ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Loses to 3-9 Eastern Illinois at Home

Is about to lose to a 3-9 Eastern Illinois team by 10 at home. Even without Murray that is a terrible loss and shows how easy it is to stub your toe in a non-conference game during this time of the year.
It's not easy to stub your toe that badly.. Iowa was favored by 31.5. Eastern Illinois is legit bottom 10 in kenpom.. far worse that even Lafayette was. That is an absolutely brutal, terrible loss.

A team lights up with almost 60% shooting and we still have fans wondering out loud and on the message boards, why RU and all the elite programs, focus on defense first.

Can't give up 90+ to anyone at home, even if it's a ranked opponent.

The loss to the #350 NET team is going to hurt all on its own.... but letting them shoot 60% from the floor, while you shoot 38.9% from the floor is going to kill their efficiency numbers, too.

Eastern Illinois scored 92 points on 60 attempts (and 22 FTs), and Iowa scored 82 on 72 attempts (and 32 FTs).

Higher ranked teams can't have poor shooting games and still think they will win against inferior opponents.The Rutgers game against Temple is a example.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
A team lights up with almost 60% shooting and we still have fans wondering out loud and on the message boards, why RU and all the elite programs, focus on defense first.

That’s what was shocking to me. I know Iowa isn’t known for its defense, but giving up 92 at home to a 3-9 team is insane.

My goodness, 92 points.
Iowa is always going to struggle come tournament time if they continue to play defense like this. The ducked out early last year against Richmond and then two years ago Oregon absolutely boat raced them

Couldn’t have happened to a bigger jerkoff.

I know this isn’t technically good for the Big10 and Rutgers but can’t help to love it. Wish I could have watched Franny cry all game

fran.jpg

E.Illinois shot 30-45 66.7% from 2pt, Iowa 21-39 from 2
Iowa 7-33 from 3, E. Illinois 6-15 from 3
Iowa FT 20-32, E. Illinois FT 14-22

Last edited:
As others have pointed out this is not good for the Big Ten or Rutgers. But Fran is such a douche bag, cant help but have a good laugh at this

I love the term "douche bag". hard to define what makes someone a "douche" but Fran is undoubtedly a douche bag.

He literally has, what I would call, a "resting douche face"

licensed-image

Exactly. Made the same point in another thread. People obsess over RU scoring saying it will cost them games, but not being able to play any defense can also cost you games as well

It felt like Iowa was getting killed on the break but I didn’t watch the full game. Just looked it up to confirm, they gave up 26 fast break points.
Reading through their game thread, they apparently gave up something like 6 dunks across 8 possessions. E Illinois was scoring at the rim, which I assume is why their % was so high.

Ouch.... from the ESPN article on the loss: "The Panthers were 21-of-29 after intermission (72%), including 4-of-8 from 3-point range, while the Hawkeyes went 2-of-17 behind the arc and 11-of-36 overall (31%)."

55 in 2H
72.2% FG%
out scored 32-14 in paint
out scored 19-2 in fast break

Fans calling for Fran's head after winning the B1G Tournament last year

55 in 2H
72.2% FG%
out scored 32-14 in paint
out scored 19-2 in fast break

Fans calling for Fran's head after winning the B1G Tournament last year
Wow. So Eastern Illinois was 17-21 from 2 in the second half. That’s more than 80%. Lolol. Way to motivate, Frannie! I may have to find a video of that second half!

Assists EIU 20 Iowa 14
TOs EIU 17 Iowa 11
O Rebounds EIU 7 Iowa 16
D Rebounds EIU 35 Iowa 22
Dunks EIU 11-11 Iowa 2-2 (+18)
Rim EIU 23-29 Iowa 15-24

Update NET Iowa drops from 27 to 60

Last edited:
The loss to the #350 NET team is going to hurt all on its own.... but letting them shoot 60% from the floor, while you shoot 38.9% from the floor is going to kill their efficiency numbers, too.

Eastern Illinois scored 92 points on 60 attempts (and 22 FTs), and Iowa scored 82 on 72 attempts (and 32 FTs).

Even really good Iowa teams don't play D under McCaffery!

I am not a Iowa fan and I want to throw up 92 points in 81 possessions. That is a lot of possessions. Eastern Illinois was 30-45 from 2.

Don't want to jinx this here, but I think we...........................................................

D1 athletes can do amazing things once the superior team allows them to hang around.
Just remember, every starter on Eastern Illinois would look like Bob Cousy and Dr J reincarnated, playing in what you think is a high level pick up game at the local gym 😊

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT