ADVERTISEMENT

Is Ash in trouble?

LevaosLectures

All Conference
Jun 28, 2015
I don't know guys... This thing about KJ Gray being charged with possession and the team not telling the University seems bad.

I think he is somewhat in trouble. Part of bringing Ash in was to have an authoritative presence to prevent incidents like these happening. People are going to say it's impossible to keep track of a 100+ football players, but in the end he is ultimately responsible for what they do on and off the field.

I think he is somewhat in trouble. Part of bringing Ash in was to have an authoritative presence to prevent incidents like these happening. People are going to say it's impossible to keep track of a 100+ football players, but in the end he is ultimately responsible for what they do on and off the field.
The kid got kicked off the team. Theyre looking into kicking more players off the team if not suspending them for this episode. Idk how much more Ash couldve done to prevent this.

The kid got kicked off the team. Theyre looking into kicking more players off the team if not suspending them for this episode. Idk how much more Ash couldve done to prevent this.
The sensitivity is there after Flood. After all, most people here blame Flood for the breakins and street fight that occurred under his watch. While the biggest thing that Flood directly did was cover up positive drug tests (which is big), the other junk is most definitely associated with him. We laugh about the library incident, but that was barely an infraction if at all.

I earlier said even if Ash went 1-11 this season he wouldn’t be gone. Now I don’t know. If another half dozen players get kicked to the curb and the season spirals downhill...?

Last edited:
I hope Ash didn't kick out the kid because of a little weed and an open container that is just stupid and very minor offense.

Have more players been suspended that we don't know of yet? Perhaps the school has suspended them while the investigation is going on?

When 8-10 players on the team don’t respect their coach and team and don’t seem to fear the consequences, it’s never a good look for the program.

That being said, with RU owing Ash another $9 million through 2022, Ash is here until at least 2021 , absent a show cause situation.

Trouble of being fired right away? No. Only because of finances.

Should he be? Yes.

Is he in trouble of not being successful here? Yes. Its over for him. He's a lame duck coach. At least that's what every head coach recruiting against him will say. He wasn't a good recruiter to begin with.

It's almost impossible for Ash to turn around this program at this point, barring any miracles.

Reactions: cRURah and AshHeap
I hope Ash didn't kick out the kid because of a little weed and an open container that is just stupid and very minor offense.

I don't know for sure, but I would guess that it had more to do about trying to hide it from the coaching staff and the rest of the support staff and lying about it than the crime itself.

That is what gets people fired and kick off teams.

The football program from an outsiders perspective seems a bit out of control. I don't know what Ash could have done differently in any of these situations, but at the end of the day someone in management is going to have to be held accountable and it might just be him. I was in the corner that wins per se this year didn't matter for his immediate future, he just needs to show that the program is more competitive on the field and moving in the right direction. I am starting to change my mind, it is a shame, death by a thousand cuts.

Reactions: RUaMoose
The football program from an outsiders perspective seems a bit out of control. I don't know what Ash could have done differently in any of these situations, but at the end of the day someone in management is going to have to be held accountable and it might just be him. I was in the corner that wins per se this year didn't matter for his immediate future, he just needs to show that the program is more competitive on the field and moving in the right direction. I am starting to change my mind, it is a shame, death by a thousand cuts.
Umm, no to everything you said.
Golly, some of you need to grow a set and learn how to face the fire.

Schiano always had the respect of his players.

What you think is respect many behind the scenes will describe as ruling with an iron first. I think there were more players that were just plain afraid of him and didn't want to get in his dog house.

Reactions: Scarlet Shack
Yes, Ash is definitely in trouble. Not only has he produced horrific results on the field, but the program is now having Flood-like discipline problems.

Reactions: RUnewjersey
You said nothing, much like most of your 30,000 posts. One of the most prolific and useless posters in the history of this board.
Hey dummy, I refute and reject everything in your pussified post. Was that not clear? Program does not appear out of control. Quite the opposite.

The only ones to be held will be those that committed crimes.

Death by a thousand cuts-what a drama queen.

You said nothing, much like most of your 30,000 posts. One of the most prolific and useless posters in the history of this board.
Agree, he is awful. Went crying to the moderators about me recently because he couldn't take the heat. He knows his hero coach's days are numbered at RU, especially after these two revelations.

Reactions: 67scarlet
**********PSA**********

Remember folks don't feed the troll. Carefully place your ashes in a bucket and throw it in the trash heap.

Reactions: 17Q66
Yes, Ash is definitely in trouble. Not only has he produced horrific results on the field, but the program is now having Flood-like discipline problems.
This is just false. Ash has kept most of these guys in check and if there is an issue he boots them off the team. Theres not much else you can do, some bad apples will always be bad.

Reactions: KevH
This is just false. Ash has kept most of these guys in check and if there is an issue he boots them off the team. Theres not much else you can do, some bad apples will always be bad.
I hated Flood, but he took us to three bowls and won one as a Big Ten member. Ash has done absolutely nothing to earn my (or anyone else's) loyalty. Awful results on the field, bad recruiting and now discipline issues.

I hated Flood, but he took us to three bowls and won one as a Big Ten member. Ash has done absolutely nothing to earn my (or anyone else's) loyalty. Awful results on the field, bad recruiting and now discipline issues.

How is kicking 2 players off team, no questions asked, discipline issues?

That’s the definition of discipline. You screw up, you’re off the team.

Selective memory, Flood drove the program into the ground. It wouldn't matter if he won the national championship in his first year, the years afterword clearly had a massive downward trajectory. Ash just happened to inherit the team at its low point. Ash may not be the right guy, but comparing records is silly.

Ash may not be the right guy, but comparing records is silly.
The point is that Ash defenders have no data to back up their assertion that he's a great coach and that everyone else is "anti-RU" or "trolls." He's 6-18 with a loss to Eastern Michigan, 0 points scored against Ohio State, bad recruiting and now off-the-field problems. Yet I'm a "troll" for demanding at least 5 wins from him in his third year, which every Rutgers football coach in the last 50+ years has accomplished. LOL

All I know is that once this hit the paper I’ve been contacted by a bunch of marginal fans and observers, i.e., potential future season ticket holders, with the typical “RU in trouble again” type comments.

We can try to spin this anyway we want but it’s a really bad look.

How is kicking 2 players off team, no questions asked, discipline issues?

That’s the definition of discipline. You screw up, you’re off the team.
If it's two guys and that's it, it's not a story. And you would be right - that's the definition of discipline and while it's not good, it is what it is (this would make 5 dismissals in 2 years which is probably pretty average).

But the smoke in the air does not indicate that it's two guys. To paraphrase an earlier post in this thread from @Abro1975 if 8-10 guys or 10% of the team doesn't respect their coach or team enough to commit crimes, you've got yourself a discipline problem.

Reactions: NewJerseyGuy
What you think is respect many behind the scenes will describe as ruling with an iron first. I think there were more players that were just plain afraid of him and didn't want to get in his dog house.

Bam! And that is how you run a D-1 program with 100+ kids. You are not there to be their friend. You are there to coach them and teach them how to act properly for now and life after football.

All I know is that once this hit the paper I’ve been contacted by a bunch of marginal fans and observers, i.e., potential future season ticket holders, with the typical “RU in trouble again” type comments.

We can try to spin this anyway we want but it’s a really bad look.

No one is spinning here. This freaking sucks. There is no way around that, and now we will have a bunch of people who can't freaking wait to pile on.

But, this isn't like last time from what I can tell.

Reactions: KevH
ADVERTISEMENT