ADVERTISEMENT

Is Ash in trouble?

He was in trouble from the day he was hired. Rutgers was no place for an unproven, inexperienced head coach. Terrible hire by Hobbs.

These could be sage words. I hope not, but this possible scenario is now coming into view as we approach training camp.

Just the thought of another coaching change makes me want to duck for cover as an RU fan.

Reactions: bac2therac
The point is that Ash defenders have no data to back up their assertion that he's a great coach and that everyone else is "anti-RU" or "trolls." He's 6-18 with a loss to Eastern Michigan, 0 points scored against Ohio State, bad recruiting and now off-the-field problems. Yet I'm a "troll" for demanding at least 5 wins from him in his third year, which every Rutgers football coach in the last 50+ years has accomplished. LOL
Ok if your demanding 5 wins how about shutting up until the year is over, results are in re wins n losses, number of blowouts, etc you know the things you and the others on Ash’s ass about. Then you will have more info to either continue your rants or to stuff your mouth with a sock

Thanks for proving me right. Since there's no data available to defend Ash's record, you simply lash out at a poster who points out the facts. Whatever.
Hate to say this but your an idiot. When there is an on going investigation into a crime those involved have their hands and mouths tied untill ALL facts are in

Memo to AshHeap and his friends. Why don’t you try to get info from the other 75 kids on the team as to how they fe l about their head coach and the staff and how they feel about the potentially 8 to 10 players involved in the cc fraud possibly screwing up their season. Funny as we don’t see any media Twitter from the players. This tells me Ash has them under control and their respect

Reactions: Knightmoves
Don't feed the Troll Todd.
It’s people like him and his rants that piss me off. I have no problem with people expressing negative thoughts on the program as long as it’s in a respectful manner. They make blanket statements that are stupid

I think he is somewhat in trouble. Part of bringing Ash in was to have an authoritative presence to prevent incidents like these happening. People are going to say it's impossible to keep track of a 100+ football players, but in the end he is ultimately responsible for what they do on and off the field.
This is the most asinine comment I have ever heard in my entire life...since when is a football coach responsible for what a player does off the field...Bill Belichik responsible for Aaron Hernandez killing someone, Bill Parcells responsible for LT's drug use, Tom Coughlin responsible for Odell acting like a clown...

You clearly have an axe to grind and have no clue

This is the most asinine comment I have ever heard in my entire life...since when is a football coach responsible for what a player does off the field...Bill Belichik responsible for Aaron Hernandez killing someone, Bill Parcells responsible for LT's drug use, Tom Coughlin responsible for Odell acting like a clown...

You clearly have an axe to grind and have no clue

How is it asinine? The HC is the CEO of a team. A CEO is responsible for people working underneath them.

Reactions: Plum Street
The football program from an outsiders perspective seems a bit out of control. I don't know what Ash could have done differently in any of these situations, but at the end of the day someone in management is going to have to be held accountable and it might just be him. I was in the corner that wins per se this year didn't matter for his immediate future, he just needs to show that the program is more competitive on the field and moving in the right direction. I am starting to change my mind, it is a shame, death by a thousand cuts.
Troll
The football program from an outsiders perspective seems a bit out of control.

How did you possibly come up with this "perspective"? Either you yourself are an outsider (who is now pretending to be an RU fan) or it is your opinion and you are claiming that it is an "outsider" opinion...

but at the end of the day someone in management is going to have to be held accountable and it might just be him.

Someone in management? What is this The company Initech from Office Space, you sound like a loser, the type of person that calls the police on kids selling lemonade

I was in the corner that wins per se this year didn't matter for his immediate future, he just needs to show that the program is more competitive on the field and moving in the right direction. I am starting to change my mind, it is a shame, death by a thousand cuts.

You are nobody, you can have your opinion sure but stop feeling like you have some control or power in coaching defcisions..you have no influence on any of it...it's not a shame your opinion is worthless...you are a fake, a phony, and a coward now go away

Reactions: TRU2RU
Yes, Ash is definitely in trouble. Not only has he produced horrific results on the field, but the program is now having Flood-like discipline problems.
You are a troll,...Where on the scale do Flood like problems rank against to Paterno-like discipline problems?

Go away loser

Reactions: RUonBrain
I think he is somewhat in trouble. Part of bringing Ash in was to have an authoritative presence to prevent incidents like these happening. People are going to say it's impossible to keep track of a 100+ football players, but in the end he is ultimately responsible for what they do on and off the field.

By this measure, every coach we'll ever have will be "somewhat in trouble ". It's not IF things will happen, but how they're dealt with when they do.

Flood: poor recruiting + poor coaching + discipline problems = History's greatest monster

Ash: poor recruiting + poor coaching + discipline problems = Give the guy 5-8 more years

With that being said, every school has these problems. It's overblown on this board, but not even a blip on the national radar. Ash's tenure all comes down to W's and L's.

I don't think he's in trouble much at all but it is a "stain" (popular word here) on his record somewhat. The polish of no off the field issues under him goes away.

I think those who brush it off as you can't control everyone's actions off the field dismiss the issue too cavalierly. 1-2 guys yea you can say that but 8 if true is a bigger issue in the way you're recruiting and the type of people you're recruiting. I don't follow recruiting much at all but I'd ask were there any questionable issues with any of these guys and do they have to re-evaluate how they evaluate.

I don't recall anyone here brushing off UF's similar issues under McElwain or when Urban coached at UF and he had one off the field issue after another. Yes issues happen off the field and it's hard to control everything but if things happen en masse like this or consistent slow trickle there's an issue in something you're doing and you have to re-evaluate.

As far as job security I don't see much of an impact at this stage. He's Hobbs' hire and he'll get plenty of leeway. It'll only be an issue when it comes time to assess his record in couple years and if it's borderline something like this could push him out but if he's winning it won't matter unless more off the field stuff happens.

What priority was football for the players booted off the team? vs. what priority is football for the coaches? This board really likes to eat its own ..... the players are at fault or how about the players parents get the blame. The coaches give a player a life line and some choose to pull the coaches off a boat and into the ocean with them. If you dont know stealing is wrong by the time you get to college someones parent has dropped the ball. What makes recruiting hard at RU is you cant get away with stuff here. I'm sure our players know about what is going on at other schools and it all falls on deaf ears.

Last edited:
Reactions: koleszar
The football program from an outsiders perspective seems a bit out of control. I don't know what Ash could have done differently in any of these situations, but at the end of the day someone in management is going to have to be held accountable and it might just be him. I was in the corner that wins per se this year didn't matter for his immediate future, he just needs to show that the program is more competitive on the field and moving in the right direction. I am starting to change my mind, it is a shame, death by a thousand cuts.
Ash should know that he should be calling all police departments in surrounding towns to ask if any of his players have been arrested or otherwise had brushes with the law. This one is clearly on Ash.

Ash was a little lazy. He should spend more time on the phone with local police departments polling them.

Hmm... interesting. Is that common practice among coaches/staffs?

What you think is respect many behind the scenes will describe as ruling with an iron first. I think there were more players that were just plain afraid of him and didn't want to get in his dog house.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that.
That being said I think the players loved playing for the guy and respected him.

Troll
The football program from an outsiders perspective seems a bit out of control.

How did you possibly come up with this "perspective"? Either you yourself are an outsider (who is now pretending to be an RU fan) or it is your opinion and you are claiming that it is an "outsider" opinion...

but at the end of the day someone in management is going to have to be held accountable and it might just be him.

Someone in management? What is this The company Initech from Office Space, you sound like a loser, the type of person that calls the police on kids selling lemonade

I was in the corner that wins per se this year didn't matter for his immediate future, he just needs to show that the program is more competitive on the field and moving in the right direction. I am starting to change my mind, it is a shame, death by a thousand cuts.

You are nobody, you can have your opinion sure but stop feeling like you have some control or power in coaching defcisions..you have no influence on any of it...it's not a shame your opinion is worthless...you are a fake, a phony, and a coward now go away
You are the ultimate troll and a nobody who thinks they are somehow connected to the program because you are a fan, a season ticket holder, or donate a couple of bucks. Unless you actually work for Rutgers or are officially connected to the program other than being a season ticket holder or minor booster you are by definition an outsider, you loser. You are the type of person who when the pro teams he roots for win uses the word we, like you are somehow connected to the team as a coach or player. I am an outsider, I am a fan, I am not a delusional loser like yourself who believes that my opinions are in any way influential. However, this is a sports board, stupid, your opinion means just as much as mine, nothing, so live with it. And if you don't want to read my opinions, simple solution, DON'T!

Last edited:
Just stop already.
He has 80 plus kids on the roster, recruiting responsibilities, managing the coaches, fundraising and a lot of other stuff to do besides babysitting grown men (18 year olds are men). Let's turn the tables. How many parents do you know have kids who were smoking pot or doing things like stealing, but never got caught. If you are friends with these parents, are you going to get in their face and tell them that they are failures as parents and should be fired?
Seriously doubting you are the #1 fan of RU. Just go cheer for someone else already.

You have read my mind Knight as I go through some of these posts and at the end was about to say the same thing as you. 80+ kids plus the walk ons too. The ground rules are laid down, players need to follow them. If they choose not to, they are subject to discipline. Two have been disciplined so far. Nobody here knows the true timeline of everything going on. Some expect Ash to suspend all players involved before all facts/investigations are known/completed. If you think he is ignoring the issue, I am willing to bet he is not. As Knight stated, who of you have broken the law in some shape or form? Or your kids? Ever drive while under the influence? If you did, shame on you and even more shame on your parents for not raising you right. They had an easier job managing one to four kids and they failed. Ash is trying to keep tabs on all scholarship and walk on players who are 18+, hormone filled, young men who have the ability to make very stupid choices sometimes. Just like the criticizing posters here, their parents, and their kids have probably done in the past and will continue to do in the future. Shame on all of you. Give it a rest and support your team, its players and staff.

I hated Flood, but he took us to three bowls and won one as a Big Ten member. Ash has done absolutely nothing to earn my (or anyone else's) loyalty. Awful results on the field, bad recruiting and now discipline issues.
Terry Collins was pure garbage but the Mets somehow got to the World Series in 2015. Theres no way in hell I would have Terry Collins back as Mets manager. Same way theres no way in hell i would have Flood back because he led Rutgers to 3 non NY6 bowl games.

You are the ultimate troll and a nobody who thinks they are somehow connected to the program because you are a fan, a season ticket holder, or donate a couple of bucks. Unless you actually work for Rutgers or are officially connected to the program other than being a season ticket holder or minor booster you are by definition an outsider, you loser. You are the type of person who when the pro teams he roots for win uses the word we, like you are somehow connected to the team as a coach or player. I am an outsider, I am a fan, I am not a delusional loser like yourself who believes that my opinions are in any way influential. However, this is a sports board, stupid, your opinion means just as much as mine, nothing, so live with it. And if you don't want to read my opinions, simple solution, DON'T!
A fan is not an outsider, they are a fan of the program, they have a connection to the program, feelings involved...Chris Ash starts his press conference he thanks the fans...season ticket holders and donors are not outsiders they have a financial involvement, which is why they get special packages sent to them in the mail, someone said earlier big time donors got a personal call from Ash when this broke...the Bergen Record article today wrote two people synonymous with Rutgers football have Ash a public vote of confidence - EL and Ron Garutti - a booster - that is not an outsider...an outsider is John Doe from South Bend, Indiana who sees the sports center update...fans on this message board wouldn't be outsiders, you are registered user on a Rutgers fan club, here to get an inside scoop...

If I was talking about a Rutgers team, I'd say they played a great game yesterday, not we played a great game yesterday...if talking about the program in general, Im fine with people saying we...we have to update our facilities, we got 3 more years TIL the full BIG ten money kicks in, we gotta be in our seats by kickoff, etc...

As far as a pro team I don't have one, I root for and watch the Giants and Jets, and enjoy the prime time games, if someone asked me favorite football I say Rutgers, they look in bewilderment and say no pro team I'd say any team that has Rutgers players on it

Just stop already.
He has 80 plus kids on the roster, recruiting responsibilities, managing the coaches, fundraising and a lot of other stuff to do besides babysitting grown men (18 year olds are men). Let's turn the tables. How many parents do you know have kids who were smoking pot or doing things like stealing, but never got caught. If you are friends with these parents, are you going to get in their face and tell them that they are failures as parents and should be fired?
Seriously doubting you are the #1 fan of RU. Just go cheer for someone else already.

Lame response as usual; although not surprising.
Stop you phony protection of the shortfalls of the Coach.
You make every excuse for his pathetic Recruiting results. LMAO
Now he has no responsibility for the actions of 10 players in his Program.
Why don’t you go cheer for someone else since you are apparently living in a fantasy world.

Can’t wait to see your “have to get the last word Knight Shift” response.

A fan is not an outsider, they are a fan of the program, they have a connection to the program, feelings involved...Chris Ash starts his press conference he thanks the fans...season ticket holders and donors are not outsiders they have a financial involvement, which is why they get special packages sent to them in the mail, someone said earlier big time donors got a personal call from Ash when this broke...the Bergen Record article today wrote two people synonymous with Rutgers football have Ash a public vote of confidence - EL and Ron Garutti - a booster - that is not an outsider...an outsider is John Doe from South Bend, Indiana who sees the sports center update...fans on this message board wouldn't be outsiders, you are registered user on a Rutgers fan club, here to get an inside scoop...

If I was talking about a Rutgers team, I'd say they played a great game yesterday, not we played a great game yesterday...if talking about the program in general, Im fine with people saying we...we have to update our facilities, we got 3 more years TIL the full BIG ten money kicks in, we gotta be in our seats by kickoff, etc...

As far as a pro team I don't have one, I root for and watch the Giants and Jets, and enjoy the prime time games, if someone asked me favorite football I say Rutgers, they look in bewilderment and say no pro team I'd say any team that has Rutgers players on it
Of course a fan is an outsider, you are not part of the program no matter who much you want to believe you are and pretend you are something you are not. You are not a player, you are not a coach, you are not a trainer, you are not part of the athletic administration, hell, you are not even a member of the back office personnel. You are simply some guy who buys a ticket and sits in the stands, maybe you are an alumnus, or give a few bucks to the program, but you are not an insider in any fashion. Any idiot can buy a ticket, and we all know plenty of idiots who sit in our sections. You are an insider to your family, your church, your job, all the things that really matter in life, you are not an insider in regards to the Rutgers football program, sorry.

It’s disappointing that the mods let a couple of obvious troll douchebag retards control much of the narrative on this site. It could be a good site for semi literate fans to engage in real discussions. Not every teams site is like this. I quit premium because of this shit.

Sadly if it was not for trolls starting nonsense, this board would have no posts since the 247 exodus, that is why the mods allow the trolls to continue to post their drivel!

Sadly if it was not for trolls starting nonsense, this board would have no posts since the 247 exodus, that is why the mods allow the trolls to continue to post their drivel!
Nah, that's not the case.
From the first time I found this board ( old regime now new leadership and name ) someone is always arguing about something and seems like the unwashed hoards ( not just trolls) jump in to keep it going.
note: unwashed hoards are what each person arguing thinks of the people who they are arguing with.
This board doesn't need trolls to start an argument , sometimes just saying: "Have a nice day" does the trick
:boxing::chairshot::uzi:

Reactions: thegock
The @LevaosLectures guy has you confused.(bad form LL) Here's the real way it went down.

-Ash kicks KJ Gray and Devera off team(for credit card fraud). Press doesn't know reason yet so they go digging
-Reporter goes to each surrounding town for an open records report to find anything.
-Bam, finds out about KJ Gray being summoned in East Brunswick for drugs and open container in June.
-Reporter goes to Rutgers officials to find out if this is reason why he was kicked off the team.
-Nobody, I mean nobody from administrative to coaching staff know what the hell he's talking about. This is the 1st they've heard about it.

Turns out KJ forgot or maybe it slipped his mind:rolleyes:, that he has a responsibility to inform his coaches. Thus we find out KJ Gray is now on his 3rd strike at the ripe old age of 21 and from his tweet he's hoping for a second chance somewhere else. Or is that third chance? That aspect gets a little confusing for KJ.
He should go to Alabama. If he's any good, Saban will give him another chance. His philosophy on second chances is lauded by some.

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/ot-saban-preaches-forgiveness.147297/#post-3365812

I would imagine both sites loosened up the reins a bit during and now after the split. Seems it would make business sense.

My issue is one Troll in particular who is on at least his 3rd screen name, and the 2nd since the split.

Reactions: TRU2RU
I hated Flood, but he took us to three bowls and won one as a Big Ten member. Ash has done absolutely nothing to earn my (or anyone else's) loyalty. Awful results on the field, bad recruiting and now discipline issues.

Flood took us to bowls with players he didn’t recruit. Ash got left with the players that Flood was able to recruit and it has set this program back

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Rutgers better be getting a short list together and Schiano should be at the top of the list.
Hobbs has done a lot of good things here, but he can’t be trusted to make another football hire if ash flops. He needs some help with this.
Please stop with the Schiano needs to come back. He left us high and dry. And wasn’t able to win in a weakened big east

ADVERTISEMENT