was evident in the running game production last night, which was well below the last games of 212, 328 and 142 yards. Our message board geniuses were screaming about the lack of a passing game in these 3 games we won.

RU faced an elite defense last night. RU had 61 yards of rushing. RU had 300 yards of passing last night with the 3rd string QB starting. Yes, he is the third string. Noah is first, and Gavin is second. They were injured and could not play.

Rutgers has had TWO 300 yard passing games against FBS opponents twice since 2016.
2016- zero;
2017-zero;
2018-zero;
2019-Art against BC in a 30-16 loss; 2020-
Vedral-381 in OT loss to Michigan; 2021- zero.
Maybe the OC should be fired for calling a 300 yard passing game.

The Offensive Line.

OL recruiting was abysmal under the previous coach:
2018- 3 OL. None playing
2019- 2 OL. One on Roster, not a starter (CJ Hanson)
2020- 3OL- One on roster, Felter second string
Schiano recruiting:
2021- 3 OL: Gus Z, second team; Tyler Needham; Kevin Toth- transferred to Kent State;
2022- 5 OL recruits.

Let's take a look at Rutgers' two deep on OL:

LT-Willie Tyler- transfer portal senior
LT- CJ Hanson - 2019 recruit

LG-Curtis Dunlap-transfer portal senior
LG-Mike Ciaffoni-transfer portal junior

OC- Ireland Brown- BC DL transfer, moved to OG in 2021; OC in 2022;
OC- Gus Z- 2021 Greg recruit

RG- DiRenzo- transfer 2022;
RG- Felter 2020

RT- Hollin Pierce- Juco transfer 2020 second full season'
RT- David Nwaogwugwu; second year Temple transfer

Last edited:
I agree with OP. I am higher on the offense and Simon than when the game started. I think Greg will appreciate the toughness and attitude of Simon. Think we have a good shot at beating Nebby and Indy with any of the QBs. I will ignore this upcoming week other than to hope we can stay healthy.

you know nothing about football and anyone that thinks gleeson called a great game needs to go back to atari football and leave the adults at the table. putting primary receivers in space with multiple defenders due to play design with 2nd read coming into space is NOT a good offensive mind. I could go on but the underneath drop of 2 top set by Iowa should have left the middle wide open but when gleeson can't recognize or have a plays that take advantage.......just thinking about it makes me sick

gleeson sucks, you'r post is absolutely retarded

stats don't mean squat except the W/L one.

the only think worse than being thought of as ignorant is putting it on display, stupid post
I have you on ignore, but took a look at your post. I reported it to the mods, and not ashamed to do so. Try using words other than retarded. I stopped reading there, because you are a cretin that does not deserve a substantive response.

I agree with OP. I am higher on the offense and Simon than when the game started. I think Greg will appreciate the toughness and attitude of Simon. Think we have a good shot at beating Nebby and Indy with any of the QBs. I will ignore this upcoming week other than to hope we can stay healthy.
Thank you. Pretty quiet with few responses, which must mean we are right! 😜

But seriously, this was a game of taking what the defense would give us. We have had fans screaming for passes over the middle, and we had several last night. My only fear is 2/3 of our pass plays will be across the middle moving forward.

Interested in all replies and criticism, particularly @gef21 , who is one of the best qualified and rational posters on this board. Also wouldn't mind hearing from @cubuffsdoug , who might know something about defense.

Reactions: William J. Leggett
Do the exact same possession analysis for the BC and Temple games and see what that looks like. Then factor in the quality of the opposition . The cumulative 3 game summary would not give you the affirmation you so desperately seek ( in how many threads and how many times are you going to post this?) 3 offensive touchdowns and one of those a gimme which resulted from a fumble recovery inside the BC 10. What has the OC done to give his players the best opportunity to maximize their skill sets? And aren’t they fun to watch, as if that matters.

Do the exact same possession analysis for the BC and Temple games and see what that looks like. Then factor in the quality of the opposition . The cumulative 3 game summary would not give you the affirmation you so desperately seek ( in how many threads and how many times are you going to post this?) 3 offensive touchdowns and one of those a gimme which resulted from a fumble recovery inside the BC 10. What has the OC done to give his players the best opportunity to maximize their skill sets? And aren’t they fun to watch, as if that matters.
Why don't you do it, genius.

Thank you. Pretty quiet with few responses, which must mean we are right! 😜

But seriously, this was a game of taking what the defense would give us. We have had fans screaming for passes over the middle, and we had several last night. My only fear is 2/3 of our pass plays will be across the middle moving forward.

Interested in all replies and criticism, particularly @gef21 , who is one of the best qualified and rational posters on this board. Also wouldn't mind hearing from @cubuffsdoug , who might know something about defense.
I thought Simon made some very good throws, with some serious heat in his face. I really liked when we gave him levels to read, with multiple options.

I DID not like any time we called 3 verticals. Our WRs did a nice job of creating separation when running combo out routes, dig routes, out routes, and come back routes. We did not get much separation vertically.

I know the second interception we had 3 verticals and were attempting to get Langan underneath but he got jammed badly. There was no other option.

I believe the first interception was a three vertical passing scheme also.

Simon does throw to the back of the targets body frequently (cost us a TD), and shows potential to hit tight windows. He did have some very nice throws and I would like to see more sprint out and boots.

I was happy to see him truly reading the defense, unlike what we had to do with Art. In the second quarter the camera watched him line up and I could read his lips going through coverage checks.

I could not go to the game as I was coaching at a national invitational event, but that means I could watch it on TV and see a lot.

I thought Simon made some very good throws, with some serious heat in his face. I really liked when we gave him levels to read, with multiple options.

I DID not like any time we called 3 verticals. Our WRs did a nice job of creating separation when running combo out routes, dig routes, out routes, and come back routes. We did not get much separation vertically.

I know the second interception we had 3 verticals and were attempting to get Langan underneath but he got jammed badly. There was no other option.

Simon does throw to the back of the targets body frequently (cost us a TD), and shows potential to hit tight windows. He did have some very nice throws and I would like to see more sprint out and boots.

I was happy to see him truly reading the defense, unlike what we had to do with Art. In the second quarter the camera watched him line up and I could read his lips going through coverage checks.

I could not go to the game as I was coaching at a national invitational event, but that means I could watch it on TV and see a lot.
Thank you. Agree on the vertical route separation. Has been a problem for several years.

Thank you. Agree on the vertical route separation. Has been a problem for several years.
I think we have a good group of twitchy WRs though, and multiple weapons. Crossing routes, flood combo routes, come back routes, choice routes, digs, slants can all pay big dividends for us.

My positive take is that Iowa had to use safeties to stop our pass game. In recent years teams could man free us, or man zero us, and sell out to stop the run. LBs have to account for JL and the safeties had to play some coverage.

Our OL is a C+/B- but they are getting better. IF we had a true deep threat WR or a true TE this offense could be very good.

Yeah, that's what I said in the title.
No, @rutgersal Did not hijack my computer.

Go ahead with your posts of "other than that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?" This board was ridiculous last night and continues to be this morning with the usual haters, drama queens and sniveling fans who just want to scream that RU sucks, our QB sucks, Greg is not going to get it done, and the OC should be fired. As always, it is not that simple. This loss was on the OL and nobody else. Two part analysis- Simon pass by pass; and OL analysis. For TLDR crowd:

One interception was on Simon; the other was a great play by Iowa's DB and DL, as Simon was hit while throwing the ball

Grade: B to B+

I'd start Simon against Ohio State. He learned and grew during this game. We are not going to beat Ohio State, barring a miracle, and Simon gives us the best shot for a miracle at this point. Plus, we don't want Vedral or Wimsatt to hurry back and get re-injured. Our OL was terrible, especially LT WT.

Our OL still needs work, particularly LT. Greg and the coaches brought in several transfers, moved Ireland Brown to OL, yet LT is a huge issue right now. Not sure what else could have been done in the offseason, or what can be done now. There are OL recruits from 2021 and 2022 in the pipeline.

SIMON'S PERFORMANCE:
Taken from ESPN Game Tracker, with non-pass plays weeded out, except for Simon runs.

FIRST HALF:

FIRST POSSESSION (FG):
  • 2nd & 6 at RUTG 29​

(15:00 - 1st) Evan Simon pass incomplete
  • Pass to Youngblood on sidelines, threw out of bounds as Youngblood was in double coverage; good play by Simon nobody else seemed open from replay
  • 3rd & 6 at RUTG 29​

(15:00 - 1st) Evan Simon pass complete to Johnny Langan for 8 yds to the Rutgr 37 for a 1ST down
  • Great pass by Simon, low to Langan to avoid double coverage under extreme pressure (tackled while throwing)
  • 2nd & 11 at RUTG 36​

(15:00 - 1st) Evan Simon pass complete to Johnny Langan for 5 yds to the Rutgr 41
  • Nice short pass complete to Langan
  • 3rd & 6 at RUTG 41​

(15:00 - 1st) Evan Simon pass complete to Shameen Jones for 33 yds to the Iowa 26 for a 1ST down
  • Outstanding pass by Simon, great catch by Jones. Simon hit right after the pass.
  • 1st & 10 at IOWA 26​

• Good short pass, dropped by Langan
  • 2nd & 10 at IOWA 26​

(11:50 - 1st) Evan Simon run for 15 yds to the Iowa 11 for a 1ST down
  • Fabulous read by Simon and great, gutsy run.
  • 2nd & 8 at IOWA 9​

• Bad high pass to open Jones, would have been TD.
  • 3rd & 8 at IOWA 9​

• Corner TD pass to Cruickshank- well thrown, great play by Iowa DB
SECOND POSSESSION (INT):
  • 2nd & 11 at RUTG 15​

(8:11 - 1st) Evan Simon pass complete to Al-Shadee Salaam for 3 yds to the Rutgr 18
  • Nice short pass
  • 3rd & 8 at RUTG 18​

(5:26 - 1st) Cooper DeJean 45 Yd Interception Return (Drew Stevens Kick)
  • Simon under extreme pressure, hit as he was throwing downfield pass to Youngblood. The pass was well thrown, but just short and great play by Iowa DB. Tyler beat on that play by DL.
THIRD POSSESSION (PUNT):
  • 1st & 10 at RUTG 25​

(5:26 - 1st) Evan Simon pass complete to Shameen Jones for 9 yds to the Rutgr 34
  • Great short pass over the middle to Jones
  • 2nd & 1 at RUTG 34​

(5:26 - 1st) Evan Simon pass complete to Samuel Brown V for no gain to the Rutgr 34
  • Good short pass in flat under extreme pressure again.
  • 1st & 10 at RUTG 38​

(5:26 - 1st) Evan Simon pass incomplete
  • Pass on the money to Salaam, dropped it
  • 2nd & 10 at RUTG 38​

(5:26 - 1st) Evan Simon pass complete to Johnny Langan for 4 yds to the Rutgr 42
  • Nice short pass to Johnny Football
  • 3rd & 6 at RUTG 42​

(2:42 - 1st) Evan Simon pass incomplete
  • Simon under pressure again, good pass a little bit high to Langan, but catchable, off his hands
FOURTH POSSESSION (PUNT):
  • 2nd & 7 at RUTG 40​

(15:00 - 2nd) Evan Simon pass complete to Samuel Brown V for 4 yds to the Rutgr 44
  • Nice short pass in flat
  • 3rd & 3 at RUTG 44​

(15:00 - 2nd) Evan Simon pass incomplete
  • Bad pass too high and over Long's head
FIFTH POSSESSION (FUMBLE, IOWA TD):
  • 2nd & 5 at RUTG 12​

(9:18 - 2nd) Evan Simon pass incomplete
  • Thrown over middle in tight window to Washington, batted away by DB
  • 3rd & 5 at RUTG 12​

(8:28 - 2nd) Kaevon Merriweather 30 Yd Fumble Return (Drew Stevens Kick)
  • Beautifully thrown pass to Youngblood, caught and fumbled on a hard hit by Iowa
SIXTH POSSESSION (PUNT):
  • 2nd & 9 at RUTG 26​

(8:28 - 2nd) Evan Simon pass complete to Aron Cruickshank for 17 yds to the Rutgr 43 for a 1ST down
  • Good short pass; Simon looked right, short dump off to Cruickshank for long gain.
  • 2nd & 10 at RUTG 43​

(8:28 - 2nd) Evan Simon pass complete to Samuel Brown V for 4 yds to the Rutgr 47
  • Nice swing pass to Brown for short gain

• 3rd & 6 at RUTG 47
    (8:28 - 2nd) Evan Simon pass complete to Aron Cruickshank for 1 yd to the Rutgr 48
  • Simon again under extreme pressure, middle crossing route completion

SECOND HALF:
FIRST POSSESSION (Interception):
  • 2nd & 14 at RUTG 19​

(10:04 - 3rd) Evan Simon pass complete to Chris Long for 16 yds to the Rutgr 35 for a 1ST down
  • Great completion over middle to Long; Simon shattered by Iowa DL.
  • 1st & 10 at IOWA 37​

(5:42 - 3rd) Evan Simon pass intercepted
  • This was a very bad pass by Simon into double coverage not under pressure.

SECOND POSSESSION (DOWNS):
  • 1st & 10 at RUTG 11​

(3:43 - 3rd) Evan Simon pass complete to Al-Shadee Salaam for 10 yds to the Rutgr 21 for a 1ST down
  • Good pass in flat to Salaam
  • 1st & 10 at RUTG 21​

(3:43 - 3rd) Evan Simon pass complete to Sean Ryan for 7 yds to the Rutgr 28
  • Good pass in tight window to Ryan
  • 1st & 10 at RUTG 32​

• Good throw away by Simon under extreme pressure
  • 2nd & 10 at RUTG 32​

• Dangerous pass to Ryan in tight coverage broken up
  • 3rd & 10 at RUTG 32​

(1:46 - 3rd) Evan Simon pass complete to Isaiah Washington for 7 yds to the Rutgr 39
  • Good pass to Washington
  • 4th & 3 at RUTG 39​

(1:46 - 3rd) Evan Simon pass complete to Shameen Jones for 10 yds to the Rutgr 49 for a 1ST down
  • Great pass by Simon to Jones over middle
  • 1st & 10 at RUTG 49​

(1:46 - 3rd) Evan Simon sacked by Lukas Van Ness for a loss of 2 yards to the Rutgr 47
  • More extreme pressure, almost eluded the sack
  • 2nd & 12 at RUTG 47​

(1:46 - 3rd) SIMON, Evan pass to the left incomplete intended for JONES, Shameen thrown to the IOW48; QB hurried by LEE, Logan. PENALTY IOW Personal Foul on LEE, Logan enforced 15 yards from the RUT47 to the IOW38 and results in automatic 1ST DOWN [NHSG]. NO PLAY (replay the down).
  • Incomplete, but under extreme pressure. Good thorw away
  • 1st & 10 at IOWA 38​

(1:46 - 3rd) Evan Simon pass complete to Sean Ryan for 11 yds to the Iowa 27 for a 1ST down
  • Great pass over the middle by Simon and run after catch
  • 2nd & 9 at IOWA 26​

(0:00 - 3rd) Evan Simon pass complete to Shameen Jones for 6 yds to the Iowa 20
  • Great dart thrown by Simon to sideline
  • 3rd & 3 at IOWA 20​

(15:00 - 4th) Evan Simon pass complete to Shameen Jones for 7 yds to the Iowa 13 for a 1ST down
  • Great throw by Simon on sideline pass under pressure
  • 1st & 10 at IOWA 13​

• Bad pass by Simon to Jones not under pressure
  • 2nd & 10 at IOWA 13​

(15:00 - 4th) Evan Simon pass complete to Aron Cruickshank for 6 yds to the Iowa 7
  • Fantastic pass to Cruickshank
  • 3rd & 4 at IOWA 7​

• Threw high out of bounds on tight coverage nobody else open
  • 4th & 4 at IOWA 7​

(13:46 - 4th) Evan Simon pass incomplete
  • Simon under extreme pressure, no chance to make completion

THIRD POSSESSION (TOUCHDOWN):
  • 1st & 10 at RUTG 37​

(12:17 - 4th) Evan Simon pass complete to Johnny Langan for 31 yds to the Iowa 32 for a 1ST down
  • Simon evades pressure, perfect throw to wide open Langan
  • 1st & 10 at IOWA 32​

(12:17 - 4th) Evan Simon pass complete to Aron Cruickshank for 14 yds to the Iowa 18 for a 1ST down
  • Great pass over the middle
  • 1st & 10 at IOWA 18​

• Bad pass to Langan on short pass, but Simon under pressure again (thanks LT WT again)
  • 2nd & 10 at IOWA 18​

• Simon rolls out to evade pressure right to Johnny Langan, but hit really hard and dropped
  • 3rd & 10 at IOWA 18​

(11:15 - 4th) Evan Simon pass complete to Aron Cruickshank for 18 yds for a TD, (Jude McAtamney KICK)
  • Perfect pass to Cruikshank in corner of end zone

