ADVERTISEMENT

Is Ash in trouble?

You are a troll,...Where on the scale do Flood like problems rank against to Paterno-like discipline problems?

Go away loser
A kid getting summoned for drugs and an open container, and some really stupid players committing credit card fraud is no where near what went down at PSU.

Reactions: shields
Please stop with the Schiano needs to come back. He left us high and dry. And wasn’t able to win in a weakened big east

He may have left us high and dry, but the shit hit the fan ever since he did so. Would take him back in a nanosecond.

No No NO but he did have a lot disappear, for undisclosed reasons. I give him credit for that.
Seems like Schiano got rid of those who shown a tendency to misbehave before their actions forced him to and put RU in a bad light.
Discipline doesn't happen after something bad happens, it starts when a player enters the program and continues up to the time they leave.
Sometimes that discipline includes making sure some players disappear before they do harm.
images

Reactions: NickKnight 1
He may have left us high and dry, but the shit hit the fan ever since he did so. Would take him back in a nanosecond.

The crap hit the fan since he left because the BOG imposed a ridiculously low salary range for his successor and look how that turned out.

Reactions: scottsdaleal
"Have a nice day"
Aw screw you, what makes the day nice? And what about folks where it's evening or night?
The crap hit the fan since he left because the BOG imposed a ridiculously low salary range for his successor and look how that turned out.
Yep, the administrators chafed at the thought of what Schiano was making, in fact, they couldn't stand the fact that any coach should be making more than $1 million. So the proffered salary dictated we'd get no one from the outside interested in the job.

Schiano always had the respect of his players.
Oh yea that's bullshit ! My son got his unannounced call by the athletic department to report the next morning take a piss test, there were various athletes from different sports Two or three of Shiano's guys failed the test one of whom was a star player and later played in the NFL so don't tell me they respected Shiano. These guys never had a consequence for any of their actions and they could care less about the coach. Its a means to an end for most of them and they don't give a shit about the coach, only themselves.

Can anyone point out one thing Ash has done wrong in the handling of this situation so far?

This story made no impact on the national media, and if the names that have been rumored are correct then this should have basically no impact on our performance this year save for depth.

Reactions: shields
Can anyone point out one thing Ash has done wrong in the handling of this situation so far?

This story made no impact on the national media, and if the names that have been rumored are correct then this should have basically no impact on our performance this year save for depth.
He handled it the way that RU wanted him to. It’s not national media worthy because RU football is irrelevant thanks to the last couple of years. Losing 10 players will have an impact this year and next. Not sure any team can afford to have 10 players kicked off the team. Let’s hope it’s a smaller number.

He handled it the way that RU wanted him to. It’s not national media worthy because RU football is irrelevant thanks to the last couple of years. Losing 10 players will have an impact this year and next. Not sure any team can afford to have 10 players kicked off the team. Let’s hope it’s a smaller number.
I would be surprised if 10 were kicked off. There has to have been varying levels of involvement in the scheme and a few of them will likely just be suspended. More importantly though, this doesn't seem to have any immediate affect on our starter unit, thank god.

Reactions: RUbacker
I would be surprised if 10 were kicked off. There has to have been varying levels of involvement in the scheme and a few of them will likely just be suspended. More importantly though, this doesn't seem to have any immediate affect on our starter unit, thank god.

Looks like you know who the players that were involved were. Gray was a starter, who really knows if there were any starters involved until the investigation is completed.

Oh yea that's bullshit ! My son got his unannounced call by the athletic department to report the next morning take a piss test, there were various athletes from different sports Two or three of Sciano's guys failed the test one of whom was a star player and later played in the NFL so don't tell me they respected Schiano. These guys never had a consequence for any of their actions and they could care less about the coach. Its a means to an end for most of them and they don't give a shit about the coach, only themselves.
When BM came here the high school coaches, and the local NJ papers committed to being on his side, the papers became very
positive and the high school coaches dept their promises and sent their players to look at RU. Two things happened Garry
signed many NJ players, and at the same time, continuously put down the Shea players publicly, including Shea's son who promised
to stay if Schiano wanted him and Greg told him no. So sick of Schiano the team of players of Shea, lost by large
numbers like 80-3, 56 to 0 and so forth even Buffalo who Shea had to put in 3rd string at half time after leading 52 - 0. like I said two things happened, Shea players hated him and his first class of rookies were gone after one year some took two.
And I have to give credit to RU fans, NJ high school coaches and kids, and NJ papers, who backed GS all the way, even after
he proved he could not coach, even against NH and the rest of the very very easy schedule. Ge came to the right place at the right
time and I give him credit for his accomplishment, unfortunately he couldn't head coach his way out of a wet paper bag.
But i give his D.C. ability all the credit it deserves.

When BM came here the high school coaches, and the local NJ papers committed to being on his side, the papers became very
positive and the high school coaches dept their promises and sent their players to look at RU. Two things happened Garry
signed many NJ players, and at the same time, continuously put down the Shea players publicly, including Shea's son who promised
to stay if Schiano wanted him and Greg told him no. So sick of Schiano the team of players of Shea, lost by large
numbers like 80-3, 56 to 0 and so forth even Buffalo who Shea had to put in 3rd string at half time after leading 52 - 0. like I said two things happened, Shea players hated him and his first class of rookies were gone after one year some took two.
And I have to give credit to RU fans, NJ high school coaches and kids, and NJ papers, who backed GS all the way, even after
he proved he could not coach, even against NH and the rest of the very very easy schedule. Ge came to the right place at the right
time and I give him credit for his accomplishment, unfortunately he couldn't head coach his way out of a wet paper bag.
But i give his D.C. ability all the credit it deserves.

whatever.... if you judge a HC on their 1st few years on a MAJOR rebuilding project then you know nothing about football.

For whatever faults he had, Greg had us, Rutgers going to bowl games every year from 2005 until he left, besides one year The same Rutgers that last went to a bowl game in the 1970's. Greg had us... RUTGERS ranked in the TOP TEN in the AP polls in November!!!!!! That is something that, lets be 100% honest here, might not happen again for a very, very long time. Not with our schedule.

So please...

I'd feel a lot more comfortable with the direction of the football program with Greg back in charge. I would think recruiting would improve immediately.

That ship has sailed. He is not going to come back here unless it is a camp, a OSU game or to get into the Rutgers HOF. But never as a Rutgers coach.

When someone says Schiano wasn't aa good HC, I would say his gameday coaching probably left a lot to be desired in the beginning and improvement on that fault wasn't very much throughout his tenure
On the recruiting front, Greg had a lot to overcome from the Shea years and had to build relactinships with HS HCs that were destroyed by Shea's poor recruiting tactics and how the RU FB program was looked at with disrespect by the NJ HS FB coaching fraternity .
The talent level on the RU FB roster was weak and blowouts with a roster midssing the talent to compete should be expected.
Gameday coaching faults made it hard to overcome the lack of talent and avert
having some blowout games ,while building a relationship with NJ HS coaches Greg used his Florida connections to bring some of Florida's second-tier talent to RU and have better talent added to the roster while convincing NJ HS coaches to take another look at RU when recomending programs to their players.
Soon (under Schiano )Rutgers became a possible destination, instead of a place to be avoided.
Like every new HC ,Schiano nudges some players out and councled those who wanted to stay, thir place wasn't assured like it was with the previous regime.
The loss of Garrett Shea seems to be blamed on Schiano but ( someone correct me if I'm wrong) he only played the 1998 season and gave up football before the 2000 season started because of a neck injury that kept him out all of 1999 . Schiano might have told him not to try, but his injury might have prevented him from playing football again

As for Ash, he's building his type of team
and has made some mistakes doing it. But his troubles won't start until 2019 and only if RU isn't more competitive in 2018 then they were against top programs in 2017.
Some might wish differently, but ( for now) their wishes won't be fulfilled

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
Wow. So much to cover in this thread. But first, everybody take a good shot of whatever's handy or go make yourself a nice cup of tea.

Can we PLEASE stop with the Schiano BS every time anything bad happens? Most of us know his program building was remarkable, most acknowledge his game-day coaching sucked early and grew to be mediocre and most grasp that you don't turn down an NFL job no matter when it's offered. But he's not coming back, and there's no guarantee it would work if he did. Do you realize how old today's high school seniors were when he left? Besides, barring a major scandal, Ash should get a full five years. If we only allowed three, Schiano would have been fired.

Do not compare pro players getting in trouble with college players getting in trouble. Most college football players at the FBS level would not be there if it wasn't for the head coach recruiting them. Even the decent students might not have gotten in to the school, so yes, the head coach bears more responsibility when they screw up. Of course you can't police humans 24/7; nobody reasonable expects that. But when they do screw up, it looks bad for the head coach and it has to be a black mark on his record. Deal with it.

WE DO NOT KNOW HOW ASH "TURNED OUT" YET. He was a top assistant off of an Urban Meyer staff at one of the nation's great programs. You really want to say that's a horrible hire? Seriously? What "experienced" coach with a "name" was going to take this job even if the salary was higher? It would have to be among the highest in the country to get the kind of guy some of you think we should have gone after, and none of us should expect Rutgers to do that.

And can we stop with this "you're not a Rutgers fan" silliness? If you haven't figured out by now that Rutgers fans include everyone from the scarlet-colored glasses crowd who cheer every third-team all-Ocean County recruit and excuse 50-point losses to cynical Jersey guys who find something wrong with rainbows and unicorns, you haven't been paying attention. No matter what your outlook, a lot of Rutgers fans won't agree with it. Debate them, correct them, question their conclusions, but please stop with the "you're not a real Rutgers fan" thing. I don't know what a real Rutgers fan is, and I've been one since 1974.

Beat Texas State.

How he's not is a testament to the stupidity and mediocrity of the school, it's fans and the state. We will wish for Shea by the time Ash is done

I don't think you grasp how stunningly bad Shea was. Ash's team actually beat 3 Big 10 teams last year. Shea couldn't beat Temple. The OLD Temple.
Trust me i do recall very well however, she did not have any of the support that Ash does and it's not even close. Ash will go down as our worst head coach ever

I'm not sure what's funny. I don't think hes coming back but what makes you say he would never come back?

Just going by GS and Rutgers actions and comments. Both have move on, there is no bad feeling between them, but he is not coming back. It is silly and funny that it keeps getting brought up every year here since he left.

Just going by GS and Rutgers actions and comments. Both have move on, there is no bad feeling between them, but he is not coming back. It is silly and funny that it keeps getting brought up every year here since he left.
Throw enough money at him and Greg will come back. However, I don't think Rutgers would have any interest under the current regime.

He was terrible but ash is no better and worse on gamedays. ash is just awful considering the ancillary support he has. No question, anyone with half a brain and even a measure of objectivity can see that Ash, with all of the support he has, is doing a horrendous job.

Throw enough money at him and Greg will come back. However, I don't think Rutgers would have any interest under the current regime.

That and we don't have Tennessee money to throw at him even if we wanted to. Also if we did have that kind of money and the green light to spend it, I am not 100% sure he would be the best HC that we could get. Finally, he may not want to come here no matter how much we throw at him. Sometimes people just need to more on and try new things. I think that he would rather coach at a big time school with unlimited resources and support and that ain't Rutgers. Maybe it will be, but a lot would need to change. That is a whole other thread.

How about throwing said money into a proven coach who can bring Rutgers to that level that Schiano couldnt? Seriously, Schiano first 3 years at Rutgers were 2-9, 1-11, 5-7. So if you're going by todays expectations, most of you who are kissing his arse would want him out of here after those 80-7, 61-0. 50-0 losses.

If Ash is given the same amount of patience and given the chance, he may get this program in the right direction. If Ash can not do this, then give all of this money that you want to give Schiano to a proven coach who can get the job done... and maybe win an actual conference title or a NY6 Bowl game.

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
whatever.... if you judge a HC on their 1st few years on a MAJOR rebuilding project then you know nothing about football.

For whatever faults he had, Greg had us, Rutgers going to bowl games every year from 2005 until he left, besides one year The same Rutgers that last went to a bowl game in the 1970's. Greg had us... RUTGERS ranked in the TOP TEN in the AP polls in November!!!!!! That is something that, lets be 100% honest here, might not happen again for a very, very long time. Not with our schedule.

So please...[/QUOTE
Not to Greg bash, but he did all fo that in a weakened Big East. Since he never had to coach in the BIG Ten East, you can't compare Greg to Ash

rebuilding???? wtf rock are you looking under? We are not a 'major rebuilding' effort by any stretch.

Look, the guy can't coach, can't fix that

How about throwing said money into a proven coach who can bring Rutgers to that level that Schiano couldnt? Seriously, Schiano first 3 years at Rutgers were 2-9, 1-11, 5-7. So if you're going by todays expectations, most of you who are kissing his arse would want him out of here after those 80-7, 61-0. 50-0 losses.

If Ash is given the same amount of patience and given the chance, he may get this program in the right direction. If Ash can not do this, then give all of this money that you want to give Schiano to a proven coach who can get the job done... and maybe win an actual conference title or a NY6 Bowl game.
no comparison to the state of the program in Ash's first 3 years vs. Gregs and I'm no fan of Greg. Anyone trying to do that is monumentally stupid or biased beyond reach.

I agree, get a quality proven coach and stop with the assistant bs cause Ash is awful

If you guys want a big name coach why don't you donate the $4-5 million it's going to take?

If you're not then stop complaining.

Ash was the Defensive Coordinator of a National Championship team. He's not some scrub.

ADVERTISEMENT