ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa is winnable

Unless we can make shots consistently we aren't going to win. They won't give us second chances on missed layups. Young needs to play smart and not turn the ball over on every possession. Harper needs to get some confidence in his shot.

Huh? Come on now. It's ridiculous to think either team will not feel urgency to win.

Did you not play sports when you were that age?

When I was their age, no matter what the physical activity, I wanted to win that activity so bad it was borderline psychotic (maybe not even borderline at times). I hated losing. Could be walking across the street and I'd hate not getting across first.

I'm guessing nobody gets to be a D1 scholarship athlete without a similarly competitive nature, at least in their chosen sport.

Both teams will feel an urgency to win. The trick, as always for all teams, will be getting the players to channel that drive productively and not allow it to lead to mistakes.
I get what you're saying, but the kids are human. They needed a win during their losing streak; they don't "need" this win. I just think they'll have a let down, and Iowa is a very good team. I hope I'm wrong. RU is certainly capable of beating them.

I get what you're saying, but the kids are human. They needed a win during their losing streak; they don't "need" this win. I just think they'll have a let down, and Iowa is a very good team. I hope I'm wrong. RU is certainly capable of beating them.
They might not have a great game. But it won't be because they don't want to win.

If the game meant absolutely nothing, they'd still want to win but the effort level might fall off some. But the game obviously means a lot to both teams. All our remaining games mean a lot to RU. The players want to make the tournament and want to get as high a seed as possible.

Winning out is a very tall order just from a probability stand point. Let's make it simple and say we have a (probably inflated on some of these) 70% chance of winning at home vs Northwestern, Indiana, and Maryland; a 80% chance of winning at Nebraska; a 30% chance of winning at Michigan (assume their conditioning and game play is off from the layoff); and a 40% chance of winning at Iowa and at Minnesota. The odds of sweeping them all are: 0.7 * 0.7 * 0.7 * 0.8 * 0.3 * 0.4 * 0.4 = 1.3%.

Let's be far more optimistic and say we are 80% likely to win each home game plus Nebraska and bump Michigan, Iowa and Minnesota to 50% each. The odds are still only 0.8^4 * 0.5^3, or 5.1%.

At this point it is very very optimistic to hope to win out.

Beat Iowa!

As bad as they played tonight, bring the A game next Wednesday and it's doable. I noticed in their game against Ohio State tonight, when Garza gets frustrated he makes mistakes. Play our tenacious D and crash the boards we can do this. Of course the shots have to fall too

I personally think OSU Is the best team RU has played this year. Iowa will rightfully be favored, but RU definitely can win this.

Winning out is a very tall order just from a probability stand point. Let's make it simple and say we have a (probably inflated on some of these) 70% chance of winning at home vs Northwestern, Indiana, and Maryland; a 80% chance of winning at Nebraska; a 30% chance of winning at Michigan (assume their conditioning and game play is off from the layoff); and a 40% chance of winning at Iowa and at Minnesota. The odds of sweeping them all are: 0.7 * 0.7 * 0.7 * 0.8 * 0.3 * 0.4 * 0.4 = 1.3%.

Let's be far more optimistic and say we are 80% likely to win each home game plus Nebraska and bump Michigan, Iowa and Minnesota to 50% each. The odds are still only 0.8^4 * 0.5^3, or 5.1%.

At this point it is very very optimistic to hope to win out.

Beat Iowa!
But let's say we beat both Iowa and UM. Doesn't that increase our odds of beating the rest based on past performance? 😀

Also you're coming up with our odds of winning based on past performance. And past performance does not guarantee future results. If we put everything together starting next Wednesday, why would our odds of victory be less than 50% against any remaining teams? Or higher?

I expect to win
Better odds for you with that expectation than my expectation that Kate Beckinsale will be paying me a visit tonight in her Underworld outfit. But I am feeling optimistic in both cases.

Reactions: Kbee3
I don't want to see Myles doubling a guard at the 3 point line vs Iowa. I suspect that was a unique twist designed for Marcus Carr. We need a different plan for Luca. Iowa did not get their typical home-cooking from refs hosting Ohio State. I fear there may be a makeup for that.

Reactions: RUChoppin
We will beat them. I’m confident of that. It’s a 7pm rather than a 9pm game where we get sluggish

Reactions: goru7
Iowa just dropped another game today to Indiana - making it 3 L's in a row. Think their gonna be focused for our game

We can't beat Garza. Myles will pick up fouls quickly and then he will go crazy on RU defense.
This game will not be close. Iowa wins this easily.

Start Doucore.. really confuse them.. bring in Myles/Cliff after 3 minutes for rest of game

Historically, we've seen Iowa get so many calls and FTs against us... scary numbers.. with Garza maybe geting 1 whistle a game. I am fearful... especially if we see Boroski there.

is this some Jedi mind trick?

Lol. Well, jedi mind tricks? Not exactly... However, I actually do believe in the reverse jinx which is why I always predict RU to lose in almost every game unless the talent differential is huge (Fairleigh Dickinson for basketball and Morgan State for football).

With that being said, Iowa wins 84-70.

We have to keep control of the pace of the game. That does not mean play at a consistently slow pace but push only when the opportunity presents itself. We need to shoot it pretty well to preclude transition breakouts by Iowa. Breakeven on the glass and hope Iowa does not shoot lights out and a we get a fair whistle. Ideally the winner only scores in the low seventies.

ADVERTISEMENT