ADVERTISEMENT

Is Ash meeting with NJ coaches regularly?

Mending many fences destroyed by the prior regime. Many, many, many fences. Now we just need to start keeping these kids. The senior-class-to-be were only frosh the last time Fudd and Co were recruiting so I would like to THINK that things start to turn, in-state, soon. Hopefully with these kids!

I started to read and maybe it is just the late hour but why did the op sound like “yahdayahdayahdayahda” to me?

Reactions: NJIT_1990
Lest us forget that Ash came in doing pretty well and it has, at best, plateaued since. So as to this he is fixing flood yadda yadda idk.
I agree that those who continue to blame Flood are losers with no heart at all. Luckily Ash is not one of those guys. He had a thin first class because he came in late. His second class was very good. This last class lacks star power but let’s see if he can evaluate talent like past coaches have. So OP is a loser and those blaming past coaches also are kind of losers really. I wish Ash and the program all the best. It’s a tough road but it can be done.

Last edited:
What year was Ash’s Top 25 class?...I must have missed the media reports...

3 bad recruiting classes (via sanctions) brought PSU to our level on the playing field.

Think about that and let it sink in.

Can we please give Ash some time to recover from the Flood......

I agree that those who continue to blame Flood are losers with no heart at all. Luckily Ash is not one of those guys. He had a thin first class because he came in late. His second class was very, very good. This last class lacks star power but let’s see if he can evaluate talent like past coaches have. We have had 2 yes only 2 Top 25 classed EVER and Ash has one of them. So OP is a loser and those blaming past coaches also are kind of losers really. I wish Ash and the program all the best. It’s a tough road but it can be done.

Oh STFU already (with the obvious shot at me ...lol) if you don’t understand the how’s and why’s of what the previous regime did to hurt in-state recruiting for an entire recruiting cycle, prior to leaving, then just admit it; no need to go on the attack just because you’re friends with Fudd.

I AND OTHERS told you Flood was destroying the program OFF and on the field, systematically, but you and others refused to believe me. Do me a favor... hope that I’m right again...and this year in-state recruiting WILL start to pick up again I promise!!

What? Makes no sense.

It only makes sense if you look at the wins and losses, which seems to be the only way people want to guage progress on this board.

Coming from a Rutgers family and having cousins who went to Ohio State, i was always proud to able to point to us being in the top 10 in APR.
It seems that under Ash we are back on track

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
What year was Ash’s Top 25 class?...I must have missed the media reports...
My bad. I forgot they dropped at the end and really don't pay much attention to the experts outside of this board and definitely none of the experts on this board.

So his 2nd class probably ranks in our Top 3-5 all time and not Top 2.

Oh STFU already (with the obvious shot at me ...lol) if you don’t understand the how’s and why’s of what the previous regime did to hurt in-state recruiting for an entire recruiting cycle, prior to leaving, then just admit it; no need to go on the attack just because you’re friends with Fudd.

I AND OTHERS told you Flood was destroying the program OFF and on the field, systematically, but you and others refused to believe me. Do me a favor... hope that I’m right again...and this year in-state recruiting WILL start to pick up again I promise!!

I am riding on your bus and smoking the same stuff you are smoking .

I am riding on your bus and smoking the same stuff you are smoking .

If you don’t think what happened here under Flood didn’t have a major affect on recruiting, down the pipeline, then I don’t know what to tell you (see: IT DID). I’m not saying that Year 1 didn’t hurt as well, IT DID, but nonetheless there were way too many bridges burned and relationships ruined while Fudd was at the helm.

Remember New Jersey kids for the most part don’t have that same loyalty to the state, let alone our school, to begin with so Burning so many of the bridges that Greg had built was a very bad thing to happen to this program.

Who are you, John Galt?
Get over it and yourself already.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
If you don’t think what happened here under Flood didn’t have a major affect on recruiting, down the pipeline, then I don’t know what to tell you (see: IT DID). I’m not saying that Year 1 didn’t hurt as well, IT DID, but nonetheless there were way too many bridges burned and relationships ruined while Fudd was at the helm.

Remember New Jersey kids for the most part don’t have that same loyalty to the state, let alone our school, to begin with so Burning so many of the bridges that Greg had built was a very bad thing to happen to this program.
Nuts you are right on. Amazing there are so many that are not capable of comprehending the damaged done by Elmer.

Reactions: Local Shill
Welcome to Rutgers, and YOUR #1 Scarlet Knights fan.

A lot of people throw sh#t on this Board and I am glad gef is a credible source.
Any reasonable fan would question Ash’s close connections to NJ HS Coaches with this Class having Zero Top 10 NJ recruits and only 2 in the Top 20.

Stick your cabbage up your Old Arse.

Rutgers needed someone to right the ship. Ash will do that.

Now, that being said, Ash doesn't have the insanely optimistic vision that Schiano did. He was maniacal. Quite a few NJ HCs really thought Schiano would have RU at a perennial Top 25 program.

Ash isn't convincing coaches of that same level of optimism.

• Haha
Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan

I see what happened. I was trying to tell you I am riding on that same bus as you, but when I mentioned smoking the funny stuff, I meant that to mean so we can enjoy that bus ride a little more. NOT that you are out of your mind. My bad. I should have just said I am 100% in your camp, and that is what I have preached here before many a time as well.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Rutgers needed someone to right the ship. Ash will do that.

Now, that being said, Ash doesn't have the insanely optimistic vision that Schiano did. He was maniacal. Quite a few NJ HCs really thought Schiano would have RU at a perennial Top 25 program.

Ash isn't convincing coaches of that same level of optimism.
Schiano was a jersey kid who knew how much we suffered as fans and how badly we all wanted a school in our state with a winning program. Ash does not have that same connection or jersey experience . Ash wants to win very badly because that is whi he is but he can’t possibly feel the way Schiano did.

Reactions: Goku
Not just you Nuts. I’ve told you and the board in general a thousand times to let it go. Just support Ash and let the past go. You’re letting the stupid anti Ash comments make you look bad with your constant bashing. You should be better than that. I know you can be. The OP loves to flame guys like you. Let it go.

I like Ash a lot. I’m also pro RU so he gets a lot of leeway from me but I think he is getting close here. I see a shot at a bowl next year.

Nuts you are right on. Amazing there are so many that are not capable of comprehending the damaged done by Elmer.

The statute of limitations on blaming Flood has run out. Some are overstating the "damage" that Flood did. Should Flood have done things better, off course. But Flood did not set us back so much that Ash shouldn't have been able to rectify the problems by now. We're on recruiting class number 4 and Year 3. Ash owns this. I don't want to hear anymore Flood this and Flood that.

It wasn't Flood who decided to hire a neophyte OC, which contributed in a large way to our 2 win season. That more than anything else, has played an outsized role in our recruiting struggles. It wasn't Flood who decided to recruit Georgia instead of Florida. It wasn't Flood who decided to take 6 recruits from NY, with few power 5 offers among them. It wasn't Flood who decided that a Jersey flavor on the coaching staff wasn't that important. It wasn't Flood who failed to adequately recruit NJ in 2017. This is all Ash, and is part of the reason why the talent level isn't where it should be.

Now Ash does have things going along in a positive trajectory, and I'm optimistic that it'll eventually get done. But we could have been much further along than we are.

The statute of limitations on blaming Flood has run out. Some are overstating the "damage" that Flood did. Should Flood have done things better, off course. But Flood did not set us back so much that Ash shouldn't have been able to rectify the problems by now. We're on recruiting class number 4 and Year 3. Ash owns this. I don't want to hear anymore Flood this and Flood that.

It wasn't Flood who decided to hire a neophyte OC, which contributed in a large way to our 2 win season. That more than anything else, has played an outsized role in our recruiting struggles. It wasn't Flood who decided to recruit Georgia instead of Florida. It wasn't Flood who decided to take 6 recruits from NY, with few power 5 offers among them. It wasn't Flood who decided that a Jersey flavor on the coaching staff wasn't that important. It wasn't Flood who failed to adequately recruit NJ in 2017. This is all Ash, and is part of the reason why the talent level isn't where it should be.

Now Ash does have things going along in a positive trajectory, and I'm optimistic that it'll eventually get done. But we could have been much further along than we are.
WOW, is this for real, or has this poster's account been hacked? Wasn't ready for that, but certainly refreshing.

My bad. I forgot they dropped at the end and really don't pay much attention to the experts outside of this board and definitely none of the experts on this board.

So his 2nd class probably ranks in our Top 3-5 all time and not Top 2.

Why does everyone care more about ranking over performance on the field? Never got this mentality. I want the kids withmajor offersand high rankings just like everyone else, but I judge recruits on field performance not their junior year in high school star number.

Why does everyone care more about ranking over performance on the field? Never got this mentality. I want the kids withmajor offersand high rankings just like everyone else, but I judge recruits on field performance not their junior year in high school star number.
If you compare the end of season top 25 over the last decade with the top 25 recruiting classes #s you will see why. Yes, there are some outliers, but it in general there is a correlation between recruiting class rankings and on field rankings. You do need great coaching, but you also need the horses. You can train a field horse all you want, but it is still going to get its ass kicked by a thoroughbred on the race track, that is just reality.

Al, Floods legacy unfortunately is still contributing to the stigma of this program. Ash does own it now and is improving the perception of the program as a whole, and that is the foundation which this program needs to be built upon.

If you compare the end of season top 25 over the last decade with the top 25 recruiting classes #s you will see why. Yes, there are some outliers, but it in general there is a correlation between recruiting class rankings and on field rankings. You do need great coaching, but you also need the horses. You can train a field horse all you want, but it is still going to get its ass kicked by a thoroughbred on the race track, that is just reality.

Thats not my point and it is the reason I mentioned I want high rank players with impressive offers. My point is should we rank the 2018 class now or on how well they do on field? You also can't compare programs where everyone is 4 or 5 stars to us. You need to look at our track record and the best classes on field have not necessarily been the best ranked. Rutgers success is going to come down to scouting and finding the right players. A few elite players mixed in but finding players who are underrated, bigger upsides, will outwork, good football IQ's, tough, can adjust to college, etc. Evaluating players with similar offer lists and picking one over another.

Thats not my point and it is the reason I mentioned I want high rank players with impressive offers. My point is should we rank the 2018 class now or on how well they do on field? You also can't compare programs where everyone is 4 or 5 stars to us. You need to look at our track record and the best classes on field have not necessarily been the best ranked. Rutgers success is going to come down to scouting and finding the right players. A few elite players mixed in but finding players who are underrated, bigger upsides, will outwork, good football IQ's, tough, can adjust to college, etc. Evaluating players with similar offer lists and picking one over another.
The answer is we should do both. You rank the class now and then you reevaluate it on a yearly basis based on play. However, just because some 2 star athletes excel on the field, doesn't discount the fact that there is a correlation between the top 25 on the field and top 25 recruiting classes. Maybe Rutgers will be an outlier, but chances are it won't be and if we continue to recruit classes ranked in the 30-50 range then in most years that is where we will end up no matter how good the coaching.

ADVERTISEMENT