FOURTH POSSESSION (DOWNS):
  • 1st & 10 at RUTG 25​

(6:08 - 4th) Evan Simon pass complete to Isaiah Washington for 9 yds to the Rutgr 34
  • Great throw by Simon on the run and under pressure
  • 2nd & 1 at RUTG 34​

(6:08 - 4th) Evan Simon pass complete to Aron Cruickshank for 5 yds to the Rutgr 39 for a 1ST down
  • Good throw by Simon for first down
  • 1st & 10 at RUTG 39​

(6:08 - 4th) Evan Simon pass complete to Matt Alaimo for 8 yds to the Rutgr 47
  • Nice pass to TE on the sideline for 8 yard gain
  • 2nd & 2 at RUTG 47​

(6:08 - 4th) Evan Simon pass complete to Sean Ryan for 29 yds to the Iowa 24 for a 1ST down
  • Great pass to Ryan wide open under pressure
  • 1st & 10 at IOWA 24​

(6:08 - 4th) SIMON, Evan pass to the left incomplete intended for BROWN V, Samuel thrown to the IOW20. PENALTY RUT Holding on DUNLAP JR., Curtis enforced 10 yards from the IOW24 to the IOW34 [NHSG]. NO PLAY (replay the down).
  • Throw away under pressure, holding on play (thanks again LT WT)
  • 1st & 20 at IOWA 34​

(6:08 - 4th) Evan Simon sacked by Aaron Graves for a loss of 8 yards to the Iowa 42
  • Poor Simon
  • 2nd & 28 at IOWA 42​

• On the run under pressure, had to throw it away --"protection issues" according to announcer
  • 3rd & 28 at IOWA 42​

• Pocket collapsing, great sideline throw to Langan who did not catch tough ball
  • 4th & 28 at IOWA 42​

(3:49 - 4th) Evan Simon pass incomplete
  • Under Pressure again, Hail Mary smart pass going for it.

FIFTH POSSESSION (PUNT):
  • 1st & 10 at RUTG 6​

(2:47 - 4th) Evan Simon sacked by Jay Higgins and Aaron Graves for a loss of 5 yards to the Rutgr 1
  • Thanks again OL; great job by Simon avoiding the safety
  • 3rd & 12 at RUTG 4​

(2:47 - 4th) Evan Simon pass incomplete
  • Long, bad pass overthrown by Simon

THE OFFENSIVE LINE:

Rutgers OL still has problems, which should be no surprise. The LT position is particularly problematic. Iowa has an elite defense. I will say that a few more times in this post, because some of you don't get how football works.

When an average to below average OL plays against an elite defense, you can expect it to be a long day for the team with the average to below average OL. This was evident in the running game production last night, which was well below the last games of 212, 328 and 142 yards. Our message board geniuses were screaming about the lack of a passing game in these 3 games we won.

RU faced an elite defense last night. RU had 61 yards of rushing. RU had 300 yards of passing last night with the 3rd string QB starting. Yes, he is the third string. Noah is first, and Gavin is second. They were injured and could not play.

Rutgers has had TWO 300 yard passing games against FBS opponents twice since 2016.
2016- zero;
2017-zero;
2018-zero;
2019-Art against BC in a 30-16 loss; 2020-
Vedral-381 in OT loss to Michigan; 2021- zero.
Maybe the OC should be fired for calling a 300 yard passing game.

The Offensive Line.

OL recruiting was abysmal under the previous coach:
2018- 3 OL. None playing
2019- 2 OL. One on Roster, not a starter (CJ Hanson)
2020- 3OL- One on roster, Felter second string
Schiano recruiting:
2021- 3 OL: Gus Z, second team; Tyler Needham; Kevin Toth- transferred to Kent State;
2022- 5 OL recruits.

Let's take a look at Rutgers' two deep on OL:

LT-Willie Tyler- transfer portal senior
LT- CJ Hanson - 2019 recruit

LG-Curtis Dunlap-transfer portal senior
LG-Mike Ciaffoni-transfer portal junior

OC- Ireland Brown- BC DL transfer, moved to OG in 2021; OC in 2022;
OC- Gus Z- 2021 Greg recruit

RG- DiRenzo- transfer 2022;
RG- Felter 2020

RT- Hollin Pierce- Juco transfer 2020 second full season'
RT- David Nwaogwugwu; second year Temple transfer
I agree. The problem is an OL resembles a subway turnstile many times. We need a couple of years to develop the Frosh recruited talent. Tyler, DeRenzo and Dunlap are better, but still a long way to go.

The highlighted portion is the flaw in your analysis. If your offensive line is incapable of blocking the opposing team's front four and you continue to call (1) very slow developing plays, and (2) plays where you are not providing extra pass protection ... the your offensive coordinator did not call a good game.

The verticals were baffling given the heat Simon was under. Not sure what Gleeson saw in calling those other than to try to keep the defense honest. I thought shorter/quicker passes could have helped. The Youngblood pass where he fumbled was money, but Youngblood has to do a better job protecting the ball that deep in our territory.

Reactions: Wolv RU
The highlighted portion is the flaw in your analysis. If your offensive line is incapable of blocking the opposing team's front four and you continue to call (1) very slow developing plays, and (2) plays where you are not providing extra pass protection ... the your offensive coordinator did not call a good game.
This is where your opinion is flawed. There were not a lot of deep routes. Many passes were short, in the flat and over the middle. There were very few slow developing plays called. Less than 10?

I think Gleeson went to 2 different extremes the past 2 weeks and needs to put it all together. The first drive of the game was great. The second drive arguably cost us the game and there was no reason for it. That has to be on the OC. From deep in our own end zone and an early lead, we shouldn’t have been throwing 50/50 balls. That’s when you revert to play calling like in the Temple game.

Gleeson gave Simon an easy TD on the early drive and he missed the throw. I appreciate you aren’t going to hit that every time, but we seemingly never get it. The vertical route was there on the int but Simon threw to the wrong guy. He was open on the high side. Granted, Simon was under pressure but he threw into double coverage when he didn’t need to.

I simply don’t see the upside to Simon. He’s what we have available now so of course get him better. And no doubt he’s tough. But, once healthy I think Vedral gives us a better chance to win now (if that’s the focus) and Gavin has way more upside looking to the future: Simon is clear option 3 to me.

Gleeson gave Simon an easy TD on the early drive and he missed the throw. I appreciate you aren’t going to hit that every time, but we seemingly never get it. The vertical route was there on the int but Simon threw to the wrong guy. He was open on the high side. Granted, Simon was under pressure but he threw into double coverage when he didn’t need to.

I simply don’t see the upside to Simon. He’s what we have available now so of course get him better. And no doubt he’s tough. But, once healthy I think Vedral gives us a better chance to win now (if that’s the focus) and Gavin has way more upside looking to the future: Simon is clear option 3 to me.

For sure. It’s obvious the plan was going to be to start Vedral mixing in Gavin with change of pace run option. Gavin can’t be an every down QB right now. His pass game is just not ready yet and throwing him out there to get picked off and eaten alive in conference play wouldn’t be good for his development. Now that we have an OL that isn’t awful, the Vedral/Gavin combo has potential to be effective provided Vedral is truly going to be able to return at 100% of what he was. GS said in the presser that he was available in an emergency for Iowa but wasn’t ready to be effective.

Why don't you do it, genius.
I had. I just didn’t think you needed to literally see the ugliness. Here’s a list of the possession results taken from ESPN Gametracker for the BC and Temple games, arguably two of the worst teams in FBS. Our OC put on a real clinic:

BC- 1 point victory

3 plays 2 yards PUNT 1:16

3 plays 3 yards PUNT 1:21

8 plays 32 yards PUNT 4:31

5 plays 61 yards TD 2:32

3 plays 5 yards PUNT 1:45

5 plays 25 yards PUNT 3:00

3 plays INT 1:21

1 play 1 yard 0:12

HALF

2 plays 6 yards TD ( a gimmee) 0:35

5 plays 27 yards PUNT 3:11

6 plays 43 yards FG 3:43

3 plays -3 yards PUNT 1:42

12 plays 96 yards TD (All runs) Drive of the year 5:02

4 plays 8 yards EOG 1:51

Game Totals:17 First downs, 322 total yards-212 rushing, 110 passing, 3 TDS

TEMPLE- 2 point victory

3 plays 6 yards PUNT 1:44

3 plays 5 yards PUNT 1:39

6 plays 37yards FG 2:40

3 plays 2 yards PUNT 1:57

8 plays 14 yards Missed FG 3:01

HALF

3 plays -7 yards PUNT 0:58

10 plays 46 yards FG 5:11

8 plays 24 yards FG 4:15

12 plays 35 yards PUNT 7:54 (WTF?)

6 plays 33 yards EOG 2:25

Game Totals: 13 First downs, 201 total yards-142 rushing, 59 passing, NO TDS

Interesting to note how well coached and prepared RU is right out of the box on their first possessions of the game and after halftime when they have their first opportunities to implement the coach’s (ahem) game plan. Also, note number of unproductive drives lasting 2 minutes or less.

No surprise that after 4 games RU is currently ranked 13th (out of 14) in total offense in the B1G, right ahead of Iowa and 13th in passing. And those stats include the gaudy numbers RU put up in the scrimmage against Wagner. Not one RU player is in the top 25 in the respective passing, rushing and receiving categories.

Side note- all world punter Adam Kokrak is off to a slow start; he currently ranks 11th in punting in the conference

I had. I just didn’t think you needed to literally see the ugliness. Here’s a list of the possession results taken from ESPN Gametracker for the BC and Temple games, arguably two of the worst teams in FBS. Our OC put on a real clinic:

BC- 1 point victory

HALF

TEMPLE- 2 point victory

HALF

Interesting to note how well coached and prepared RU is right out of the box on their first possessions of the game and after halftime when they have their first opportunities to implement the coach’s (ahem) game plan. Also, note number of unproductive drives lasting 2 minutes or less.

No surprise that after 4 games RU is currently ranked 13th (out of 14) in total offense in the B1G, right ahead of Iowa and 13th in passing. And those stats include the gaudy numbers RU put up in the scrimmage against Wagner. Not one RU player is in the top 25 in the respective passing, rushing and receiving categories.

Side note- all world punter Adam Kokrak is off to a slow start; he currently ranks 11th in punting in the conference
You can bring a horse to water but doesn't mean it'll drink it. The whole premise of this thread is absurd but at least the stupidity is on full display

Reactions: WhiteBus

The first INT was more of an unbelievable playcall by the D coordinator. They were in Cover zero with man free over the top. Well it just so happened that the man free was the corner back who picked that off. He mirrored our WR to the middle of the field and then essentially was able to play center field.
If you go back and watch the clip he peels off the guys he was covering where Simon read that he was still in man coverage. Would have been a tough read for Tom Brady

Reactions: rucoe89
The OP is a fine poster, but I just cannot agree that either the OC or the QB can be praised when the team scored only ten points and lost by three scores. Mike Tyson famously said, "Everyone has a plan until they're punched in the mouth," and giving up two touchdowns on turnovers made the plan obsolete.

Last edited:

BC- 1 point victory

HALF

TEMPLE- 2 point victory

HALF

If the offense plays like this the rest of the season, Korsak will get plenty of chances to improve his ranking.

BC- 1 point victory

HALF

TEMPLE- 2 point victory

HALF

OP is back to his crappy behavior of disputing basic facts with this excuse laden thread. They scored 10 points. They have just one offensive touchdown each in the last two games. To say anything was great about the offense in this game is void of facts. Add in his attacks on anyone that disputes his fantasy theories.

Reactions: Full Ride

BC- 1 point victory

HALF

TEMPLE- 2 point victory

HALF

We won the Temple and BC games.
You must be a lot of fun at parties.

OP is back to his crappy behavior of disputing basic facts with this excuse laden thread. They scored 10 points. They have just one offensive touchdown each in the last two games. To say anything was great about the offense in this game is void of facts. Add in his attacks on anyone that disputes his fantasy theories.
Actually, there was no offensive TD in the Temple game, so remove “ each”.

It seems to me we've had one good drive this year, and that was the winning drive against BC. We threw the ball only once on that drive, and the pass was incomplete. Every yard we gained was on the ground. That's the way we have to play, along with a few passes. It's not the way anyone else plays football these days, but it's where we are until we have improvement from the quarterback, the offensive line and the receivers. If you want, you can say that Schiano isn't recruiting well enough, but we just have to use whatever strategy we can to win some games.

Curious.. what did you say after the Temple game which was a poorly called and executed offense? Are you admitting that this game was better called and executed offense?

And you like banging ugly chicks
i-see-what-you-did-there-oh-yeah.gif

Why did our quarterback look like he was sixteen and Iowa’s like he was twenty-six?

ADVERTISEMENT