ADVERTISEMENT

It's going down

Barchi was an idiot and is in all ways related to the athletic department...there was enough to can Flood early on in the season yet he let if fester and twist because he didnt want to trust the AD he hired and then waited til the very end to swiftly pack both away and then without any search behind the scenes delivered an AD who had no real experience running an athletic dept who promptly hired the worst coach in Rutgers football history compounded that mistake with an awful contract and then made things worse by bringing him back

You did not answer my question...what exactly in Hobbs' background qualified him to be an AD in BIG? Law school dean? Interim-AD at a glorified CC? Friend of the Farmer? I was looking for more on Hobbs' qualifications as they directly impact our FOOTBALL program.
See my reply to @letitrip2 above. He was a smart choice for INTERIM AD. I can't help it if Barchi, Greg Brown and Kenneth Schmidt fell in love and drove it home to a permanent position.

So perhaps you want to ask the BOG and Barchi those questions. Or perhaps you don't need to. It's quintessential Rutgers standard operating procedure. Don't shoot the messenger.

With all of that said, Hobbs would have earned the full-time/permanent AD title anyway based on all of the fundraising he did for the Barnabas Performance Center. It's water under the Lynch bridge.

Reactions: Leonard23
It was not "almost three weeks." It was exactly two weeks to the day, which incidentally was exactly when he said it would be done.
Sorry - I was off by three and
I didn't describe anything. I block quoted an article from NJ.com. I am well familiar with John J. Farmer and his career, and apparently you are too. You have your opinion on John J. Farmer based on your dealings with him, and you are entitled to your opinion. Surely others have differing opinions.

But to characterize the hire as "political," as others have alleged is a stretch. A political hire would be hiring based on the recommendation of the Governor or another politician. As far as I know, that did not happen here. Farmer and Hobbs knew each other, and Farmer knew that Hobbs was acting AD at Seton Hall.

Farmer also knew that Hobbs had a strong reputation in ethics, as he was Ombudsman under Gov. Christie. At the time of his hiring Barchi estimated that Rutgers needed someone who could clean up the various ethical messes left behind by Julie and Flood.

While this was an important consideration, it should not have been the sole focus. In fact, it should have been the secondary consideration. The first consideration should have been if the hire could handle management of a P5 athletics program where football drives the revenue and perception bus. But as is typical with Barchi and the BOG, the made a dumb decision and hired an AD without considering all of the important criteria.

But also remember that Barchi was purportedly looking for an INTERIM AD, and somehow they fell in love with Hobbs, and decided to make his role permanent. Maybe you did not read this part of the block quote:

"After introducing Hobbs to Barchi on Monday, Farmer stepped out of the picture as additional meetings that week were set up with Greg Brown, chairman of the Rutgers board of governors, and with Kenneth Schmidt, who heads the board's athletics committee."

This was all on Barchi, Greg Brown and Kenneth Schmidt. They had no obligation to hire Hobbs. In fact, why would they feel compelled to accept the recommendation of someone who worked for Rutgers?

The "political hire" thing is a false narrative.
I stand by what I wrote - Your details just drive the point home that this is no way to hire a B1G AD.

Is it really all that big of a deal if this all goes down

1 - Schiano should be the coach. While I would love some huge name it’s not happening. Let Schiano bring us back to respectability over the next 7 years. At that point we can afford to throw some real money around if we have to move on

2 - Where is Pickell going? Yes we are better, but that’s by RU standards. I think he is the right guy but maybe he needs to get us to the tournament a couple times before bigger programs would come calling

3 - The fundraising Hobbs has done goes away if these same donors don’t want him here

4 - Hobbs is proving maybe he has a bit to big of an ego to run a BIG Ten AD Department if we are ever going to get where we want to athletically. Sounds like he wants to be the #1 guy on campus. Ideally he would be #3 behind the football and basketball coach

actuallly she set in motion with Lesniak at the time when Barchi and Lesniak were sparring...I believe it was committed that spring...getting the rest of the money she wasnt going to be able to do. Hobbs would because despite what you say, it was political. Yes Farmer recommended it but do you know if anyone recommended it to Farmer and the money just started to flow in right away, there was more to it than meets the eye.

June 2015

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2015/06/state_sen_lesniak_25m_bill_for_rutgers_athletics_f.html
Very good find, and something I forgot, so belated kudos to Julie and whoever else set that in motion.
It still took some muscle to get the companion Assembly bill through and Gov. Christie to sign the bill, which happened under Hobbs' watch.
Julie deserves credit here, but Hobbs gets most of the glory for seeing it through.
https://www.dailyrecord.com/story/s...iving-tax-credits-rutgers-athletics/79056622/

Reactions: Steve91562
I didn't describe anything. I block quoted an article from NJ.com. I am well familiar with John J. Farmer and his career, and apparently you are too. You have your opinion on John J. Farmer based on your dealings with him, and you are entitled to your opinion. Surely others have differing opinions.

But to characterize the hire as "political," as others have alleged is a stretch. A political hire would be hiring based on the recommendation of the Governor or another politician. As far as I know, that did not happen here. Farmer and Hobbs knew each other, and Farmer knew that Hobbs was acting AD at Seton Hall.

Farmer also knew that Hobbs had a strong reputation in ethics, as he was Ombudsman under Gov. Christie. At the time of his hiring Barchi estimated that Rutgers needed someone who could clean up the various ethical messes left behind by Julie and Flood.

While this was an important consideration, it should not have been the sole focus. In fact, it should have been the secondary consideration. The first consideration should have been if the hire could handle management of a P5 athletics program where football drives the revenue and perception bus. But as is typical with Barchi and the BOG, the made a dumb decision and hired an AD without considering all of the important criteria.

But also remember that Barchi was purportedly looking for an INTERIM AD, and somehow they fell in love with Hobbs, and decided to make his role permanent. Maybe you did not read this part of the block quote:

"After introducing Hobbs to Barchi on Monday, Farmer stepped out of the picture as additional meetings that week were set up with Greg Brown, chairman of the Rutgers board of governors, and with Kenneth Schmidt, who heads the board's athletics committee."

This was all on Barchi, Greg Brown and Kenneth Schmidt. They had no obligation to hire Hobbs. In fact, why would they feel compelled to accept the recommendation of someone who worked for Rutgers?

The "political hire" thing is a false narrative.
Oh please!! Hobbs was a Christie hire, plain and simple. Everyone knows it. You must think politicians are honest.

It amazes me how some of the so called insiders on this board think it is OK for this to happen. Only in NJ. No other B1G team hires this way.
Don't be so sure.
Check out the AD at Indiana. I posted in the past. Think his name is Glass. Hired under nearly identical circumstances to Hobbs, when Indiana was under fire for what happened with Kevin Wilson. Universities live in fear and make dumb, reactionary decisions that come back to haunt them. This is not unique to Rutgers. Maybe it does not happen at blue bloods like Michigan and Wisconsin and Ohio State.

Glass has a similar background to Hobbs:
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/12/kevin-wilson-indiana-fred-glass-football-coach

It could be that Glass and Wilson simply couldn’t work together any longer. Football coaches are often quite different from the people working in administration, and Glass does not come from a traditional sports background. Wilson, meanwhile, can be boisterous, brusque and hard-charging.

But it seems like there’s more than that going on. Glass had an Indy law firm conduct a review of the program, which is an unusual step.

And much of the speculation about what ended Wilson’s tenure has centered on his treatment of injured players.

Other former players spoke with reporters about being rushed back from injury. These are just anecdotes, though, and can’t be seen as a whole picture; college football teams have more than 100 players, and you’re bound to have those who like the coach and those who don’t, whether or not the coach is actually doing something wrong or unethical.

Reactions: cicero grimes
So we are going to do the whole Pernetti, Julie Hermann, thing a third time? Just to get St. Greg back? Fan-freaking-tastic.

The people who call that shots at Rutgers are f*cking idiots. Like, irreparably stupid f*cking people. If I didn't get two degrees from RU, I would have walked away a long time ago. I may walk away over this. You cannot donate to this organization and feel good about it.

For the first time in forever, everything was actually moving in the right direction. ANd now they are going to jettison it, to get their beloved .500 coach back. Its beyond belief.
i'm almost 2 hours and 4 pages behind so I don't know what follows...BUT IF what you type is true.....OMG...Good Knight Irene. IF TRUE I will either be just in front of you or right off your a$$. .

It amazes me how some of the so called insiders on this board think it is OK for this to happen. Only in NJ. No other B1G team hires this way.
What are you specifically referring to? You are making huge assumptions on three fronts--"so-called insiders," "OK for this to happen" "No other B1G team hires this way." I ain't no insider. Not quite sure what "this" and what "hire" are you talking about?

Very good find, and something I forgot, so belated kudos to Julie and whoever else set that in motion.
It still took some muscle to get the companion Assembly bill through and Gov. Christie to sign the bill, which happened under Hobbs' watch.
Julie deserves credit here, but Hobbs gets most of the glory for seeing it through.
https://www.dailyrecord.com/story/s...iving-tax-credits-rutgers-athletics/79056622/

from my recollection it seemed like Barchi really had no interest in an upgrade in facilities, as if he couldnt concern himself with it and he couldnt understand what RU being in the Big 10 needed, meanwhile he gave Julie strick orders do not spend money on sports, its all about the subsidy. So Julie was muzzled and then she had resistence from the Pernetti ass lickers who refused to pony up any money..so basically nothing was going to happen. Julie talked a court club meeting about they werent going to be able to see something until 2021 or later til the money came in and then it filtered to the boards and then to the papers and then Lesniak got involved

in reality Barchi should have been at the forefront in 2013 but was too busy with merger...thats not the job of a president...he should have been hired to do the merger not to be our President, thats where the intial mistake was made.

Barchi was an idiot and is in all ways related to the athletic department...there was enough to can Flood early on in the season yet he let if fester and twist because he didnt want to trust the AD he hired and then waited til the very end to swiftly pack both away and then without any search behind the scenes delivered an AD who had no real experience running an athletic dept who promptly hired the worst coach in Rutgers football history compounded that mistake with an awful contract and then made things worse by bringing him back

Whenever Barchi has stepped in and gone commando, it has not ended well. See the Mike Rice scandal, followed by the Pernetti firing, followed by the hiring of Julie.

Then the firing of Julie and Flood, and the rapid hiring of Hobbs, which was only supposed to be an interim hire.

People complain that he does not care about athletics. He actually has showed that he cares an awful lot. Athletics would have been a lot better of if he had cared less.

Camden I usually agree with you but not this time. Who knows how much that crew has been hammering him during the recent coaching search. He had poor judgment but the nj.com crew can’t be trusted.

Again, Hobbs hasn't denied it. So it's not a question of whether to trust "the nj.com crew." We know they're telling the truth, and anyway they have the text apologizing, which is an admission.

I would like to believe this about Hobbs, but the attention to detail under Hobbs in many areas of the program has been abysmal - from the ticket office, to website usability, to credit card machines and general customer service all have been horrible.

yeah...and THAT's how I judge the AD at Freaking Rutgers during these last few years. Seriously. Forget the BIG stuff and the facilities and the non-football ON FIELD achievements.

I'm the biggest critic on the small stuff but you cannot "can" this dude over that stuff?
"hey, we beat xyz in abc this week but my hot dog was cold"

Last edited:
Reactions: ruready07
Is it really all that big of a deal if this all goes down

1 - Schiano should be the coach. While I would love some huge name it’s not happening. Let Schiano bring us back to respectability over the next 7 years. At that point we can afford to throw some real money around if we have to move on

2 - Where is Pickell going? Yes we are better, but that’s by RU standards. I think he is the right guy but maybe he needs to get us to the tournament a couple times before bigger programs would come calling

3 - The fundraising Hobbs has done goes away if these same donors don’t want him here

4 - Hobbs is proving maybe he has a bit to big of an ego to run a BIG Ten AD Department if we are ever going to get where we want to athletically. Sounds like he wants to be the #1 guy on campus. Ideally he would be #3 behind the football and basketball coach

Anyone who knows Pat knows number 4 is the furthest thing from the truth. He'd hire Saban if he could.

in reality Barchi should have been at the forefront in 2013 but was too busy with merger...thats not the job of a president...he should have been hired to do the merger not to be our President, thats where the intial mistake was made.
This x1,000,000
That dope to this day has never understood that Football drives Athletics $. He has ignorned the business side of Athlectics from day one.

Are your playing devil's advocate, or do you believe what you typed? What did Pernetti and Julie raise when we needed it most? Would knucklehead Julie have had the connections to get the $25 million tax abatement? Doubt it.
Is it really up to the AD to get a tax abatement?

As the state's flagship state u.. Rutgers should have politicians lining up to help it out.

The Big Ten Build Fund officially launched in January of 2016. Hobbs was hired as AD November 29, 2015. Are you telling me that the the Big Ten Build was his idea? That he created it in his first month on the job? That he negotiated with RWJ/Barnabas Health to be the strategic partner for that build fund all in his first month on the job?

Again, Hobbs hasn't denied it. So it's not a question of whether to trust "the nj.com crew." We know they're telling the truth, and anyway they have the text apologizing, which is an admission.
It's an admission that he sent a text in which he “apologize for my words.” We don't know what the words are. Reporters and fake news media make stuff up frequently and trump up things to make them more salacious. The once vaunted NY Times has been caught doing this numerous times.

How can you say "We know they're telling the truth?" They have been exposed as prone to twist facts to fit an agenda to make Rutgers look bad many times before. See the Mulcahy firing. See the false information on the Rutgers budget.

You’re a real loser to try and take away a man’s livelihood because he had a bad moment, and it wasn’t even that bad.

Really? Did you think that about the Ash firing -- that Hobbs was taking "away a man's livelihood? Or did you think the firing was good. What Hobbs has done is way out of line for someone who is supposed to be a leading executive.

What are you specifically referring to? You are making huge assumptions on three fronts--"so-called insiders," "OK for this to happen" "No other B1G team hires this way." I ain't no insider. Not quite sure what "this" and what "hire" are you talking about?
I always like to keep things simple - many on this board seem to think hiring an AD from the recommendation of a politician is OK. I do not.

Reactions: Steve91562
It's an admission that he sent a text in which he “apologize for my words.” We don't know what the words are. Reporters and fake news media make stuff up frequently and trump up things to make them more salacious. The once vaunted NY Times has been caught doing this numerous times.

How can you say "We know they're telling the truth?" They have been exposed as prone to twist facts to fit an agenda to make Rutgers look bad many times before. See the Mulcahy firing. See the false information on the Rutgers budget.
You cannot defend him like this because you do not know if there was a recording of the call.

Going down this path just begs someone to produce the video... that is if what we discuss here had any impact.

I think the point many of us are making is OK, he said it. Big deal. Not worth a discharge over. People qre WAY TOO thin skinned. Leader spoken or not.

I tell you about the character of both Barchi and Hobbs. Barchi has been to the Scarlet Walk once. Hobbs has visited the Letterwinners on the recruiting lounge during a game never.

Reactions: RUBOWLMAN78
Is it really up to the AD to get a tax abatement?

As the state's flagship state u.. Rutgers should have politicians lining up to help it out.

The Big Ten Build Fund officially launched in January of 2016. Hobbs was hired as AD November 29, 2015. Are you telling me that the the Big Ten Build was his idea? That he created it in his first month on the job? That he negotiated with RWJ/Barnabas Health to be the strategic partner for that build fund all in his first month on the job?
I'm not telling you anything. But as much as the Hobbs haters would hate to admit it, he was quite experienced at fund raising and being involved with building major athletics facilities (Prudential Center). The website and the launch should have occurred before Hobbs was hired. But Julie was too busy pulling her foot out of her mouth or was being hidden away in a back room so that should did not make any more embarrassing statements to the press.

Nonsense.

Show a pattern of behavior, and I'll bite. As an isolated event, this is just histrionic pearl clutching.

I appreciate that everyone uses different language and I have no issue with cursing, but “f’ing scum” is next level stuff. I posted within the past week that Hobbs was feeling the pressure and I was shouted down. I may have been wrong, but an outburst like this is indicative of an overall attitude, of which I agree there is no evidence, or someone who let the pressure get to him.

Really? Did you think that about the Ash firing -- that Hobbs was taking "away a man's livelihood? Or did you think the firing was good. What Hobbs has done is way out of line for someone who is supposed to be a leading executive.

Out of line? Sure. Worthy of criticism and some form of repercussion? Sure. I didn't know there was a "call a reporter a name and you're fired" clause in his contract, though.

Whenever Barchi has stepped in and gone commando, it has not ended well. See the Mike Rice scandal, followed by the Pernetti firing, followed by the hiring of Julie.

Then the firing of Julie and Flood, and the rapid hiring of Hobbs, which was only supposed to be an interim hire.

People complain that he does not care about athletics. He actually has showed that he cares an awful lot. Athletics would have been a lot better of if he had cared less.

the issue it he doesnt get the juggling act of when to be hands on and when to be hands off...its almost as if he meddles when he shouldnt and is awol when he should but his overall goal of ending the subsidy is the real killer

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT