ADVERTISEMENT

Is Doucoure enrolled at Rutgers?

Not going to say much of anything, this has been discussed as a potential option for months and the door left open to occur, which folks have shared with mods and what I have heard months ago (assuming this article is correct).

The question is getting him cleared through the NCAA clearinghouse (similar to Kadeem Jack a few years ago), which isn't a public process....at the most the player would possibly miss is the first semester (all OOC games and the 2 B1G games in December) and is eligible for the 2nd semester for the remaining B1G games....the player should be able to work out with the team/roster and I believe full practices with the squad as well.

Game changing news if confirmed, adding another 4* kid to the rebuilding process is a nice job by the staff.

Does it make sense to start with the conference schedule and not play the First Semester rather than waiting until next year? Kadeem took a while to get into the flow by missing December games.

I guess that's why we weren't rushing to fill the last spot for this year?

Does it make sense to start with the conference schedule and not play the First Semester rather than waiting until next year? Kadeem took a while to get into the flow by missing December games.

I guess that's why we weren't rushing to fill the last spot for this year?
Agreed. If he is not eligible until second semester he should red shirt.

Reactions: sct1111
Agreed. If he is not eligible until second semester he should red shirt.

Not sure I agree with that.

Pike needs to win, and win now.

He needs to have a better record this year than last to keep showing improvement to recruits. That makes the recruiting pitch for top 2018/2019 guys much easier.

We also could really use another big this season. What if Shaq can't go at some point?

Better to sacrifice a bit of Doucoure's 1st season. Small price to pay for the dividends he can provide in the majority of the season.

Boy I am hoping he gets through the clearinghouse. If he doesn't I don't like this at all. I'm with others then he should red shirt. Which sucks because we needed a body this year it left a big hole up front.

He needs to have a better record this year than last to keep showing improvement to recruits. That makes the recruiting pitch for top 2018/2019 guys much easier.

We also could really use another big this season. What if Shaq can't go at some point?

Better to sacrifice a bit of Doucoure's 1st season. Small price to pay for the dividends he can provide in the majority of the season.

I agree with Brain. If Doucoure is eligible after the first semester, he would have practiced with and against the rest of the team and done S&C for about 5 months. I believe he would be ready to contribute to the team, and face real competition in late Dec.

This isn't football where many freshman need a year or two before they can compete gameday. He is talented, and Coach Pike will utilize Doucoure to both win some more games and to develop his game.

Reactions: RUonBrain
I am guessing this is the impact news that has gone around the past few weeks and I guess its waiting to be announced on whether he eligible immediately or 2nd semester since that apparently hasn't been determined yet.

Doucoure is becoming a more & more interesting piece of the puzzle

First - Bio info - it would be great if there was agreement on his size- seems that most are calling him 6' 9" but his weight ? 205 / 220 / 240 / 265 have a hunch the higher numbers are closer to the truth - he looks solid & physically developed in current photos

Also -after a bit of searching did find that he was born in 1998
http://www.nbadraft.net/2015-jordan-brand-classic-top-international-prospects
... so this would make him 19 - or about to be 19 before year end - some 19 year olds graduated High School in 2016 - some soon-to-be- 19 year olds in 2017 - and start college in a few weeks -

Second - Scholastic progress - certainly we don't know his GPA-don't know what his transcript looks like - and frankly, I have no idea as to how thorough, effective & efficient "Our Savior New American" is at comprehensively guiding their students toward meeting or exceeding "Full Compliance" with the NCAA requirements - nor if they have legitimate means of assisting should an athlete wish to accelerate the process.
But it would seem that one positive is continuity - based on past published items - his entire 'high school' experience has been in the US and has been in one school - so no hopping from school to school -he came to the US & Our Savior New American in later 2013
http://hoopgroup.com/elite-blog/doucoure-proving-himself-as-high-major-prospect/

History at - Our Savior New American -
2013-2014 played & listed on roster as “8th Grade”
(& mentioned in article November 27, 2013)
2014-2015 “Freshman”
2015-2016 “Sophomore”
2016-2017 “Junior”
2017-2018 “Senior”........

will be interesting to watch this all move forward.

This solves 3 major hurdles...

Another 4 year contributor that will take time to develop, but is better suited developing with Jay Young and this staff....There is only so much reality based play for a PF/C in an AAU setting, where guards typically dominate the play

Add Doucoure to the Myles Johnson duo helps both players become baselines for the front court down the road. We have two departing seniors that will need to have depth behind them...it's better to get Doucoure acclimated to the program now, defensive rotations etc.

Get Years 3-5 under this rebuild moving forward with Johnson, Doucoure and Baker learning on the job in Year 2 with some veterans to help....the ability to learn and play with a couple of players while here, helps down the road.

There are some fans (so called in some cases), that don't get how far we fell and how fast Pike restored credibility in Year 1.....that was built on the baseline of a OOC slate to built confidence that helped keep RU competitive in a good chunk of B1G games.

Next step is to get this front line used to competing against B1G competition....the faster we compete and win more B1G games, is the next step....RU winning 3 B1G games last year was a huge step for the program in Year One....If Doucoure can grab a couple of rebounds and learn on the job, Year 2 will be an improvement on Year 1.

Not going to say much of anything, this has been discussed as a potential option for months and the door left open to occur, which folks have shared with mods and what I have heard months ago (assuming this article is correct).

The question is getting him cleared through the NCAA clearinghouse (similar to Kadeem Jack a few years ago), which isn't a public process....at the most the player would possibly miss is the first semester (all OOC games and the 2 B1G games in December) and is eligible for the 2nd semester for the remaining B1G games....the player should be able to work out with the team/roster and I believe full practices with the squad as well.

Game changing news if confirmed, adding another 4* kid to the rebuilding process is a nice job by the staff.

If he doesn't pass the clearinghouse he will have to wait until next year to play. The only way he plays second semester is if the clearinghouse is backed up and do not get to him until after the season starts. I thought he is able to play from the time he is notified not that he has to wait until the second semester.

Reactions: Local Shill
IMO let the coach make the decision .

He's in a better position to make the call than anyone else is.

It's pretty simple to me why this is a home run. ..Doorson isn't 100% and can't be counted on for 30-33-35 games and 20 -22 of those games are against B1G or good competition. If Doorson can't practice today, there's no depth behind Sa and freeman and Johnson. ..you have Nathan the walk on but for 18 B1G games, you need a big to rebound and defend. This is a no brainer to me and why it made sense 3-4 months ago as well.

Agree and if he is as good as advertised, he probably won't be here four years.

It's pretty simple to me why this is a home run. ..Doorson isn't 100% and can't be counted on for 30-33-35 games and 20 -22 of those games are against B1G or good competition. If Doorson can't practice today, there's no depth behind Sa and freeman and Johnson. ..you have Nathan the walk on but for 18 B1G games, you need a big to rebound and defend. This is a no brainer to me and why it made sense 3-4 months ago as well.

Have to imagine / suppose that careful analysis had been done as to what was required & the wheels put in motion at least "3-4 months ago" - or even more likely - well before that !

You know what I take back what I said before....Yes this hurts us for next season if he doesn't qualify....but before the Doucoure reclassification you can argue that we had the worst recruiting class in the B1G. Not that our class was bad it was that the rest of the league was that good. All of a sudden we add a top 100 player and we have a class better than a third of the league and we are right there with another 5-6 programs. I am a firm believer that you have to keep up with the Joneses to climb up in the league. We now can say we did that in 2017. If we do that in 2018 and 2019, then it becomes a when not if we finally see a postseason.

I think it is great if he comes in and can play even if he has to sit out a while. I don't think that Kadeem Jack was even able to practice in the fall. In fact I think he just enrolled in the second semester and sat out. I might be wrong on that but I think that is the way I remember it. If Doucoure can at least practice with the team until he is cleared to play he can be learning the system. Hopefully this is true and he can be eligible immediately.

I have no idea whether this news is accurate. If it is true it is a good result for RU. Doucure is better off at RU now for his development than in 2018. He is already strong, but a college conditioning program will shape his body in a manner that will make him more effective. I believe he will be a 4year player who will eventually be a very good college player.

A couple of caveats. He is not ready to be a factor in Big Ten competition. He is too raw. As a freshman he will frequently appear slow and gangly. It is simply a reflection of his need to progress. Think about the issues with Thiam last season - he certainly has skills, he just was not ready to demonstrate them against this level of competition his freshman year. I expect Thiam to show a fair amount of progress this season. The same will be true for Doucore. He will struggle as a freshman, but by his junior and senior years should be a very good college player.

His high school has had issues with the Clearinghouse so there is no guarantee he will be eligible for the second half of the season if he is here now. Regardless, nice news for RU. A very good player for the program.

The original question of
"Is Doucoure enrolled at Rutgers?"
.... has not been answered

the final 2017 Summer Session courses conclude either August 4th or 16th depending upon the course.... so if he is taking classes at RU - this may factor into the news & events timeline

It would be amusing if what Doucoure needed to fulfill the NCAA list of course requirements was say - 3 courses - and he took them at Rutgers as a not-yet-matriculated Rutgers student but as a high school student to add to his high school transcript & count toward graduation and toward the NCAA Clearinghouse's requirements.

That would certainly Check-Mate any NCAA scrutiny of the legitimacy of those courses!

I agree with dodger. He is not ready to help us next year from the video I have seen and recent reports from Russ. It would be great though to have him redshirt and be practicing with the team. It is not worth burning a shirt for a potential extra win. He is not worth 4 extra wins as a raw freshman.

I agree with dodger. He is not ready to help us next year from the video I have seen and recent reports from Russ. It would be great though to have him redshirt and be practicing with the team. It is not worth burning a shirt for a potential extra win. He is not worth 4 extra wins as a raw freshman.
He doesn't have to be an all B1G player to get us four extra wins. We desperately needed to find minutes in the paint. Doorson may still be in a boot. Without him we were looking at a season similar to two years ago where we were playing guards at the four.

I have no idea whether this news is accurate. If it is true it is a good result for RU. Doucure is better off at RU now for his development than in 2018. He is already strong, but a college conditioning program will shape his body in a manner that will make him more effective. I believe he will be a 4year player who will eventually be a very good college player.

A couple of caveats. He is not ready to be a factor in Big Ten competition. He is too raw. As a freshman he will frequently appear slow and gangly. It is simply a reflection of his need to progress. Think about the issues with Thiam last season - he certainly has skills, he just was not ready to demonstrate them against this level of competition his freshman year. I expect Thiam to show a fair amount of progress this season. The same will be true for Doucore. He will struggle as a freshman, but by his junior and senior years should be a very good college player.

His high school has had issues with the Clearinghouse so there is no guarantee he will be eligible for the second half of the season if he is here now. Regardless, nice news for RU. A very good player for the program.

Doucore and Thiam is strange analogy. They are actually nothing alike when it comes to what attributes/skills they lack and need to hone before being solid contributors in the BIG. One guy is a good shooter with a stick for a body. The other is an above average athlete with limited skills and offensive footwork. Completely different.

I wonder if the condescending posters about Doucoure reclassifying will get off their high horses when they acted soooo arrogant that this was even being discussed before

No chance he redshirts IMO. Not sure why anyone would think that. He can have a defensive and rebounding impact as a freshman and at least play some minutes. That's his floor as a freshman

Reactions: koleszar and RUsojo

This season is a wash. It's Pike's recruiting and wins next year.

I'll take the 4 extra wins in a second.

This is interesting. Peach Jam was earlier this month and there are stats for Doucoure (I wasn't there and haven't watched video). Does RU have a summer session that starts after July 14?

Or, as someone suggested he may take classes at RU to become eligible. He'd have to pay or get financial aid through another means.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT