ADVERTISEMENT

Football Isaih Pacheco to Kansas City Chiefs

OGC.9c7f98d3f9100e1460742fcd629dbb67

And he’s already thought about playing alongside superstar quarterback Patrick Mahomes.

“I’m ready to protect him,” Pacheco said. “Being able to execute on third down and be able to catch the ball.”

Pacheco recognized a familiar voice when he picked up his phone: Chiefs running backs coach Greg Lewis, who struck up a conversation with the RU running back at the NFL Combine in March.

“He said ‘Didn’t I tell you I was going to come get you?’” Pacheco said. “That’s when I started crying. He passed the phone to the GM (Matt Veach) and he said he was putting in the ticket (to draft me).

Love that comparison to Darren Sproles.
Sproles much more of a quick very compact back…5’ 6 1/2” and under 200 pounds and Pacheco has slightly better top end speed (going by DS’s pedestrian 4.49 40). They did both have a 33 inch vertical at the combine, so there’s that.

Pacheco is the same weight as Adrian Peterson was at the combine (of course Peterson is 3 inches taller) and ran essentially the same 40 time as Peterson ran. The big difference between the two is that Peterson had an astonishing 38 1/2” vertical which would explain AP’s practically effortless explosiveness.

And he’s already thought about playing alongside superstar quarterback Patrick Mahomes.

“I’m ready to protect him,” Pacheco said. “Being able to execute on third down and be able to catch the ball.”

Schiano saw him as a special teams player.
The thing I noticed most about him was his blocking in the backfield
He was good at picking-up blitzes and punishing a few of them
I think Mahomes would appreciate that.
Even Saquon cant block.

Reactions: Knight Shift

Pacheco recognized a familiar voice when he picked up his phone: Chiefs running backs coach Greg Lewis, who struck up a conversation with the RU running back at the NFL Combine in March.

“He said ‘Didn’t I tell you I was going to come get you?’” Pacheco said. “That’s when I started crying. He passed the phone to the GM (Matt Veach) and he said he was putting in the ticket (to draft me).

great post.. thanks.. eyes watered a bit.. must be allergies.

Schiano saw him as a special teams player.
The thing I noticed most about him was his blocking in the backfield
He was good at picking-up blitzes and punishing a few of them
I think Mahomes would appreciate that.
Even Saquon cant block.
he is more successful picking up college rushers than most.. the NFL is a different animal.. but he has heart and if he does that.. and catches the ball he'll have a nice career.

he is more successful picking up college rushers than most.. the NFL is a different animal.. but he has heart and if he does that.. and catches the ball he'll have a nice career.

The thing with blocking blitzers is to be the hammer and not the nail - the cue ball and not the 8 ball
Guys think "picking-up the blitz" means getting in the rushers way to block him (what Saquon does)
No - when you see the blitzer coming you go get him - and you bring some violence
Pacheco gets that
If you cant block a bull rush you learn to cut him.
Even the specimens hate getting cut (think academy ball)
Rushers are usually leaning and you can jujitsu them
Too many RBs think blocking is passive - Pacheco isn't one of them
Zeke Elliot is another one - probably the best blocking starting RB in NFL

The thing with blocking blitzers is to be the hammer and not the nail - the cue ball and not the 8 ball
Guys think "picking-up the blitz" means getting in the rushers way to block him (what Saquon does)
No - when you see the blitzer coming you go get him - and you bring some violence
Pacheco gets that
If you cant block a bull rush you learn to cut him.
Even the specimens hate getting cut (think academy ball)
Rushers are usually leaning and you can jujitsu them
Too many RBs think blocking is passive - Pacheco isn't one of them
Zeke Elliot is another one - probably the best blocking starting RB in NFL
well said.. and.. if Pachecko can catch.. then his move toward, say, an LB blitzer has to be played as if he may slip out for a pass.. slowing things down for that blitzer or others.

we shall see.. I am rooting for him

Reactions: ashokan
well said.. and.. if Pachecko can catch.. then his move toward, say, an LB blitzer has to be played as if he may slip out for a pass.. slowing things down for that blitzer or others.

we shall see.. I am rooting for him

When I was in HS I got moved from to DE to starting C one year
I barley knew what a blitz was and wouldn't even look for them
Toward the season end, my coach was exasperated with my failure to get blitzers
He spent 20 minutes of one practice pretty much chewing me out and humiliating me in front of everyone
He had defense blitz at me a dozen times in a row until I got things right
I was so worked-up I went after every blitzer like they were trying to mug old ladies
I was nailing guys on the spot and had them flying in the air
I got the blitz down, and made all conference and captain the next year
I attributed it all to being pounded over that 20 minutes and how to "pick-up the blitz."
Of course today I would have gone home crying and my parents would have sued

He spent 20 minutes of one practice pretty much chewing me out and humiliating me in front of everyone
I was so worked-up I went after every blitzer like they were trying to mug old ladies
I attributed it all to being pounded over that 20 minutes and how to "pick-up the blitz."
This is the one thing that makes a great OL instead of an average OL...What do you do when 8 guys are coming at you...

Reactions: beaced and Rokodesh
so you are saying he threw you out there at C and did not coach you to be a C before balling you out. Your coach EVENTUALLY actually coached you in a crash course. Not great coaching imho, but it looks like he spotted your talent and how to use you. Maybe that was harsh.. not great coaching.. he made a couple of mistakes and it's a personality thing that he blamed his mistakes on a kid.

Last edited:
so you are saying he threw you out there at C and did not coach you to be a C before balling you out. Your coach EVENTUALLY actually coached you in a crash course. Not great coaching imho, but it looks like he spotted your talent and how to use you. Maybe that was harsh.. not great coaching.. he made a couple of mistakes and it's a personality thing that he blamed his mistakes on a kid.

NY is mostly a basketball state. HS football coaching has always been weak compared to NJ. In the 70s and 80s a lot of coaches were clueless about technique etc. They had Vince Lombardi quotes in their heads, and a whistle for drills (and more drills). Our head HS coach (and we only had 2 coaches for football) was a D1 punter. He taught us "inside over linebacker" and a few traps - that was about it. Lots of other schools weren't much better (aside from New Rochelle) so it evened out. My QB went to USFL for 4 years. We had a Dallas #1 in draft, and later a pro bowler for Redskins but they had parents who were coaches

Nobody knew what a swim move was. Lots of coaches on varsity or even in college assume players know more basics than they do. I was lucky I had a JV coach who emphasized keeping head-up ("You want to hear horror stories about players that tackle with their head down!?") but otherwise I never heard about that from any other coaches including football camp with pros. I wince a lot watching what some players do in college. Luckily YouTube is amazing for technique videos these days. NJ is lucky for the good HS coaches that are there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT