ADVERTISEMENT

Is it too early to call Ash a failure?

rurahrah000

All Conference
Aug 21, 2010
1) His recruiting has really fallen off after the beginning of last year
2) His forte was supposed to defense and we saw how that played out last year.
3) He did not show much signs of improved coaching as the year went on.

You have to give him more than a year. Schiano's first year was a disaster. His second year was worse. It's way too early to call him a failure. In fact, recruiting is early. Our recruiting class was fine. Maybe not great but it was good enough to compete in the B1G. Iowa and Wisconsin had similar classes. And recruiting this year ... it's May. Georgia and Pitt have the same amount of recruits as we do right now. So don't hit the panic button. I can't even tell if you're being serious. Moreover, he got rid of Mehringer and hired a former B1G coach of the year. He fixed a lot of the holes with transfers. Give them a chance before writing him off.

Did you contemplate if your life was a failure when you were dumped for the first time?

2016111121401103140_sbig.jpg

While I think it's too early, poster makes some valid points. Too bad he's offended the snowflakes.
Oh, deflection by name-calling. Liberal snowflakes or conservative snowflakes?
Nobody is acting offended. The timing and premise of the thread is just plain stupid because a kid who was never truly committed to RU decided to officially decommit. And point 1 is bullshit. Point 2 is also bullshit, as the lack of offense wore out the defense and Ash was not provided with the talent to have an even playing field. And point 3 is just a stupid statement. Seeing tremendous improvement this year, and expect to see further improvement. Happy, snowflake?

Oh, deflection by name-calling. Liberal snowflakes or conservative snowflakes?
Nobody is acting offended. The timing and premise of the thread is just plain stupid because a kid who was never truly committed to RU decided to officially decommit. And point 1 is bullshit. Point 2 is also bullshit, as the lack of offense wore out the defense and Ash was not provided with the talent to have an even playing field. And point 3 is just a stupid statement. Seeing tremendous improvement this year, and expect to see further improvement. Happy, snowflake?

Point one isn't bullshit. But the reason for it was the play on the field. You explained point 2. And I don't think you can say point 3 is stupid. He made great moves in the offseason. As last season went on he didn't show much improving on the field. Off the field with the hires and grad transfers I'd give him a B.

We must wait until Saturn goes through Capricorn,Ash's Sun sign,the next three years.Rarely do you see these people fail in this situation.

In a pitcher wins pool I was in back in 1988,I picked the Reds' Danny Jackson,a Capricorn, as one of my picks.He had gone 9-18 the previous year.That year,he won 24.In 1993,I told him that from my seat behind the Phillies' dugout at Shea Stadium.He told me that even he was a little surprised at his success.

The ringed planet travels the Zodiac every 29.5 years or so.It usually screws up non-Capricorns when it travels through or opposes their sign,but for that 8 per cent of the planet,it's their time to shine.

So let's back off and let the spinning ball work its magic.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Point one isn't bullshit. But the reason for it was the play on the field. You explained point 2. And I don't think you can say point 3 is stupid. He made great moves in the offseason. As last season went on he didn't show much improving on the field. Off the field with the hires and grad transfers I'd give him a B.
I maintain point 1 is bullshit. Grade is incomplete. Waiting for Ash to meet with a teaching assistant in Princeton to see if there is anything that can be done to improve his recruiting grade. Grades are due the first week of February 2018. Let's reconvene then. 3 is stupid. He did not have the horses, particularly, linebackers. You scheme a D without linebackers. Anyway, the secondary improved quite a bit as the season went on. The OP just threw a bunch of shit against the wall without any analysis. Sorry, that's the way I see it. Don't mind constructive criticism, but back it up.

It is painfully obvious that Ash is not a miracle worker. But, as noted above, if anyone remembers Schiano Year 2, even another year as bad as last year is no guarantee of failure.

Not too soon to worry a bit, but this thread cannot be serious. Way, way, way too early to judge.

Hey knightshift: check out the posts by rubigtime and ruwoz. I guess that wasn't namecalling. But apparently you're offended by my description of them as snowflakes (and what this has to do with liberals or conservatives is beyond me), I would ascribe "snowflake" to you as well. And MADHAT: maybe you should look up the definition of "whine" and give the award to yourself instead.

Too early. Let's see how much the defense improves without running hurry up with the worst offense in the country and a punter that was lucky to net 25 yards. The recruiting is truly a bit of a concern, which is why on field improvement is paramount to future success.

Hey knightshift: check out the posts by rubigtime and ruwoz. I guess that wasn't namecalling. But apparently you're offended by my description of them as snowflakes (and what this has to do with liberals or conservatives is beyond me), I would ascribe "snowflake" to you as well. And MADHAT: maybe you should look up the definition of "whine" and give the award to yourself instead.
Sensitive are we [roll]
I'll give myself this:
9ad2616488d90f373eda512257f2d8db42ea558a.gif~c200

after seeing how you got so upset over my reply with humor pointed at your snowflake comment ( which was Whining about the comments you didn't like) :D

Ash is new/young head coach. I'm sure he's made - and will make - mistakes. GS had heavy lifting to do and so does Ash. I don't expect much this year and not much more next year. RU was a real bag of shite when Ash took over.

Reactions: scottsdaleal
too early to call him a failure. also too early to call him a success, or worse yet to anoint him as the second coming as some want to do.

opinions are like a__holes, everyone has one, lets see what happens this year before throwing any dirt on him

Being honest, I have a feeling, a gut feeling, that Ash is not going to be very successful. Don't think we can call him a failure at this point, still very new. I always thought Schiano would get it done. Ash does not exude that sense of swag that Schiano had. Plus, this is a much harder climb being in B10 East. Hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: RUaMoose
Being honest, I have a feeling, a gut feeling, that Ash is not going to be very successful. Don't think we can call him a failure at this point, still very new. I always thought Schiano would get it done. Ash does not exude that sense of swag that Schiano had. Plus, this is a much harder climb being in B10 East. Hope I'm wrong.

I agree with this. I think ash stinks, however it's too early to say he stinks. He needs time to put his imprint on the program and attempt the rebuild.

Reactions: RU4 and RUaMoose

There were just as many people calling Greg a failure after his first 1-2 years. How anyone can judge him after 1 year, while inheriting the disaster Flood left is silly. OP should be banned for asking such a dumb question

Nobody was happy with Ash's 1st year,but no one expected much better with all that Flood did to crush the program Schiano left him. I really believe that Ash will be the closest thing to Greg we could have hoped for. For sure, he's not as charismatic as Greg, and that will hurt to get some recruits,but I think as the years go by,his relationship with the media will not go down hill like it did with Greg. Trying to build a program in the B1G east division, is way harder than building a program in the old Big East. Two years from now,I think this OP post will look foolish,I hope,lol.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Yes.
Our offense was a disaster last year. Ash took a chance on rising star, but it did not pan out. So he replaced him with former B1G coach that is qualified to be our head coach. To me that speaks volumes. First time coaches building will take their lumps, but learning and addressing past mistakes is a sign of a successful person. Recruiting downturn is impacted by poor showing last season. Win/be competitive this year will have recruits believing again and problem 2 goes away. Better offense, gets Defense off the field and better recruits make us more competitive. I think all points can be fixed in next 2-3 years and in 3-4 we will be much happier.

Too early to be called a failure? How ironic, the exact same question your parents asked about you.

Reactions: newell138
there are two or three northeast college football programs that appear to have more "juice" on the recruiting trail, not counting Penn state as one.....

I will not mention by name, but it
is easy to figure out who they are...... they have head
coaches who have only been in place for a short time,
so it is an even playing field.

this is my only disappointment at this point in time, I am willing to give the actual play on the field a longer judgement.

Maybe he's counting checkers.
And golf games/holes? Yah, that's a typo in the meme, but the point stands. I lived in Michael Jordan's hometown for 2-3 years in the early 1990's. I worked with guys who played hoops with him in high school, and they said early on, he was not such a good player. Things turned out OK for him and his career.

there are two or three northeast college football programs that appear to have more "juice" on the recruiting trail, not counting Penn state as one.....

I will not mention by name, but it
is easy to figure out who they are...... they have head
coaches who have only been in place for a short time,
so it is an even playing field.

this is my only disappointment at this point in time, I am willing to give the actual play on the field a longer judgement.
Did these teams have 2-10 records?

It is way to early to judge Ash however there were no tangible improvements seen on the field last year, from the previous year, or even game to game. I will give him credit in terms of off the field "stuff" as it looks like discipline has returned and the APR is trending back up again.

Reactions: RUaMoose

Though, an obvious troll, I'll provide a few comments. Because, damn, I don't have a because, oh wait, yes I do, even trolls need a little love sometime.
1) honestly, jury is still out on him on this one. The 2-10 makes this year difficult, as did DM. Can't judge until the season is playing out. Many recruits in the wait and see.
2) already discussed but also need to add. Lost our best LB and left with guys with zero experience. Lost our 2 best DL. Makes it very tough to have a good d.
3) if you didn't see the improvement by our DB's to where we have a chance to be one of the best DB's in the B10 this year, then I don't know what you were watching. Improvements by guys like S Joseph were very noticeable. Others, most saw their first action, can't judge improvements yet. On Offense- no need to rehash the DM disaster.lets see how year 2 plays.

So, there you have it. No additional trolling needed on this until this season is playing out.

ADVERTISEMENT