ADVERTISEMENT

Is Ash meeting with NJ coaches regularly?

But if you look at the top in-state guys we have gotten like Darius and Savon, these were guys that we had been recruiting since they were in 8th or 9th grade, and were able to build a strong connection with them. That is how GS was able to sign them even after the big programs were after them. The Flood years wiped that out with recent classes.
Flood went 8-5 and kicked NCs butt in our bowl game. We also had a decent NJ recruiting class just last year. It's a non factor now. Let's Move forward.

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
The Floods legacy has little impact on the program now. The fact that we were able to bring in a Big Ten competitive class last year, shows this. But for some reason, our class slipped this year. Imo, Our less than stellar rated class reflects our performance on the field and the areas that were chosen to recruit.

Al, the players who saw the field from the '17 class (the first full recruiting class for Ash) were not significant contributors in the grand scheme of things. That is because they are inexperienced, young, and under developed. Other than the grad transfers, this means most players out there were Flood players. The way I see it, and trust me I don't want to see it this way, but even after most of his players are gone or graduated, there is still a stench in the air left behind. Kinda like deep, skid marked undies. Tough to remove that stain. Ash is using Tide and Mr. Clean though to treat the residue. It will take a few washes though.

Reactions: RUonBrain
Flood went 8-5 and kicked NCs butt in our bowl game. We also had a decent NJ recruiting class just last year. It's a non factor now. Let's Move forward.

We also had players on the team telling guys from their high schools not to go to RU because of the dysfunction on team.

I am all for moving forward and I think we will have a stronger NJ class in 2019.

Al, the players who saw the field from the '17 class (the first full recruiting class for Ash) were not significant contributors in the grand scheme of things. That is because they are inexperienced, young, and under developed. Other than the grad transfers, this means most players out there were Flood players. The way I see it, and trust me I don't want to see it this way, but even after most of his players are gone or graduated, there is still a stench in the air left behind. Kinda like deep, skid marked undies. Tough to remove that stain. Ash is using Tide and Mr. Clean though to treat the residue. It will take a few washes though.
Nobody outside of this board smells that stench. Stop talking a out it and maybe you can put it behind you.

I talk to fans of major programs all the time. Nobody mentions that name ever. They all say good things about Schiano. They all said we looked great against Washington especially on D. Many were impressed with out Purdue and MD wins. They all know we play a verY tough schedule and Ash has his work cut out for him.

NOBODY EVER mentions our last coach or other coaches besides Schiano. It is only the negative vibes that exist on this $hithole of a board. Move forward and maybe Ash will have more success recruiting.

We also had players on the team telling guys from their high schools not to go to RU because of the dysfunction on team.

I am all for moving forward and I think we will have a stronger NJ class in 2019.

That was when he was here and we had some bad apples here as well,some from two coaches ago. Last years class had 4 star NJ recruits. It's a non issue now.

Nobody outside of this board smells that stench. Stop talking a out it and maybe you can put it behind you.

I talk to fans of major programs all the time. Nobody mentions that name ever. They all say good things about Schiano. They all said we looked great against Washington especially on D. Many were impressed with out Purdue and MD wins. They all know we play a verY tough schedule and Ash has his work cut out for him.

NOBODY EVER mentions our last coach or other coaches besides Schiano. It is only the negative vibes that exist on this $hithole of a board. Move forward and maybe Ash will have more success recruiting.

I'm all about moving forward and things are getting better. But you don't think high school recruits and coaches aren't aware of the past violations, dismissals, NCAA violations, ineptitude of Hermann and Co., and the futility of the program over the past few years?? If high school players and coaches did not take those things into consideration, our recruiting classes would be much better. Our state paper is great to remind everyone of the negatives of the past very frequently. Who was at the helm during the sinking of the ship?? Kyle Flood. I agree, get past and move on. But that doesn't mean all that crap never existed and cannot be cited.

Yes we should have to read it every other post. I give up. You have a whoa is me mentality and I cannot change that. But I know when things get better you will be a happy fan so let’s just agree to disagree because we all want to win.

By the way, do you think coaches are aware of Pedd State? Way worse scenario and they send top players there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Section124
I'm all about moving forward and things are getting better. But you don't think high school recruits and coaches aren't aware of the past violations, dismissals, NCAA violations, ineptitude of Hermann and Co., and the futility of the program over the past few years?? If high school players and coaches did not take those things into consideration, our recruiting classes would be much better. Our state paper is great to remind everyone of the negatives of the past very frequently. Who was at the helm during the sinking of the ship?? Kyle Flood. I agree, get past and move on. But that doesn't mean all that crap never existed and cannot be cited.

That was 3 years and 4 recruiting classes ago. Ash has had his chance to create his own impression with recruits whether it's junior days or recruiting visits. Ronnie Hickman isn't an OSU lock because of anything Flood did, it's because he perceives tOSU, as a football product to be much better than Rutgers. There are many recruits who regard Penn State in the same manner. The battles that we need to win are against the Pitts, Boston Colleges, and Syracuses of the world.

Year 1 and 2 you can cry about Flood, but I'm not buying it anymore. Beginning this year, the majority of kids on the team are his. [Ashs]
That's why I feel he owns this. I like the player development, but For 2019, he needs to step up recruiting especially in NJ in a big way. We will need more NJ recruits ranked 11 to 30.

So let me ask you a question. At what point is it fair to start assessing Ash's performance?

Reactions: RUaMoose
If people don’t think Flood left residual damage for the first few years for whomever the next guy was then I guess they’d also say that Schiano should have had no issues his first few seasons taking over from Shea either. The lack of critical thinking is f******** amazing. That all being said, year 3 is where the ‘next guy’ starts to fully own the situation.

Joe P.

Lol...it wasn't flood out there looking lost coaching and losing to teams he should beat

Stop blaming flood

Lol...it wasn't flood out there looking lost coaching and losing to teams he should beat

Stop blaming flood

Yeahp, same with Schiano those first 3-4 years too. No excuses losing to 1-11 Buffalo, 1-AA Villanova, blowing a 17-3 lead to a lousy Temple team at home, 1-AA New Hampshire in year 4 of all things, and not landing Cushing, Jarrett, Toal and other top NJ guys. He’s lucky he made it to year 5 I guess.

Joe P.

Yeahp, same with Schiano those first 3-4 years too. No excuses losing to Buffalo, Villanova, 1-AA New Hampshire in year 4 of all things, and not landing Cushing, Jarrett, Toal and other top NJ guys. He’s lucky he made it to year 5 I guess.

Joe P.
Was just going to post the same. This board spews the same crap every time we get a new coach. A program takes time to build. We can’t buy free agents for immediate results. Alot of folks on the board wanted Schiano gone after years 2-3. Give Ash time. He is finally making the right moves. Let’s see how the next 3 years go. Being positive is healthier when you are a lifelong Rutgers fan.

the only people here making excuses are the people that support and make excuses for trASH.

there is no there is no comparison to what he inherited verse what Greg inherited. Some of you people are utterly ridiculous and devoid of any critical thinking

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
the only people here making excuses are the people that support and make excuses for trASH.

there is no there is no comparison to what he inherited verse what Greg inherited. Some of you people are utterly ridiculous and devoid of any critical thinking

You saying others lack critical thinking and are ridiculous= extreme lolz

...only “losers” blame the previous coach, right?

Joe P.

That was 3 years and 4 recruiting classes ago. Ash has had his chance to create his own impression with recruits whether it's junior days or recruiting visits. Ronnie Hickman isn't an OSU lock because of anything Flood did, it's because he perceives tOSU, as a football product to be much better than Rutgers. There are many recruits who regard Penn State in the same manner. The battles that we need to win are against the Pitts, Boston Colleges, and Syracuses of the world.

Year 1 and 2 you can cry about Flood, but I'm not buying it anymore. Beginning this year, the majority of kids on the team are his. [Ashs]
That's why I feel he owns this. I like the player development, but For 2019, he needs to step up recruiting especially in NJ in a big way. We will need more NJ recruits ranked 11 to 30.

So let me ask you a question. At what point is it fair to start assessing Ash's performance?
Pretty much anyone can except a psychotic like you Al..your opinion basically means nothing once you go on YouTube as a grown man and sing a song to a seventeen year old man, making you and our fanbase look like a complete joke.

Last edited:
Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan

You can assess Ash's performance at any point in time Al. i have no problem with that, but when the benchmark is the basement, you are expecting too much too soon. If you think Flood's fiascos don't have any impact on this program right now, I think you are wrong. Flood turned this program into a laughingstock during his tenure. If you think the 16' cut and paste class, the 17' class who are now true sophmores, and the '18 class of young, underdeveloped true freshman will be world beaters, you are as nuts as many of your game day prediction posts. I expect to see improvement this year, just like I saw improvements last year. And I expect improvements the following year. Now you want "visions "? If you and the rest of the anti Ash/Flood Lovers can't see the foundation being set by Ash after Flood razed the building, I don't know what to say. It's akin to beating a dead horse.

Al, Floods legacy unfortunately is still contributing to the stigma of this program. Ash does own it now and is improving the perception of the program as a whole, and that is the foundation which this program needs to be built upon.

The Floods legacy has little impact on the program now. The fact that we were able to bring in a Big Ten competitive class last year, shows this. But for some reason, our class slipped this year. Imo, Our less than stellar rated class reflects our performance on the field and the areas that were chosen to recruit.
We pay the least for assistants and when you factor in that number adjusted for cost of living, the gap is more extreme. Get what you pay for.

When the investment made in the program for a decades long period is not commensurate with the investment made by our competition, and the elite recruits and their networks know that, then the deck is stacked permanently against Ash (and whoever else is brought in).

At least with Ash we have someone who works something more than bankers hours ala Flood.

You’re a devoted fan so not trying to take a shot but I think your post is wildly off base.

We pay the least for assistants and when you factor in that number adjusted for cost of living, the gap is more extreme. Get what you pay for.

When the investment made in the program for a decades long period is not commensurate with the investment made by our competition, and the elite recruits and their networks know that, then the deck is stacked permanently against Ash (and whoever else is brought in).

At least with Ash we have someone who works something more than bankers hours ala Flood.

You’re a devoted fan so not trying to take a shot but I think your post is wildly off base.

I am a devoted fan, but I feel I'm also pragmatic in my approach to assessing the situation during and post Flood. I also don't think you are taking a shot. This board should be about getting their views out and having sensible dialogue on a variety of topics. You make a very valid point, and that certainly can be contributory to the problem.

3rd year would be fair. However, I wouldn't say majority of the kids on the team are now Ash. We're getting there, but it's not yet "majority."

As for recruiting, I know that you know, that we purposely did not recruit MANY of NJ's recruits who were ranked 11-30. So, that's very disingenuous.

And you're bitching about Ronnie Hickman? Really? You're right though, Ronnie Hickman DOES perceive OSU to be a much better program than Rutgers. BUT WHY DO YOU THINK THAT IS? Does all the blame go to Ash? Come on man. You're a lot smarter than that.

I also think it's very disingenuous of you not to recognize the NJ recruiting problems. You don't accept or can't understand the long lasting damage that was done and what it would take to REBUILD what was destroyed? What are you expecting exactly? For us to recruit like 2011/2012?

IT TOOK SCHIANO 10 YEARS what you want Ash to do in 2. Now who is not being fair?

Football rebuilds are notoriously slow, especially when the last coach has left a dumpster fire.

4 years min. And did not Ash just get an extension? So he is not going anywhere.

Ash, Durkin, Frost, Fleck all will need time. A soft schedule helps.

Look at Franklin. He had much better talent coming in and still took time to find Moorhead and the right recruits. He was not bringing top classes and NY bowls in year 1.

You can assess Ash's performance at any point in time Al. i have no problem with that, but when the benchmark is the basement, you are expecting too much too soon. If you think Flood's fiascos don't have any impact on this program right now, I think you are wrong. Flood turned this program into a laughingstock during his tenure. If you think the 16' cut and paste class, the 17' class who are now true sophmores, and the '18 class of young, underdeveloped true freshman will be world beaters, you are as nuts as many of your game day prediction posts. I expect to see improvement this year, just like I saw improvements last year. And I expect improvements the following year. Now you want "visions "? If you and the rest of the anti Ash/Flood Lovers can't see the foundation being set by Ash after Flood razed the building, I don't know what to say. It's akin to beating a dead horse.

I'm all for moving forward and really try my best not to mention the "F" name anymore. But I really hate the hypocrisy of these fans who once defended vociferously the former HC. I remember very distinctly how they (INCLUDING AL) defended the recruiting back then. "We have never gotten NJ's best so it's ok", "What do you expect out of the lowest paid HC in the B1G", "We are getting plenty of under the radar guys who are going to be super stars"

Low expectations back then but all of a sudden they want to recruit like Urban Meyer.

Football rebuilds are notoriously slow, especially when the last coach has left a dumpster fire.

4 years min. And did not Ash just get an extension? So he is not going anywhere.

Ash, Durkin, Frost, Fleck all will need time. A soft schedule helps.

Look at Franklin. He had much better talent coming in and still took time to find Moorhead and the right recruits. He was not bringing top classes and NY bowls in year 1.
It's 5 plus years to rebuild. If you can't take it get off the forum and do everyone a favor please.

It's 5 plus years to rebuild. If you can't take it get off the forum and do everyone a favor please.

I hope you were not talking to me. lol. Preaching to the choir.

It takes time.

I see everyone from Frost, Durkin and around the country with rebuilds although with differing goals and initial starts.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I hope you were not talking to me. lol. Preaching to the choir.

It takes time.

I see everyone from Frost, Durkin and around the country with rebuilds although with differing goals and initial starts.
Lol. No just actually talking to all the posters that can't take a long rebuild and want us to be Ohio st because we are in the big now.

Lol. No just actually talking to all the posters that can't take a long rebuild and want us to be Ohio st because we are in the big now.
What is funny is that when we first heard of the B1G invite a few of us posted that it might be 10-15 years before we were truly competitive within the conference. Boy, were we shot down by most of the other posters, especially the usual know-it-alls with more than 10k posts who said it would be only a few years before we passed MSU, Michigan, and Penn State. Maryland and Indiana we had already left standing according to them. The only program they seemed to have any respect for was OSU. How times have changed, now some of those same posters are the very ones preaching patience and mocking those who are demanding accountability. Very typical for this board.

Flood, flood, flood, flood. Don't forget the guy who hired him, his new boss, the cheap President who would not shell out $$ for him to hire able assistants, etc. Bob and the BOG reaped what they sowed. Flood should have cheated more. . .

I am a devoted fan, but I feel I'm also pragmatic in my approach to assessing the situation during and post Flood. I also don't think you are taking a shot. This board should be about getting their views out and having sensible dialogue on a variety of topics. You make a very valid point, and that certainly can be contributory to the problem.
what about post Julie and the Hobbs era? Flood, flood, flood, flood, flood, flood, flood.

Don't have to remind you! You seem obsessed with the guy. Maybe if the guy was given more resources and support, he would not have concocted his evil plan to destroy RU football.

There's not an obsession. But I do point out when I think his reign has implications on the success of the current regime. Normally, I would leave it at that, but when people argue against my post, I respond to them. I would enjoy nothing better than to have the luxury of not beating that same drum, but his name will surface because of the track record under his watch. Fortunately, from the progress which is being made, I think his name will be brought up less and less.

Reactions: JetFire JP
Just realize one important factor which certainly impacts our in state recruiting. The continuous negative vibrations doled out by this board is picked up by recruits , high school coaches ,parents of athletes and the staffs and players at competing programs. It is perfectly acceptible to critique ,quantify and express what everyone sees as the issues at Rutgers but it can and has been used against us .We as a group can do more to sell the program... not just Ash , Hobbs and staff...If Ash can’t show significant improvements in years 3-4 he will probably not make year 6–7 and beyond...It appears that many don’t want the guy to succeed and that is troubling.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUbacker and RU62
The statute of limitations on blaming Flood has run out. Some are overstating the "damage" that Flood did. Should Flood have done things better, off course. But Flood did not set us back so much that Ash shouldn't have been able to rectify the problems by now. We're on recruiting class number 4 and Year 3. Ash owns this. I don't want to hear anymore Flood this and Flood that.

It wasn't Flood who decided to hire a neophyte OC, which contributed in a large way to our 2 win season. That more than anything else, has played an outsized role in our recruiting struggles. It wasn't Flood who decided to recruit Georgia instead of Florida. It wasn't Flood who decided to take 6 recruits from NY, with few power 5 offers among them. It wasn't Flood who decided that a Jersey flavor on the coaching staff wasn't that important. It wasn't Flood who failed to adequately recruit NJ in 2017. This is all Ash, and is part of the reason why the talent level isn't where it should be.

Now Ash does have things going along in a positive trajectory, and I'm optimistic that it'll eventually get done. But we could have been much further along than we are.

Bravo Al. Well said. I will disagree about overstating the damage, but the fences should have been mended by now. Results, maybe not. But the landscape repaired to allow results to come, yes. And that means he does not have unlimited time.

Reactions: rutgersal
There's not an obsession. But I do point out when I think his reign has implications on the success of the current regime. Normally, I would leave it at that, but when people argue against my post, I respond to them. I would enjoy nothing better than to have the luxury of not beating that same drum, but his name will surface because of the track record under his watch. Fortunately, from the progress which is being made, I think his name will be brought up less and less.
Just don't forget about the decision makers who put him here, kept their collective feet on his throat with no support and the numbskull AD who had no business being an AD who also had a hand in driving the program into the ground. Just think about what Hobbs has gotten done in less time than his predecessor. I doubt he would have let a coach be hung out to dry, or if he thought the coach was not going to get it done, he would have fired him, like he did with Jordan. So again, you can blame Flood all you want, but you put a man in as head coach who should have never been hired in the first place, you give him a peanuts budget, and you turn the whole athletics department into a laughing stock, its kind of hard to hire quality coordinators and assistants. Ash is finding that out himself, and he does not have a circus sideshow as a boss.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT