ADVERTISEMENT

Is the RAC or the Louis Brown Athletic Center

Took Louis name off a little while back I believe.

Julie took the name off before last season or one before in hopes of drawing sponsorship (companies hire firms when they're looking for things to sponsor, and arenas named for people they usually don't look into because they assume those are "taken" so to speak). Also the reason "Home of Rutgers Basketball" was taken off the red wall above the lobby where the team photos used to be. That would someday say "Verizon Arena" or whatever. So for now "The RAC" is the name and I assume William always be no matter what they change it to, if they ever do.

Julie took the name off before last season or one before in hopes of drawing sponsorship (companies hire firms when they're looking for things to sponsor, and arenas named for people they usually don't look into because they assume those are "taken" so to speak). Also the reason "Home of Rutgers Basketball" was taken off the red wall above the lobby where the team photos used to be. That would someday say "Verizon Arena" or whatever. So for now "The RAC" is the name and I assume William always be no matter what they change it to, if they ever do.

Another nice job by JH. What a politically correct trainwreck she was.

Oh, it won't be the RAC forever, I can guaranty that. Just like High Point Solutions Stadium is not Rutgers Stadium anymore.

Permetti had already planned on dropping the name and selling rights and even said he knew fans would still call it the RAC. Except of course that was another thing that Pernetti didn't get done.

Reactions: colbert17
Oh, it won't be the RAC forever, I can guaranty that. Just like High Point Solutions Stadium is not Rutgers Stadium anymore.

For the life of me I can't understand why fans including those on this board don't call it Rutgers Stadium anymore. Let the TV guys call it what they want...

Think it would be wise for Rent-A-Center to sponsor it...

rac-logo-mobile2.png

For the life of me I can't understand why fans including those on this board don't call it Rutgers Stadium anymore. Let the TV guys call it what they want...
For the same reason we don't call Rutgers Queens College anymore. Things change.

Basically...no matter who we steal money from for naming rights, they don't understand that the fanbase will call it the RAC now and until the end of their naming rights contract
Are you saying Rutgers should turn down millions of dollars just because some fans don't want anything to change? And by the way, it is not like "The Rutgers Athletic Center" is a particularly compelling name. Things change, and that is OK.

Are you saying Rutgers should turn down millions of dollars just because some fans don't want anything to change? And by the way, it is not like "The Rutgers Athletic Center" is a particularly compelling name. Things change, and that is OK.
No I'm not..why the hell would I say that. I'm saying take any and all the money we can get. Naming rights just got us a fortune for our training facility.

Reactions: mrslate
Can't understand how the admin could just drop the name even for profit.
Officially called RAC from 1977 to 1986. Then Louis Brown (RU golf team) left a lot of money in his will to RU. Don't know what the funds were designated to be used, but they renamed the RAC to Louis Brown AC in 1986. Bummer for sure and maybe for the family.
I guess it's the old " what have you done for me lately thing " and being he passed on who would speak up. Doesn't seem right unless there is more to it.
Incidentally, there was a picture of the RAC on the cover of the Boston U vs RU football program in 1977, almost near completion.
30 years young.

Basically...no matter who we steal money from for naming rights, they don't understand that the fanbase will call it the RAC now and until the end of their naming rights contract
So true. Take the moolah and let the TV announcers call it whatever the corporate name is. I don't know anyone who called it the Louis Brown Athletic Center... and I know a lot of fans and people in the Rutgers community.

For the same reason we don't call Rutgers Queens College anymore. Things change.

Poor analogy...decision to change name to Rutgers was lasting. The name of our university is not up for sale. On the other hand, name of the stadium will change many times.

Can't understand how the admin could just drop the name even for profit.
Officially called RAC from 1977 to 1986. Then Louis Brown (RU golf team) left a lot of money in his will to RU. Don't know what the funds were designated to be used, but they renamed the RAC to Louis Brown AC in 1986. Bummer for sure and maybe for the family.
I guess it's the old " what have you done for me lately thing " and being he passed on who would speak up. Doesn't seem right unless there is more to it.
Incidentally, there was a picture of the RAC on the cover of the Boston U vs RU football program in 1977, almost near completion.
30 years young.
I think that the Louis Brown story is a little more complicated than that.

??? I realize you dont like her but I am failing to see where a shot it deserved her. One this idea was talked about for years and two no one even called it Louis Brown Athletic Center and three did anyone care that it officially wasnt the Louis Brown Athletic Center and was now the RAC

We have the time, let's hear it.
My memory is a little hazy as to the details (which may not have been appropriate for a public forum in any event), but I recall that Rutgers believed that no one would complain if Mr. Brown's name was removed from the building. Apparently no one did.

My memory is a little hazy as to the details (which may not have been appropriate for a public forum in any event), but I recall that Rutgers believed that no one would complain if Mr. Brown's name was removed from the building. Apparently no one did.
Just seems funny because if someone offers money for naming rights there must be a time period stipulated. All parties know the perimeters. But when something is left in a will, it almost sounds final.
It's like a thank you , but we got a new offer. I guess this is what happened if they removed the name.

Just seems funny because if someone offers money for naming rights there must be a time period stipulated. All parties know the perimeters. But when something is left in a will, it almost sounds final.
It's like a thank you , but we got a new offer. I guess this is what happened if they removed the name.
Sounds like the money left wasn't for a specific purpose or a prior agreement. Naming was only done as a thank you to the family.

Does anyone have a link to the rendering where they plan on installing giant hot dog rollers on the angled side of the RAC to meet demand for dollar dog day?
Probably in their plans already. One drawback, need solar panels to provide enough heat (165 degrees) for quicker cooking.
Price would then go to $ 9.00 per dog.

But both theprint and broadcast media will use he sponsored name. That's what counts.

Poor analogy...decision to change name to Rutgers was lasting. The name of our university is not up for sale. On the other hand, name of the stadium will change many times.

I'm sure Glassboro State used to think that, too. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT