ADVERTISEMENT

It's About Personality

oldman87

Heisman Winner
Apr 19, 2008
The Rutgers job used to be Mission Impossible

When looking at the credentials needed for the Rutgers job, they obviously wanted someone with a history of winning. Considering Ash won a national title at Ohio State by revamping the Buckeyes secondary, he certainly fit the mold.

But it doesn't seem like turning Rutgers into a competitive program was about X's and O's. It was about personality, and Ash had that during his time at Ohio State.

During interview sessions Ash was always very likable because he would consider the questions and respond and converse like he was talking to a friend. It was a pleasure to interview him, and that ability to talk to people is just crucial at a place like Rutgers. Personality is huge, and in my limited talks with Flood, it seems like that may have been lacking.

The Rutgers job used to be Mission Impossible

When looking at the credentials needed for the Rutgers job, they obviously wanted someone with a history of winning. Considering Ash won a national title at Ohio State by revamping the Buckeyes secondary, he certainly fit the mold.

But it doesn't seem like turning Rutgers into a competitive program was about X's and O's. It was about personality, and Ash had that during his time at Ohio State.

During interview sessions Ash was always very likable because he would consider the questions and respond and converse like he was talking to a friend. It was a pleasure to interview him, and that ability to talk to people is just crucial at a place like Rutgers. Personality is huge, and in my limited talks with Flood, it seems like that may have been lacking.
Wait a minute, oldman87 interviewed Chris Ash? Now we know why you were absent from the boards for so long!

Reactions: FanuSanu52
So this is what it feels like to have your thread trolled.
Sorry, man. I just looked like from the post you were speaking like you had interviewed Ash. I read the article, and it was a good read.
As to the former coach not having personality, I don't see that as the issue. He had the WRONG personality for the job, largely because he was in way over his head and he tried to compensate for it. He was perceived as a nice guy (other than by a few posters here), and perhaps he could have grown into the position if Rutgers remained in the AAC, but he probably would have had a difficult time competing against Matt Rhule at Temple and Herman at Houston. But he was also lacking fundamental and in depth experience as an offensive or defensive coordinator, besides the short stint as co-OC.

I think it's about personality, and x's and o's, and leadership and everything else. There's no one thing that can make RU a regularly competitive Big Ten football program. It will take all the things. And I've never seen more promise than I'm seeing right now, not even, IMO, during the Schiano years.

But we still have yet to play a single game and we still need to keep this recruiting class together through NSD. So I'm excited, but cautiously so. But I love the trajectory and the momentum.

I'm having a bad day. My sarcasm meter is completely out of whack.
Here's a little decision tree to help you out with that.

Is oldman87 posting?
..yes: is it about sports?
....yes: it's sarcasm
....no: is it about politics?
......yes: it's sarcasm
......no: is it about life in general?
........yes: it's sarcasm
........no: it's sarcasm
..no: it's irrelevant

:D

I only make about 1-2 threads per year on the football board, stop jacking my thread! :joy:

Here's a little decision tree to help you out with that.

Is oldman87 posting?
..yes: is it about sports?
....yes: it's sarcasm
....no: is it about politics?
......yes: it's sarcasm
......no: is it about life in general?
........yes: it's sarcasm
........no: it's sarcasm
..no: it's irrelevant

:D
oldman87 taught me more about furnaces than my HVAC technician. We need to add home repair to that decision tree. oldman87 does not mess around when it comes to furnaces.

I'm having a bad day. My sarcasm meter is completely out of whack.

I was about to say this but I see Oldman already cleared it up. Come on Knight Shift, since when do you get all serious ... and all while responding to Oldman87!

Good stuff from both of you above, though.

I only make about 1-2 threads per year on the football board, stop jacking my thread! :joy:
Wait a minute!!! Do you want him to jack your thread or troll your thread?

(And there's absolutely nothing wrong with either of those.)

tumblr_inline_mls5uzpvjX1qz4rgp.gif

Now you've started it! Since oldgoat was talking about jacking his thread:

Now you've started it! Since oldgoat was talking about jacking his thread:

Well, in response I was going to post of a picture of that scene from the movie Airplane! where Captain Oveur was looking at whacking material, but I will use my better judgment this time since that photo may lead to blindness and cause mass hysteria. I learned my lesson and will not make the same mistake twice. [winking]

I really liked this line from the article:

Three classes like the one Ash is assembling now, and maybe the Rutgers game won't be a glorified bye week for Ohio State.

I really liked this line from the article:

Three classes like the one Ash is assembling now, and maybe the Rutgers game won't be a glorified bye week for Ohio State.

How about this one:
"Wow. Just wow. "

And how about this comment to the story from a "formed in the mold RU Guy":

"Oh...by the way....I've got to warn you. Greg Schiano has a shelf life of about 18 months before you want to punch his ticket home. Press folks will find him about the most repellant figure in town, but he'll bolt the moment the Penn State job opens up....and it will."

ADVERTISEMENT