ADVERTISEMENT

Is Covid The Straw That Makes the Domers an All ACC Team?

RutgersMO

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2001
Rutgers & NJ @ Heart
Just wondering.

Thinking that the "chosen child" (spoiled rotten) may have to plan on other years of this same scenario...and it probably works to the ACC's advantage.

Thoughts?

MO

Just wondering.

Thinking that the "chosen child" (spoiled rotten) may have to plan on other years of this same scenario...and it probably works to the ACC's advantage.

Thoughts?

MO

They won't give up their TV deal for a (hopefully) 1 season problem.

Reactions: Plum Street
I don't think Notre Dame will have to join a Conference this year because of this situation.

However, they are under contract to join the ACC if they decide to join one until 2035.

I suspect the ACC will "fill out" Notre Dames schedule this year to total 10 games.

Notre Dame is already scheduled to play 6 ACC Teams this year so they will need 4 additional games (3 more ACC games if Notre Dame sill wants to play Navy).

Pitt plays Notre Dame this year and playing additional games against ND is always good for TV ratings as ND vs Clemson will show.

Interesting season if it is indeed played.

Penn State, Ohio State and Michigan will have a somewhat reduced home field advantage with reduced fan or no fan attendance (no 100,000 screaming fans).

Additionally, the SEC will no longer have a cupcake OOC schedule to build wins.

Need effective Covid 19 treatments and Vaccine to return to normal.

Stay safe.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
As a private university with a $1.3bln endowment, Sewercuse may go the way of the dodo.

There will be a massive culling of universities in the near future. Hundreds if not thousands will go out of business.

Which G5 school or conference sues first?

UConn? UMass? MAC conference?

“Some Group of Five athletic directors don’t plan to sit idly by. They wonder aloud if Power 5 programs are contractually forced to pay them at least a partial amount. One even suggested legal battles. “So do we end up in court?” the AD asked.“

“Many if not all contracts include a force majeure clause, a provision excusing one or both parties’ obligations when circumstances arise beyond their control that make the contract impossible. Like, for instance, a global pandemic. However, there could be a legal opening, suggests another Group of Five AD. In the Big Ten’s case, the conference still plans to play football—just not against conference foes. “At the end of the day, is there going to be enough reason to stand on to get out of paying the guarantees?” asks the AD.”

https://www.si.com/college/2020/07/10/college-football-buy-games-group-of-five

ND will never join the acc. When push comes to shove, they will break whatever clause they have and join the B1G. Provided the B1G will accept them. $$$

The acc is the new Big East. ND’s b*tch.

Reactions: rurahrah000
As long as it has its tv deal. ND football ain’t ever joining a conference

I saw an article about conference payouts. The ACC payout per team was below that of the B1G but still pretty high for the 14 full members. ND's payout from the ACC was just $6.5 million.

How much does ND receive per year from NBC for its contract with them? The figure I recall hearing in the past was $15,000,000 but that is probably old news by now. It would need to be at least double that to cover the shortfall between what they now receive from the ACC and what they would receive if they were a full member.

I saw an article about conference payouts. The ACC payout per team was below that of the B1G but still pretty high for the 14 full members. ND's payout from the ACC was just $6.5 million.

How much does ND receive per year from NBC for its contract with them? The figure I recall hearing in the past was $15,000,000 but that is probably old news by now. It would need to be at least double that to cover the shortfall between what they now receive from the ACC and what they would receive if they were a full member.

I am not sure if the tv number, but Notre Dame also gets a share from the ACC.
The golden domers will always remain an independent as long as the dollars and path to the playoff dictates . There is a also something cool about being an independent and not being in a conference with a Rutgers, Illinois or duke .

why--people tend to resent those that have their cake and eat it too?

People always seem pissed that ND is not in a conference.

Why?

I can think of several reasons.

1. it doesn't have to go through a brutal conference schedule and a CCG to make it into the playoffs

2. because ND has a tradition of imposing its will on other teams and conferences, such as when it tried to determine where RU could play its home games during the proposed series between the two schools. Fortunately, RU told them to forget it. Similarly, it virtually never plays its road games against Navy in Annapolis.

3. most of all, because it's ND and thinks it deserves special, preferential treatment. When you're in an all-sports conference, you can't control those things and have to - God forbid - play actual road games.

Mind you, PSU used to do similar things to the other Eastern Indies back in the days before it joined the B1G.

Reactions: Virginiarufan
I am not sure if the tv number, but Notre Dame also gets a share from the ACC.
The golden domers will always remain an independent as long as the dollars and path to the playoff dictates . There is a also something cool about being an independent and not being in a conference with a Rutgers, Illinois or duke .

They get $6.5 million from the ACC for the other sports aside from football. I looked for more recent information on what they get from NBC and it appears that ND gets $15 million per year. The full ACC payout last year was a little under $30 million per full member, so doing the math, it seems as though ND falls short from what it would get with full membership.

Just wondering.

Thoughts?

MO
You have to realize. People want to play ND. Why is this so hard to figure out. They don’t ever need to join a conference even when a world pandemic is happening.

Money . But there are other reasons .

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sp...ndependent-football/qivfp1r1sr0j1surequ5i74wu

As long as it has its tv deal. ND football ain’t ever joining a conference

If there are no games in 2020 and a cure / treatment don't happen in 2021 or 2022...ND may be forced into joining a league that would accept them as a member: the Groucho act is old / trite.

Last, if league play becomes the new normal...who is ND going to play: the ACC, AAC, B1G...pick one.

MO

They get $6.5 million from the ACC for the other sports aside from football. I looked for more recent information on what they get from NBC and it appears that ND gets $15 million per year. The full ACC payout last year was a little under $30 million per full member, so doing the math, it seems as though ND falls short from what it would get with full membership.

I also believe ND does not have to share any money they receive from their Bowl Games. Getting into the Bowl Championship Series Games is a super financial benefit for them.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Notre Dame is not that big like they were in the past. I think this forum treats them like they own CFB.
CFB is ruled by Big Five conferences than Notre Dame.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT