ADVERTISEMENT

It’s all about getting to 6 wins this season

Just remember who did the hard work for Flood. You can thank Flood for blowing it all up.
Not really. Barchi and Julie and the clown show that was all of RU Athletics deserves equal or more credit. So tired of that silly narrative. Remember 2014, when they paid for a real offensive coordinator in Friedgen.

Last edited:
1) It would be a huge accomplishment for this team to reach a Bowl game in season two of Schiano 2.0

2) Optically it would be a big signal to recruits on which direction this program is headed in

3) 15 more practices prior to a Bowl game is big for development of our young players, especially Wimsatt

4) It would mean we went 6-1 vs. non-ranked teams. The truly “winnable” games on our schedule this season.

Just some perspective on what we’re really shooting for this season.

That said this team has won it's last game this year.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Yesterday’s margin of defeat is undoubtedly unacceptable. Especially frustrating that we continue to look impotent on offense year after year. However, I keep asking myself the same question each week: what did I expect going into this season?...
Are we 7 TDs worse than Wisconsin? No. Are we 2 TDs worse than Northwestern? No. GS has to own that. But 4-5 (1-5) is about where I had us for overall record at this point. We are devoid of talent, plain and simple. No amount of scheming and trick plays will mask men against boys in the trenches. Not against the blue bloods in this conference.

Yes. Facts is facts.

Rutgers has not been competitive against elite teams ever since it entered Big Ten. That is more than seven years.

We dress up against OSU, PSU, MSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, but when then game starts, we forget how to play basic sound football. We can't run, pass, tackle, block, etc. It is a total disaster.

No coach can fix this. It's not even a talent gap. We beat both MSU and Purdue last year and look how they are doing this year. This is a culture gap. And that can't be fixed.
Conference USA needs teams. Should we apply?

I love these "fans" who declare that we don't belong in the B1G 10 because we can't compete with the blue bloods.
A little bit of information. Since the year 2000 Vanderbilt is approximately 100 games under .500 against SEC competition. Any one saying that Vanderbilt should be kicked out.

I contend that Indiana should be expelled if we win Saturday. Here is Indiana's all time wins vs. the "blue bloods" in the B1G East including the year they first started playing.

Indiana vs Michigan St - 15 wins since 1927 (94 years)
Indiana vs Michigan - 10 wins since 1900 (121 years)
Indiana vs.Penn St. - 2 wins since 1993 (28 years)
Indiana vs. Ohio St. - 9 wins since 1904 (117 years)

A much longer record of futility in the B1G 10.

I love these "fans" who declare that we don't belong in the B1G 10 because we can't compete with the blue bloods.
A little bit of information. Since the year 2000 Vanderbilt is approximately 100 games under .500 against SEC competition. Any one saying that Vanderbilt should be kicked out.
No, but I guess we are aspiring to be vandy. It’s safe to say we don’t belong in this league right now . Maybe that changes under schiano . I think it does

1) It would be a huge accomplishment for this team to reach a Bowl game in season two of Schiano 2.0

2) Optically it would be a big signal to recruits on which direction this program is headed in

3) 15 more practices prior to a Bowl game is big for development of our young players, especially Wimsatt

4) It would mean we went 6-1 vs. non-ranked teams. The truly “winnable” games on our schedule this season.

We are not a bowl team this season but we should be by next year.

No, but I guess we are aspiring to be vandy. It’s safe to say we don’t belong in this league right now . Maybe that changes under schiano . I think it does
Nobody is aspiring to be Vanderbilt obviously. But people who think the B1G 10 is going to kick us out because right now we're non competitive in football?

IIRC.. in the preseason predictions.. 4 wins was the average guess... many hoped for 6 at the most. Even NW was an assumed loss for many.. before the season. Heck.. some thought Delaware was going to be a problem (I know I was worried at some point before some here talked me down).

It was far easier to win Big East games than what is happening against B1G opponents.Rutgers is getting manhandled at the line of scrimmage and has no pass rush and pass defense to stop long completions.There is a noticeable lack of play makers on offense and defense which gives opponents a decided advantage in time of possession.

Yes the BE was easier - but in 2010 (BE schedule) RU still set a D1 "sacks allowed" record. For whatever reason RU cant seem to get the Fosters and Meekins types - or the Sosa and Zuttah types. Of course lots of other teams are in the same boat. But even Army seems to find better lineman than RU. Army has some guys with some top national stats.

Here is a good article about how Army's Monken look s for players:

“We scour the country,” Monken said. “We collect names from high school coaches and recruiting services in every way possible. Literally 1,000s and 1,000s of names. We do approximately 10,000 evaluations a year for each recruiting class and then narrow it down to find the guys that can contribute to our program and also have the academic credentials and leadership qualities that make a candidate for West Point. It’s a painstaking process.”

We are not a bowl team this season but we should be by next year.
What makes you think next year will be better than this season? I expect us to be underdogs in almost every conference game next season. This rebuild has a ways to go imo.

What makes you think next year will be better than this season? I expect us to be underdogs in almost every conference game next season. This rebuild has a ways to go imo.
I say this often Every year is different, no way to know for sure what we'll be and that goes for many teams. We could be worse, same or better just like anyone. We're not operating in a vacuum, other teams are doing things to improve as well. Some will and some won't. Some teams surprise and do well like WF this year and some surprise and do poorly like UF/IU. Hard to predict.

Things are always changing from year to year and really some of this stuff can even be said within a season. Teams get better or hot and vice versa.

Nobody is aspiring to be Vanderbilt obviously. But people who think the B1G 10 is going to kick us out because right now we're non competitive in football?
No one is saying they will kick us out.
big 10 won’t kick us out . We are a big school in a good recruiting territory in a good media market . We are also a good opponent to pile up wins.
The problem is what does the school want? We haven’t been totally committed for a long time and only have been conveniently committed . I think the university and many fans don’t have the stomach for big time athletics and all the shadiness that comes with it . Getting our ass kicked weekly doesn’t help the school. If we are going to play the blue bloods, we need to act like one , or the embarrassment continues

Would you expect anything less from a toxic fan base?

Programs like Indiana were doormats for decades but suddenly RU doesn't belong in the conference. Too many fair weather fans here expecting something from nothing.

Reactions: Blitz8RUCrazy
Would you expect anything less from a toxic fan base?

Programs like Indiana were doormats for decades but suddenly RU doesn't belong in the conference. Too many fair weather fans here expecting something from nothing.

Maybe the B1G wouldn't even want a powerhouse RU. After an emphasis on playing more games in conference, maybe the B1G wanted some more middling teams. RU and Maryland are usually breathers for the heavyweights and I don't think B1G regrets that.

Maybe the B1G wouldn't even want a powerhouse RU. After an emphasis on playing more games in conference, maybe the B1G wanted some more middling teams. RU and Maryland are usually breathers for the heavyweights and I don't think B1G regrets that.
Yes , this is true . And if we ever get good , it’s a bonus.

Yes, it was about TV sets more than competitive teams. Now if our BOG hadn't approved two bad hires in a row then maybe we're in a different realm but we can't undue what's happened. We can only do our best to support the team as they try to rise up again. It's a process with no quick fix due to the roster left behind.

P
I contend that Indiana should be expelled if we win Saturday. Here is Indiana's all time wins vs. the "blue bloods" in the B1G East including the year they first started playing.

Indiana vs Michigan St - 15 wins since 1927 (94 years)
Indiana vs Michigan - 10 wins since 1900 (121 years)
Indiana vs.Penn St. - 2 wins since 1993 (28 years)
Indiana vs. Ohio St. - 9 wins since 1904 (117 years)

A much longer record of futility in the B1G 10.
I like debate and am okay with complaining even because that's what messageboards are for but don't like to waste too much time with such ludicrous notions.

We and anyone else in the P5 (and G5 too for that matter) aren't getting kicked out of a conference. It literally almost never happens. Good work on your part demonstrating that performance isn't related to anything, except a frustrated fanbase lol.

Yes, it was about TV sets more than competitive teams. Now if our BOG hadn't approved two bad hires in a row then maybe we're in a different realm but we can't undue what's happened. We can only do our best to support the team as they try to rise up again. It's a process with no quick fix due to the roster left behind.
This .
the bog is happy with cashing the BIG checks, but didn’t want to spend money to make money .
You put it nicely and accurately about the roster . Lots of people here have been dancing around the issue of the roster . The fact is recruiting has been awful .
And these players stink at the BIG level . People don’t like hearing that here , but they stink and the roster needs to be turned over for the better just to give us a fighting chance.

This .
the bog is happy with cashing the BIG checks, but didn’t want to spend money to make money .
You put it nicely and accurately about the roster . Lots of people here have been dancing around the issue of the roster . The fact is recruiting has been awful .
And these players stink at the BIG level . People don’t like hearing that here , but they stink and the roster needs to be turned over for the better just to give us a fighting chance.
The players are doing their best to try and win games but once injuries strike there isn't enough depth to make up for losing a starter. I'd refrain from using stink given the beating these guys take week in & week out. Too many are quick to use that word when we have a bad game and then when we win the following week suddenly they are heroes again.

The players are doing their best to try and win games but once injuries strike there isn't enough depth to make up for losing a starter. I'd refrain from using stink given the beating these guys take week in & week out. Too many are quick to use that word when we have a bad game and then when we win the following week suddenly they are heroes again.
Talent and depth stink for this level . I think that’s obvious.

If Northwestern didn't get kicked out in the 70's nobody will. I'll remind everyone of the graffiti on Illinois highway signs back then:

Sign: Interstate 80

Graffiti: Northwestern 0

This is not a talent issue its a depth issue. If Schiano was allowed to have a 40 person class he can fix it in a couple of years but he's limited to 25 a year so it's going to take a little while. He brought in 27 players ranked 5.6 or higher including 11 four stars if you include Lewis. Its that team two years from now when the majority of those are on the two deep is when the depth problem is solved.

Reactions: Blitz8RUCrazy
This is not a talent issue its a depth issue. If Schiano was allowed to have a 40 person class he can fix it in a couple of years but he's limited to 25 a year so it's going to take a little while. He brought in 27 players ranked 5.6 or higher including 11 four stars if you include Lewis. Its that team two years from now when the majority of those are on the two deep is when the depth problem is solved.
Well, you’re saying the second string talent stinks then ? So yeah it’s a talent issue

Well, you’re saying the second string talent stinks then ? So yeah it’s a talent issue
We are playing past our second string right now. Abraham and Longerbeam were 5th and 6th on the depth chart in August. Brown wasn't even on the offensive side of the ball in August. And its making it so the first and second strings are playing more than they should and fatigue is setting in.

Reactions: czxqa

Playoffs

That Link is the only thing I can think of when I read your post

If Northwestern didn't get kicked out in the 70's nobody will. I'll remind everyone of the graffiti on Illinois highway signs back then:

Sign: Interstate 80

Graffiti: Northwestern 0
great point............nw was the doormat of all doormats.......the avg. line each week was in the 40's.............until they hired their greg schiano......pat fitzgerald...............i never, ever heard of a let's kick nw out of the big.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT