ADVERTISEMENT

It's going down

The buzz I'm hearing amounts to a coordinated, high-level booster-led takedown of Pat Hobbs.

Today's news story is not the last - there's more coming.

By Thanksgiving I predict that Pat Hobbs will be our former AD, that Sarah Baumgartner may be our former assistant AD and Greg Schiano will be the next Rutgers football coach.

May God have mercy on our souls.
How?

- the boosters didn’t force Hobbs to call a reporter a piece of scum.
- the boosters didn’t force the former softball players to speak.

I for one assumed (looks like a mistake) that with the mid season firing of a football coach at RU the AD had a strong plan in place that would make sense and we could all say - hey that made sense. That is seemingly not what has transpired so this story may have deep legs. If it is true can we finally stop the political hires and a get a B1G experienced AD on board to professionally run this program?

Agree, something smelled funny when it became clear that there wasn’t a very clear and obvious plan after Ash was fired. Only at Rutgers

I don’t know what’s going on over there but what we really need now is continuity. Whether it’s an offensive coordinator or an athletic director we need stability. If all this is true it does not paint the School in a good light. He has raised $100,000,000. Everywhere you look there’s new buildings.Every coach he hired has been an improvement (except football).
If true the whole thing is very bizarre.

Last edited:
Agree, something smelled funny when it became clear that there wasn’t a very clear and obvious plan after Ash was fired. Only at Rutgers
The first warning sign was when it took almost three weeks to name a search firm. Any professional AD "always" has candidates in their sights and the process in place to move quickly. Hobbs has moved as if he is interviewing for a new ticket office manager.

Maybe Alvarez takes over as AD as part of a high level reset tied to the 150th anniversary in which Greg is hired ????

Or maybe the plan is to move Marco Battaglia to AD in conjunction with hiring Greg?

Barry's role is to maybe discuss the barriers to and opportunities for success at Rutgers? The good, the bad, the ugly?
I don't want Alvarez anywhere near our program which he ran into the ground with Ash!

if the big boosters don’t want Hobbs he is gone. Otherwise he can’t raise money and would be worthless.
Whether they have lost faith or not in him is anybody’s guess.
Though clearly where there is smoke there is usually some fire and lately there has been slot of smoke.

Agree with this. Hobbs serves as AD at the pleasure of Greg Brown and the RU major boosters. The boosters will be providing much of the financing of the next HC. If Hobbs wants someone other who the boosters want they can withhold $$$ toward the HC that Hobbs wants. That creates a problem for everyone, especially RU.

When rumors like this come from multiple people who quote strong sources close to a RU then it’s probably accurate. If so it looks like Hobbs has been pressure from the boosters for some time. If he balks on choosing Greg could that be his Waterloo on the banks?

He has raised $100,000,000.
But did he? Or did Rutgers and Rutgers alums and supporters raise that? Did Schiano raise that by raising our profile so that the Big Ten wanted us? Did the Barchi managed deal with the medical school raise the bulk of that? A bad AD could have screwed that up.. so he at least gets credit for that.. but would an AD with some decent football experience have been able to do the same.. or better?

Reactions: Steve91562
Show your work...
It's absolutely tiresome, because the work has been shown on these forums numerous times, but here you go. Nothing personal about the tone, but false narratives really piss me off.

It was at John Farmer's suggestion, who is counsel to Rutgers.
http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i..._story_on_how_patrick_hobbs_became_the_n.html

Farmer said he first learned Barchi was considering a move on the athletic director position the day he first reached Hobbs on the golf course.

"Clearly by Friday, Dr. Barchi was thinking about it or he wouldn't have called me," he said. "He reached out and asked me if I knew anyone who could step in as AD."

Hobbs was the first name that came to mind. While the two were not close friends, they knew each other as law school deans and occasionally had lunch together. They even coached against each other in a basketball matchup of height-challenged law students in which neither opted to put in a 'ringer.'

"I thought he would be a good fit," said Farmer. "I knew that Pat was on sabbatical and, as a result, might be available on short notice. I also thought that, coming from a career in academia and with his background as chair of the SCI and his training as a lawyer, Pat would be able to harmonize the athletics imperatives with academic and compliance values."

Farmer added that Hobbs had received high marks from everybody.

"He had to make difficult decisions at Seton Hall and he did," he said. "And he knows New Jersey. It won't take him six months to find out where Edison is."

After introducing Hobbs to Barchi on Monday, Farmer stepped out of the picture as additional meetings that week were set up with Greg Brown, chairman of the Rutgers board of governors, and with Kenneth Schmidt, who heads the board's athletics committee.

Barchi said he had initially set out to find an interim director of athletics who could stabilize the department before launching a national search, but the play soon changed in the days leading up to Thanksgiving.

"We really were looking for someone who had impeccable credentials and the highest ethical activity, someone who was known throughout the state and the government and in the business and academic communities; someone who had experience both in academia and in athletics," he said at the trustees meeting last week.

Barchi said it was clear to everyone that Hobbs had the attributes required for the university's next director of athletics.

Hobbs, in an interview, recounted his meeting with Barchi from his own perspective.

"We started talking about it as sort of an interim possibility, and the more we kept exploring it and what I thought about the opportunity and what he thought I might be able to do, it turned," Hobbs said. "Then it was, 'Would you do this?' And I said 'Heck, yeah, I'll do this.'"

When he went on sabbatical in June, Hobbs said he knew he wanted to pursue leadership opportunities in higher education again, but had decided he was going to take a year to think about what he wanted to do.

"This opportunity came along, and it just sort of was like the perfect fit and the perfect time," he remarked. "That's why I think this happened so quickly, because Dr. Barchi could see this was something I was looking for, and this was something he was looking for, so we're going to make it work."

The first warning sign was when it took almost three weeks to name a search firm. Any professional AD "always" has candidates in their sights and the process in place to move quickly. Hobbs has moved as if he is interviewing for a new ticket office manager.
It was not "almost three weeks." It was exactly two weeks to the day, which incidentally was exactly when he said it would be done.

The buzz I'm hearing amounts to a coordinated, high-level booster-led takedown of Pat Hobbs.

Today's news story is not the last - there's more coming.

By Thanksgiving I predict that Pat Hobbs will be our former AD, that Sarah Baumgartner may be our former assistant AD and Greg Schiano will be the next Rutgers football coach.

May God have mercy on our souls.
Ideally, I would like to have both at RU, but if I had to choose one, it would be Schiano.

But did he? Or did Rutgers and Rutgers alums and supporters raise that? Did Schiano raise that by raising our profile so that the Big Ten wanted us? Did the Barchi managed deal with the medical school raise the bulk of that? A bad AD could have screwed that up.. so he at least gets credit for that.. but would an AD with some decent football experience have been able to do the same.. or better?
Are your playing devil's advocate, or do you believe what you typed? What did Pernetti and Julie raise when we needed it most? Would knucklehead Julie have had the connections to get the $25 million tax abatement? Doubt it.

Reactions: RUonBrain
It's absolutely tiresome, because the work has been shown on these forums numerous times, but here you go. Nothing personal about the tone, but false narratives really piss me off.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i..._story_on_how_patrick_hobbs_became_the_n.html

Farmer said he first learned Barchi was considering a move on the athletic director position the day he first reached Hobbs on the golf course.

"Clearly by Friday, Dr. Barchi was thinking about it or he wouldn't have called me," he said. "He reached out and asked me if I knew anyone who could step in as AD."

Hobbs was the first name that came to mind. While the two were not close friends, they knew each other as law school deans and occasionally had lunch together. They even coached against each other in a basketball matchup of height-challenged law students in which neither opted to put in a 'ringer.'

"I thought he would be a good fit," said Farmer. "I knew that Pat was on sabbatical and, as a result, might be available on short notice. I also thought that, coming from a career in academia and with his background as chair of the SCI and his training as a lawyer, Pat would be able to harmonize the athletics imperatives with academic and compliance values."

"He had to make difficult decisions at Seton Hall and he did," he said. "And he knows New Jersey. It won't take him six months to find out where Edison is."

After introducing Hobbs to Barchi on Monday, Farmer stepped out of the picture as additional meetings that week were set up with Greg Brown, chairman of the Rutgers board of governors, and with Kenneth Schmidt, who heads the board's athletics committee.

Barchi said he had initially set out to find an interim director of athletics who could stabilize the department before launching a national search, but the play soon changed in the days leading up to Thanksgiving.

"We really were looking for someone who had impeccable credentials and the highest ethical activity, someone who was known throughout the state and the government and in the business and academic communities; someone who had experience both in academia and in athletics," he said at the trustees meeting last week.

Barchi said it was clear to everyone that Hobbs had the attributes required for the university's next director of athletics.

Hobbs, in an interview, recounted his meeting with Barchi from his own perspective.

"We started talking about it as sort of an interim possibility, and the more we kept exploring it and what I thought about the opportunity and what he thought I might be able to do, it turned," Hobbs said. "Then it was, 'Would you do this?' And I said 'Heck, yeah, I'll do this.'"

When he went on sabbatical in June, Hobbs said he knew he wanted to pursue leadership opportunities in higher education again, but had decided he was going to take a year to think about what he wanted to do.

"This opportunity came along, and it just sort of was like the perfect fit and the perfect time," he remarked. "That's why I think this happened so quickly, because Dr. Barchi could see this was something I was looking for, and this was something he was looking for, so we're going to make it work."
What you are describing is how political appointments happen in NJ and it is the very reason we are in the situation we are in. I know all about Mr. Farmer and have had several dealings with him - he is good at one thing - self promotion. Of course you will call me out on this but what I just stated is as far as I will go. I do know this - AD's should not be hired based on recommendations from political appointees period.

Reactions: wisr01
"FOIL"?

Everything in that story was fed to them. The legal documents were dropped on them, with bulleted summaries as to the more salacious details. Former players and their families were made available for interviews.

The coordination that led to this piece was all done before Stanmeyer got his hands on it.
I dont know if the RU info fell off a truck but they do mention using open records requests to obtaining some info. Why would you assume it was simply handed to them? Sarge is known for his FOIL requests

You did not answer my question...what exactly in Hobbs' background qualified him to be an AD in BIG? Law school dean? Interim-AD at a glorified CC? Friend of the Farmer? I was looking for more on Hobbs' qualifications as they directly impact our FOOTBALL program.

What you are describing is how political appointments happen in NJ and it is the very reason we are in the situation we are in. I know all about Mr. Farmer and have had several dealings with him - he is good at one thing - self promotion. Of course you will call me out on this but what I just stated is as far as I will go. I do know this - AD's should not be hired based on recommendations from political appointees period.[/QUOTE]
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was typing my reply and you said it even better.

not buying this story. I certainly buy the part about donors and higher up wanting Hobbs gone if we wont hire Schiano...i feel that way too, if they are putting the money they get to decide especially since Hobbs really blundered the contract and giving him a 4th year

but no one made Hobbs curse out the reporter and no one made the softball players complain even if their complaint is bullshit

the media is scum, we knew from the last time when we had people siding with them over Julie...ya know the same kind of plopping all kinds of leaks and stuff to the NJ media, seemed some of you encouraged it then.

do donors want him gone, possibly, did they set him up with the paper, wow thats a wild conspiracy theory from the OP

Are your playing devil's advocate, or do you believe what you typed? What did Pernetti and Julie raise when we needed it most? Would knucklehead Julie have had the connections to get the $25 million tax abatement? Doubt it.

actuallly she set in motion with Lesniak at the time when Barchi and Lesniak were sparring...I believe it was committed that spring...getting the rest of the money she wasnt going to be able to do. Hobbs would because despite what you say, it was political. Yes Farmer recommended it but do you know if anyone recommended it to Farmer and the money just started to flow in right away, there was more to it than meets the eye.

June 2015

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2015/06/state_sen_lesniak_25m_bill_for_rutgers_athletics_f.html

Reactions: Knight Shift
It amazes me how some of the so called insiders on this board think it is OK for this to happen. Only in NJ. No other B1G team hires this way.

Reactions: S_Janowski
The softball thing is part of the play. Remember, this lawsuit was filed in July.

By an attorney who is a close acquaintance of Barry Alvarez, the specter-like presence of Rutgers Athletics. And who happens to specialize in negotiating coaching contracts.

Alvarez, btw, just happens to be a very close personal friend of Greg Brown. And will be here next week as part of the Anniversary discussion panel (which curiously does not include the current AD).
Wow. Is there a grassy knoll somewhere in this story?

I for one assumed (looks like a mistake) that with the mid season firing of a football coach at RU the AD had a strong plan in place that would make sense and we could all say - hey that made sense. That is seemingly not what has transpired so this story may have deep legs. If it is true can we finally stop the political hires and a get a B1G experienced AD on board to professionally run this program?

Hobbs, who, while not perfect, has been the best AD since Mulcahy...by far! So, the 'political hire' notwithstanding, please provide me any evidence, in the history of hiring practices, where RU brass have made any decision clearly in support of the AD. Your assumptions are dangerous. I'll hang up now.

Reactions: Knight Shift
What you are describing is how political appointments happen in NJ and it is the very reason we are in the situation we are in. I know all about Mr. Farmer and have had several dealings with him - he is good at one thing - self promotion. Of course you will call me out on this but what I just stated is as far as I will go. I do know this - AD's should not be hired based on recommendations from political appointees period.
I didn't describe anything. I block quoted an article from NJ.com. I am well familiar with John J. Farmer and his career, and apparently you are too. You have your opinion on John J. Farmer based on your dealings with him, and you are entitled to your opinion. Surely others have differing opinions.

But to characterize the hire as "political," as others have alleged is a stretch. A political hire would be hiring based on the recommendation of the Governor or another politician. As far as I know, that did not happen here. Farmer and Hobbs knew each other, and Farmer knew that Hobbs was acting AD at Seton Hall.

Farmer also knew that Hobbs had a strong reputation in ethics, as he was Ombudsman under Gov. Christie. At the time of his hiring Barchi estimated that Rutgers needed someone who could clean up the various ethical messes left behind by Julie and Flood.

While this was an important consideration, it should not have been the sole focus. In fact, it should have been the secondary consideration. The first consideration should have been if the hire could handle management of a P5 athletics program where football drives the revenue and perception bus. But as is typical with Barchi and the BOG, the made a dumb decision and hired an AD without considering all of the important criteria.

But also remember that Barchi was purportedly looking for an INTERIM AD, and somehow they fell in love with Hobbs, and decided to make his role permanent. Maybe you did not read this part of the block quote:

"After introducing Hobbs to Barchi on Monday, Farmer stepped out of the picture as additional meetings that week were set up with Greg Brown, chairman of the Rutgers board of governors, and with Kenneth Schmidt, who heads the board's athletics committee."

This was all on Barchi, Greg Brown and Kenneth Schmidt. They had no obligation to hire Hobbs. In fact, why would they feel compelled to accept the recommendation of someone who worked for Rutgers?

The "political hire" thing is a false narrative.

Reactions: new jersey1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT