ADVERTISEMENT

Is Blackshear Our 3rd Back?

RutgersMO

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2001
Rutgers & NJ @ Heart
I vote for Blackshear. Hicks should still be used...but Blackshear is our future.
He cuts well, and is either very fast or very quick (or both).

Also, we need to get more passes to Melton, Wormley (not sure if any have gone his way) & Hayek.

We have tools...we need to know how to use them.

MO

Blackshear is a special back....we have 3-4 other very good backs on this team

Hicks might have added himself to the doghouse with that fumble.
yeah but he did come back in and blow up that MS player end run so I think he may have come out of the game "net neutral".....but he sure does run hard. The competition at RB is driving these guys..

Blackshear's speed and cutting...Oh My. Melton's catch was sweet too. We have some future skill....we need to get some big mean smart dudes on the line....

Two kids I was most excited about seeing play yesterday before the game,even more so then Lewis were Blackshear and Fogg. Blackshear if you watch his HUDL tapes has unreal speed,good hands and was under recruited due to his size.He has the speed factor that RU must use and hopefully he can be the next Grant type KR..PR also.
Next was Fogg at LB,,kid was a low four star for a reason and when you watch his hudl tapes he is always at the ball,point of attack making plays,a ball hound.Yesterday he wound up with and Interception.
Blackshear has the ability to make the quickest impact as a young player for RU,just tough to get touches from scrimmage in a crowded backfield this season,but get him the ball outside in one on one matchups Coach Kill!
https://www.hudl.com/profile/4261040/raheem-blackshear

Reactions: sct1111
While I want to see Ahmir on the field and hopefully very successful in the passing game, I am split down the middle on what to expect from him. Very few people come back at the minimum 6 month time frame and are 100% ready to go. Even at 12 months, it's hard to expect a full and complete recovery. That being said, people are raving about how fast he is progressing. Let's hope for the former (quick/safe/successful) recovery, versus the latter.

yeah but he did come back in and blow up that MS player end run so I think he may have come out of the game "net neutral".....but he sure does run hard. The competition at RB is driving these guys..

Blackshear's speed and cutting...Oh My. Melton's catch was sweet too. We have some future skill....we need to get some big mean smart dudes on the line....
Not sure what play you are talking about but Fogg is 8 on D.

That was a great run by Hicks. The fumble hurts him but he is not in any doghouse. It's just a deep room.

Reactions: Caliknight
Felt real bad for Hicks on the fumble. You can tell he is running like gangbusters when he gets in, full of energy. I think he can be a weapon in the 4th quarter. I hoped they would put him back in on the next series to show confidence in him, but I believe he did get touches later in the game so hopefully all is well and he learns from this to protect the ball from behind. Blackshear does look good so even with the loss of the big three we should be ok next year.

I would like to see a specialty package with Gio and Hicks on short yardage, doing the option, as they are both hard to take down. If they are both 3rd stringers they can practice it and get it right. Our short yardage is too predictable with a power handoff to Edwards.

I vote for Blackshear. Hicks should still be used...but Blackshear is our future.
He cuts well, and is either very fast or very quick (or both).

Also, we need to get more passes to Melton, Wormley (not sure if any have gone his way) & Hayek.

We have tools...we need to know how to use them.

MO

I agree. Blackshear was very impressive yesterday -- great cutting ability and vision. Now, that was against admittedly weak competition. But, the mods have been saying he's been impressive in practice all along. So, the future is bright for him.

Why are we rushing Mitchell back. I dont want to see this kid get hurt again.

Lol. You guys gotta do more research on sports injuries.

You cannot "rush back" from an ACL injury. Its practically impossible nowadays. Either youre 100% or you arent, period. No two tears are the same and everyones body responds differently depending on the type. The testing/evaluation process for these is incredibly thorough and so is the rehabilitation.

This isnt a tweaked hammy or a calf. They wouldnt even think of putting him out there if he wasnt fully healed and then some.

Lol. You guys gotta do more research on sports injuries.

You cannot "rush back" from an ACL injury. Its practically impossible nowadays. Either youre 100% or you arent, period. No two tears are the same and everyones body responds differently depending on the type. The testing/evaluation process for these is incredibly thorough and so is the rehabilitation.

This isnt a tweaked hammy or a calf. They wouldnt even think of putting him out there if he wasnt fully healed and then some.
The protocol for return to sport is you have 90% capacity in the affected leg compared to unaffected. The test with the greatest research is called the "hop test". Basically you have the patient hop in various ways and you record their speed and/or distance. If you are within 90% of the other side you are considered ready to return to sport.

The closer you are to 100% the better. Studies show returning before the 9 month mark puts you at a greater risk of reinjury as the graft is not fully mature, regardless of your hop tests.

I don't know what Ahmir has been doing in practice but you obviously don't want to put him out there right away on every down. You need a graded return.

The worst thing that could happen is obviously a retear and you want to avoid it at all costs. The more surgeries you have in your knee the greater the chance you have a shorter career and early onset arthritis. Not to mention the psychological aspects.

Reactions: Loyal-Son

That was a great run by Hicks. The fumble hurts him but he is not in any doghouse. It's just a deep room.
the run by Hicks down the right sidelines where he finished the play by knocking the MS defender on his arse?

The protocol for return to sport is you have 90% capacity in the affected leg compared to unaffected. The test with the greatest research is called the "hop test". Basically you have the patient hop in various ways and you record their speed and/or distance. If you are within 90% of the other side you are considered ready to return to sport.

The closer you are to 100% the better. Studies show returning before the 9 month mark puts you at a greater risk of reinjury as the graft is not fully mature, regardless of your hop tests.

I don't know what Ahmir has been doing in practice but you obviously don't want to put him out there right away on every down. You need a graded return.

The worst thing that could happen is obviously a retear and you want to avoid it at all costs. The more surgeries you have in your knee the greater the chance you have a shorter career and early onset arthritis. Not to mention the psychological aspects.

You are not wrong, but Like i said this is an ACL injury, and it has been handled with kid gloves. They would not bring him back to action from ACL surgery if he couldnt handle it. Studies of assorted subjects are not quite applicable here because everyones body responds to these injuries differently. Ahmir's body is the only one being discussed here.

The ugly fact of the matter is that he is going to be at risk to get hurt for the rest of his career even if he rehabbed for 3 years. He could tear his other ACL on his other leg his first day back, its happened. I understand the concern but if you dont want any chance of him re-tearing it then have him quit the game of football alltogether. The men handling his injury are professionals, lets have a bit of faith in their judgement is all.

Yeah I don't know why the other poster said "doghouse," but I'll tell you what, that was a horrible fumble and I'm willing to bet he doesn't get a single carry on Saturday ( barring complete failure by the other 3 running backs).

the run by Hicks down the right sidelines where he finished the play by knocking the MS defender on his arse?
Ok your wording was off. You said he blew up the MS player end run which sounds like defense to me.

Design a few plays for Blackshear aside from our quick screen stuff. We must run the bubble screen and such worse than any other major college team. Very seldom to we get a fast guy open for a big gain. Blackshear should be that guy. Shifty and quick enough to give us big play potential even if we don't execute.

Last edited:
Reactions: sct1111
Design a few plays for Blackshear aside from our quick screen stuff. We must run the bubble screen and such worse than any other major college team. Very seldom to we get a fast guy open for a big gain. Blackheath should be that guy. Shifty and quick enough to give us big play potential even if we don't execute.

Isn't that play pretty much all about the other receiver lined up on that side making the right right block? It seems like The blocking receiver on that play simply never, ever, executes the block properly hence constantly blowing up the play.

While I want to see Ahmir on the field and hopefully very successful in the passing game, I am split down the middle on what to expect from him. Very few people come back at the minimum 6 month time frame and are 100% ready to go. Even at 12 months, it's hard to expect a full and complete recovery. That being said, people are raving about how fast he is progressing. Let's hope for the former (quick/safe/successful) recovery, versus the latter.
I thought he said he's doing like 5 to 6 hours of rehab a day. Is that normal? I've never had an ACL injury but plenty of shoulders, back and ankle injuries playing ball. The one thing I always hated was when they hooked you up to electrodes to stimulate the muscles. For some reason it made me queasy.

Isn't that play pretty much all about the other receiver lined up on that side making the right right block? It seems like The blocking receiver on that play simply never, ever, executes the block properly hence constantly blowing up the play.
Yes part of it. Sometimes we're lucky to catch the pass period. If you don't get the initial block right, it usually goes nowhere. We just never seem to run it right. Blackshear probably would have scored on that long run, but he ran past his blockers. It was set up perfectly as a screen.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
yeah, cept as you pointed out he doesn't play defense... :fistbump: (my keyboard sucks)...
lol that's why I thought you meant Fogg. I should have just picked up the phone it would have been quicker.

BTW, he has played Defense in the past. That's why I root for him. Selfless and hardworking.

lol that's why I thought you meant Fogg. I should have just picked up the phone it would have been quicker.

BTW, he has played Defense in the past. That's why I root for him. Selfless and hardworking.
That's right. He was awesome playing DB against Army.

That kid Blackshear has Saquon Barkley vision. If he could get bigger, watch out. When you guys start using that read option with #11 and your backs, its going to get crazy. See PSU.

Let's hope that proves to be true as Barkley got away from us. Blackshear looks to be a good back who is very shifty between the big men.

Two kids I was most excited about seeing play yesterday before the game,even more so then Lewis were Blackshear and Fogg. Blackshear if you watch his HUDL tapes has unreal speed,good hands and was under recruited due to his size.He has the speed factor that RU must use and hopefully he can be the next Grant type KR..PR also.
Next was Fogg at LB,,kid was a low four star for a reason and when you watch his hudl tapes he is always at the ball,point of attack making plays,a ball hound.Yesterday he wound up with and Interception.
Blackshear has the ability to make the quickest impact as a young player for RU,just tough to get touches from scrimmage in a crowded backfield this season,but get him the ball outside in one on one matchups Coach Kill!
https://www.hudl.com/profile/4261040/raheem-blackshear
I understand it was limited time but Fogg to me looked like he could be something special.

If he isn't starting at some point this year I'd be surprised.

This frosh class looks like it could be a very good one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT