ADVERTISEMENT

Is any of this success impacting recruiting?

I would expect it's too soon to tell, but even before this season began, CVS signed her first 5 star recruit since Scaife: http://www.scarletknights.com/news/...signs-with-womens-basketball.aspx?path=wbball

If Scaife continues at the level she's been performing at, I bet she's a top 20 WNBA draft pick, which should help recruiting as well.

There are some excellent NJ recruits coming up in the next few years, so hopefully they realize RU is back.

Reactions: HeyHuey
I would expect it's too soon to tell, but even before this season began, CVS signed her first 5 star recruit since Scaife: http://www.scarletknights.com/news/...signs-with-womens-basketball.aspx?path=wbball

If Scaife continues at the level she's been performing at, I bet she's a top 20 WNBA draft pick, which should help recruiting as well.

There are some excellent NJ recruits coming up in the next few years, so hopefully they realize RU is back.
I'd be shocked if she's not a Top 10 pick or that theirs 4 G's better !?! She could avg 30 ppg + if she wasn't so well rounded and unselfish...

Schmuck Dolan hasn't released any info as of yet. So the new head coach Katie Smith, and the players are in limbo still. Should be news soon. Tyler may play in Europe anyway, look what it did for Erica Wheeler(all good).

There's no money in the WNBA unless you can somehow parlay it into endorsement deals. I'd hope Scaife gets picked up by an overseas team and is able to sign a good deal.

Part of my point is that the dissolution of the WNBA suddenly puts a ton of players on the street and makes it that much harder to get a job in Europe or China or wherever there are pro leagues.

There's no money in the WNBA unless you can somehow parlay it into endorsement deals. I'd hope Scaife gets picked up by an overseas team and is able to sign a good deal.
Most of the better WNBA players go to Europe to make the bucks.
The WNBA doesn't pay enough to make it worthwhile for them just to play just in that league.
I copied and pasted these two I found
1) the average salary in the WNBA starts at around $50,000 and caps at $110,000.

2) Foreign teams often pay more than WNBA teams. Some top players can earn hundreds of thousands of dollars abroad -- Diana Taurasi agreed to sit out the 2015 WNBA season to earn around $1.5 million during Russia's 2015-16 season -- but the WNBA maximum salary was $111,500 in 2016 and the average was around $75,000.Jan 25, 2017

I know the history of pro women's basketball like the back of my hand. The WNBA is not going anywhere, if anything, the NY Liberty will be sold to another owner.

Part of my point is that the dissolution of the WNBA suddenly puts a ton of players on the street and makes it that much harder to get a job in Europe or China or wherever there are pro leagues.

I know the history of pro women's basketball like the back of my hand. The WNBA is not going anywhere, if anything, the NY Liberty will be sold to another owner.
agree and unless the league folds they will make sure there's a NYC presence

No not all the teams do but there are some teams that make a profit. I believe that is reason that there are not more teams in the WNBA.

Tyler will find a home at the next level in the WNBA for the summer.

Do any of the teams show a profit?

does the emphasis that CVS has for playing defense limit who she goes after?
They certainly need more shooters.

Rutgers has shooters but she is playing the better 3 point shooter who also plays defense the way she likes (Nigia Greene). Viv is all about defense so you all should know that already, no surprise there. If you don't play defense the way she likes, you won't play, just that simple.

Although I do feel Fitzpatrick should play more because she does more than shoots the 3 point shot. She seems very fundamentally sound and she is the best passer to the post players. Just needs to be more aggressive on the offensive end, shes not out there to pass but shoot!

Regardless, we are wining and that is all that matters because its been way too long to finally feel happy about this team!... go RU.

does the emphasis that CVS has for playing defense limit who she goes after?
They certainly need more shooters.

Reactions: dmd78 and Abro1975
Maybe it’s just me but I think the WNBA should take the NWSL (women’s pro soccer) route and play in college arenas. That way you have more of a “diehard” fan following. How many Knick fans are going to Liberty games because they play in the same arena?? Likely none. But I have gone to a few Sky Blue FC games because they play in Yurcak Field on Busch campus and actually have a couple RU alums on the squad. They get good crowds too

Reactions: dmd78
This article from 2016 stated 6 of the 12 franchuises posted a profit, but Dolan was willing to hand the Liberty back to the league in 2015.
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/28/...ades-wnba-still-struggling-for-relevance.html

I think the NBA will keep propping up the WNBA for awhile to keep it from folding .
How long, if revenue doesn't improve, is anyone's guess.

As always, when sports team owners say they're losing money, assume they're lying. (Among other things, they get to depreciate players in addition to expensing their salaries.) If 6 of 12 teams are willing to admit they made money, it's probably more.

As always, when sports team owners say they're losing money, assume they're lying. (Among other things, they get to depreciate players in addition to expensing their salaries.) If 6 of 12 teams are willing to admit they made money, it's probably more.
This^^ Kind of like having rental real estate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT