ADVERTISEMENT

Is the AAC turning UConn into ODU/LaTech?

MGSA99

All American
Jan 15, 2002
Seems like they get too used to playing the cupcakes in their own conference, never getting the experience of actually having to sweat in a game. I know they try to schedule as many OOC toughies as they can, but it’s no comparison to the cakewalk they experience in the AAC. It has brought them back to earth clearly.

I also think that is an issue for them, but many of their fans don't seem to think it matters. I know Geno tries to schedule difficult OOC games, but most of those are played early in the season, so I think they do get used to beating up less competitive teams without much effort. Then when it come to handling close games, especially those that go to overtime, they aren't as well prepared as teams that have been facing more competitive teams all season. Geno really only played 6 players this year not utilizing the bench he had available, while Muffet only played 6-7 players because that is all she had that weren't injured. The Irish learned how to avoid/handle foul trouble better than the Huskies this season IMO.

Reactions: ScarletteK80
The fact that Muffet played with such a short team(no pun intended) for so long gave me a whole new respect for her. I always respected her anyway. Plus she coaches without all the freaking drama....think Mulkey, Geno(did like watching him get restrained by 92 lb Dailey), the Brenda, etc.

Reactions: highsoxguy
Agree with this, like Vegas who killed everyone in 90-91 and got to Final Four and lost to Duke. Never play a close game.

I think it's a possibility. If Geno could schedule one tough OOC game every couple of weeks during the conference season (say, 4 in all), I'm sure he'd jump at the chance, but it's very hard with other conference schedules to consider. And that assumes the AAC would accommodate him, which it might not.

The issue in the long run for LaTech and ODU was that their conferences hurt recruiting, and as the chance to reach the Final Four diminished, there was a snowball effect. UConn's nowhere near that stage now, of course, and most top players would be thrilled with 4 Final Fours and 2 championships in 4 years (not to mention that Geno is a better coach than either Wendy Larry or Leon Barmore, let along the people who replaced him at LaTech), so the drop off may never happen.

I think it's a possibility. If Geno could schedule one tough OOC game every couple of weeks during the conference season (say, 4 in all), I'm sure he'd jump at the chance, but it's very hard with other conference schedules to consider. And that assumes the AAC would accommodate him, which it might not.

The issue in the long run for LaTech and ODU was that their conferences hurt recruiting, and as the chance to reach the Final Four diminished, there was a snowball effect. UConn's nowhere near that stage now, of course, and most top players would be thrilled with 4 Final Fours and 2 championships in 4 years (not to mention that Geno is a better coach than either Wendy Larry or Leon Barmore, let along the people who replaced him at LaTech), so the drop off may never happen.
I largely agree. Of course UConn did play 3 tougher OOC games during conference (Texas, South Carolina and Louisville) but none of them ended up being challenging. I think it is the pressure, if anything, that is different in the tourney.

As to LaTech and ODU, part of what also hurt them was that, with the drop-off in recruiting it also became more difficult to schedule the strong OOC schedule, which has not been an issue for UConn - nor would it be, because for now they are much, much better than ODU / LaTech. As I think you correctly say, there may be little if any drop off while Geno is there, but who wants to follow a legend. I suspect a lot of RU fans would love Holly Warlick's problems, but they are quite real to the Tennessee faithful. I can only imagine what Geno's replacement will face.

Many fans (not all) on the UConn board found the failure to win the NC totally unacceptable. Huh?

...(not to mention that Geno is a better coach than either Wendy Larry or Leon Barmore

I disagree with the statement that Geno Auriemma is a better coach than Leon Barmore. Too tired to add any more.

I disagree with the statement that Geno Auriemma is a better coach than Leon Barmore. Too tired to add any more.

At the college level, it's hard to say that anyone other than St. Pat might be a better coach than Geno.

I think there is issue revolves around their lack of experience in close games. They can schedule tough games but if they win in blowouts it will not help them in crunch time.

Thats why they got a karma boomerrange for that riidculous 150-40 or whatever it was in the first round. Geno should be running situational plays in 2nd half of blowouts not having them run and up and down and score as much as possible

I think there is issue revolves around their lack of experience in close games. They can schedule tough games but if they win in blowouts it will not help them in crunch time.

Thats why they got a karma boomerrange for that riidculous 150-40 or whatever it was in the first round. Geno should be running situational plays in 2nd half of blowouts not having them run and up and down and score as much as possible
I didn't watch it, but apparently the team they played tried to out-run UConn and played no defense. It was how they played and how they won their conference title at their level. There was sentiment among some of the UConn fans that the coach should have been fired for trying a strategy against UConn that was, and this is true so far as it goes, doomed from the get-go. OTH - they were doomed from the get-go no matter what they did, and how, exactly, on a very modestly talented team would you change your philosophy in one week?

This was a case where I really don't blame Geno. Actually, he rarely "runs it up" even when he can. There was no point in running "situational plays" because most of the players in the game at that point were not going to be facing "situations" and his regulars had plenty of experience playing teams not much better than St. Francis in conference.

Clearly brought them back to earth? That’s classic! They’ve lost 3 games in 5 years and they’ve come back to earth? Wow! With the unreasonable expectation of winning a national championship every year, you would make a good UCONN fan. SMH.

As far as the AAC conference goes, UConn would love to get out. With our crappy football program, it’s unlikely to happen anytime soon. Hopefully, the conference will get stronger, as the Big East did. In the meantime, you’re assessment of UConn’s cupcake schedule hurting them is groundless. Didn’t they have one of the toughest SOS last season? As long as they play tough teams out of conference, what difference does it make where the cupcakes reside? You think UConn would a tough time blowing through the BIg Ten conference? I don’t.

Agree with this, like Vegas who killed everyone in 90-91 and got to Final Four and lost to Duke. Never play a close game.
You mean the Vegas that won the tournament the year before -- drilling Duke by 30 -- playing the same weak conference schedule? Yeah, not a good comparison.

I think so because they were not challenged at all that year. Close game and they lost. Agree with point that BAC made.

It is just a matter of time before UConn descends. They are just in a conference that no one really follows. They have already started the process and when the coach retires it will be over.

ADVERTISEMENT