ADVERTISEMENT

It's going down

The softball thing is part of the play. Remember, this lawsuit was filed in July.

By an attorney who is a close acquaintance of Barry Alvarez, the specter-like presence of Rutgers Athletics. And who happens to specialize in negotiating coaching contracts.

Alvarez, btw, just happens to be a very close personal friend of Greg Brown. And will be here next week as part of the Anniversary discussion panel (which curiously does not include the current AD).
Great, Alvarez back for round two to run our football program into the ground for another decade.

The softball thing is part of the play. Remember, this lawsuit was filed in July.

By an attorney who is a close acquaintance of Barry Alvarez, the specter-like presence of Rutgers Athletics. And who happens to specialize in negotiating coaching contracts.

Alvarez, btw, just happens to be a very close personal friend of Greg Brown. And will be here next week as part of the Anniversary discussion panel (which curiously does not include the current AD).
Yes, totally freaking strange move having Barry Alvarez on the 150th Anniversary celebration panel, along with 2006 players and Marco Battaglia. Why would Rutgers NOT have their current AD on that panel? That's just strange.

Last edited:

Current softball situation aside, That panel is odd. Why is Barry Alvarez, who has zero connections to Rutgers other than the fact that he suggested the Ash hire, on the panel and the actual AD of Rutgers not on it.
Makes zero sense.

Last edited:
The buzz I'm hearing amounts to a coordinated, high-level booster-led takedown of Pat Hobbs.

Today's news story is not the last - there's more coming.

By Thanksgiving I predict that Pat Hobbs will be our former AD, that Sarah Baumgartner may be our former assistant AD and Greg Schiano will be the next Rutgers football coach.

May God have mercy on our souls.
So sarge is being used as a tool? I'm not sure I buy this as a takedown. That article had to take months to research on today's budgets for real journalism. If this story started in August, how does that fit in your theory?

So sarge is being used as a tool? I'm not sure I buy this as a takedown. That article had to take months to research on today's budgets for real journalism. If this story started in August, how does that fit in your theory?

That article is a couple weeks worth of work, at most.

Reactions: SCILS02
Is that really a reason for an AD to be fired? Because he cursed in a text message? (And he has a reason to be mad)
If I read it correctly, the cursing happened during a phone call and the apology was via text. Agree, not a fireable offense unless this isn’t the first time (although it must be as the SL would have said so if it wasn’t the first time).

I for one assumed (looks like a mistake) that with the mid season firing of a football coach at RU the AD had a strong plan in place that would make sense and we could all say - hey that made sense. That is seemingly not what has transpired so this story may have deep legs. If it is true can we finally stop the political hires and a get a B1G experienced AD on board to professionally run this program?

BTW and FWIW, I sent Barchi's office (president@rutgers.edu) an e-mail urging him to fire Hobbs. Calling a report "f..ing scum" is unacceptable for someone who is supposedly a leader.
Camden I usually agree with you but not this time. Who knows how much that crew has been hammering him during the recent coaching search. He had poor judgment but the nj.com crew can’t be trusted.

The buzz I'm hearing amounts to a coordinated, high-level booster-led takedown of Pat Hobbs.

Today's news story is not the last - there's more coming.

By Thanksgiving I predict that Pat Hobbs will be our former AD, that Sarah Baumgartner may be our former assistant AD and Greg Schiano will be the next Rutgers football coach.

May God have mercy on our souls.

If this is true, it is sad. No AD has done more for Rutgers than Hobbs. Look where we were when Julie left and where we are today. If Greg Brown didn't force Ash on Hobbs, we would be in even better shape. Brown is a control freak and needs a fall guy for his Ash mistake.

Hobbs has a big ego and can turn people off including big donors. Bottom line - he is leading us into the future and has a plan. Some of the staff don't like him as he demands accountability. That's good. I can live with his ego if he continues to move us forward.

Don't want to retreat to the days of Julie, Tim, and god-forbid Fred.

I don't disagree. Or rather, I agree that parts of it don't seem to really connect.

For example, if Hobbs gets immediately kicked to the curb, who actually hires Schiano?

Are they going to name Marco Battaglia "acting AD" and have him do it?

Actually...
I’m good with that

Reactions: cicero grimes
If this is true, it is sad. No AD has done more for Rutgers than Hobbs. Look where we were when Julie left and where we are today. If Greg Brown didn't force Ash on Hobbs, we would be in even better shape. Brown is a control freak and needs a fall guy for his Ash mistake.

Hobbs has a big ego and can turn people off including big donors. Bottom line - he is leading us into the future and has a plan. Some of the staff don't like him as he demands accountability. That's good. I can live with his ego if he continues to move us forward.

I would like to believe this about Hobbs, but the attention to detail under Hobbs in many areas of the program has been abysmal - from the ticket office, to website usability, to credit card machines and general customer service all have been horrible.

Last edited:
So Barry Alvarez will be the next AD at Rutgers? Is that what we get from this?

I'm getting so tired of Rutgers being involved in BS items that turn into big issues nationally. Yet SEC and ACC schools can payoff players and families. (and have fake classes). We are so small time.

This is like something out of the Sopranos.
"We can't have him here in our social club no more. That much I do know."
"Social club? He's gotta go!"

Reactions: Block R
I happened to talk to two former football players in the last month and both have said Hobbs was a political hire who has no idea what he is doing. Does anyone want that hiring our next coach? Never been a fan myself.

Here's a theory.. what if the fundraising we attribute to Hobbs was in-progress before he got here? Joining the Big Ten was due to reap benefits, right? The main sponsors seem to be long time donors as well as RWJ/Barnabas Health.. which is involved in the Barchi-lead med school merger stuff.

Insiders would know who was truly responsible for what (I am not one).. and it could be that looking at how important the football hire is.. perhaps Hobbs just doesn't look like he should be the guy making that decision. And if that's the case.. either hire Schiano or hire an AD who has made several great football hires.

Should he not have chugged beers with students when he first got here? Was that wrong? (actually, I liked that about him).

if the big boosters don’t want Hobbs he is gone. Otherwise he can’t raise money and would be worthless.
Whether they have lost faith or not in him is anybody’s guess.
Though clearly where there is smoke there is usually some fire and lately there has been slot of smoke.

Any chance the next head coach is significant enough that RU wants the ability to offer both the AD and HC positions to him? Give complete control to the infamous "big name coach"?

Reactions: LukeRU90
That panel is odd. Why is Barry Alvarez, who has zero connections to Rutgers other than the fact that he suggested the Ash hire, on the panel and the actual AD of Rutgers not on it.
Makes zero sense.

Maybe Alvarez takes over as AD as part of a high level reset tied to the 150th anniversary in which Greg is hired ????

Or maybe the plan is to move Marco Battaglia to AD in conjunction with hiring Greg?

Barry's role is to maybe discuss the barriers to and opportunities for success at Rutgers? The good, the bad, the ugly?

I’m watching the WS and decide to check the board in case something is happening and I read this. What the hell is going on? Has RU become some sort of banana republic being taken over by some kind of coup? I believe Hobbs has an ego and he is supposed to be the guy who hires the coach but he has bosses. If his bosses want Schiano that much why doesn’t he just hire the guy. Schiano may not be Urban Meyer but he certainly wouldn’t be seen as a stupid or bad hire even by people who don’t necessarily want him. This is nuts if it is all true.

So we are going to do the whole Pernetti, Julie Hermann, thing a third time? Just to get St. Greg back? Fan-freaking-tastic.

The people who call that shots at Rutgers are f*cking idiots. Like, irreparably stupid f*cking people. If I didn't get two degrees from RU, I would have walked away a long time ago. I may walk away over this. You cannot donate to this organization and feel good about it.

For the first time in forever, everything was actually moving in the right direction. ANd now they are going to jettison it, to get their beloved .500 coach back. Its beyond belief.

This.

If any of this is remotely true and it’s being orchestrated by Greg Brown that guy is a jackass.

CamdenLaw, I hope you also told Barchi we should bar any and all Star-Liar“reporters” from having any access to any Rutgers Coach, player, or facility and the sale of their piece of garbage will no longer be allowed on any Rutgers campus. Enough is enough. For decades, we have seen the anti-Rutgers media either attack or ignore their own State University. Every school stands up when they are attacked. The days of allowing the media to tell us what to do and think must end. Grow a spine Rutgers !!!

I posted this in another thread but it is probably more relevant here. Its an incredibly interesting scenario and very un Rutgers like. My feeling is if Hobbs has not hired Greg by now, he has no intention of bringing him back. Under the scenario you present, the message to Hobbs is maybe he should rethink that decision.

Reactions: Steve91562
I have to believe Rutgers beuracracy and lawyers dont churn out FOIL requests in 2 weeks.

"FOIL"?

Everything in that story was fed to them. The legal documents were dropped on them, with bulleted summaries as to the more salacious details. Former players and their families were made available for interviews.

The coordination that led to this piece was all done before Stanmeyer got his hands on it.

Reactions: cicero grimes
ADVERTISEMENT